Table Manners

Pastor Dan Howard

Mar 12, 2021, 11:31:39 AM3/12/21
to The Family Table Devotions
This last week I spent time with the confirmand students talking about Communion. The Lord’s Supper. The Eucharist, The Paschal Feast. The sacraments are always a great conversation. Sacred Mysteries that  are given to the church for the purpose of reminding you that not only are your sin’s forgiven, but you are a part of God’s family. So I thought it would be good to remind you to on the importance of what we have been given. It’s important to be reminded of the great power that has been given to you. But with great power comes great responsibility. As Paul writes, “Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup” (1 Cor. 11:28-29; ESV). Why? Because, says Paul, anyone who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner will be guilty of concerning the body and blood of the Lord, and anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks to his own judgement. The Lord’s Supper has eternal consequences. Because of this Martin Luther asks every Christian to ask four questions before participating. They are as  follows:
1. Am I Truly Sorry For My Sin?
2. Do I Believe Jesus Will Forgive Me?
3. Do I Believe Jesus Body/Blood Are Here?
4. Do I Desire to Change My Sinful Life

Having examined yourself, you now know what you ought to know before receiving the Sacrament. You are a sinner condemned to death and hell, but Christ has saved you by His innocent suffering and death on the cross. He is risen from the dead, and in this Sacrament, He gives you the same body that was nailed to the cross for you, the same blood He shed for you. He does this for your forgiveness, life, and salvation. He gives you these gifts, hidden under bread and wine. The aim of this preparation is best summed up in Luther’s explanation of the Sacrament of the Altar: “that person is truly worthy and well prepared who has faith in these words: ‘Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.’” Therefore, thus believing, go joyfully to the altar, where Christ gives you Himself.

Can I get an Amen?

It’s always good to go back to the fundamentals, God bless my friends,

-Pastor Dan

John Hayman

Mar 16, 2021, 6:38:08 AM3/16/21
to Pastor Dan Howard, The Family Table Devotions
Amen!