Lost In A Forest of Only One Tree

The Family Table Devotions

Mar 15, 2021, 1:14:34 PM3/15/21
to The Family Table Devotions

I did not plant the forest; I was born there.

Lived my life there. I could navigate well there.

I could find the spot to look up and see the blue sky.

I could find the spots to hide from the rain, the wind, the storms.

The forest is not where I longed to live.

I knew there must be more.

Apart from the brief glimpse of blue sky. More.

More, apart from the trees. Hiding from the storms.

I cut down a tree.

It felt good.

I imagined more blue sky.

I cut another down.

I caught a glimpse of the blue sky.

I knew the spot,

With less trees, why was there less blue sky?

Yet more spots to hide from the rain, the wind, the storms?

I could cut down all the trees,

If I had the strength and force of character.

No need to hide from the storms. No need for blue sky.

No one to be born in the forest: forever after.

Cursed is the man who is hung on a tree.

The tree is death not life.

I can no longer navigate my forest.

The forest has only one tree.

I am lost.

See what St Paul says here.

Steve Skiver

John Hayman

Mar 16, 2021, 6:42:17 AM3/16/21
to The Family Table Devotions
I like the poem, but I dont really understand what the trees and shelter represent.

Steve Skiver

Mar 16, 2021, 5:00:58 PM3/16/21
to John Hayman, The Family Table Devotions
I'm always willing to advance the conversation!

Bearing in mind that this is a Lenten Meditation and Psalm 78: 1-4,https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+78%3A+1-4&version=ESV

The tree is a representation of sin, reflecting The Tree in the Garden of Eden; the forest is the many sins we have. The shelter is the relief we seek in those sins (the chief sin is idolatry). The blue sky is a representation for God. (I will publicly thank our friend Tim for this image!).

The point I am trying to make is that if one tries to take care of sin without the aid of Our Savior, the final state is Lost in a forest of one tree, sin.

I hope that gives you an insight...

Christ's Peace
Steve