Land Of Giants

The Family Table Devotions

Jan 11, 2021, 12:36:35 PM1/11/21
to The Family Table Devotions

We stand on the shoulders of giants. Isaac Newton's full quote is, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." [Read more here.] We all benefit from the great people of the past. Thinkers, inventors, teachers, who utilize information (oft times from the giants before them), distill and refine, then pass along new ideas that can be used as a platform for someone else to build on.

This is how a culture and society advances. Imagine trying to design and build a smartphone on your own. How long would it take just to figure out to make a start of it? There are countless steps that have to be in place before a finished product. Most times, we have no idea of the in-between steps that affect the end result. The giants, though, have seen the steps. We are relieved of the responsibility of knowing the inner workings and are blessed to use the end product.

 During the Renaissance there was a mantra: ad fontes, which means back to the sources.  The way for advancement for the giants of the Renaissance was to look backwards to the sources that were long forgotten or thought to be lost. The Church today needs to have it's own renaissance, back to the sources! The American Church today stands on the shoulders of giants; these giants have seen, distilled and refined the in-between steps. We again think: we are relived of the responsibility of knowing the inner workings and are blessed to use the end product.

There is a mantra that Pastor Dan has been using: Hope looks forward. I would like to suggest Hope also must look ad fontes. [The slogan that better flows off the tongue is "Hope looks backwards" but that is too easily misunderstood, and is counterproductive.] I won't insult you by saying read your Bible, however, how about study the Bible? Small Catechism? How about the entire Book of Concord? I have other suggestions. How far would you like to take it? How much further would you like to see? You can stand on my shoulders, however you will only be able to go where I take you. Be a giant for someone else.

Jesus, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen. I have written to you briefly to encourage you and to testify that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it. Peace to all of you who are in Christ Jesus!

[That last paragraph was from St Peter, I mean it too!]

Steve Skiver