Quotation Marks

Pastor Dan Howard

Jan 8, 2021, 10:52:14 AM1/8/21
to The Family Table Devotions

Who are we?
Who do we want to be?
What are we becoming?

These are questions that have echoed in my mind lately. Perhaps they have been in your thoughts as well. This is a difficult question because it forces us to quantify and qualify our lives. It forces us to be self-reflective. Because before I answer who are “we”, I have to answer “who am I”

And that is where we get into trouble, because we will try to define ourselves by what we consider most important to our identity: our race, our gender, our sexuality, our religion, our vocation, our family, our hobbies, our deeply held beliefs… and the list goes on.

We create an ideal, and we desire, we seek out those who share that ideal. It sorts us. It divides us. It forces us into many many different sub groups.

I becomes “we:
And “we” begin to look around.
“We” begin to be marketed to. We are told there is an “us” and a “them”
“We” are told who want to help “us” and who wants to hurt “us”
“We” are told what we need, and what “we” need to do.

So what are we to do when the world turns on “us”?
When things don’t go “our” way?
How are “we” to respond?

Two ways; with the “hard” truth and with “the” truth.

First, the “hard” truth: this is a sin cursed world. It is dark, and it is full of trouble, and it is in a spiral that will lead into destruction. Man is exercising power over other men and in doing so, that power is also sin cursed. We can’t change that.  In fact being a Christian will earn you an extra level of scorn:

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. - John 15:18-19

This is both devastating and the cause of the “us” and the “them”. that is what sin does.

So what is “the” truth? That as Christians we are anchored to something greater. God’s Word. Because Jesus continues…

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33

How did he overcome the world my friends? Political Power? An unconquerable army?

A cross.

Remember how foolish that is…by the world’s standards.
Remember how powerless that is…by the world’s standards.

We didn’t deserve the mercy, we didn’t deserve the grace, we didn’t deserve or earn the love. Peace should be beyond us. We should not know joy.

So how are we sent?

As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’  Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give. – Matthew 10:7-8

Verse 14 tells us how to deal with those who will become hostile:

And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. – Matthew 10:14

You don’t need to be hostile, you don’t need to argue, you don’t need to “win”.
You may receive scorn, you may get persecuted, you may be left out.
And because you have Christ you can smile in the midst of the suffering (all of 1st Peter)

But some will want to know how you can have joy in the midst of suffering (all of Philippians, seriously, check it out)

Jesus is Lord. This is a message of hope, and this shapes our response:

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect – 1 Peter 3:15

Hold on to the faith given to you. Stay calm, stay anchored, speak boldly, live gently.

All of these do boldly, as the Father crafts you into what He needs for His Kingdom.

-Pastor Dan