March 30, 2011

Will Schofield

Mar 31, 2011, 12:04:25 AM3/31/11
to the-dai...@googlegroups.com
New on 50 Watts: Deluxe Quixote (Jonathan Lippincott on the Arion Press Quixote). Related to this post, a visitor pointed out that Wiley's Mr. Unnatural was clearly a Crumb invention. This lead me to a LA Times article with the quote: "The charcoal and colored pencil drawing 'Mr. Unatural Eyes the Ape Run Ledge,' a response to R. Crumb's Mr. Natural character, mirrors his [Wiley's] own awkwardness with a lanky, language-averse, bathrobe-wearing dunce."

My new post on But Does it Float: graphic design by Dutch designer Jurriaan Schrofer. I spent way too much time trying to find a title before stumbling on that Dr. Seuss quote. Still, it was more productive than the 2.5 hours I just spent watching Top Chef.

The great group blog Metafilter linked to the post of Will Sweeney's storyboards. A link from Metafilter brings thousands of extra visitors, so that was nice, but more importantly I learned about The Game.

Another fun wikipedia find was the entry for fruit roll-ups (why I was there will make sense tomorrow), which contains the sentence, "The tradition of writing cryptic pictographic messages on fruit roll-ups did not occur for some years later, a tradition that continues to this day."

I found this on an auction site. I look forward to buying the Wiley retrospective.

WILLIAM T. WILEY (American, b. 1937)
Eerie Grotto ? Okini, 1982
Woodcut in colors, soft-ground etching and aquatintwilliam_wiley_small.jpg
william_wiley_small.jpg