It's a Sue Ellen and Shammy's Special Valentine's Dating Game Friday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 14, 2014, 12:38:36 AM2/14/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Valentines Dating Game Friday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

*We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café!

February 14th, 2014: Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

 ****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
or if you have any questions for Monica you can e-mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.orgc

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

* Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermons.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy some luck of the Irish. Coming soon our members Saint Patrick’s Day Limerick’s.

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Billy Covington songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Friday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join Mike and the breakfast club crew in the Donut and Coffee shop.

9:30am join your host Bill in the Café Fitness Zone for a good morning wake up work out!

*11am Join your host Patti W. Yes! You guessed it. It’s an early morning game of Zilch!

*2:30pm join your host TG Dragon blood in the Winner Circle for an afternoon game of Texas Hold Em! Terry will be in the room half an hour before the game starts to answer any questions.

*4 pm join your hosts Alan for an informative hour all about Chess. Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess! In the Knights of the Round Table room.

5pm Happy Hour for all Romantic Music Lovers  in theEasy Listening Room!

*8pm join your hosts Sue Ellen and Shammy for a Valentines special Dating Game!  All Romantics are Welcome to see how they do in Sue Ellen and Shammy’s Valentine’s Survey!

Midnight Join Shammy in the Café Comedy lounge for some after hours humor, it promises to be a hoot, and lots of laughs.

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names So Far:

Choc a Holics Terra and Kathy

Tornado Alley Patti and Soo Keea

Cool Breezer’s Geoff and Julie

Dragon Strike Force Terry and Cheryl

Stitches and Witches Lorraine and Tiffany

 The California Crew Gerald and Kim

****For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

Join Mike this morning for a cup of brew and a chat.

9:30am Café Fitness Zone:

Hi! This is Bill!
Also known as Mister Fitness Here on the Blind Café!
Join me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the Café Fitness
Zone!
For your morning exercise                          !
We're going to be working out!
We're going to be talking about nutrition!
We're going to be talking about how to put together an exercise program and
live a healthier better life!
The better you look, the better you feel, the better you feel about
yourself.
So Come in, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 9:30,
Right after the Donut shop,
and be ready to sweat and have some fun!
So join me, Bill, Mister Fitness,
and In the Café Fitness Zone.

11 am Zilch Out Room Sponsored by Patti W:

Join your host Patti W and her computer Spanky in our Zilch Out room for a great game of Zilch. All you need to know about this game is don’t Zilch Out.

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and   chat while we serve you a freshly made sandwich, croissant or for dessert try one of our French pastries.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Shawn.

2:30pm Texas Hold Em In The Winners Circle. Sponsered by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

 Join your host TG Dragonblood for Texas Hold Em. We will be holding tournaments Friday’s and Sunday’s on Quintons Playroom, you need to have the program downloaded. Terry will be in the room at 2pm to answer any questions.

4 pm Chess Chat In the   Knights of the Round Table Room. Sponsored by Alan Dicey:

Today at 4pm. Do you like to play Chess?  Would you like to learn how to play chess? Then join your host Alan and Shammy in their new room “Knights of the round table” Here’s what Alan has to say: "Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
I will tell you How You Can Learn to Play Chess Absolutely free of cost,
including receiving a free full size highest quality "Adaptive Chess Set"!
"The Gymnastics of the Brain" or "The Martial Arts of the Mind" feel the
"Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" or just have lots of fun, a
fantastic hobby, wonderful inexpensive recreation, playing blind or sighted
people alike.
A great way to meet others, take this games of Kings to whatever level you
like!
Each Week, I will be discussing all aspects of this great Sport, from how
to get started, to improving your game if you play already!

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think!

5pm Happy Hour in Easy Listening Room.:

Come listen to some Romantic Valentine’s Day Music!

8 PM The Dating Game In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your hostsSue Ellen and Shammy for a special Velentine’s Dating Game. It’s not just for Lovers, it’s for everyone! Can your team match the questions we asked our members in the survey we sent them? Come find out!

Midnight Open Mic Night in Café Comedy Lounge. Sponsored by Shammy Join your host Sham the man for side bursting jokes. Find out this weeks Blind Café Top 10 hilarious do’s and don’t’s on the Cafe, compiled by Shammy himself. This is an adult event.

11pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

  Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

****What’s for Dessert in the Members Corner:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for today:

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Tell that special person you love them today!

**** Joke of the Day:

Of Course! Boom Boom!

Don’t forget to come on out to the Café Comedy Lounge tonight and visit with Sham the Man for Open Mic night. Shammy wants to hear your jokes. Don’t forget he purchased Cheryl’s naughty joke book in the Auction so if you want to hear some good one’s tonight, he suggests you come on out and visit with him.. See y’all at midnight!

****Today in history by Alan Dicey:

TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Thursday, February 13, the 44th day of 2014.
There are 321 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
On this date, February 13, 1935, a jury in Flemington, New Jersey, found
Bruno Richard Hauptmann guilty of first-degree murder in the kidnap-death of
the infant son of aviator Charles Lindberg and his wife, Anne. (Hauptmann
was later executed.)
On this date in 1542, the fifth wife of England's King Henry VIII, Catherine
Howard, was executed for adultery.
On this date in 1633: Galileo in Rome for Inquisition.  Italian philosopher,
astronomer and mathematician Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to face charges
of heresy for advocating Copernican theory, which holds that the Earth
revolves around the Sun.
On this date in 1635 The Boston Public Latin School, the first public school
in what is now the United States was founded.
On this date in 1689: William and Mary proclaimed joint sovereigns of
Britain
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/william-and-mary-proclaimed-joint-sovereigns-of-britain
On this date in 1776: Patrick Henry named colonel of First Virginia
battalion
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/patrick-henry-named-colonel-of-first-virginia-battalion
On this date in 1822: Ashley advertises for western fur trappers
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ashley-advertises-for-western-fur-trappers
On this date in 1861, Abraham Lincoln was officially declared winner of the
1860 presidential election as electors cast their ballots.
Also, on this date in 1861: the First Medal of Honor action
 http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-medal-of-honor-action

On this date in 1905: President Teddy Roosevelt discusses America's race
problem
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/teddy-roosevelt-discusses-americas-race-problem
On this date in February 13, 1914, the American Society of Composers,
Authors and Publishers, also known as ASCAP, was founded in New York to
protect the copyrights of creators and ensure compensation for public
performances of their works.
On this date in 1920, the League of Nations recognized the perpetual
neutrality of Switzerland.
On this date in 1935, a jury in Flemington, New Jersey, found Bruno Richard
Hauptmann guilty of first-degree murder in the kidnap-slaying of the son of
Charles and Anne Lindbergh. (Hauptmann was later executed.)
On this date in 1939, Justice Louis D. Brandeis retired from the U.S.
Supreme Court. (He was succeeded by William O. Douglas.)
On this date in 1943, during World War II, the U.S. Marine Corps Women's
Reserve was officially established.
On this date in 1945Allied planes began bombing the German city of Dresden
during World War
II.
On this date in 1960, France exploded its first atomic bomb in the Sahara
Desert.
On this date in 1965: during the Vietnam War, President Johnson approves
Operation Rolling Thunder
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/johnson-approves-operation-rolling-thunder
On this date in 1968: during the Vietnam War, Additional troops ordered to
South Vietnam
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/additional-troops-ordered-to-south-vietnam
On this date in 1974, Nobel Prize-winning Russian author Alexander
Solzhenitsyn was expelled from the Soviet Union.
On this date in 1980, the 13th Winter Olympics opened in Lake Placid, New
York.
On this date in 1984, Konstantin Chernenko (chehr-NYEN'-koh) was chosen to
be general secretary of the Soviet Communist Party's Central Committee,
succeeding the late Yuri Andropov.
On this date In 1988, the 15th winter Olympics opened in Calgary, Alberta,
Canada.
On this date in 1991, during Operation Desert Storm, allied warplanes
destroyed an underground shelter in Baghdad that had been identified as a
military command center; Iraqi officials said 500 civilians were killed.
Also, on this date in 1991: Long-lost Twain manuscript authenticated
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/long-lost-twain-manuscript-authenticated

On this date in 1997The Dow Jones industrial average broke through the 7,000
barrier for the
first time, closing at 7,022.44.
On this date in 1998: Downhill skier Hermann Maier crashes in Olympics
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/downhill-skier-hermann-maier-crashes-in-olympics
On this date in 2000Charles Schulz's final "Peanuts" comic strip ran in
Sunday newspapers,
the day after the cartoonist died at age 77.
On this date in 2001: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon gets 10 Oscar
nominations
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-gets-10-oscar-nominations
On this date in 2002 John Walker Lindh pleaded not guilty in federal court
in Alexandria, Virginia, to conspiring to kill Americans and supporting the
Taliban and terrorist organizations. (Lindh later pleaded guilty to lesser
offenses and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.).
On this date in 2005Ray Charles won eight posthumous Grammy awards for his
final album, "Genius Loves Company."
On this date in 2008 seven - time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens denied
having taken performance-enhancing drugs in testimony before Congress.
Also, on this date in 2008 : Actor Mel Gibson completes DUI probation
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/actor-mel-gibson-completes-dui-probation
On this date in 2011 Egypt's military leaders dissolved parliament,
suspended the constitution and promised elections a moves cautiously
welcomed by protesters who'd helped topple President Hosni Mubarak.
On this date in 2012 Washington became the seventh state to legalize
same-sex marriage.
Ten years ago:
President George W. Bush, trying to calm a political storm, ordered the
release of his Vietnam-era military records to counter Democrats'
suggestions that he'd shirked his duty in the Texas Air National Guard.
Five years ago:
A $787 billion stimulus bill aimed at easing the worst economic crisis in
decades cleared both houses of Congress.
Peanut Corp. of America, the Lynchburg, Virginia-based peanut processing
company at the heart of a national salmonella outbreak, filed for
bankruptcy.
A female suicide bomber targeted Shiite pilgrims in Musayyib, Iraq, killing
at least 40.
One year ago:
Beginning a long farewell to his flock, a weary Pope Benedict XVI celebrated
his final public Mass as pontiff, presiding over Ash Wednesday services
inside Saint Peter's Basilica at the Vatican.
Today's Birthdays:
U.S. Air Force Major General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager (ret.)
is 91.
Actress Kim Novak is 81.
Actor George Segal is 80.
Actress Carol Lynley is 72.
Singer-musician Peter Tork (The Monkees) is 72.
Actress Stockard Channing is 70.
Talk show host Jerry Springer is 70.
Actor Bo Svenson is 70.
Senator Richard Blumenthal, D-Connecticut, is 68.
Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski turns 67 years old today
Singer Peter Gabriel is 64.
Actor David Naughton is 63.
Rock musician Peter Hook is 58.
Actor Matt Salinger is 54.
Singer Henry Rollins is 53.
Actor Neal McDonough is 48.
Singer Freedom Williams is 48.
Actress Kelly Hu is 46.
Rock singer Matt Berninger (The National) is 43.
Rock musician Todd Harrell (3 Doors Down) is 42.
Singer Robbie Williams is 40.
Singer-songwriter Feist is 38.
Rhythm-and-blues performer Natalie Stewart is 35.
Actress Mena Suvari (MEE'-nuh soo-VAHR'-ee) is 35.
Thought for Today:
"To go against the dominant thinking of your friends, of most of the people
you see every day, is perhaps the most difficult act of heroism you can
have."
- Theodore H. White, American political writer (1915-1986).
- - -*****An Interesting Article sent in by /Alicia on Diabetics:

miniature electronics can monitor glucose levels in tears of diabetics and then wirelessly transmit them to a handheld device.

"It doesn't look like much, but it was a crazy amount of work to get everything so very small," he said before the project was unveiled Thursday.

During years of soldering hair-thin wires to miniaturize electronics, Otis burned his fingertips so often that he can no longer feel the tiny chips he made from scratch in Google's Silicon Valley headquarters, a small price to pay for what he says is the smallest wireless glucose sensor ever made.

Just 35 miles away in the beach town of Santa Cruz, high school soccer coach and university senior Michael Vahradian, 21, has his own set of fingertip callouses, his from pricking himself up to 10 times a day for the past 17 years to draw blood for his glucose meter. A cellphone-sized pump on his hip that attaches to a flexible tube implanted in his stomach shoots rapid-acting insulin into his body around the clock.

"I remember at first it was really hard to make the needle sticks a habit because it hurt so much," he said. "And there are still times I don't want to do it - it hurts and it's inconvenient. When I'm hanging out with friends, heading down to the beach to body-surf or going to lunch, I have to hold everyone up to take my blood sugar."

The idea that all of that monitoring could be going on passively, through a contact lens, is especially promising for the world's 382 million diabetics who need insulin and keep a close watch on their blood sugar.

The prototype, which Google says will take at least five years to reach consumers, is one of several medical devices being designed by companies to make glucose monitoring for diabetic patients more convenient and less invasive than traditional finger pricks.

The contact lenses were developed during the past 18 months in the clandestine Google X lab that also came up with a driverless car, Google's Web-surfing eyeglasses and Project Loon, a network of large balloons designed to beam the Internet to unwired places.

But research on the contact lenses began several years earlier at the University of Washington, where scientists worked under National Science Foundation funding. Until Thursday, when Google shared information about the project with The Associated Press, the work had been kept under wraps.

"You can take it to a certain level in an academic setting, but at Google we were given the latitude to invest in this project," Otis said. "The beautiful thing is we're leveraging all of the innovation in the semiconductor industry that was aimed at making cellphones smaller and more powerful."

American Diabetes Association board chair Dwight Holing said he's gratified that creative scientists are searching for solutions for people with diabetes but warned that the device must provide accurate and timely information.

"People with diabetes base very important health care decisions on the data we get from our monitors," he said.

Other non-needle glucose monitoring systems are also in the works, including a similar contact lens by Netherlands-based NovioSense, a minuscule, flexible spring that is tucked under an eyelid. Israel-based OrSense has already tested a thumb cuff, and there have been early designs for tattoos and saliva sensors.

A wristwatch monitor was approved by the FDA in 2001, but patients said the low level electric currents pulling fluid from their skin was painful, and it was buggy.

"There are a lot of people who have big promises," said Dr. Christopher Wilson, CEO of NovioSense. "It's just a question of who gets to market with something that really works first."

Palo Alto Medical Foundation endocrinologist Dr. Larry Levin said it was remarkable and important that a tech firm like Google is getting into the medical field and that he'd like to be able to offer his patients a pain-free alternative from either pricking their fingers or living with a thick needle embedded in their stomach for constant monitoring.

"Google, they're innovative, they are up on new technologies, and also we have to be honest here, the driving force is money," he said.

Worldwide, the glucose-monitoring devices market is expected to be more than $16 billion by the end of this year, according to analysts at Renub Research.

The Google team built the wireless chips in clean rooms and used advanced engineering to get integrated circuits and a glucose sensor into such a small space.

Researchers also had to build in a system to pull energy from incoming radio frequency waves to power the device enough to collect and transmit one glucose reading per second. The embedded electronics in the lens don't obscure vision because they lie outside the eye's pupil and iris.

Google is now looking for partners with experience bringing similar products to market. Google officials declined to say how many people worked on the project or how much the firm has invested in it.

Dr. David Klonoff, medical director of the diabetes research institute at Mills-Peninsula Health Services in San Mateo, worked with Google to see whether glucose is present in tears and whether the amount of glucose is proportional to the amount of glucose in blood. He's still analyzing but optimistic about his findings and warns there are many potential pitfalls.

"Already this has some breakthrough technologies, but this is a moonshot, there are so many challenges," he said.

One is figuring out how to correlate glucose levels in tears as compared with blood. And what happens on windy days, while chopping onions or during very sad movies? As with any medical device, it would need to be tested and proved accurate, safe, and at least as good as other types of glucose sensors available now to win FDA approval.

Karen Rose Tank, who left her career as an economist to be a health and wellness coach after her Type 1 diabetes diagnosis 18 years ago, also is encouraged that new glucose monitoring methods may be on the horizon.

"It's really exciting that some of the big tech companies are getting into this market," she said. "They bring so much ingenuity; they're able to look outside the box."

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net