It's a Rick Rock's Hollywood Squares Wednesday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 12, 2014, 1:08:46 AM2/12/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, It’s a Hollywood Squares Wednesday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

Talking of host and hostesses they ask if you would kindly arrive at their games 15 minutes early so they can put you on a team. Thank you.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: February 12th, 2014.

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Faith Chapel. Press F6 and listen to Previously Recorded Sermons from Pastor Jonathan Brayfield and Pastor Volly Nelson.

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*The Pirate’s Cove. Press F6 and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet!

*Laughing Lepracaun. Press F6 and enjoy some luck of the Irish!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Wednesday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join your host Scooby and crew for our morning breakfast club.

*11am Farkle with Scooby!

2:30pm Texas Hold Em with your host Terry in The Winners Circle.

4pm Tiffany and Lorraine’s Cafe’s A Stitch in Time

*8pmJoin your host Rick for Hollywood Squares. Do you think your Captain’s answer is correct? Will your team get an X or an O?

 9:15pm Join Alicia for Pot Luck night. What game does Alicia have up her sleeve tonight?

10:30pm Join Neva in the Winners Circle for Farkle. Neva’s Farkle Tournament has moved to Wednesday nights!

11:30 pm Join your host Alan in Café after Dark for Late nighttime chat.

**New Events Menu:

New Event:

This Saturday Night at 8:30pm we will be starting our Talent Contest. We are also show casing our Auction bidders songs.  These songs will be permitted to be entered into the contest. We have some great talent on our site guys so come on out and support your fellow members, while enjoying a great evening of entertainment.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force

Cool Breezers

****For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all! This morning meet your host Scooby for some chat and morning laughs.

11am Farkle in the Winners Circle Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

 Join your host Scooby in the Winner’s Circle for a Game of Farkle.You must have RS Games downloaded to play!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and chat while we serve you a freshly made croissant sandwich, French pastry or delicious dessert. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches.

Vegetables
Sheepherder Potatoes
8 bacon slices, minced
2 onions, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Salt and pepper
Fry bacon until not quite crisp. Add onion and sauté until limp. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Center potatoes on tin foil placed in large casserole dish. Pour bacon mixture over potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Seal foil with small space between potatoes and foil. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
_____

Family Breakfast Brighteners
Canadian Style Bacon With Pineapple
2 pound piece Canadian style bacon (casing removed)
1 can (20 1/2 ounces) crushed pineapple
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup water
Place meat, fat side up, in ungreased baking dish, 8 by 8 by 2 inches. Mix pineapple (with syrup), honey, ginger and water; pour over meat. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of meat. Roast uncovered in 325-degree oven, basting meat occasionally with pineapple mixture, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until thermometer registers 160 degrees. Remove meat to warm platter; spoon pineapple mixture over meat.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

2:30pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Terry for his Tournament game. If you have a poker face you will be great at this game. Terry will open up the room at 2pm to answer any questions and to give instructions on how to play! You will need Quinton’s Playroom downloaded in order to participate.

4pmThe Café’s A Stitch in time:

Join your hosts Tiffany and Lorraine for Arts and Crafts! They are asking members to make a square for our charity drive. Let’s make someone warm this winter! If you have ever wanted to learn how to sow, crochet or knit, now is the time to learn as the ladies are going to show you how!

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think! Join our special host of the day Alan for afternoon tea and chat.

8pm Hollywood Squares in Games R Us sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your host Rick! Did your Captain give the correct answer. If not challenge him. Earn your team an X or an O in this fun game.

9:15pm Potluck game in Games R Us:

Join Alicia for tonight’s pot luck game. What game will Alicia have up her sleeve for you tonight?

10:30pm Farkle  in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join Neva for her Farkle Tournament Game.

11 pm Café after Dark opens Sponsored by Terra Lee:

  . Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day.

*****What’s for Dessert in our Members Corner?

**Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:

February 12
 National Plum Pudding Day
 National PB&J Day

***Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Today is hump day! Get over it! And start fresh!

 *** Today’s Joke of the day:

You just gotta love kids! Thanks again for these great jokes Sharon! > Sam was a 4-year-old who loved candy as much as his mom did. Sam's dad gave Sam's mom a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day. The box was heart-shaped and filled with tons of various chocolates. After a few days had passed, Sam went to the box and reached out to touch one of the pieces of chocolate. Sam's mom said, "Now Sam, you know that if you touch it you have to eat it."

> Sam then reached out and tenderly patted the top of every piece of candy with his little hand. He then turned to his mother and said, "Well, now I guess I have to eat them all."

Of course! Boom! Hahahahahaha

Don’t forget Friday night with Sham the man in our Café Comedy lounge. Shammy says see you at midnight for a barrel of laughs

****Beatles Memorabilia sent in by Alan Dicey:

Dear Friends,
I know that there are a lot of Beatles fans out there. I thought you might
like to read this article. It was published in the February 6 edition of
"the Toronto Star."

Beatles' Ed Sullivan memorabilia, saved from trash heap, could fetch
$1million
NEW YORK-A large piece of stage backdrop autographed by the Beatles during
their first live U.S. concert 50 years ago is headed to auction, where it
could draw $800,000 to $1 million.

Face caricatures accompany the signatures that the Fab Four penned between
sets of their historic Ed Sullivan appearance on February 9, 1964, which
they opened with "All My Loving" in front of 700 screeching fans in the
audience and 73 million television viewers.

The current owner of the 4-foot-by-2-foot plastic wall section is Andy
Geller, a longtime Beatles collector and television and film voice-over
artist. It is being sold in New York City on April 26 through the
Dallas-based auction house Heritage Auctions.
The bottom part of the 4-foot-by-2-foot section of a backdrop wall from the
New York theatre where The Ed Sullivan Show took place. Now the artifact,
believed to be the largest Beatles autograph, is heading to auction, where
it could go from $800,000 to $1 million.
A stagehand is responsible for getting the band members to sign the back of
the wall section known as a hard wall traveler, which is rolled back and
forth to reveal the next act. It's believed to be the largest Beatles
autograph.
"It was a spur of the moment thing," 81-year-old Jerry Gort said in a
telephone interview from his Calabasas, California, home. "They came down
from stage right from their dressing rooms; I gave them a marker and asked
them to sign the wall."
The band signed vertically from the bottom up: John Lennon first, then Paul
McCartney, who scribbled "Uncle Paul McCartney," followed by George
Harrison. Ringo Starr, shorter than the rest, couldn't reach the top so "I
put my arms around him and lifted him," said Gort, simultaneously putting
his foot on the wall to keep it from opening until Ringo finished signing
the piece.
Gort said Ringo then "made a mad dash to get to his drums" and the band
launched into "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

The wall also contains the signature of other acts that followed later in
the television season, notably from the Searchers, another British band,
which signed "The Searchers Were Here with Kilroy 4/5/64."
At the end of the season, the wall was destined for the trash heap - but was
saved by another carpenter for a young disabled Beatles fan.
Geller said he purchased the wall privately for more than $100,000 in 2002
without knowing its history.
According to Gort, his grandson called him excitedly in 2006 to say he had
read an article in Rolling Stone magazine that mentioned a guy in Los
Angeles who owned the Beatles-autographed wall that Gort so often talked
about. The grandson located a telephone number for Geller's agent and before
long, Gort and Geller met. It turned out they lived only kilometers apart.
The wall's whereabouts between when the boy owned it and Geller purchased it
remains a mystery. It's rumoured to have hung in a Baton Rouge bar once and
was owned by another Beatles collector. But Geller said he dealt with a
middleman and does not know who had it before him.
The 53-year-old Geller said the artifact was prominently displayed in his
home in a framed picture box and was his most significant piece of Beatles
memorabilia. He said he was selling it because "I'm not sure I'll be here
for the 75th" anniversary of the Beatles' U.S. invasion.
More practically, the father of three said he's always used the excuse that
he bought it as an investment. "Now I kind of get to prove that it is an
investment," said Geller, who has voiced trailers for such movies as
"Armageddon" and "Finding Nemo."

The wall is being sold with a signed letter from Gort and a letter of
authenticity from noted Beatles autograph expert Frank Caiazzo.
It will be on display in the window of Heritage Auctions' Park Avenue
gallery in time for Beatle fest, an autograph and memorabilia event at the
Grand Hyatt New York that runs Friday through Sunday.

The priciest Beatles collectible is John Lennon's hand-painted Rolls Royce
Phantom V, which sold at a 1985 auction for $2.23 million. The most
expensive Beatles hand-written lyric is for "All You Need is Love,"
auctioned for $1.25 million in 2005.

Heritage's music memorabilia consignment director Garry Schrum called the
wall "an amazing wild card," which could go for "$800,000 to $1 million,
maybe more."
-          - -

*****Yearly Dimensia Test sent in by Mike Tate:

 Your Yearly Dementia Test
(only 4 questions)

Yep, it's that time of year again for us to take our annual senior citizen test.

Exercise of the brain is as important as exercise of the muscles. As we grow older, it's important to keep mentally alert.  If you don't use it, you lose it!

Here is a very private way to gauge how your memory compares to your last test.
Some may think it is too easy, but the ones with memory problems may have difficulty.

Take this test to determine if you're losing it or not.

The spaces below are so you don't see the answers until you've made your answer.
OK, relax, clear your mind and begin.

#1. What do you put in a toaster?

Answer: 'bread.'  If you said 'toast', just give up now and go do something else. And, try not to hurt yourself.

If you said, bread, go to Question #2.

# 2. Say 'silk' five times. Now spell 'silk.' What do cows drink?

Answer: Cows drink water. If you said 'milk,' don't attempt the next question.Your brain is already over-stressed and may even overheat. Content yourself with reading more appropriate literature such as Women's Weekly or Auto World. However, if you did say 'water', proceed to Question #3.

# 3. If a red house is made from red bricks and a blue house is made from blue bricks and a pink house is made from pink bricks and a black house is made from black bricks,what is a green house made from?

Answer: Greenhouses are made from glass.

If you said 'green bricks', why are you still reading this???  PLEASE, go lie down!

But, if you said 'glass,' go on to Question #4.

# 4. Do not use a calculator for this:

You are driving a bus from New York City to Philadelphia.
In Staten Island, 17 people got on the bus.
In New Brunswick, 6 people get off the bus and 9 people get on.
In Windsor, 2 people get off and 4 get on.
In Trenton, 11 people get off and 16 people get on.
In Bristol, 3 people get off and 5 people get on.
And, in Camden, 6 people get off and 3 get on.

You then arrive at Philadelphia Station.

Without going back to review, how old is the bus driver?

Answer:
Oh, for crying out loud!

Don't you remember your own age?!?!  It was YOU driving the bus!

If you pass this along to your friends, pray they do better than you.

PS: 95% of people fail most of the questions!

*******Student builds Braille Printer with Leggo sent in by Alan Dicey:

Student Develops Braille Printer with Legos Americas February 6, 2014
SANTA CLARA: Shubham Banerjee, a San Francisco Bay Area seventh grade
student, has developed BRAIGO, a Braille printer using Lego Mindstorms EV3,
which slashes the price of a printer from more than $2000 to $350, thereby
giving a more cost-effective printer. Braille Printer Braille Printer.
Photo: India West
According to WHO reports, there are an estimated 285 million people with
vision disabilities worldwide, 90 percent of whom lives in developing
countries. At this moment, the cost of a Braille printer is more than $2000
for a basic version, which means many millions of people across the world
have limited access.
Banerjee's project uses the Lego Mindstorms EV3 kit costing $349 and some
add-ons from Home Depot costing another $5.
Theproject uses the base reference model known as Banner Print3r and was
redesigned with totally new software to print the letters A-Z. The project
is named BRAIGO v1.0, short for Braille with LEGO. Banerjee wishes to make
this project open source with the design and software readily available for
public consumption free of charge. It will thus give a new tool in the hands
of blind institutions or even parents with children with vision disabilities
to use this printer at an 80 percent savings from commercially available
products out in the market.
The young Indian American student has already received a special recognition
for his project on behalf of the California State Assembly and public
reception to the concept was overwhelming.
Banerjee was born in Hasselt, Belgium, to Indian parents. He moved to San
Jose, Calif., when he was 3 years old.
Later, he moved to Santa Clara and finished his elementary schooling at Don
Callejon School. He joined Magnolia Science Academy in Santa Clara in middle
school for a couple of months, before moving to Champion School in San Jose,
where he is in the 7th grade.
Source: India West

*******Today in history by Alan Dicey:

Today in History: Today is Tuesday, February 11, 2014 the 42nd day of 2014
with 323 days to follow.
The moon is waxing.  The morning stars are Mars, Saturn and Venus. The
evening stars are Jupiter, Mercury, Neptune and Uranus.  Those born on this
date are under the sign of Aquarius.
Today's Highlights in History:
On February 11, 2011, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak resigned in the face
of massive protests after three decades of authoritarian rule. Hosni Mubarak
stepped down after nearly 30 years as president of Egypt, bowing to intense
public pressure to resign after 18 days of massive, often violent protests
that spawned a reported death toll of more than 800 people. Mubarak, 82,
ceded power to the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.
On this date in 1776: during the Revolutionary War, Georgia's governor
escapes imprisonment
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/georgias-governor-escapes-imprisonment
On this date in 1778: Voltaire is welcomed home
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/voltaire-is-welcomed-hoem
On this date In 1800 Englishman Henry Fox Talbot a developer of photography
was born.
On this date in 1805: Sacagawea gives birth to Pompey
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/sacagawea-gives-birth-to-pompey
On this date in 1814, Norway claimed independence from the Kalmar Union.
On this date in 1847 Inventor Thomas Alva Edison was born in Milan, Ohio.
On this date in 1858 A French girl, Bernadette Soubirous, claimed to have
seen a vision of the Virgin Mary near Lourdes. French peasant girl
Bernadette Soubirous said the Virgin Mary appeared to her at Lourdes.
On this date in 1861: President-elect Lincoln leaves Springfield
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-leaves-springfield
On this date in 1909, boxer Max Baer and also film director Joseph L.
Mankiewicz, were born.
On this date in 1916: Birth control pioneer arrested
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/birth-control-pioneer-arrested
On this date in 1918: during World War 1, Russia's General Kaledin commits
suicide
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/russias-general-kaledin-commits-suicide
On this date in 1929 Italy recognized the independence and sovereignty of
Vatican City.
On this date in 1937 A sit-down strike against General Motors ended with the
company agreeing to recognize the United Automobile Workers Union.
On this date in 1941, Glenn Miller's Chattanooga Choo Choo was awarded the
first gold record, given for sales of 1 million copies.
On this date in 1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister
Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Josef Stalin wrapped up a conference at
Yalta in the Crimea by signing a series of agreements on the governance of
post-World War II Europe.
On this date in 1956: during the Cold War, Burgess and Maclean resurface
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/burgess-and-maclean-resurface
On this date in 1960: The Payola scandal heats up
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-payola-scandal-heats-up
On this date in 1963 American author and poet Sylvia Plath was found dead in
London, a suicide; she was 30.
On this date in 1965, during the Vietnam War, U.S.  and South Vietnamese
planes made the first bombing raids on North Vietnam.
On this date in 1970, Japan put a satellite in space, following the Soviet
Union, the United States and France.
On this date in 1975 Margaret Thatcher became the first woman to head a
major party in Britain when she was elected leader of opposition
Conservative Party.
On this date in 1979 Followers of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini seized power
in Iran, nine days after the religious leader returned to his home country
following 15 years of exile.
On this date In 1987, Corazon Aquino was sworn in for a six-year
presidential term in the Philippines.
On this date in 1990 South African black activist Nelson Mandela was freed
after 27 years in captivity.
Also, on this date in 1990: Underdog Buster Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/underdog-buster-douglas-knocks-out-mike-tyson
On this date in 1993, British Prime Minister John Major said Queen Elizabeth
II will pay income tax on her personal income as well as being subject to
capital and inheritance levies.
On this date In 1998, Olympic officials took away the gold medal of Canadian
snowboarder Ross Rebagliati after he tested positive for a minute amount of
marijuana. He blamed second-hand smoke.  (An arbitration panel restored his
medal two days later.)
On this date in 2005, playwright Arthur Miller, a fiery moralist whose plays
include Death of a Salesman and The Crucible, died at the age of 89.
On this date in 2006, U.S.  Adventurer Steve Fossett broke the solo flight
record when he landed near Bournemouth, England, covering 24,997 miles after
taking off from Kennedy Space Center in Florida four days earlier.
On this date in 2008 The Defense Department charged Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
with murder and war crimes in connection with the September 11 attacks.
Also, on this date in 2008: Tolkien heirs file Lord of the Rings lawsuit
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tolkien-heirs-file-lord-of-the-rings-lawsuit
On this date in 2009 Democrat John Dingell of Michigan became the
longest-serving member of the U.S. House of Representatives with more than
53 years of service.
Also, on this date in 2009 President Robert Mugabe swore in longtime rival
Morgan Tsvangirai as Zimbabwe's prime minister. A long, bitter political
fight in Zimbabwe apparently was resolved when President Robert Mugabe swore
in opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai as prime minister.
On this date in 2012 Singer Whitney Houston was found dead in a hotel room
in Beverly Hills, California, at age 48. (Her death was later ruled an
accidental drowning, with heart disease and cocaine use as contributing
factors.) Whitney Houston, an American pop singing star who sold millions of
albums and starred in movies, was found dead in a Beverly Hills, California,
hotel room. The Los Angeles coroner said the 48-year-old entertainer died of
accidental drowning in her bathtub but that cocaine and heart disease also
played a role.
On this date In 2013, the Medal of Honor was awarded to U.S.  Army Staff
Sgt.  Clinton Romesha, who led an Alamo-like defense of an outpost against
300 Taliban attackers in Afghanistan.
Today's Birthdays:
Conrad Janis Actor ("Mork and Mindy") 86
Tina Louise Actress ("Gilligan's Island") 80
Burt Reynolds Actor 78
Gerry Goffin Song writer 75
        Sergio Mendes Bandleader 73
Jeb Bush Former governor of Florida, brother of former President George W.
Bush 61
Carey Lowell Actress ("Law and Order") 53
Tammy Baldwin U.S. senator, D-Wis. 52
Sheryl Crow Rock singer, musician 52
Sarah Palin Former governor of Alaska 50
Actress Jennifer Aniston turns 45 years old today.
Brandy R&B singer, actress 35
Matthew Lawrence Actor 34
Kelly Rowland R&B singer (Destiny's Child) 33
Taylor Lautner Actor  ("Twilight" movies) 22
Actor Damian Lewis ("Homeland") turns 43 years old today.
Thought for Today:
"If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are
capable of becoming."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe__._,_.___

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter  most”

clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif