It's a Not so Newly Wed, Newly Wed Game Friday On Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Jan 30, 2014, 10:13:41 PM1/30/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Not so Newly Wed, Newly Wed, Friday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

*We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café!

Date: January 31st, 2014:

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to Pastor Jonathan and Pastor Volley's Sermons.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in the Laughing Leprechaun Room and get some luck of the Irish.

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

*  Blind Café’s 2013, Murder In the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elf’s. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with  the reindeer. For some reason  Confetti and crew  seem to  have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Bonanza

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Little House on the Prairie

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, Rodney Carrington Songs, James Gregory, and Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeanne Roberson, Hee Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Friday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join Mike and the breakfast club crew in the Donut and Coffee shop.

*11am Join your host Patti W. Yes! You guessed it. It’s an early morning game of Zilch! Hey Zilch players

Wow we have 7 winners to play in the January monthly tournament.

I need you all to be in the Zilch Room at 11AM to see who will win.

Patti

Alan, 1-30-14, 6200

Alicia, 1-23-14, 5200

Kim Carter, 1-10-14, 5150

Kathy Rose, 1-24-14, 5850

Rick, 1-16-14, 5250

Soo Keea, 1-28-14, 5450

Terra Lee, 1-11-14, 5000

*2:30pm Join your host TG Dragon in the Winner Circle for an afternoon game of Texas Hold Em!

*4 pm Join your hosts Alan for an informative hour all about Chess. Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess! In the Knights of the Round Table room.

5pm Happy Hour! Join Sweet P in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet Music!

8pm The Not so Newly Wed, Newly Wed Game in The Café After Dark. Sponsored by Tera Lee:

Join Rick Rock as he hosts this hilariously funny game, where we pair our café members for the night and we see how they do answering unpredictable questions!

*9:30 pm Join your host Neva for Friday night Café Craps in our Café Craps Dice Room.

Midnight Join Shammy in the Café Comedy lounge for some after hours humor, it promises to be a hoot, and lots of laughs.

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

February  15th, In addition to our talent show on the night of On Broadway, we will be playing our Auction songs. Please get with the person you bid on and make sure they have your song selection.

****For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

Join Mike this morning for a cup of brew and a chat.

11 am Zilch Out Room Sponsored by Patti W:

Join your host Patti W and her computer Spanky in our Zilch Out room for a great game of Zilch. All you need to know about this game is don’t Zilch Out.

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and   chat while we serve you a freshly made sandwich, croissant or for dessert try one of our French pastries.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by.

Date Nut Balls
2 sticks butter
1 pound dates
2 cups brown sugar
1 can coconut
1 cup nuts
4 cups Rice Krispies
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar
Mix butter, dates and sugar. Cook until mixture bubbles, then cook 6 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove and add coconut, nuts, Rice Krispies and vanilla. Roll into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables
Hot Cabbage
3 cups finely chopped cabbage
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
Sprinkle cabbage with salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Heat oil in skillet until very hot. Add the cabbage and stir fry about 2 minutes. Remove and add Italian dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
_____

Family Breakfast Brighteners
Rolled Eggs
For each Rolled Egg, beat 1 egg and 1/8 teaspoon salt until foamy. Melt 2 teaspoons butter, margarine or bacon drippings in hot 10 inch skillet; rotate pan to coat bottom with butter. Pour egg into skillet; slowly rotate pan to spread mixture into thin circle. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes. Loosen edge; roll up, using spatula and fork. When preparing more than one, keep Rolled Eggs warm on ungreased baking sheet in 275 degree oven. Nice served with cheese or mushroom sauce.

 Join your host TG Dragon forTexas Hold Em. Play each week to enter our quarterly final. Then go on to our end of the year final and become the Blind Café Texas Hold Em Champ!

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think!

4 pm Chess Chat In the   Knights of the Round Table Room. Sponsored by Alan Dicey:

Today at 4pm. Do you like to play Chess?  Would you like to learn how to play chess? Then join your host Alan and Shammy in their new room “Knights of the round table” Here’s what Alan has to say: "Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
I will tell you How You Can Learn to Play Chess Absolutely free of cost,
including receiving a free full size highest quality "Adaptive Chess Set"!
"The Gymnastics of the Brain" or "The Martial Arts of the Mind" feel the
"Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" or just have lots of fun, a
fantastic hobby, wonderful inexpensive recreation, playing blind or sighted
people alike.
A great way to meet others, take this games of Kings to whatever level you
like!
Each Week, I will be discussing all aspects of this great Sport, from how
to get started, to improving your game if you play already!

5pm Happy Hour! In The pirate’s Cove Room:

sail away to the Islands with some Jimmy Buffet music.

8pm The Not So Newly Wed, Newly Wed Game In Café After Dark. Sponsored by Tera Lee:

Join Rick Rock as he hosts this hilariously funny game, where we pair off our members and then ask some unpredictable questions and laugh as our members try to match each others answers.

9:30 PM Café Craps In Café Craps Dice Room:

Join your host Neva for our house game. Can you roll the highest score? Or at least 100 to enter this months tournament? Come by and find out.  All you need to know about this game is, don’t Crap out.

Midnight Open Mic Night in Café Comedy Lounge. Sponsored by Shammy Join your host Sham the man for side bursting jokes. Find out this weeks Blind Café Top 10 hilarious do’s and don’t’s on the Cafe, compiled by Shammy himself. This is an adult event.

12 am Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

  Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

****What’s for Dessert in the Members Corner:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for today:

January 31
 National Hot Chocolate Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Love is non-negotiable. It doesn't give up, it never abandons.

**** Joke of the Day:

.This was a cute joke sent in by Sharon today. Thanks Sharon. The minister, a true sports enthusiast, reached into his pocket, took out a quarter, flipped it into the air, glanced at it as it landed, then in typical referee fashion joyfully announced: "The ushers have elected to receive!" Of Course! Boom Boom!

Don’t forget to come on out to the Café Comedy Lounge tonight and visit with Sham the Man for Open Mic night. Shammy wants to hear your jokes. Don’t forget he purchased Cheryl’s naughty joke book in the Auction so if you want to hear some good one’s tonight, he s*****God Bless America:

Do you remember Kate Smith?
Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said
that when he and a million other guys first heard her sing "God Bless
America" on the radio, they all pretended to have dust in their eyes as they
wiped away a tear or two.

Here are the facts...
I converted the Youtube to a MP3 file, it is attached, or  the   link at the
bottom will take you to a video showing the very first public singing of
"GOD BLESS AMERICA". But before you watch it, you should also know the story
behind the first public showing of the song.

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression.
Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we'd have to go to
war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans.

This was the era just before TV, when radio shows were HUGE, and American
families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their
favorite entertainers, and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate
Smith.

Kate was also large; plus size, as we now say, and the popular phrase still
used today is in deference to her, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings".
Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV, but with her voice
coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.

Kate was also patriotic.  It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and
afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America, and faith
in her fellow Americans.
She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous
American song-writer, Irving Berlin (who also wrote "White Christmas") and
asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about
their country.  When she described what she was looking for, he said he had
just the song for her.

He went to his files and found a song that he had written, but never
published, 22 years before - way back in 1917. He gave it to her and she
worked on it with her studio orchestra.  She and Irving Berlin were not sure
how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not
take any profits from God Bless America.
Any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America. Over the years, the Boy
Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.

This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the
orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first
time, and starts singing. After the first couple verses, with her voice in
the background still singing, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, "You're
In The Army Now."  At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in
the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper; it's Ronald Reagan.

To this day, God Bless America stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our
country.
Back in 1940, when Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits
of her fellow Americans, I doubt whether she realized just how successful
the results would be for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship
and worry..... and for many generations of Americans to follow.  Now that
you know the story of the song, I hope you'll enjoy it and treasure it even
more.

Many people don't know there's a lead in to the song since it usually starts
with "God Bless America....." So here's the entire song as originally sung.

If Clicking on the below does not work, copy and paste it into your browser

uggests you come on out and visit with him.. See y’all at midnight!

****Superbowl facts sent in by Terry aka TG Dragon:

The Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos will be meeting in New Jersey this weekend for Super Bowl XLVIII. But football as we know it has a much older tradition than that.

American Football grew out of English sports such as rugby and soccer and became popular on American college campuses in the late 1800s. In 1876, a coach named Walter Camp, who is considered the 'Father of American Football,' helped produce the first rules of American football. Among important changes were the introduction of line scrimmages and down-and-distance rules.

Today's Random Fact:

The most watched television event in the United States is the Super Bowl. Though football games usually last around 3 hours, the ball is typically in play for only 11 minutes. Around 56 percent of the game on TV is devoted to replays.

***

Bonus Fact:

The NFL has an annual revenue of $9 billion, with a profit of 1 billion. Compared to the NBA and MLB, NFL players are the lowest-paid players, with salaries that average to less than $1.5 million dollars.

Just two years after finishing their careers, approximately 78 percent of NFL players go bankrupt.

*****The first web site fact sent in by Alan Dicey:

The First Website Ever Made
The First Ever Machine to Run a Web Server
The first website ever made was, simply put, it was a website made by the
World Wide Web's creator Tim Berners-Lee, who was working for CERN (European
Organization for Nuclear Research).
The first ever website was published on August 6, 1991 and served up a page
explaining the World Wide Web project and giving information on how users
could setup a web server and how to create their own websites and web pages,
as well as how they could search the web for information.  The URL for the
first ever web page put up on the first ever website was
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html
This link is no longer active and, unfortunately, nobody bothered to make a
copy of this original page, which tended to be updated daily anyways.  The
earliest version of it that was recorded was in 1992 and The first ever web
browser, called WorldWideWeb, was also created by Tim Berners-Lee.  This
browser had a nice graphical user interface; allowed for multiple fonts and
font sizes; allowed for downloading and displaying images, sounds,
animations, movies, etc.; and had the ability to let users edit the web
pages being viewed in order to promote collaboration of information.
However, this browser only ran on NeXT Step's OS, which most people didn't
have because of the high cost of these systems (this company was owned by
Steve Jobs, so you can imagine the cost bloat ;-)).In order to provide a
browser anyone could use, the next browser he developed was much simpler
and, thus, versions of it could be quickly developed to be able to run on
just about any computer, pretty much regardless of processing power or
operating system.  It was a bare-bones inline browser (command line / text
only), which didn't have most of the features of his original browser, but
at least could be used on pretty much any computer out there at the time and
allowed people to access the information on the web.
The first web server was also written by Tim Berners-Lee called CERN HTTPd,
the latter part standing for "Hypertext Transfer Protocol daemon".   For
those not familiar, a daemon is simply a program that more or less runs in
the background on a system doing whatever it is programmed to do; in this
case, listening for and responding to requests for web pages that exist on
the machine it is running on; thus this daemon would be called a "server".
Bonus Facts:
Tim Berners-Lee initially proposed a project that would later become the web
in 1980.  Nobody bit on the idea, so much later he decided to do it himself
and wrote a more detailed proposal for the web in March of 1989 and then yet
another proposal in November of 1990 with the help of Robert Cailliau; this
one was finally accepted.  These proposals outlined building a system based
on "Hypertext", with documents being able to link with other documents on
this "web" and these documents being able to be viewed through a client
browser.  This system would then run on top of the already existing
internet.  In the original proposal, he also wanted all pages to be editable
by users so that the authorship of these pages would be universal, with
everybody contributing their knowledge.
What made this system unique from existing systems of the day was the
marriage of the hypertext system (linked pages) with the internet;
particularly the marriage of one directional links that didn't require any
action by the owner of the destination page to make it work as with
bi-directional hyptertext systems of the day.  It also vastly simplified the
development of web servers and web browsers and was a completely open
platform making it so anyone could contribute and develop their own systems
without paying any royalties.  In the process of doing all this, he
developed the URL format, hypertext markup language (HTML), and the
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP).
Around this same time, one of the most popular alternatives to the web (and
indeed much more popular than the web at that time), the Gopher system,
announced it would no longer be free to use, effectively killing it with
everybody switching to the web. (nice move Gopher people, you almost changed
the world, but got greedy near the finish line ;-))
A mere one month after his 1990 proposal was accepted, Berners-Lee had built
the first web browser, first web server, and written the first web pages,
which he subsequently put online and made available for public consumption.
The "//" forward slashes in any web address actually serve no real purpose
according to Berners-Lee.  He only put them in because "it seemed like a
good idea at the time."  He wanted a way to separate the part the web server
needed to know about, for instance from the other stuff which is more
service oriented.  Basically, he didn't want to have to worry about knowing
what service the particular website was using at a particular link when
creating a link in a web page. "//" seemed natural, as it would to anyone
who's used Unix based systems.  In retrospect though, this was not at all
necessary, so the "//" are essentially pointless.
He chose the "#" for separating the main part of a document's url with the
portion that tells what part of the page to go to, because in the United
States and some other countries, if you want to specify an address of an
individual apartment or suite in a building, you classically precede the
suite or apartment number with a "#".  So the structure is "street name and
number #suite number"; thus "page url #location in page".A similar logical
thought process was used by the inventor of email, Ray Tomlinson, when he
selected the "@" symbol to separate the person's address with the domain; it
seemed natural to say, for instance, "ray at tomlinson.com".
Most people use the terms "World Wide Web" or just "web" and "internet"
interchangeably, even though these are two very different things.  Simply
put, the internet is a global network of networks of computers; the web is
simply one of the many services available on the internet, providing
facilities for accessing and connecting documents and other files available
on the internet.
Berners-Lee chose the name "World Wide Web" because he wanted to emphasize
that, in this global hypertext system, anything could link to anything else.
Alternative names he considered were: "Mine of Information" (Moi); "The
Information Mine" (Tim); and "Information Mesh" (which was discarded as it
looked too much like "Information Mess").
Three of the commonly held "fathers" of the actual internet were Vint Cerf
and Bob Kahn, who developed the "Internet Protocol" (IP) which defines how
packets of a file are to be sent from one machine to another through the
internet, and Paul Mockapetris, who developed the Domain Name System (DNS)
which, very simply put, maps domain names to IP addresses.  Though these
three are some of the more famous developers of the internet, there were
many others and the original internet from concept to working implementation
took about 10 years, starting around 1973 and brought fully online
officially around 1983, with some earlier demonstrations such as in 1977
linking SATNET, PRNET, and ARPANET.The concept of packet switching itself,
which is integral to the Internet Protocol (IP), was invented by Paul
Barran.
What the IP protocol essentially does is provide a way for packets of
information to be sent from one computer to another through the vast
internet.  Essentially, the packet is like a piece of mail where you've put
the address on it; the IP protocol then is used by computers on the internet
to determine, basically, what wires to send a packet through that will
eventually get the packet to the computer it is addressed to.
The first ever domain registered was Symbolics.com on March 15, 1985.  It
was registered by the Symbolics Computer Corp.  Since that time, well over
200 million domains have been registered, about half of which are registered
with the ".com" extension.
Berners-Lee's original browser was also an editor.  His goal here was to
allow people to not only browse the information available on the web, but
also be able to edit and add information to existing files, not unlike
wiki's, such as Wikipedia.
Ironically, pronouncing "www" as individual letters "double-u double-u
double-u" takes three times as many syllables as simply saying "World Wide
Web".  So, as Douglas Adams famously noted, the shortened version of the
phrase takes a lot longer to say than the actual phrase.
If you ever wondered about the proper way to write the phrase "World Wide
Web", Berners-Lee says, "World Wide Web is officially spelled as three
separate words, each capitalized, with no intervening hyphens."
Most web addresses begin with "www" because of the traditional practice of
naming a server according to the service it provides.  So outside of this
practice, there is no real reason for any website URL to need to put a "www"
before the domain name; the administrators of whatever website can set it to
put anything they want preceding the domain or nothing at all.  This is why,
as time goes on, more and more websites have adopted allowing only putting
the domain name itself and assuming the user wants to access the web service
instead of some other service the machine itself may provide.  Thus, the web
itself has more or less become the "default" service (generally on port 80)
on most service hosting machines on the internet.
While the "www" is merely on convention and not strictly necessary,
"http://" and "https://" specify two different protocols, one secure and one
not, and thus one or the other must be included.
The first non-British based web server was setup in the Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center (SLAC) in December 1991.
By November of 1992, there were 26 web servers running in the world.  By
October of 1993, there were about 200 web servers in the world.  Today there
are millions.
Also today, there are an estimated 110 million websites available on the
internet with well over 1 trillion unique urls, according to members of the
Google Search team.
The web's growth was at first fairly slow until the introduction of the
Mosaic web browser in 1993.  This was a graphical browser developed by the
National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of
Illinois.  Funding for this was through a U.S. government initiative,
specifically the "High Performance Computing and Communications Act of 1991.
This act was initiated by Al Gore, which is what he was saying in the Wolf
Blitzer interview where many claim he said he invented the internet.  Even
though his actual quote simply said, "I took the initiative in creating the
Internet", as in he introduced the initiative.  This sentence, taken out of
context, caused confusion over the context of the word "initiative" and
allowed opponents to construe that he said he invented the internet, which
isn't what he was saying at all when viewed in context.  Ironically, his
opponents were actually right though, in a way; he is lying in the above
statement.  He is saying he introduced the initiative which led to the
creation of the internet; in fact, the internet and the web are two very
different things.  He simply introduced the initiative that funded the web
browser (and some other advancements in the internet itself) that helped
make the web popular.  The internet had been around long before these
initiatives.
Prior to Mosaic's launch, the web was much less popular than other much
older protocols for dealing with files on the internet, such as Gopher and
Wide Area Information Servers (WAIS).
One of the most important things about Mosaic was it was very easy for every
day users to install and use and the creators offered 24 hour phone support
to help people get it setup and working on their systems.  It also included
the ability to view web pages with inline images (instead of in separate
windows as other browsers at the time).  Other than that though, it wasn't
nearly as advanced as some other browsers of the day.  So really about all
that set it apart was simply how easy it was to get setup and working for
even people who weren't particularly technically oriented.
The first web server was run on a NeXT computer; this computer was also used
by Berners-Lee to write the first web browser software.
NeXT computers were relatively high end workstations sold by Steve Job's
fledgling company NeXT.  NeXT computers ran a Unix-based NeXT STEP operation
system, not too dissimilar to early versions of OSX.  Job's love for naming
his product with trendy names was evident here as the NeXT machines were
more commonly known as "The Cube", due to the casing being a 1 ft x 1 ft x 1
ft die-cast magnesium cube.  This computer was not commercially successful
due to its relatively high price for what was offered. *looks at Macs*
Apple purchased NeXT in 1996 for 429 Million dollars using the OpenStep OS
as the foundation for OSX.
Berners-Lee also founded the W3C at MIT.  The W3C oversees the web's
continued development, setting standards and issuing recommendations on
improvements to the web.
Today, among a lot of other things, Berners-Lee is working on a project with
the British government to provide, free to anyone, all data acquired for
official uses by the UK Government at data.gov.uk.
The "in-line" console based browser developed by Berners-Lee was actually
the first browser I ever used back in the seventh grade on one of my
friend's computers, who was also the only person I knew who had access to
the internet itself.  We used it to look up a directory of phone numbers on
the web to prank call people a-la-Bart Simpson style.  Not a bad "first
usage" of the web for me, if I do say so myself.
1990 not only saw the first website go online, but also saw the Hubble Space
Telescope set in orbit by the space shuttle Discovery.
- - -

*********Today in history by Alan Dicey:

Today in History, Today is Thursday, January 30, 2014
Today's Highlights in History:
On this date January 30, 1933, Adolf Hitler became chancellor of Germany.
On this date in 1649 England's King Charles I was beheaded.
King Charles I executed for treason
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/king-charles-i-executed-for-treason
On this date in 1781: Maryland finally ratifies Articles of Confederation
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/maryland-finally-ratifies-articles-of-confederation
On this date in 1835: Andrew Jackson narrowly escapes assassination
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/andrew-jackson-narrowly-escapes-assassination
On this date in 1882 Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the 32nd president of the
United States, was born in Hyde Park, New York
On this date in 1883 James Ritty and John Birch received a U.S. patent for
the first cash register.
On this date in 1920 : Japan's Mazda founded
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japans-mazda-founded
On this date in 1933 The first episode of the "Lone Ranger" was broadcast on
radio station WXYZ in Detroit.
On this date in 1943 : during World War 2, RAF launches massive daytime raid
on Berlin
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/raf-launches-massive-daytime-raid-on-berlin
On this date in 1948 Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi
was murdered by a Hindu extremist. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the political
and spiritual leader of the Indian independence movement, is assassinated in
New Delhi by a Hindu fanatic.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/gandhi-sssassinated-in-new-delhi
On this date in 1968 The Tet offensive began as Communist forces launched
surprise attacks against South Vietnamese provincial capitals.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tet-offensive-shakes-cold-war-confidence
On this  date in 1969 The Beatles performed in public for the last time in a
45-minute gig on the roof of their Apple Records headquarters in London.
On this date in 1972 Thirteen Roman Catholic civil rights marchers were shot
to death by British soldiers in Northern Ireland on what became known as
"Bloody Sunday."
On this date in 2003 Richard Reid, a British citizen and al-Qaida follower,
was sentenced to life in prison by a federal judge in Boston for trying to
blow up a trans-Atlantic jetliner with explosives hidden in his shoes.
On this date in 2005 Iraqis voted in their country's first free election in
a half-century.
On this date in 2006 Coretta Scott King, the widow of the Reverend Martin
Luther King Jr., died at age 78.
On this date in 2007 Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system went on
sale.
Today's Birthdays:
King Abdullah II of Jordan turns 52 years old today.
Dorothy Malone Actress 89
Harold Prince Producer, director 86
Gene Hackman Actor 84
Tammy Grimes Actress 80
Vanessa Redgrave Actress 77
Dick Cheney Former vice president 73
Marty Balin Rock singer (Jefferson Airplane/Starship)72
Phil Collins Rock singer, musician (Genesis)63
Actor Charles S. Dutton turns 63 years old today.
Brett Butler Actress, comedian ("Grace Under Fire")56
Jody Watley R&B singer 55
Norbert Leo Butz Actor 47
Christian Bale Actor ("The Dark Knight," "Batman Begins") 40
Carl Broemel Rock musician (My Morning Jacket) 40
Wilmer Valderrama Actor ("That '70s Show") 34
Marcus Mumford Rock singer, musician (Mumford and Sons) 27
Thought For Today:
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're
being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away
as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
 - John Lennon -
- - -
“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”