It's a wits and wagers Tuesday on Blind Cafe

1 view

Julie Parker

Apr 21, 2014, 11:22:54 PM4/21/14
to The-dai...@googlegroups.com
Menu of Events Good Morning Members, its a Wits and Wagers Tuesday on Blind Café!! *Last night saw the Second battle between Sweet Peas and Sergeant Rocks, Under the Rocks! In our all-new Party Logos and the score by default this week due to a Mikey mishap was 35 to the Peas and 34 to the Under the Rocks. Adding to last weeks 28 to the Drill Sergeants 26 and the PeasPeas28 the total score to date is now is 60 to the Drill Sergeant and 63 to the Sweet Peas! Yeah Peas! Come on out next Monday and join the fun! Who said Blind people cant play Charades! The Drill Sergeant needs an extra player on his team, it wont help him but come on guys, see if you can help him out! *Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members. **“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café” Date: April 22nd, 2014: ****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to todays events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members. *BLIND CAFÉS Menu Favorites on the Menu every day: *Check out our recipe on todays menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net *Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members. . If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net *To chat to your friends on Blind Café fill out the form at: http://www.emissives.com *Mystery Theatre. Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members. *Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelsons Sermons. *Press F6 in the Fitness Zone. In this room you will find several different workouts and stretches that Mr. Fitness has put together for you. These MP3s are not only designed to help you lose weight but they will help with keeping things like your hands healthy with all the typing we do. Also our shoulders from all the sitting we do at the computers. So Come on into the Fitness Zone and work out when ever you want to just by pressing F6! *Press F6 in The Pirates Cove and sail away to the Island with Jimmy Buffet. *Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy Limericks recorded by our members! *Gadgets Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Aps. *I didnt know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials and self-defense presentations. *Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” * Blind Cafés 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth **Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, its definitely a must to listen to. *T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches, hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows. We have more shows coming soon. *The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Rodney Carrington Songs, James Gregory, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, Hee Haw Episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy! *Movies, Movies, Movies: We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willies cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and dont forget to bring the popcorn. **BLIND CAFÉ Senior Menu: 7 am Join Julie and the breakfast club crew in the Donut and Coffee shop. Its sure to be a crazy morning full of laughs, especially if Pitti Pat pops in for a visit! *11am Join Andrew for a game of Pig in the winners circle. 2 pm join your host Patti W and her computer Sparky for a game of Zilch! 7pm I-Phone Info with Jim. See you in Gadgets Tech Room with your I-Phone questions! 8pm Wits and Weights with Sergeant Rock and Julie P. 9pm Join Scooby for Connect 3 ****BLIND CAFÉS New Events Menu: New Event: Kentucky Derby Day. Yes guys! Its just around the corner. Race day! Kentucky Derby Day is one of my favorite days of the year. I have a house full of people, the pool is full, the Kentucky burgers are on the grill and the mint juleps are on ice. Its a day I like to share with my virtual friends as well and so I created Blind Café Derby Day just for you. Heres how it works. Create a name for your horse. Then a name for your jockey and the silk colors you would like him to wear. Then enter him into the Blind Café Kentucky Derby which is run on the first Saturday in May. All entries need to be submitted to Julie at ju...@blindcafe.netApril 30th is the cut off date for horse entries as we need to determine the number of races on race day. One winner from each race will be entered into the big Kentucky Derby Race at the end of the day. See if your horse and Jockey wins the $50 purse generously donated by Sergeant Rock. Its real easy, great fun and a day full of excitement! So get thinking about those horse and Jockey names and see you at the races! Programs are available for this event for a small donation of $3. The program will list each race with horse name, Jockey and colors. For a copy of the program contact ju...@blindcafe.net *Owners. Horse names. Jockeys and their colors are listed below. Sweet Ps Kentucky Derby Horse Race Names 1, Stewball. Owned by Sergeant Rock. Jockeys Name Peter Stalky. Racing Colors are brown with an Orange Cap! The horse is wearing brown cowboy boots with an Orange pin stripe around the top. 2, asset. Owned by terry aka TG Dragon. Jockeys name is i. c. butts- i. c. butts is wearing a red and black silk racing jacket, with red silk jockey shorts and black leather boots trimmed out in red. Horses asset will be wearing bright red racing shoes and bright red ribbons in her tail so everyone can keep track of her asset in the race 3, Cafes Galloping Gourmet. Owned by Scooby. Jockeys Name is Rocky Jockey. Jockeys shirt colors are   red, white and blue. Jockey shorts to match and a gold tank top. Alligator skin flip-flops and a pair of ray band sunglasses. Horse:  Brown Appaloosa, wearing a white chefs hat, Nike running shoes and a gold tattoo of mother on its chest 4,   Ocalas Pacos Pat. Owned by Scoobys wife Pat. Jockeys Name is Wilbur Post, wearing a white muscle shirt, purple Speedos, riding barefoot. The horse is a 6-year-old palomino, color:  pink powder puff, blue eye shadow, white ribbons tied to her ears and beige ballet slippers 5, Alicia Horse name: Red Fury Jockey name: Hot stuff Colors: jet black and fire engine red 6, Patti W Horses name: Wackier Jockey: Confused Color: Black & blue, no, pink & purple. He, no she, is so confused. 7, Wickey Wickey. Owned by Sweet P. Jockey Amazon Goddess Warrior. My horse is wearing a knife strapped to its a leg, a dagger around her neck and blades braided into her tail. 8, Wildfire. Owned by Matt. Jockeys name is Sergento. Colors are Red y 9, Dude alualualue. Owned by Willie. Jockies name is Willie or wont he. Jockies colors are   Zebra stripes wearing Clod hopper boots Work gloves and a hard hat.  Riding sidesaddle.  With long riding whip with carrot on string to hold in front of horse 10, at a snails pace Owner: Cheryl aka Mrs TG dragon Jockey: wrong way ray ray Wrong way ray ray is decked out in a purple silk racing jacket with a bright yellow snail logo on the back, and yellow jockey shorts trimmed in purple. At a snails pace is wearing a bright orange slow moving vehicle sign on her bottom and walking shoes. 11, Sweet Latice. Owner Latice. Jockeys Name Emmit. Jockeys colors Pink. 12, Rock On. Owner Rick Rock. Jockeys Name Stud Man. Jockeys Colors Maroon and Gold 13, All Shook Up. Owner Kim aka Ellendor. Jockey: Slidin Richter Dichter. Costume: Wearing red and black silks, wearing a hard hat and carrying a ruler and a geologists hammer. Motto: Be Prepared. Sire: Continental Drift. Dam: Fault Lines. Height: 16 hands. Color: Roan with white blaze on the forehead. Stable: Tip-Top Training of Toluca Lake. (Dont ever let an alliteration pass you buy.) Horses blanket is red and saddle is black. Horse is wearing the usual sort of iron horseshoes. Has black and red ribbons braided into the mane. 14, my little Pony. Owner Ricky Farley aka Junior. Jockey Roger. Colors Orange Jump Suit 15, Blind Fury. Owner Alan Dicey. Jockey Juanita. Wearing a Red and White Blind Café winners Napkin around its neck. 16, Lee Roy Brown. Owner Bobby Hart. Jockey Noble. Colors Blue and Purple 17, Grape Jelly. Owner Shammy. Jockey, P. Nut. Butter. Colors Yellowish Brown and Purple. Yuk! 18, Sunshine. Owner Soo Kia. Jockys name is smiley. Horse is a red swirl thoroughbred stallion. Jocky is wearing orange boots with gold flames, red shorts with orange and yellow flames, orange tanktop with a large sunburst with raise shooting out from the center, red sunglasses and a yellow sunhat with red and orange piping. His saddle has a gold accent with red trim and he has an orange and yellow braided rain. The horse has a huge smile on his face to show his eagerness. 19, Sifting Sands. Owner Moon Singer. Jockey: Willow she is wearing tan desert beaded sandals, a fringed long beaded skirt with silver belt with moons inset into the design, and a soft crème  halter top with a silver moon floating above a sand dune.  Her straw hat has a small tan and crème feather placed at a jaunty angle and a silver bead is on the topknot. Horse is a Buckskin thoroughbred mare, with silver strands braiding natural tan and brown clay beads in her mane. Her tail has silver braiding and she is wearing a saddle blanket that is light crème with silver moons adorning it. Her reigns are silver and crème..  The horse is prancing and ready to go. 20 The Old Gray Mare.Owner Neva. jockey, Old Sarge is wearing maroon and white for Texas A&M and his number is 12. Hes old and arthritic but he can still ride. Gig Em Aggies! Well, she aint what she used to be, but shes still got the heart to run. ****BLIND CAFÉS Classic Menu includes times and explanations of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard: 7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens: Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all! Join Julie P this morning for coffee and laughs. 10am Pig in The Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer: Join Andrew for a morning game of Pig. Just keep rolling the dice until either your luck runs out or you bank your points. This game is like press your luck. If you like frustration, you will love playing this game. 11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer: Join us for lunchtime chat and sandwiches, croissants or try one of our French pastries for dessert. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Shawn Sweet Potato Souffle 2 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes, cooked 1 cup sugar 3 eggs, slightly beaten 1/2 cup milk 1/2 stick butter or margarine 1 tablespoon vanilla Topping: 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 stick margarine 1/2 cup self-rising flour 1 cup chopped pecans Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Pour into buttered baking dish. Combine topping ingredients by hand. Spread over sweet potato mixture in dish. Bake at 350 degrees until topping is brown, 15 to 20 minutes. _____ The 4 Ingredient Cookbook: Main Dishes Pork Potato Casserole 4 to 6 pork chops 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch slices 1 can Cheddar cheese soup 1/2 can milk Place 2 layers of potatoes in bottom of a greased casserole dish. Place pork chops on top. Combine soup and milk. Pour over chops. Cover; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Uncover; bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings. _____ 2pm Zilch in the Zilch out room: Join Patti W and her computer Sparky for a game of Zilch. Just remember not to Zilch Out! 4pm I didnt know that learning center. Blind Café Bowling: Join Terry and sign up for our bowling League 4 pm Senior moments Sponsored by our Vets: Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti, for happy hour. Of course thats if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you cant remember what you were going to say, dont worry, youre in the right room. I think! 7pm I-Phone Info with Jim in Gadgets Tech Room. Sponsored by Jim ONeal: Join your host Jim with all your I-Phone questions. 8pm Wits and Weights in Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart: Join your hosts Sergeant Rock and Julie P for this game where the team that comes closest to the correct answer, without going over, wins double the points that were bid by the opposing team! Its a fun and challenging game. Come on in and let us put you on a team! 9pm Connect 3 In Games R Us: Join your host Scooby for an interesting game of Connect 3. Do you know what Door, Window and eye glasses could have in common? If you said a frame then this is the game for you. Come on by and let Scooby put you on a team! 11pm Café after Dark Opens. Sponsored by Terra Lee: . Anyone for a late night chat? Lets see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day. *****BLIND CAFÉS whats for Dessert Members Corner Menu: *Tiffanys Interesting Food facts of the day: April 22nd, National Jelly Bean Day   **Thought of the day: Thanks Sharon for todays thought of the day. ~ All I ask is a chance to prove that money cant make me happy ***Todays Joke of the day: This was sent in by Alan and I have to admit, I chuckled Alan. An old, blind cowboy wanders into an all-girl biker bar by mistake. He finds his way to a bar stool and orders a shot of Jack Daniels. After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender, \"Hey buddy, you wanna hear a blonde joke?\" The bar immediately falls absolutely silent. In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says, \"Before you tell that joke, Cowboy, I think it is only fair,Given that you are blind, that you should know five things: 1.  The bartender is a blonde girl with a baseball bat. 2.  The bouncer is a blonde girl. 3.  Im a 6-foot tall, 175-pound blonde woman with a black belt in karate. 4.  The woman sitting next to me is blonde and a professional weight lifter. 5.  The lady to your right is blonde and a professional wrestler. Now, think about it seriously, Cowboy.  Do you still wanna tell that blonde joke?\" The blind cowboy thinks for a second, shakes his head and mutters, \"No...not if Im gonna have to explain it five times Of course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahah ****Tips on Blindness. Sent in by Alan: Tips on Blindness Etiquette, Part 1 Below are some guidelines for interacting with someone who is blind, if this is new to you: First, relax! People who are blind or visually impaired are just people. Visual impairments vary. Vision loss is unique - it ranges from no vision at all to limited tunnel vision, to overall blurred vision; dont assume how much someone cant see. Its OK to use the word look. Feel free to use words that refer to vision during a conversation. Words such as see or watch arent offensive and are ok to use. Describe things. It is great to be thorough when you describe people, places, or things to someone who is blind. Dont leave out things because you think it is unimportant or unpleasant. Describing colors, patterns, designs, and shapes is perfectly acceptable. Use people first language. Refer to the person and then to the disability, such as \"a person who is blind\" rather than the blind Ignore the Guide Dog. Do not pet a guide dog, dont talk to the dog, dont offer it food, or distract it in any way while it is working. Any kind of distraction when a guide dog is under harness is dangerous to the safety of the owner. Ask if you can help. Ask first before taking care of a task for someone, such as changing television channels, cutting meat, or salting food. Most people with a visual impairment will ask you if they want or need assistance. We hope this was useful! Source: http://www.afb.org *****Mobility 101. Sent in by Alan: Mobility 101: So You Want a Guide Dog? Several tools are available to visually impaired travelers to help them get around confidently and independently. These include the white cane, remaining vision and low vision aids, electronic travel aids, and the guide dog. Some can be used in various combinations. If you are thinking about getting a guide dog, the following information might be helpful to you in making a decision. Use of a dog as a travel aid for people who are blind has been around for at least 1,000 years and can be shown in artwork from the 16th Century. Interest in formally training dogs specifically to guide arose following World War 1 and the first guide dog school, the Seeing Eye, was established in 1929. Since then, other schools have followed and there are many guide dog schools in the U.S. to choose from. All of the schools provide specialized training to the dog and then to the dog and handler team. Most schools require that applicants have little to no vision (the degree varies between schools). Most schools have a residential program (training at the school for approximately one month). A few offer home training. Each school has an application process involving providing general information, references, and documentation of ones eye condition and health considerations. A home interview is often done to gain information about ones lifestyle and travel experience and opportunities. Some schools require a video demonstrating travel. The pros and cons need to be considered in any decision. Some of the pros of guide dog ownership are: shared responsibility for travel, freedom to move at a steady pace and avoid obstacles, ease in traveling in new surroundings, increased opportunities for social interaction (a dog can be a good ice breaker), and a perceived crime deterrent. Some of the challenges presented are: added responsibility (maintaining a feeding schedule, grooming, obedience training, and picking up dog waste), dealing with the public, and cost. If the pros outweigh the cons, if you like dogs, are active, and are ready for the responsibility involved, a guide dog might be the right choice for you. Most schools have a waiting list, so here are some things you can do to prepare, even before applying. How to Prepare for a Guide Dog: 1. *Get your travel skills in order*.  In general, guide dog schools want to make sure you already have the O&M skills needed to travel confidently and independently. While training at the school, there is so much to learn about traveling with and handling a dog that the other travel skills need to be second nature. Based on O&M instructor questionnaires from several schools, it seems to be important that you get out and about on your own, can cross streets, maintain and regain orientation, and can handle being disoriented and dealing with people calmly and maturely. 2. *Get out and about ? be active*. You will be busy and active while training at the school. Most schools recommend that after you return home, you work your dog on a daily basis (for one or more miles). This provides exercise for both the dog and the handler and keeps the dog in training. Constant training and reinforcement are needed to keep the team working effectively. 3. *Practice traveling with a guide*. Traveling with a guide dog is a different experience from traveling with a cane. Using a cane provides lots of tactile and auditory feedback for orientation up close. Travel with a guide dog is more general. The cane contacts objects but the dog takes you around / avoids them. Although feedback is received through the guide dogs harness, you will no longer follow a shoreline to find specific landmarks along the edge of the sidewalk. You will rely more on movement (slopes, turns) and time and distance at a faster pace. You, directing a sighted guide through the environment using simple commands such as forward, right, and left can be good practice. More information is available through individual school websites. Check out the NFB website at https://nfb.org/resource-list-guide-dog-schools . The book, A Guide to Guide Dog Schools by Edwin Eames is available through the Talking Book Library and the Hadley School for the Blind (www.hadley.edu) offers an on-line course called ?Guide Dogs. If you will like to get more information about the guide dog lifestyle and experience, feel free to contact the Lighthouse at (850) 942-3658 or in...@lighthousebigbend.org to be put in touch with a guide dog team. - - - ******Today in history by Alan Dicey: TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Monday, April 21, the 111th day of 2014. There are 254 days left in the year. Todays Highlights in History: On this date in 753 B.C. : Rome founded According to tradition, on April 21, 753 B.C., Romulus and his twin brother, Remus, found Rome on the site where they were suckled by a she-wolf as orphaned infants. On this date: In 1509, Englands King Henry VII died; he was succeeded by his 17-year-old son, Henry VIII. On this date in 1649, the Maryland Toleration Act, providing for freedom of worship for all Christians, was passed by the Maryland assembly. On this date in 1777: during the Revolutionary War, British attack Danbury, Connecticut http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/british-attack-danbury-connecticut On this date, April 21, 1789, John Adams was sworn in as the first vice president of the United States. On this date in 1816: Charlotte Bronte born http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/charlotte-bronte-born On this date in 1836, an army of Texans led by Sam Houston defeated the Mexicans at San Jacinto, assuring Texas independence. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-battle-of-san-jacinto On this date in 1838: Naturalist John Muir is born http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/naturalist-john-muir-is-born On this date in 1863 : during the Civil War, Steights Raid begins http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/steights-raid-begins On this date in 1895: First movie projector demonstrated in United States shttp://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-movie-projector-demonstrated-in-united-states On this date in 1910, author Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, died in Redding, Connecticut, at age 74. On this date in 1914, U.S. military forces occupied the Mexican port of Veracruz at the order of President Woodrow Wilson; the occupation lasted until the following November. On this date in 1918, Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the German ace known as the \"Red Baron,\" was killed in action during World War 1. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/red-baron-killed-in-action On this date in 1930, a fire broke out inside the overcrowded Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, killing 332 inmates. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/prisoners-left-to-burn-in-ohio-fire On this date in 1945 : during World War 2, Red Army overruns German High Command as it approaches the capital http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/red-army-overruns-german-high-command-as-it-approaches-the-capital On this date in 1953 : Roy Cohn and David Schine return to U.S. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roy-cohn-and-david-schine-return-to-us On this date in 1955, the Jerome Lawrence-Robert Lee play \"Inherit the Wind,\" inspired by the Scopes trial of 1925, opened at the National Theatre in New York. On this date in 1960, Brazil inaugurated its new capital, Brasilia, transferring the seat of national government from Rio de Janeiro. On this date in 1965: during the Vietnam War, Intelligence reveals North Vietnamese units in South Vietnam http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/intelligence-reveals-north-vietnamese-units-in-south-vietnam On this date in 1967: GM celebrates 100 millionth U.S.-made car http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/gm-celebrates-100-millionth-us-made-car On this date in 1972, Apollo 16 astronauts John W. Young and Charles M. Duke Jr. explored the surface of the moon. On this date in 1973 : \"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree\" tops the U.S. pop charts and creates a cultural phenomenon http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/quottie-a-yellow-ribbon-round-the-old-oak-treequot-tops-the-us-pop-charts-and-creates-a-cultural-phenomenon On this date in 1975: during the Vietnam War, Thieu flees Saigon as Xuan Loc falls http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thieu-flees-saigon-as-xuan-loc-falls On this date in 1980, Rosie Ruiz was the first woman to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon; however, she was later exposed as a fraud. (Canadian Jacqueline Gareau was named the actual winner of the womens race.) http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/rosie-ruiz-fakes-boston-marathon-win On this date in 1989 : Chinese students begin protests at Tiananmen Square http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/chinese-students-begin-protests-at-tiananmen-square Also, on this date in 1989, the baseball fantasy \"Field of Dreams,\" starring Kevin Costner was released by Universal Pictures. On this date in 1992: Executions resume in California http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/executions-resume-in-california Ten years ago: Five suicide attackers detonated car bombs against police buildings in Basra, Iraq, killing at least 74 people. Mordechai Vanunu walked out of prison, 18 years after exposing Israels nuclear secrets. Karl Hass, a former Nazi officer convicted for the wartime massacre of 335 Italian civilians, died in a rest home near Rome, where he had been serving a life sentence under house arrest; he was 92. Washington Post columnist Mary McGrory died at age 85. Five years ago: Calling on Americans to volunteer, President Barack Obama signed a $5.7 billion national service bill tripling the size of the AmeriCorps service program. The sole survivor of a pirate attack on an American cargo ship off the Somali coast was charged as an adult with piracy in federal court in New York. (A prosecutor said Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse (AHB-dih-wah-lee AHB-dih-kah-dir moo-SAY) had given wildly varying ages for himself before finally admitting he was 18. Muse later pleaded guilty to hijacking, kidnapping and hostage-taking and was sentenced to more than 33 years in prison.) One year ago: On the first Sunday since the deadly Boston Marathon bombing, churches paused to mourn the dead and console the survivors while in West, Texas, residents prayed for comfort four days after a fertilizer plant explosion that killed 14 people. In Britain, the London Marathon sent out a powerful message of solidarity with Boston and its victims as runners crossed the line in front of Buckingham Palace with black ribbons on their chests (Tsegaye Kebede of Ethiopia won the mens race in 2:06:04). Joe Scarborough, a 50-year-old self-employed electrical contractor, rolled the first 900 series in Professional Bowlers Association history three straight perfect games. Deaths reported during the week ending April 19, 2014: Wednesday, April 9 Eddie Miller, NBA basketball player (Baltimore Bullets), 82. Saturday, April 12 Hal Smith, major leaguer (Saint Louis Cardinals), 82. Sunday, April 13 Fred Enke, NFL football player (Detroit Tigers), 89. He was the son of college basketball coach Fred A. Enke. Thursday, April 17 Jose \"Cheo\" Feliciano, salsa singer, in an automobile accident, 78. (Note: the singer and guitarist who recorded \"Feliz Navidad\" is still alive.) Gabriel Garcia Marquez, novelist (\"One Hundred Years of Solitude\"), of pneumonia, 87. Todays Birthdays: Britains Queen Elizabeth II is 88. Actress-comedian-writer Elaine May is 82. Actor Charles Grodin is 79. Actor Reni Santoni (REH-nee san-TOH-nee) is 76. Singer-musician Iggy Pop is 67. Actress Patti LuPone is 65. Actor Tony Danza is 63. Actress Andie MacDowell is 56. Rock singer Robert Smith (The Cure) is 55. Rock musician Michael Timmins (Cowboy Junkies) is 55. Actor John Cameron Mitchell is 51. Rapper Michael Franti (Spearhead) is 48. Actor Toby Stephens is 45. Rock singer-musician Glen Hansard (The Frames) is 44. Actor Rob Riggle is 44. Comedian Nicole Sullivan is 44. Football player-turned-actor Brian White is 41. Rock musician David Brenner (Theory of a Deadman) is 36. Actor James McAvoy is 35. NFL quarterback Tony Romo is 34. Actor Christoph (cq) Sanders is 26. Thought for Today: \"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.\" Mark Twain (1835-1910). - - - "We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Cafe. Where the members matter most"