It's a Wheel of Fortune Thursday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 20, 2014, 7:37:00 AM2/20/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning members, It’s a Wheel Of Fortune Thursday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

“We hope you enjoy your day, on Blind Café,”

Date: February 20th, 2014:

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Some of our games are played on text only sites and we play them together in the winners circle so we can chat. For your convienience you can download RS Games, Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchen’s  Golf from our winners circle by pressing F6.

*By pressing F6 in our bowling rooms you can download our bowling game there is a charge for the download.

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
or if you have any questions for Monica you can e-mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.orgc

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

* Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermons.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy some luck of the Irish. Coming soon our members Saint Patrick’s Day Limerick’s.

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members starred in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, Rodney Carrington Songs, James Gregory, and Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeanne Roberson, Hee Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Thursday’s Seniors Menu:

7 am Join Willie in the Donut and Coffee Shop for our Breakfast Club.

*2pm Zilch Join your host Shawn and his computer C 3 P O for a game of Zilch.

4 pm The Prayer get together with Andrew in our Faith Chapel.

7pm Tech Talk in Gadgets Tech Room. Join our Tech Team, Patti W, Jim O’ Neal, Lorraine and Geoff Eden.

* 8 pm Veteran’s join Sergeant Rock in our Veterans only room.

  *8pm join your host Mikey and Julie for Wheel of Fortune.

*9pm Musical Bingo with your hosts Julie and Patti W.

*10:30 pm join your host Matt in the Winners Circle for an impromptu game of Uno.

*11:30 Join Shammy for our late night chat in Café after Dark.

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Blind Café Bake Sale!

When: Saturday April 5th, 2014

Time: 2pm

Where: Café Premier Events Room.

Donations by:

Patti W.

1 batch of Cinnamon rolls baked Pitti Pat Style.

1 batch of sausage balls.

Kathy Rose.

1 batch of Wugar Cookies

1 batch of Peanut butter cookies

Alicia.

1 batch of oatmeal cookies

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Julie P.

1 batch of English Sausage Rolls

1 batch of Scotch Eggs

1 batch of Ricks famous balls

Karen.

1 batch of Raspberry and cream filled buns

Lorraine.

1 batch ofLorraine’s famous  Fudge your choice if you want Lorraine to add nuts.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge.

Neva.

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Tiffany will be donating several arts and crafts items and don’t forget to buy some raffle tickets for Lorraine’s home made quilt. $5 for one and 5 for $20. Imagine a brand new Queen size or your choice of size for $20 you can’t beat that guys!

If you wish to donate something to our bake sale, please send an email to ju...@blindcafe.net with details.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force-Terry and Cheryl

Cool Breezers-Julie and Geoff

Matt and Shawn Country All Stars

Choke a holics-Terra and Kathy

Witches and Stitches-Lorraine and Tiffany

California Crew-Gerald and Kim

Tornado Twosome-Patti and Soo kia

Lucky Strike On Fire!-Kevin and Cynna

Alicia and Connie

Paul and Latice

***For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

Join Willy and our breakfast club crew and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and   chat while we serve you a freshly made sandwich, croissant or French pastry. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches

Strawberry Cream Dessert
2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 36 squares)
6 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cartons, 1 (16 ounce) and 1 (8 ounce) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup (8 ounces) strawberry yogurt
Topping:
2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into an ungreased 13 by 9 by 2 inch dish. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Whisk in 1 cup whipped topping. Spread over the prepared crust. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Whisk in yogurt and 6 cups of whipped topping until blended. Pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Spread remaining whipped topping over strawberry layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over the whipped topping.
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables
Baked Onion Rings
2 egg whites
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large sweet yellow onion, cut into rings
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
Mix egg whites, salt and pepper. Dip onion rings into egg mixture and then coat with bread crumbs. Place in single layer on greased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
Makes 4 servings.
_____

  2 pm Zilch Out Room Sponsored by Patti W:

Join your host Shawn and   his computer C 3 P O the Zilch out room. All you need to know about this game is don’t Zilch out!

4 pm the prayer get together in our Faith Chapel:

Join your host Andrew for The prayer get together. Bring prayer requests
before the throne of god. The following areas can be lifted up in
prayer ourselves, the world, our governments and much more. The
whole hour will go as the lord leads it and will take as much time as
it needs.  So come one and all and pray

4 pm Senior moments Sponsored by our Vets:

 Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think!

7 pm:  Tech Talk in Gadget’s Tech Room. Sponsored by Jim O’Neal:

Join Patti W, Lorraine, Jim   and Jeff. For tech talk. Bring along your I-Phone and computer questions.

8 pm Veteran’s only room. Sponsored by Sergeant Rock:

Veteran’s, please join Sergeant Rock, in our Veteran’s Only Room.

8pm Wheel of Fortune In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your hosts Julie, Mikey and Patti W for this new and creative game based on the popular T.V show Wheel of Fortune. Come spin the wheel, pick a letter and see if you can solve the puzzle. We even have a bonus round with the letters R.S.T.L.N and the vowel is E.

9pm Musical Bingo in Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

 Join your hosts Julie P and Patti for Musical Bingo.

Do you remember your hits of the 80s? Still bopping along to the sounds of the swinging 60s? Do you remember old and new movie themes? Can you identify cartoon characters or TV themes? Then this is the game for you.

Yes it's here the all-new Musical Bingo.

 The first team to call a bingo wins.

10:30 pm Uno in the Winners Circle Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Matt, for an informal game of Uno.

11:30 pm Café after Dark opens Sponsored by Terra Lee:

  Come on in and Join Shammy! Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day.

****What’s for Dessert in the Members Corner:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Fact of the Day:

February 20
 National Margarita Day

**Thought of the day.

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

> Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blu-ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

*** Joke of the day:

> Customer: "What's the luncheon special today?"
>
> Waiter: "Beef tongue with onions."
>
> Customer: "Oh, yuck!! I could never eat anything that was in a cow's mouth!!"
>
> Waiter: "Very well. What will you have?"
>
> Customer: "Gimme a couple fried eggs."

Of course!  Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahahaha
. By the way Don’t forget to visit Shammy tomorrow night in the Café Comedy Lounge at midnight for open mic night! We don’t want him getting lonely in that room all by himself because he can get into a lot of trouble you know

****An interesting Chess Article from Alan:

ry of
chess, was born April 13, 1963, in the Russian republic of Azerbaijan. In
1985, at 22, Kasparov became the youngest world champion in history when he
defeated Anatoly Karpov.
Deep Blue's origins trace back to 1985, when Carnegie Mellon University
doctoral student Feng Hsiung Hsu began developing a chess-playing computer
called "ChipTest." The computer later became known as "Deep Thought," after
a machine in the science-fiction novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
by Douglas Adams. Hsu and his collaborators, Murray Campbell and Thomas
Anantharaman, were later hired by IBM, where they continued to work on the
chess-playing computer. In 1989, Gary Kasparov easily trounced Deep Thought
when they met for a 2-game match. The IBM team continued to refine their
supercomputer, which in 1993 was renamed "Deep Blue," a combination of Deep
Thought and Big Blue, IBM's nickname.
The six-game match between Kasparov and Deep Blue began on February 10,
1996, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia. Although Deep
Blue was capable of evaluating 100 million different chess positions per
second, the IBM team wasn't sure how the computer would perform in
competition and Kasparov was favored to win. Instead, much to his
frustration, the world chess champ lost the first game to Deep Blue.
However, the tenacious, brilliant Kasparov quickly staged a comeback and won
the second game. The third and fourth games ended in a draw, while Kasparov
won the fifth game. On February 17, the human chess master triumphed over
Deep Blue in the sixth game and took the match, with a final score of 4-2.
A heavily publicized 6-game rematch between man and machine began on May 3,
1997. The IBM team had been working to upgrade Deep Blue since its 1996
defeat to Kasparov and the improved version of the computer was able to
examine 200 million different chess positions per second. Kasparov took the
first game while Deep Blue won the second. The third, fourth and fifth games
ended in a draw. On May 11, Deep Blue won the sixth as well as the match,
3.5 to 2.5. The victory was a huge publicity boost for IBM. A disgruntled
Kasparov suggested Deep Blue had been aided by some sort of human assistance
during the games, charges that IBM denied. Kasparov demanded a rematch, but
instead, IBM retired Deep Blue.
Kasparov retained his world chess champion title until 2000. In March 2005,
he announced his retirement from professional chess. In 2007, he became a
candidate for the Russian presidency.

*****Random 7-11 Tid Bits sent in by Mike Tate:

RANDOM 7 ELEVEN TIDBITS

7-Eleven is the premier name and largest chain in the
convenience retailing industry. Based in Dallas, Texas,
7-Eleven, Inc., operates, franchises and licenses more than
6,840 stores in North America. Globally, 7-Eleven operates,
franchises or licenses more than 28,900 stores in 14 countries.

In 1927, convenience retailing began simply enough when an
employee of Southland Ice Company in Dallas started selling
milk, eggs and bread from the ice dock. Soon, the convenience
store was born and became known as 7-Eleven to reflect the 7
a.m. to 11 p.m. hours of operation.

7-Eleven was the first to . operate 24 hours a day . sell
fresh-brewed coffee in to-go cups ... have a self-serve soda
fountain . and offer super-size fountain drinks. 7-Eleven
aired the first television advertising by any convenience
store; the animated commercial featuring a singing owl and
rooster ran in 1949.

7-Eleven customers sip more than 13 million Slurpee beverages
each month. Favorite flavors are Coca-Cola, Minute Maid
Cherry and Mountain Dew. Since its introduction in 1966,
some 6 billion Slurpee drinks have been sold, just about
enough for every person on the planet to have slurped.

Of all its proprietary products, 7-Eleven sells more fresh-
brewed coffee than anything else -1 million cups each day.
That's more than 10,000 pots of coffee an hour every hour of
every day of the year. In fact, 7-Eleven could serve a cup
of coffee to every person in its hometown of Dallas every
single day - now that's a Texas-sized coffee break!

7-Eleven was the first retailer to offer fresh-brewed coffee
in to-go cups, introducing it in their Northeast stores in
1964. And now is the first retailer to add functional,
herbal enhancements to its coffee to go.

******Today in history by Alan Dicey:

TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Wednesday, February 19, the 50th day of 2014.
There are 315 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
On this day, February 19, 1942, President Franklin D.  Roosevelt signed
Executive Order 9066, clearing the way for the U.S.  Military to relocate
and intern Japanese-Americans during World War II.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-signs-executive-order-9066
On this date:  In 1473, astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was born in Torun,
Poland.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/copernicus-born
On this date in 1777: Congress overlooks Benedict Arnold for promotion
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-overlooks-benedict-arnold-for-promotion
On this date in   1803, Congress voted to accept Ohio's borders and
constitution.
On this date in 1807: Aaron Burr arrested for treason
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/aaron-burr-arrested-for-treason
On this date in 1821: Yankee General Francis Preston Blair Jr. born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/francis-preston-blair-jr-born
On this date in 1847: Donner Party rescued. On this day in 1847, the first
rescuers reach surviving members of the Donner Party, a group of
California-bound emigrants stranded by snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
On this date in 1851: Angry San Francisco vigilantes take the law into their
own hands
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/angry-san-francisco-vigilantes-take-the-law-into-their-own-hands
On this date in 1864, the Order of the Knights of Pythias, an international,
non-sectarian fraternal organization, was founded in Washington, D.C.
On this date in 1878 : Thomas Alva Edison patents the phonograph
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-alva-edison-patents-the-phonograph
On this date in 1881, Kansas prohibited the manufacture and sale of
alcoholic beverages.
On this date in 1884: Tornadoes strike the Southeast
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tornadoes-strike-the-southeast
On this date in 1915: during World War 1, British navy bombards Dardanelles
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/british-navy-bombards-dardanelles
On this date in 1934, a blizzard began inundating the northeastern United
States, with the heaviest snowfall occurring in Connecticut and
Massachusetts.
Also, on this date in 1934: Bob Hope marries Dolores Reade
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bob-hope-marries-dolores-reade
On this date in 1945, during World War II, some 30,000 U.S.  Marines began
landing on Iwo Jima, where they began a successful month-long battle to
seize control of the island from Japanese forces.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marines-invade-iwo-jima
On this date in 1959, an agreement was signed by Britain, Turkey and Greece
granting Cyprus its independence.
On this date in 1964, the French movie musical "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"
premiered in France.
On this date in 1965: during the Vietnam War, South Vietnamese coup
unsuccessful
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/south-vietnamese-coup-unsuccessful
On this date in 1970: Chicago Seven sentenced
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/chicago-seven-sentenced
On this date in 1974: Solzhenitsyn reunited with family
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/solzhenitsyn-reunited-with-family
On this date in 1976, calling the issuing of Executive Order 9066 "a sad day
in American history," President Gerald R.  Ford issued a proclamation
confirming that the order had been terminated with the formal cessation of
hostilities of World War II.
On this date in 1981: United States calls situation in El Salvador a
communist plot
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/united-states-calls-situation-in-el-salvador-a-communist-plot
On this date in 1984, the Winter Olympics closed in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.
Also, on this date in 1984: Yarborough wins fourth Daytona 500
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/yarborough-wins-fourth-daytona-500
On this date in 1996 : Patrick Roy gets 300th win as NHL goalie
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/patrick-roy-gets-300th-win-as-nfl-goalie
On this date in 1997, Deng Xiaoping, the last of China's major Communist
revolutionaries, died at age 92.
On this date in 2008, an ailing Fidel Castro resigned the Cuban presidency
after nearly a half-century in power; his brother Raul was later named to
succeed him.
On this date in 2010: Tiger Woods apologizes for extramarital affairs
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tiger-woods-apologizes-for-extramarital-affairs
Ten years ago:
Former Enron Corp.  Chief executive Jeffrey Skilling was brought to court in
handcuffs, charged with fraud, insider trading and other crimes in
connection with the energy trader's colossal collapse.  (Skilling was later
convicted of 19 counts and sentenced to 24 years and four months in prison,
but a federal judge in 2013 shaved a decade off that sentence, which means
Skilling could be released by 2017.)
The AFL-CIO endorsed Democrat John Kerry for president.
Five years ago:
President Barack Obama made a quick visit to Canada, his first trip outside
the U.S.  Since taking office; he reassured Prime Minister Stephen Harper
that the U.S.  Was not cultivating a protectionist streak despite its
economic difficulties.
A jury in Moscow voted unanimously to acquit three men in the killing of
investigative reporter Anna Politkovskaya.
One year ago:
The United Nations said the number of U.S.  drone strikes in Afghanistan had
risen sharply in 2012 compared with 2011.
A bail hearing began in Pretoria, South Africa, for double-amputee Olympian
Oscar Pistorius, charged with killing Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day;
the defense said Pistorius had mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder while
prosecutors said he had deliberately opened fire on Steenkamp as she cowered
behind a locked bathroom door.
Donald Richie, a Tokyo-based expert on Japanese cinema, died at age 88.
Today's Birthdays:
Singer Smokey Robinson is 74.
Actress Carlin Glynn is 74.
Former Sony Corp.  Chairman Howard Stringer is 72.
Singer Lou Christie is 71.
Actor Michael Nader is 69.
Rock musician Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell) is 66.
Actor Stephen Nichols is 63.
Author Amy Tan is 62.
Actor Jeff Daniels is 59.
Rock singer-musician Dave Wakeling is 58.
Talk show host Lorianne Crook is 57.
Actor Ray Winstone is 57.
Actor Leslie David Baker (TV: "The Office") is 56.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is 55.
Britain's Prince Andrew is 54.
Tennis Hall-of-Famer Hana Mandlikova is 52.
Singer Seal is 51.
Actress Jessica Tuck is 51.
Country musician Ralph McCauley (Wild Horses) is 50.
Rock musician Jon Fishman (Phish) is 49.
Actress Justine Bateman is 48.
Actor Benicio Del Toro is 47.
Actress Bellamy Young is 44.
Rock musician Daniel Adair is 39.
Pop singer-actress Haylie Duff is 29.
Actress Victoria Justice is 21.
Thought for Today:
"There is, I think, nothing in the world more futile than the attempt to
find out how a task should be done when one has not yet decided what the
task is."
Alexander Meiklejohn (MIHK'-ul-jahn), American educator (1872-1964).
- - -

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”