It's an On Broadway Saturday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 22, 2014, 12:36:29 AM2/22/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, it’s An on Broadway Saturday on Blind Café!

 “We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

Date: February 22nd, 2014:

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*By pressing F6 in The winners circle you can download RS Games, Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchen’s Golf. You will need these games for our Tournaments. Also you can download our bowling game in the Dragon Strike Zone by pressing F6 and then join our Café Bowling League.

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermons.

*The Pirate’s Cove. Press F6 and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Laughing Leprechaun. Enjoy some luck of the Irish by pressing F6 in this room!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

All in the family

Andy Griffith

Bonanza

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Little house on the prairie

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington’s songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S   Senior Menu:

** 1 pm Join Neva for Farkle in the winners Circle!

2:30pm Join Neva in the Winners Circle for a fun game of Apples to Apples.

4 pm join your host Sue Ellen for an afternoon game of Uno in the winners Circle!

6pm Martial Arts Presentation in the I didn’t know that Room:

Enjoy an hours Presentation of Judo and Martial Arts given by Robert Simpson a Martial Arts   expert.

*8pm on Broadway. Join your host Julie P and come by and share your talent with us or just sit back, relax and enjoy the entertainment.

 10:30pm join your host Trevor and his computer Madame Guillotine for a game of Zilch. Watch out for the Madame though! You never quite know what mood she is going to be in!

After Zilch: Join everyone in the Café after Dark for friendly Chat.

***BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Blind Café Bake Sale!

When: Saturday April 5th, 2014

Time: 2pm

Where: Café Premier Events Room.

Donations by:

Patti W.

1 batch of Cinnamon rolls baked Pitti Pat Style.

1 batch of apple crisp.

Kathy Rose.

1 batch of sugar Cookies

1 batch of Peanut butter cookies

Alicia.

1 batch of oatmeal cookies

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Julie P.

1 batch of English Sausage Rolls

1 batch of Scotch Eggs

1 batch of Ricks famous balls

Karen.

1 batch of Raspberry and cream filled buns

Lorraine.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge your choice if you want Lorraine to add nuts.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge.

Neva.

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Cheryl aka Mrs. TG Dragon

1 batch- approximately 40 plus buckeye's

 1 batch- approximately 40 Buckeye’s

 They are creamy peanut butter fudge type balls dipped in chocolate,   to resemble a buckeye. They are about as big as round as a half dollar or almost as big as a golf ball.

Tiffany will be donating several arts and crafts items and don’t forget to buy some raffle tickets for Lorraine’s homemade quilt. $5 for one and 5 for $20. Imagine a brand new Queen size or your choice of size for $20 you can’t beat that guys!

If you wish to donate something to our bake sale, please send an email to ju...@blindcafe.net with details.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force-Terry and Cheryl

Cool Breezers-Julie and Geoff

Matt and Shawn Country All Stars

Choke a holics-Terra and Kathy

Witches and Stitches-Lorraine and Tiffany

California Crew-Gerald and Kim

Tornado Twosome-Patti and Soo kia

Lucky Strike on Fire!-Kevin and Cynna

Alicia and Connie

Paul and Latice

Scooby needs a partner

Here is Monday and Tuesday’s Bowling Line up:

Monday February 24th, 2014 time: 9 p m eastern

1. cafe's gutter ball alley

Teams:

Tornado twosome Patti and soo keea

 Lucky strike on fire

Kevin and Cyyna

Patti: spotter

2. Cafe king pin alley:

Dragons strike force terry and Cheryl

Cool breezes  jeff and Julie

Terry: spotter

3. Dragons strike zone:

Country all stars

Matt and Shawn

Connie and Alicia

Shawn: spotter

4. Loraine’s lucky lanes:

Witches and stitches

Loraine and tiffany

Paul and lattice

Loraine: spotter

Tuesday February 25th, 2014 time:  11 a m eastern

Dragon’s strike zone

Carter’s California crew Gerald and Kim

chocoholic's terra lee and Kathy rose

Spotter: terry

Spotters need to make sure everyone is: method: aiming and swinging

Skill level: level two

Spotters will need to report team scores to terry or Loraine.

******BLIND CAFÉ’S Classic Menu includes times and explanation of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and   chat while we serve you a freshly made sandwich, croissant or French pastry. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches.

Fried Ice Cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs
2 large scoops French Vanilla ice cream
1 can whipped cream
Toppings of honey and chocolate syrup
Fry tortillas in oil and drain. Combine cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over both sides of fried tortillas; coat evenly. Combine remaining cinnamon mixture with cornflakes in another bowl. Pour onto plate. Place large scoop of ice cream in flakes and roll the ice cream around until entire surface is covered. Put ice cream on tortilla. Serve with honey and chocolate syrup.

1pm Farkle in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join Neva for a nifty game of Farkle! The winner will be entered into our Year End Tournament. Let’s see who is the best Farkaler on Blind Café! It might be you!

2:30pm Apples to Apples in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Neva for a fun game of Apples to Apples. Match a quirky answer to a serious definition.

4 pm Uno in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Sue Ellen for an afternoon game of Uno.

6pm Martial Arts Presentation in I didn’t know that Room:

Here’s what Robert has to say! I always love to talk about martial arts.
But tips like leaving a light and a radio on when you leave your house or
apartment, how ladies should carry their purses, walking confidently knowing
where you are walking, hundreds and hundreds of tips and tricks that will
keep you safer in everyday life.
You don't have to be Scared going out and about.  Get out enjoy life

I Started Judo in 1992.
I am a Former Member of a World Blind Judo team.
1998. International competitor Japan, Brought home team silver for USA.
Currently holds:
 A 2nd degree black belt in Hanbo-jitsu.
A 3rd. degree black belt Judo.
A 4th degree Black belt small circle ju-jitsu.
A 4th degree Black belt in traditional ju-jitsu.
A Blue belt in BJJ. Brazilian Ju-jitsu.
A USA Judo state certified coach.
I have been in the martial arts now for the past 21 years.
I have many medals and trophies.
As a legally blind person I discovered Judo and fell in love with it. I went
beyond learning self-defense, and made it a way of life.
I want to share what I learned with you!
Robert Simpson-Morrison.

Dude.

8pm on Broadway:

 Join your host Julie P and our Blind Café Members in the On Broadway Lounge for a true showcase of talent. Listen to the Café’s best as they sing and play instruments and even read poetry, or just come on in and be a part of the audience and enjoy their talent.

10:30 pm Zilch out room Sponsored by Patti W:

Join your host Trevor and his computer Madame Guillotine for a round of everybody’s favorite addiction, Zilch. All you need to know about this game is, don’t Zilch out.

11 pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

  Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

*******What’s for Dessert in the Members Corner:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food facts about today:

February 22
 National Cook a Sweet Potato Day
 National Margarita Day
 National Cherry Pie Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

> Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow.

*** Joke of the day:

This isn’t exactly a joke but it sure would be nice! I was in the six item express lane at the store quietly fuming.

Completely ignoring the sign, the woman ahead of me had slipped into the checkout line pushing a cart piled high with groceries. Imagine my delight when the cashier beckoned the woman to come forward looked into the cart and asked sweetly, "So which six items would you like to buy?" (Wouldn't it be great if that happened more often?)

>Of Course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahaha

****Today in history by Alan Dicey:

AY IN HISTORY, Today is Friday, February 21, the 52nd day of 2014.  There
are 313 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
  On this date February 21, 1965, Black Muslim leader and civil rights
activist Malcolm X, 39, was shot to death inside the Audubon Ballroom in New
York by assassins identified as members of the Nation of Islam. In New York
City, Malcolm X, an African American nationalist and religious leader, was
assassinated by rival Black Muslims while addressing his Organization of
Afro-American Unity at the Audubon Ballroom in Washington Heights.
On this date, in 1513, Pope Julius II, who had commissioned Michelangelo to
paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, died nearly four months after the
project was completed.
On this date in 1613, Mikhail Romanov, 16, was unanimously chosen by
Russia's national assembly to be czar, beginning a dynasty that would last
three centuries.
On this date in 1777: George Weedon is promoted to brigadier general
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/george-weedon-is-promoted-to-brigadier-general
On this date in 1828: Cherokee receive their first printing press
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/cherokee-receive-their-first-printing-press
On this date in 1848: Marx publishes Manifesto
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marx-publishes-manifesto
On this date in 1848: John Quincy Adams suffers a stroke
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-quincy-adams-suffers-a-stroke
On this date   in 1862, Nathaniel Gordon became the first and only American
slave-trader to be executed under the U.S.  Piracy Law of 1820 as he was
hanged in New York.
Also, on this date in 1862 : during the Civil War, North and South clash at
the Battle of Valverde
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-val-verde
On this date   in 1885, the Washington Monument was dedicated.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/washington-monument-dedicated
On this date in 1916, the World War 1 Battle of Verdun began in France as
German forces attacked; the French were able to prevail after 10 months of
fighting.
On this date in 1925, The New Yorker magazine made its debut.
On this date in 1926 : Garbo's first U.S. film opens
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/garbos-first-us-film-opens
On this date in 1927 : Erma Bombeck is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/erma-bombeck-is-born
On this date in 1944 : during World War 2, Tojo makes himself "military
czar"
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tojo-makes-himself-military-czar
On this date in 1945, during the World War II Battle of Iwo Jima, the escort
carrier USS Bismarck Sea was sunk by kamikazes with the loss of 318 men.
On this date in 1947, Edwin H.  Land publicly demonstrated his Polaroid Land
camera, which could produce a black-and-white photograph in 60 seconds.
On this date in 1948: NASCAR founded
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nascar-founded
On this date in 1952: Dick Button wins second Olympic figure skating gold
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dick-button-wins-second-olympic-figure-skating-gold
On this date in 1964, the first shipment of U.S.  Wheat purchased by the
Soviet Union arrived in the port of Odessa.
On this date in 1967: during the Vietnam War, Bernard Fall killed by mine in
South Vietnam
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bernard-fall-killed-by-mine-in-south-vietnam
On this date in 1970: during the Vietnam War, Kissinger begins secret
negotiations with North Vietnamese
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/kissinger-begins-secret-negotiations-with-north-vietnamese
On this date in 1971: Tornadoes move across Mississippi River Delta
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tornadoes-move-across-mississippi-river-delta
On this date in 1972, President Richard M.  Nixon began his historic visit
to China as he and his wife, Pat, arrived in Beijing.
On this date in 1981 : Dolly Parton cements her crossover success as "9 to
5" hits #1
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dolly-parton-cements-her-crossover-success-as-quot9-to-5quot-hits-351
On this date in 1989, the future president of Czechoslovakia, playwright
Vaclav Havel (VATS'-lahv HAH'-vel), was convicted for his role in a banned
rally and sentenced to nine months in jail (he was released in May 1989).
On this date in 1994, Aldrich Ames, a former head of Soviet
counterintelligence for the CIA, and his wife, Maria del Rosario Casas Ames,
were arrested on charges of spying for the former Soviet Union and later
Russia.  (Ames is serving a life prison term; his wife was released after
serving four years of a five-year conspiracy sentence.)
Ten years ago:
International Red Cross workers visited Saddam Hussein, who was in U.S.
Custody in Iraq, checking his health and allowing him to write a note to his
family.
Five years ago:
In a last full day of talks in Asia, U.S.  Secretary of State Hillary Rodham
Clinton stressed American and Chinese cooperation on the economy and climate
change.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul
to discuss the ongoing American strategic review of the U.S.  mission in
Afghanistan.
One year ago:
Drew Peterson, the Chicago-area police officer who'd gained notoriety after
his much-younger fourth wife vanished in 2007, was sentenced to 38 years in
prison for murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio.
Today's Birthdays:
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe is 90.
Movie director Bob Rafelson is 81.
Actor Gary Lockwood is 77.
Actor-director Richard Beymer is 75.
Actor Peter McEnery is 74.
U.S.  Rep.  John Lewis, D-Ga., is 74.
Film/music company executive David Geffen is 71.
Actor Alan Rickman is 68.
Actress Tyne Daly is 68.
Actor Anthony Daniels is 68.
Tricia Nixon Cox is 68.
Former Senator  Olympia J.  Snowe, R-Maine, is 67.
Rock musician Jerry Harrison (The Heads) is 65.
Actress Christine Ebersole is 61.
Actor William Petersen is 61.
Actor Kelsey Grammer is 59.
Country singer Mary Chapin Carpenter is 56.
Actor Jack Coleman is 56.
Actor Christopher Atkins is 53.
Rock singer Ranking Roger is 53.
Actor William Baldwin is 51.
Rock musician Michael Ward is 47.
Actress Aunjanue Ellis is 45.
Blues musician Corey Harris is 45.
Country singer Eric Heatherly is 44.
Rock musician Eric Wilson is 44.
Rock musician Tad Kinchla (Blues Traveler) is 41.
Actress Jennifer Love Hewitt is 35.
Singer Charlotte Church is 28.
Actress Ashley Greene is 27.
Actress Ellen Page is 27.
Actor Corbin Bleu is 25.
Actress Hayley Orrantia (TV: "The Goldbergs") is 20.
Thought for Today:
"In scandal, as in robbery, the receiver is always as bad as the thief."
Lord Chesterfield, English author and statesman (1694-1773).
- - -

*****How 2 major companies resolved a dispute sent in by Alan:

How Two Major Companies Used an Arm Wrestling Match Instead of Litigation to
Resolve a Dispute
David versus Goliath. Burr versus Hamilton. Ali versus Frazier. These fights
have captured the public's imagination like few others. On March 20, 1992,
another battle entered this conversation. Herwald versus Kelleher. Okay, so
most likely, you probably don't have any clue who Kurt Herwald and Herb
Kelleher are and why they decided to match up against one another, but you
soon will.

Prior to 1978, the airline industry was completely regulated by the
government. As in, if a seat on a flight from Washington DC to New York City
was a hundred dollars on United, it would be a hundred dollars on
Continental and American as well. Prices were the same for every airline due
to federal regulations, as dictated by the Civil Aeronautics Board, because
it was considered interstate commerce. That is unless the airline only flew
within one state. That was the thinking behind Texas businessman Rollin
King's creation of Air Southwest.

In 1968, King saw a gap in the airline market. Texas was a big state- bigger
than the UK, the Netherlands, Austria, and Italy combined- and it was rather
time-consuming to drive between cities. So, why not create an airline that
would fly passengers between cities? Legend has it that he conceived the
idea on a cocktail napkin in San Antonio, but King later admitted this
wasn't quite true, but made for a great story.

Since the airline only would operate within one state, their prices wouldn't
be regulated. They could charge whatever they liked - including drastically
lower fares. King, knowing he would need help to get this idea, literally
and figuratively, off the ground, approached his lawyer, Herb Kelleher. The
two Texans went into business together, creating Air Southwest.

As one would imagine, the rest of the industry did not take too kindly to a
rogue airline trying to circumvent the rules, so did what most companies do
in this situation, sicked their lawyers on the upstart. Texas International,
Barniff, and Continental were among the airlines that fought Southwest.
After three years of litigation, the Texas Supreme Court finally upheld
Southwest's right to fly in Texas. When the US Supreme Court decided to
withhold comment, it was a done deal. They changed their name to Southwest
Airlines and on June 18, 1971, Southwest began service to Dallas, San
Antonio, and Houston.

From the beginning, Southwest Airlines, led by King and Kelleher, fostered
it's reputation as a fun and zany airline. Their lower prices helped with
this. So did the (all-female) flight attendants wearing bright orange shorts
and go-go boots.

With the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, the airline industry deregulated
and Southwest began flying to places outside of Texas, with New Orleans
being the first in December of 1978.

Southwest Airlines had always used catchy, whimsical advertising and slogans
to promote their brand. "Love is Still Our Field" was their first slogan,
premiering in 1972. (Love Field in Dallas was, and still is, the location of
Southwest corporate headquarters.) Then, came "Somebody Up There Loves You"
and "THE Low Fare Airline."

On October 22, 1990, Southwest introduced a new slogan in Phoenix, "Just
Plane Smart." They used that slogan for about 15 months until they got a
call from Stevens Aviation in Greenville, South Carolina. Apparently, they
had been using the slogan "Plane Smart" prior to Southwest.

Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees and
letting the courts decide the matter, Stevens Aviation chairman Kurt Herwald
came up (along with executive vice-president Stephen Townes) with an idea.
They challenged the CEO of Southwest, Herb Kelleher, to an arm wrestling
match for the rights to the slogan "Plane Smart."

Herwald knew Southwest's propensity for doing things outside of the box,
plus he thought the publicity for the two companies would be far better in
the long run than fighting via the courts for a slogan. Kelleher excitedly
accepted.

"Malice in Dallas" was to be held on March 20, 1992 at the famed wrestling
forum, the Dallas Sportatrium in downtown Dallas. This quite obviously was a
home game for Kelleher and Southwest, with their headquarters mere miles
away. But Herwald was fine with it- anything for publicity.

Besides losing rights to the slogan, the loser of each round (it was going
to be a best of three competition) would have to donate a total of $5,000 to
the Muscular Dystrophy Association and Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland.

The days leading up to the match-up, both companies heavily promoted it.
Customers and well-wishers sent items to Kelleher that they thought would
help him win, including a box of Wheaties, a can of spinach, a bottle of
Wild Turkey, and "anabolic steroids from Mexico."

Both men showed up to the ring at nine A.M. on Friday, March 20th prepared
to fight. They also made a spectacle out of it. Herb Kelleher arrived in a
bus with cheerleaders wearing a white satin robe. Kurt Herwald, when
introduced, ran from the tunnel in a red robe with boos reigning down from
the pro-Southwest crowd.

After Kelleher arrived in the ring to the "Rocky" theme song and pre-match
tussling between the two corners died down, the competition began.

Immediately, Kelleher called in a "replacement" due to his "injured arm"
that he suffered while saving a child on his way to the arena.  That
replacement was J.R. Jones, the 1986 Texas arm wrestling champion. Jones and
Southwest Airlines easily won the first around.
The second round, Herwald brought in a "ringer" as well, one of his
employees - "Killer" Annette Coats. She faced off with Kelleher, even though
his arm still "hurt." Coats defeated him in a manner of seconds.

Now with theatrics out of the way, the real match began. The third round was
perfectly set-up with a winner-take-all between the two faces of their
companies. Herwald, in a red polo shirt, and Kelleher, with a cigarette
hanging out of his mouth, locked arms in a dead heat for a solid 35 seconds.

Finally, Herwald pinned Kelleher's arm for the win. Boos erupted from the
crowd in Dallas, but Herwald won fair and square, meaning Stevens Aviation
got to keep the slogan. But Kurt Herwald decided to do things a bit
different one more time. He allowed Southwest to use the slogan too as a
show of good sportsmanship and for Southwest's willingness to accept such a
crazy proposal in the first place when so many other companies would have
simply gone to court.

After the match-up, both heads of the companies agreed that determining the
dispute this way was a fantastic idea for publicity, their bottom line, and
a way to show the personalities of their companies. Said Herwald,"There's
too much litigation in business today and not enough leadership. We need
more guys like Herb Kelleher who are willing to say we don't need to go to
court all the time."
Keller told the New York Times that if Stevens and Southwest went to court
about this, it would have cost Southwest $500,000  and a few years to
decide. He also admitted that, "Frankly, Stevens had been using 'Plane
Smart' in their ads longer. We didn't know about it but they had it first.
So we might well have lost the case on top of all that money, effort, and
time spent on it."

Both companies believe that the "Malice in Dallas" had much to do with their
rise in profits directly after. Stevens Aviation, three years later, was
making nearly four times as much as it did in 1992. Ed Stewart, manager of
public relations for Southwest, estimated it at least generated six million
dollars in publicity, and a mere year later Southwest's stock prices had
doubled. And to top it all, $15,000 got donated to charity between the three
rounds. Even the President of the United States took notice. George H.W.
Bush sent a congratulatory letter to both participants calling it a
"win-win."
- - -

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net