It's a Neva's ABC Sunday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 1, 2014, 10:44:09 PM2/1/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Neva’s ABC. Easy as 1 2 3 Sunday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: February 2nd, 2014

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
Or if you have any questions for Monica you can e mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.orgc

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Press F6 In our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermon’s.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and Sail Away to The Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy the luck of the Irish!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny 2012 Christmas play that our Blind Café members starred in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elf’s. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

All in the family

Andy Griffith

Bonanza

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Little house on the prairie

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington’s songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*BLIND CAFÉ Senior Menu:

*2:30pm Join TG Dragonblood for his Texas Hold Em Tournament, in the Winners Circle.

4pm Sunday Afternoon services with Pastor Jonathan in our Faith Chapel.    Jonathan has music by top Christian singers and a very strong inspirational message for us to receive today. Praise the Lord everyone,

*8PM Join your host Mike for Buzz Word.

9 pm Join Neva for ABC. It’s as Easy as 1 2 3 in Games R Us!

*10:30 PM Join your host Patti W in The Winners Circle for one last game of Farkle for the week!

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

February 15th. In addition to our talent night we will be show casing our Fall Auction Songs. Please get together with the person who bid on you and find out what song they would like you to perform!

 ****BLIND CAFÉ’S Classic Menu includes times and explanations of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Join us for lunchtime chat and sandwiches, croissants or try one of our French pastries for dessert.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Shawn.

Lemon Cheese Squares
1/3 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Filling:
1 cup (8 ounces) small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
1 egg white
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
In a mixing bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Combine the flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into greased 8 inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. For filling: place the cottage cheese, egg, egg white and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon peel and baking powder; cover and process until blended. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into squares.
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables
Honey Carrots
1 pound package carrots, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Cook carrots in small amount of boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp tender. Drain, reserve 1/4 cup of the carrot liquid. Combine reserved liquid, honey, margarine and brown sugar. Stir well and pour over carrots. Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly.
Makes 6 servings.
_____

_____

2:30 pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join TG Dragonblood for his poker tournament. Terry will be in the room at 2pm to answer any questions you may have. You will need to have Quinton’s Playroom downloaded.

4pm Sunday Service In our Faith Chapel:

Join Pastor Jonathan Brayfield as he brings us an inspirational message today, along with some great Christian music.

4 pm Senior moments Sponsored by our Vets:

 Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti, for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room.

 I think!

8 pm Buzz Word In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your host Mike for Buzz Word, the game where the Buzzword is in every answer!

9pm Neva’s ABC. It’s as easy as 1 2 3 In Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join Neva for this original game that she made up. Can you figure out the word without any vowels? Its loads of fun. Come by and let Neva put you on a team!

10:30 pmFarkle In the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

  Join your host Patti W for one last game of Farkle for the week!

11 pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

Anyone for a late night chat. Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

*****BLIND CAFÉ’S what’s for Dessert Members Corner Menu:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:

February 2
 National Tater Tot Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

 > Today is a new day! Enjoy it while you can!

*** Joke of the Day:

It was Super Bowl Sunday and in our church the time for the collection of tithes and offerings was approaching.

The minister, a true sports enthusiast, reached into his pocket, took out a quarter, flipped it into the air, glanced at it as it landed, then in typical referee fashion joyfully announced: "The ushers have elected to receive!"

Of Course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

****Repeat of Superbowl Facts sent in by Terry:

****Superbowl facts sent in by Terry aka TG Dragon:

The Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos will be meeting in New Jersey this weekend for Super Bowl XLVIII. But football as we know it has a much older tradition than that.

American Football grew out of English sports such as rugby and soccer and became popular on American college campuses in the late 1800s. In 1876, a coach named Walter Camp, who is considered the 'Father of American Football,' helped produce the first rules of American football. Among important changes were the introduction of line scrimmages and down-and-distance rules.

Today's Random Fact:

The most watched television event in the United States is the Super Bowl. Though football games usually last around 3 hours, the ball is typically in play for only 11 minutes. Around 56 percent of the game on TV is devoted to replays.

***

Bonus Fact:

The NFL has an annual revenue of $9 billion, with a profit of 1 billion. Compared to the NBA and MLB, NFL players are the lowest-paid players, with salaries that average to less than $1.5 million dollars.

Just two years after finishing their careers, approximately 78 percent of NFL players go bankrupt.

******Bizzarre News sent in by Terry:

Two or three years ago there was the story of the guy who burned his house down while trying to burn a squirrel's nest out of his gutters. Then there was the guy who burned his house down trying to thaw the frozen water pipes in his crawl space with a blow torch.

But this family set their Alabama home on fire when they tried to burn off toilet paper stuck in a tree.

Cheryl Crausewell said they were cleaning their home after it was toilet-papered as part of a teen prank. Unable to get rid of pesky pieces on a tree's branches, she lit once piece of paper with a lighter in hopes that it would burn off.

But she said the wind blew the flaming piece into the yard and set the grass ablaze.

"It just popped out into a little patch and we tried to put it out and it just kept going," she said.

There were no injuries reported but the home was destroyed. On the plus side the toilet paper was no longer a problem.

Bizarrely,
Lewis

*******Practical Uses for Duct tape around the house sent in by Alan:

some of the practical uses of duct tape around the house, camping and in a
survival situation

34 Ways to Use Duct Tape for Survival
http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/duct-tape-for-survival/
by Gaye Levy
I have always claimed - and not altogether jokingly - that you could build a
house with Elmer's glue and Duct Tape.  Both items are readily available,
relatively inexpensive and easy to tote around.  I will set aside the
Elmer's for another time, though.
Today, I thought it would be fun to look at some of the practical uses of
duct tape around the house, camping and of course, in a survival situation.

First a bit of history
This miracle stuff was created during World War II when the US military
needed a flexible, durable, waterproof tape to use making repairs in the
field. A strong tape was created by Permacell, a division of Johnson and
Johnson for this purpose. As the story goes, the GIs called it "duck tape"
because it was waterproof - like a duck's back.
Enough of the boring details.
Just how can you use this miracle tape?

34 Uses of Duct Tape for Survival and Emergencies
Repair a tent:   You open your tent at the camp site and oops - a little
tear. No problem as long as you've brought your duct tape along.
Cover the hole with a patch; for double protection mirror the patch inside
the tent.
You'll keep insects and weather where they belong.
Make a rope:Twist one or several lengths of duct tape into a cord or rope.
Of course paracord would be a lot better and you do have some of that,
right?)
Make a clothesline:  Twisting a long piece of Duct tape makes a great piece
of rope to use as a clothesline.
Hold the feathers in your sleeping bag:If you have a hole in your down
sleeping bag, you can patch the hole with duct tape.  No more feathers
flying out all over the place.
Reseal packages of food:  Use duct tape to seal up partially opened packages
of food.  Fold over the top of the package and seal it tight with a piece of
duct tape. Works for cans, too.  Simply fashion a lid out of duct tape.
Hold your tent closed:A damaged zipper could leave your tent door flapping
in the wind. Stick the door shut, and keep the bugs and critters out.
Splint a broken tent pole or fishing pole: Tape a stick to the broken area
of your tent pole or fishing rod, and you might just get one last adventure
out of it.
Catch pesky flies:  Roll off a few foot-long strips of duct tape and hang
them from a branch or your tent or cabin rafters. The Duck Tape serves as
flypaper and when you depart, you can roll up the tape to toss it in the
trash.  No need to use nasty chemicals, either.
Repair your water bottle:Have a cracked water bottle or a pierced hydration
bladder? A little strip of duct tape to the rescue. Be sure to dry the
surface before you try to tape your patch in place since most forms of duct
tape don't stick to wet surfaces. You can also wrap plastic water bottles
with duct tape to prevent cracking and leaking.
Make a spear:Strap your knife to a pole and you have a trusty spear to fend
off beasts, or make one into your dinner.
Create a shelter:With some trash bags and some duct tape, and you have a
survival shelter roof, or sleeping bag cover, a wind break, or well, there
are kits of possibilities.
Wrap a sprained ankle:  If you trip and sprain your ankle, wrap the ankle
with duct tape to give it some support.
Make butterfly bandage strips:Cut two small strips of Duck Tape, and add a
smaller strip across their centers (sticky side to sticky side) to create a
makeshift butterfly suture.
Make a sling:Fold a length of DT down the middle, so that it is half the
original width and no longer exposing a sticky side.
Use the strap to make a sling for a busted arm.
Affix bandages: Place a sterile dressing over your wound, and strap it in
place with Duck Tape.
Blister care:  Cover the blistered area with a bit of cotton gauze, and tape
over the cotton. Make sure that the duct tape fully covers the cotton and
doesn't touch the blister at all.
Create a splint:A broken ankle or leg can be stabilized with ample splint
material, padding and duct tape. Pad the crotch of a forked branch with some
cloth and duct tape to fashion a quick crutch to go with your splint.
Make a bandage: Fold tissue paper or paper towel to cover the wound and
cover this with duct tape.
Make a temporary roof shingle: If you have lost a wooden roof shingle, make
a temporary replacement by wrapping duct tape in strips across a piece of
1/4-inch (6-millimeter) plywood you've cut to size. Wedge the makeshift
shingle in place to fill the space. It will close the gap and repel water
until you can repair the roof.
Fix a hole in your siding:  Has the stormy weather damaged your vinyl
siding? A broken tree limb tossed by the storm, hailstones, or even an
errant baseball can rip your siding. Patch tears in vinyl siding with duct
tape. Choose tape in a color that matches your siding and apply it when the
surface is dry.
Smooth your repair by hand or with a rolling pin. The patch should last at
least a  season or two.
Tape a broken window:  Before removing broken window glass, crisscross the
broken pane with duct tape to hold it all together. This will ensure a shard
does not fall out and cut you.
Mend a screen:  Have the bugs found the tear in your window or door screen?
Thwart their entrance until you make a permanent fix by covering the hole
with duct tape.
Repair a trash can:  Plastic trash cans that are blown over by a storm or
frozen in an ice storm often split or crack along the sides.  Repair the
tear with duct tape. Just be sure tape over the crack both outside and
inside the can.
Make a belt:  Run a piece of Duck Tape through your belt loops and stick it
to itself in the front. Overlap it about 4 or 5 inches and you'll still be
able to peel the belt apart when nature calls.
Repair your glasses:  If your glasses break while you are out in the
wilderness, tape them up.  You might look a bit nerdy but at least you will
be able to see.
Fix your rain gear: Keep the dry stuff dry, and keep the water out, by
mending your ripped rain gear with a few strips of duct tape.
Repair your clothing:  Repair rips and tears in your clothing by slipping a
piece of tape inside the rip, sticky side out, and carefully pressing both
sides of the rip together. The repair will be barely detectable.
Add extra insulation in your boots:  Make your winter boots a little bit
warmer by taping the insoles with duct tape, silver side up. The shiny tape
will reflect the warmth of your feet back into your boots.
Hem your pants:  No time to hem your new jeans?  Fake it with a strip of
duct tape. The new hem will last through a few washes too.
Make handcuffs:  Create handcuffs for the bad guys by taping their hands
together around a tree to prevent them from becoming a danger to themselves
or others.
Mark a trail:Use duct tape to blaze a trail or signal for rescue, especially
if your Duck Tape is brightly colored or reflective.
Make emergency repairs on your Bug Out Vehicle: Repair leaking hoses, broken
tail lights, windows that don't stay and even bullet holes with strips of
duct tape.
Hang perimeter or security lights:  String lights around your camp with a
rope make of duct tape.
Make a disguise:  Using trash bags and leaves, fashion a disguise then hold
it all together with duct tape so that you can hide in plain sight.
The Final Word For the past 70 years or so, duct tape has been considered
somewhat of a miracle worker.  For the fix-it-yourself types, duct tape has
become indispensable and has been used for things that I am sure the
original developers of the stuff never imagined.
Whose to say that it can't go on for the next 70 years?
Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

********Today in history by Alan Dicey:

Today in History, Today is Saturday, February 1, 2014
Today's Highlights in History:
On February 1, 2003, the space shuttle Columbia broke up during re-entry,
killing all seven crew members.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/columbia-mission-ends-in-disaster
On this date in 1781: Davidson College namesake killed at Cowan's Ford
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/davidson-college-namesake-killed-at-cowans-ford
On this date in 1790: First session of the U.S. Supreme Court
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-session-of-the-us-supreme-court
On this date in 1814: "The Corsair" by Lord Byron is published
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-corsair-by-lord-byron-is-published
On this date in: 1861 Texas voted to secede from the Union.
On this date in 1862"The Battle Hymn of the Republic," a poem by Julia Ward
Howe was published in the Atlantic Monthly.
On this date in 1884: the Oxford Dictionary debuts  On this day in 1884, the
first portion, or fascicle, of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED),
considered the most comprehensive and accurate dictionary of the English
language, is published.
On this date in 1885: Mormon president goes underground
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/mormon-president-goes-underground
On this date in 1896 Puccini's opera "La Boheme" premiered in Turin, Italy.
On this date in 1908: Portuguese king and heir assassinated
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/portuguese-king-and-heir-assassinated
On this date in 1920 The Royal Canadian Mounted Police was established.
On this date in 1943: during World War 2, Japanese begin evacuation of
Guadalcanal
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japanese-begin-evacuation-of-guadalcanal
On this date in 1946 Norwegian statesman Trygve Lie was chosen to be the
first secretary-general of the United Nations.
On this date in 1951: U.N. condemns PRC for aggression
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/un-condemns-prc-for-aggression
On this date in 1960 Four black college students began a sit-in protest at a
lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina, where they'd been refused
service.
On this date in 1968 During the Vietnam War, Saigon's police chief, Nguyen
Ngoc Loan, executed a Viet Cong officer with a pistol shot to the head. The
incident was later aired on National Television.
Also, on this date in 1968: Nixon announces his candidacy for president
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nixon-announces-his-candidacy-for-president
On this date in 1970: NHL goalie Terry Sawchuk posts 103rd shutout
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nhl-goalie-terry-sawchuk-posts-103rd-shutout
On this date in 1974: Serial killer Ted Bundy strikes again
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/serial-killer-ted-bundy-strikes-again
On this date in 1979 Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini received a tumultuous
welcome in Tehran as he ended nearly 15 years of exile.
On this date in 1982 "Late Night with David Letterman" premiered on NBC.
On this date in 1999 Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky gave a video
taped deposition for senators weighing impeachment charges against President
Bill Clinton.
On this date in 2004 Singer Janet Jackson's breast was briefly exposed
during the Super Bowl halftime show.
Also, on this date in 2004: Ford GT makes TV debut in Super Bowl ad
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ford-gt-makes-tv-debut-in-super-bowl-ad
On this date in 2009 The Pittsburgh Steelers won their record sixth Super
Bowl with a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
On this date in 2011 Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak announced he would not
run for a new term but rejected protesters' demands he step down
immediately.
Today's Birthdays:
Don Everly Singer 77
Garrett Morris Actor, comedian ("Saturday Night Live") 77
Joy Philbin TV personality 73
Terry Jones Actor, writer (Monty Python) 72
Mike Enzi U.S. senator, R-Wyo. 70
Bill Mumy Actor, writer ("Lost in Space") 60
Linus Roache Actor ("Law and Order") 50
Princess Stephanie Member of Monaco's royal family 49
Sherilyn Fenn Actress 49
Lisa Marie Presley Rock singer, daughter of Elvis Presley 46
Pauly Shore Actor, comedian 46
Actor ("Dexter") turns 43 years old today.
Big Boi Rapper (Outkast) 39
Actress - dancer ("Glee") turns 27 years old today.
Lauren Conrad Reality TV personality ("The Hills") 28
Harry Styles Singer (One Direction) 20
Thought For Today:
"The privacy and dignity of our citizens [are] being whittled away by
sometimes imperceptible steps.  Taken individually, each step may be of
little consequence.  But when viewed as a whole, there begins to emerge a
society quite unlike any we have seen -- a society in which government may
intrude into the secret regions of a [person's] life."
-          - - Justice William O. Douglas (1898-1980), U.S. Supreme Court
Justice  [Source: Osborne v. United States]

- - -
- - -

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net

Julie Parker

Feb 9, 2014, 1:34:14 AM2/9/14
[...]

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

[...]

*8PM Join your host Joe for Chain Reaction.

[...]

Lemon Tart
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 (9 inch) pastry shell, baked
Whipped topping
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Cook 2 minutes longer. Mixture will be very thick. Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in the lemon juice. Cover and cool completely. Fold in sour cream. Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting. Garnish with whipped topping.

_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables

Souffle Potatoes
2 2/3 cups mashed potato mix
1 egg, beaten
1 (2.8 ounce) can French fried onion rings
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Prepare mashed potato mix according to package directions. Add egg and onions and stir until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 1 quart dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes 6 servings.

_____

2:30 pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join TG Dragonblood for his poker tournament. Terry will be in the room at 2pm to answer any questions you may have. You will need to have Quinton’s Playroom downloaded.

4pm Sunday Service In our Faith Chapel:

Join Pastor Jonathan Brayfield as he brings us an inspirational message today, along with some great Christian music.

4 pm Senior moments Sponsored by our Vets:

 Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti, for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room.

 I think!

8 pm Chain Reaction In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your host Joe for Chain Reaction the game where the word links above or below!

9pm Neva’s ABC. It’s as easy as 1 2 3 In Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join Neva for this original game that she made up. Can you figure out the word without any vowels? Its loads of fun. Come by and let Neva put you on a team!

10:30 pmFarkle In the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

  Join your host Patti W for one last game of Farkle for the week!

11 pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

Anyone for a late night chat. Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

*****BLIND CAFÉ’S what’s for Dessert Members Corner Menu:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:

February 9
 National Bagels and Lox Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Ø      Did you hear the one about the corduroy pillow? It's making headlines.*** Joke of the Day:

Ø      I just love this groaner sent in by Alan! It is so silly it’s funny and they are my kind of jokes! You should have been in Sham the man’s Comedy Lounge Friday night! It was a hot! Jackman joined the crowd and that always makes for a hilarious evening without adding Alicia, Robert, myself, Alan, Mandy, Sookia and to many others to mention. Thanks for coming out guys, it was a great night! Oh! I suppose your waiting for Alan’s joke! Here it is! I don’t know if it was worth waiting this long for but here it is lol! From a forgetful cow you'd get Milk of Amnesia Of Course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahahahahaha****Guide Dogs Leads Professor sent in by Alan:

Ø      sp wind, listening to the sea gulls fussing
overhead.
Wylie loved chasing birds, but now he just leaned against her, letting her
hold him.
"I'm so sorry to disrupt your life like this," she whispered. After six
years, this would be their last night together.

It would take six months, a long journey and a new dog for her to see what
she never saw with Wylie.

Deni Elliott, 59, is an author, ethicist and chairwoman of the journalism
department at the University of South Florida Saint Petersburg.
She has published eight books and more than 190 academic articles and speaks
at conferences all over the country.

For half her life, she has been losing her sight.
You wouldn't know it to look at her. Her gray-green eyes are clear and wide.
She is good at visually tracking voices, seems to see whoever is speaking.
She never says she's blind. When people ask about her vision, she says
simply, "I don't see well."
Push her and she uses a metaphor. "Imagine you have a 1,000-piece jigsaw
puzzle. Well, I only have 100 pieces left and they're all over the place,"
she said. In the right light, a few more pieces fall into place - enough for
her to read the enlarged letters on her computer, or type in fonts the size
of headlines. Sometimes, everything suddenly goes black.

Last year, even the final puzzle pieces began to disappear.

Wylie, her 80-pound German shepherd guide dog, seemed to notice the change.
Deni's relationship with the dog, always uneasy, grew more complicated.
When Deni got Wylie, he was 8 weeks old with too-big ears. At the trainer's
house, he ran straight to her, plopped on her feet and cocked his head.
He stayed by her side constantly after that, going to the Saturday Morning
Market, the Quaker Meeting House, baseball games. He commuted from Tampa to
California, squeezing under her plane seat - flying 125,000 miles in a year.

Wylie was Delta's first Diamond Dog.
He saw her through her divorce and breast cancer. He understood full
sentences. He chased cats.
And he pulled so hard he hurt her shoulder.
Deni and Wylie were in a constant tug of war, both of them vying to be in
charge. She struggled to get him to yield to her, to stop yanking so hard.
But the more sight she lost, the more her guide dog seemed to treat her like
a blind person.
Deni told her students Wylie was her "big, goofy frat boy. He has a very
Kantian way of doing things. You know, Kant - the German philosopher," she
said, seizing every teachable moment. "Well, Wylie has that good sense of
principle, but he does his job out of duty, not love."

Finally, she said, "the frustration had become more than either of us could
handle." She decided she had to give up Wylie, find him someone who would
better suit his temperament.
And get herself a new dog.
"It's the right thing to do," she said, ever the ethicist. "It's for the
greater good."

So last January, after that tearful night on the beach in Hilton Head, South
Carolina, Deni and a friend delivered Wylie to a Non Profit in nearby
Columbia where he would learn to work with veterans suffering from
post-traumatic stress disorder.

The veterans program wanted Wylie right away. But Deni couldn't get her new
guide dog until March. For six long weeks, she wouldn't have a dog by her
side.
A white cane would help her find obstacles. But it couldn't steer her around
skateboarders or sniff out the bathroom.
When you have a dog, people focus on the animal, Deni said; they don't
really see you.
With a cane, everyone knows you're blind.

When it was time to say goodbye to Wylie, Deni led him to an office at the
nonprofit and whispered into his neck, "You're going to stay here for a
while. Have fun, okay?"
Wylie wagged his tail.
"Okay, then, be a good boy," Deni said, hoisting his harness over her left
shoulder. He wouldn't need that anymore.
Then she unfolded a white cane and tapped her way toward the door, alone.

Deni grew up near Washington, D.C., with an older sister, both parents and
always at least one dog. She didn't know how bad her eyesight was until her
third-grade teacher saw her squinting at the board. Glasses showed her a
world where trees had leaves instead of big green capes.
As she got older, her sight started deteriorating. Through college at the
University of Maryland, grad school at Wayne State in Detroit, and a Ph.D.
program at Harvard, Deni kept Seeing Eye doctors, adjusting her glasses,
chasing what was left of the light.
She kept thinking someone would find a cure while she could still see. So
she never fast-forwarded to what it would feel like to watch her friends'
faces fade, how much it would hurt to walk into a wall.

At Utah State, in her first tenured position, Deni finally got a diagnosis:
bilateral progressive optic neuropathy. A form of multiple sclerosis, which
would get worse. Soon she had to give up driving.

She qualified for a guide dog in 2000, when her vision dropped to less than
10 percent. By then, she was teaching at the University of Montana.

She never considered getting her partner from a guide dog school, where she
would have gotten a 2-year-old canine bred and trained for service work. "I
couldn't imagine putting my life in the paws of a dog I didn't know since
puppyhood," she said.
So she found someone who would train Oriel, her new golden retriever, to be
her partner. Oriel, she told everyone, was the perfect dog. "Like driving a
minivan. Steady and reliable."

After seven years of criss-crossing the country with Deni, Oriel got tired.
That's when Deni's trainer found Wylie, who came from a long line of service
dogs. The trainer drilled Wylie for almost a year before Deni started
working with him.
Wylie was her Porsche. Too sleek and fast, she said, too much for her. "I
always felt like I was holding him back."
Their relationship, she said, was "one of the biggest failures in my life."
Once she realized she couldn't make it work, she decided to let a
professional pick her next partner.

After months of research, she enrolled at Guiding Eyes for the Blind in
Yorktown Heights, Nork York. The school, which opened in 1954, breeds and
trains dogs - and has made more than 7,400 matches. Thanks to donations, the
dogs and training are free.

Deni qualified for a class for experienced handlers, so she would stay in
the dorm for only 10 days. The next opening was during her spring break.
As the date loomed, Deni wondered whether she could go through with the
trip. She hadn't been a student for years. And she had never been around a
bunch of blind people.
She wrote in her journal, "I'm afraid I'll be frustrated with a dog trained
to work with a REALLY blind person."

FEBRUARY
Without a dog she was alone, off-balance, insecure. No paws on her bed or
panting in her face. No one to walk her to school or curl beneath her desk.
The house was too quiet. At night, she started locking her windows.
"I'm tense all the time; I walk with my head down, thinking I'm going to
trip," she said. "A cane is an obstacle locator. A dog is an obstacle
avoider."
With a dog, her world was as wide as his field of vision, hearing and smell.
Now it stretched only as far as the cane could reach. "And it's so lonely -
there's this dog-sized hole in my life. No one comes up to say, 'Hello,
Sweetheart!' to the cane."

She could feel people staring, pitying the blind lady. She heard them
talking about her. "That poor woman." "Oh my god, I'd kill myself if I ever
. . ."

All those years, thinking that if she ignored her disability, nobody would
see it. Now everyone knew.

MARCH
Deni arrived at Guiding Eyes on a gray, snowy afternoon. An instructor
showed her to her dorm room, gave Deni the key and described the layout in
clockwise order:
Here's your closet, bathroom. Nightstand, bed, window. This is how you
adjust the blinds. Outer door, refrigerator. Desk, dresser. Another closet
with dog food.
Deni nodded, grateful and surprised. No one had ever oriented her to a new
space like that. When she stayed in hotels, she had to feel around for walls
and furniture, trying not to trip.

The next morning, she met the other students. Among them were Sonia, a baker
and mother of three; Erik, an occupational therapist; and Kara, a young
mother and artist who made her living painting murals.

For the first exercise, the "Juno walk," instructors pretended to be dogs.
Students had to walk them through the streets, practicing commands and
proving their prowess.
"Here, take this harness," an instructor told Deni. "You're going to heel
me."
Deni grabbed the handle. "Okay. Heel, Juno," she said, trying not to laugh.
She had never walked a human. She felt weird telling this woman, "Good
girl."
Along sidewalks, down and up curbs, across busy intersections they walked.
Deni mastered the commands, but tugged too much, as if the instructor might
try to tow her the way Wylie did. Every few minutes she tilted her head,
trying to catch the light.
"Just relax and follow your dog," said the instructor, Kate Schroer-Shepord.
"You might do better if you close your eyes."

On the third day, Deni and the other students filed into a big room ringed
with folding chairs. Deni sat in the center and collapsed her cane.
"This is an unbelievably exciting day," an instructor said. "They're getting
your dogs ready as we speak."

Guiding Eyes breeds about 400 puppies a year, mostly Labradors, the
instructor explained. They stay with their moms until they are 6 weeks old,
but are immediately socialized with other dogs, cats and people.
Then puppy raisers take them home - and into the world, walking them through
gravel and grass, under bridges, up stairs and into elevators, on buses and
subways, into hardware stores and restaurants.
When the dogs are about 2 years old, they get matched with their new
partners. "I just want four legs and a tail," Deni said when someone asked
what kind of dog she wanted. She was hoping for a female, a yellow Lab with
a quick gait and sense of humor. But she kept telling herself to trust the
experts.

Of 160 partnerships a year, an average of five don't last. Sometimes the
person and dog's speeds don't match; sometimes it's their personalities.
Deni's instructor, Graham Buck, had been at Guiding Eyes for 24 years and
matched more than 400 people with canine partners. He got to know Deni on
their chilly walks. Graham believed Deni needed a dog who was confident
enough to help her relax, but not one who thought he knew everything. One
with a shepherd's energy but without a shepherd's possessiveness.

"Okay, now we're going to tell you your dog's name, breed, color and gender,
and then we will bring them to your rooms," an instructor said. "We need you
all to set good patterns, so stay seated. If you get on the floor, the dog
will climb all over you."

Instructors went around the circle, describing each dog. "Deni," Graham
said. "You are getting a yellow female Labrador named Alberta."
"Thank you!" Deni cried, grinning. "Alberta . . ."

In her room, she paced between the door and window, waiting. She was so
anxious she couldn't sit down.

"Deni, are you ready?" Graham called. "Here comes Miss Alberta. She's 22
months old and her hair is the same color as yours."

Deni dropped to her knees to feel the dog. Alberta was much smaller than
Wylie, in height and girth; her nose was wet. "Hi, honey! Look at you!"
She knew her teacher was watching, but she couldn't help herself. She sat on
the floor, pulled her new partner into her lap, and buried her face in
Alberta's soft fur.

That night, for the first time in weeks, she slept deeply.

Deni worked well with Alberta. But by the second day, Graham could tell she
didn't totally trust her new partner. Deni was still struggling to see
through the splotches, trying to steer.
"Alberta's got this," Graham said. "You don't have to see."

Deni may have been unsure of the dog, but she had complete faith in Graham.
So under a stoplight on a bright, snowy morning, with cars and buses
whizzing by, she shut her eyes, relaxed her hold on the harness and let the
dog drive.

She felt the rhythm of Alberta's walk and fell into the flow. "It was like
dancing," she said later. "Like trotting on a horse. No, smoother. Once we
really hit our stride it felt like I was floating."

No one had ever told her she didn't have to see. Finally, she stopped
pretending she could.

Now that someone else was training the dog, Deni could focus on herself. "In
academia, she's always in control, she's the one everyone looks up to,"
Graham said. "But with Alberta, she's able to let go of that."

And for the first time, she had instructors who could train her. Initially,
Graham said, Deni was "very guarded, almost premeditated with her movements
and words. But as the other students started to share their stories, things
they had stumbled over - and achieved - Deni started to open up," Graham
said. "I think she began to accept herself."

Deni had expected to stay holed up in her room at the school. She didn't
think she belonged with all these really blind people. Besides, she had
articles to write, papers to grade. But she found herself drawn to her
classmates. She grew closest to Kara, the artist. Like Deni, Kara had been
losing her sight slowly, moving to larger canvases and brighter colors to
compensate. What will you do when you can't see at all? Deni asked her.
Kara smiled. "Sculpture."

They were eating salads one night, their dogs splayed at their feet, when
someone asked, "Has anyone found the oil and vinegar?" Everyone started
feeling around, fingering salt shakers and water glasses, until someone
touched the right bottles.
"No one said, 'It's over there.' Or, 'Right beside you.' All of us searched
together and it was okay to not know, to ask for help," Deni said.
"My ability to fake sight wasn't needed."

In Saint Petersburg, a Guiding Eyes trainer followed Deni and Alberta
through their routine. He taught Alberta to ignore lizards and watch for
low-hanging palm fronds. He helped her learn to ride the escalator at
Penney's.
After the trainer left, Deni taught her new partner to find her keys and
carry her dog bowl to the sink. She took Alberta to the Mahaffey Theater and
Disney World. "She's just so sleek and fast," Deni said.

She called Alberta her Mercedes. She nicknamed her Albee, after her favorite
playwright.
And at the end of April, when Albee turned 2, Deni threw her a birthday
party, with a meatloaf cake and a cardboard tiara. "Good girl," she kept
saying. "I'm so glad you came into my life."

Albee gave Deni confidence, a new way to navigate the world. "She knows when
I get disoriented, knows to stop and let me get my bearings before she takes
me exactly where I want to go." When Deni said, "office," or "home," "bank,"
or "meeting," Albee could take her to all those places, avoiding every palm
frond along the way.

AUGUST
Acceptance came slowly, like the darkness. By summer, Deni started doing
things she swore she never would.
Some changes were obvious: She bought sunglasses. Not the old people's
cataract wraparounds, or the thick Stevie Wonder ones. Deni chose stylish,
sassy shades with scarlet frames. She even wore them inside. "They really do
help cut the glare."
Other signs were more subtle. Instead of trying to guess who was talking at
staff meetings, Deni asked her colleagues - whom she had worked with for
years - to introduce themselves so she would know who was sitting where.
"With this new dog, Deni seems a lot calmer, even happier," said Robert
Dardenne, a friend and fellow professor. "I think she's more prone to
adapting herself to do things than to getting things to accommodate her. But
she recently asked for a new computer that would help, and I think that's
great."

"My attitude has always been to not think about my vision. It's not your
problem," Deni said. "But I had to learn that sometimes it really does
matter. And it's okay. I feel less embarrassed, now, about asking for help."

Being at the guide dog school helped her surrender to the darkness. "Not
just give up control, but really get comfortable with my own vulnerability",
she said. "I feel more honest now."
She still thought about Wylie every day. For six months, he had been in a
program where prison inmates retrained him to work with veterans. But no
veterans wanted him; at 7, they thought he was too old.
Finally, in late August, Deni got a call from a man named Fred Grooms, a
retired veteran who volunteers with the service dog program in South
Carolina. He had been taking Wylie home on weekends to play with his teenage
daughter, who has migraines and mobility issues. Grooms was calling to say
he had adopted Wylie. That weekend, he had taken him to a lake with a bunch
of kids where the dog spent all day diving off a dock.

Deni sobbed, imagining her big frat boy of a dog surrounded by squealing
kids. It helped, knowing he finally had a family.

Albee needed more of that kind of fun, Deni decided. So she enrolled in a
Rally class - a competition where people lead their dogs through a course,
stopping to perform commands. After a couple of sessions, Deni had to admit
she couldn't read the command signs. But instead of dropping out, she wrote
to the American Kennel Club and got permission to use a sighted guide.
Now, a volunteer reads the signs to Deni, who gives Albee the commands. On
their last run, they earned a perfect score.

"I'm not going to say that losing my sight has been a blessing," Deni said.
"But I am learning to adapt, and to ask more of the sighted world."

When classes started this semester, Deni stood before her students, wearing
dark glasses. "This is Albee, my guide dog," she said. Then, for the first
time, she introduced herself like this:

"And I am your professor, Deni Elliott. If you want my attention, don't
raise your hand. Make some noise. I might look at you, but I won't see you.
I'm blind."

Times news researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Lane DeGregory
can be reached at
degr...@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8825.

Guide dog leads vision-challenged professor to new insight 10/09/13 [Last
modified: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:49pm]

C 2013 Tampa Bay Times.

*****A Joke funny sent in by Mike Tate:

I didn’t get this so it’s in this section and not the jokes. I hope it’s not rude lol!

A farmer had 5 female pigs.

Times were hard, so he decided to take them to the county fair and sell
them.

At the fair, he met another farmer who owned five male pigs.

After talking a bit, they decided to mate the pigs and split everything
50/50.

The farmers lived sixty miles apart,
so they agreed to drive thirty miles each
and find a field in which to let the pigs mate.

The first morning, the farmer with the female pigs got up at 5 A.M.,
loaded the pigs into the family station wagon,
(which was the only vehicle he had) and drove the thirty miles.

While the pigs were mating, he asked the other farmer,
"How will I know if they are pregnant?"

The other farmer replied,
"If they're lying in the grass tomorrow morning, they're pregnant.
If they're in the mud, they're not."

The next morning the pigs were rolling in the mud, so he hosed them off,
loaded them into the family station wagon again and proceeded to try again.

This continued each morning for more than a week and both farmers were worn
out.

The next morning he was too tired to get out of bed.
He called to his wife,
"Honey, please look outside and tell me whether the
pigs are in the mud or in the grass."

pig-in-mud.gif

"Neither," yelled his wife,
"they're in the station wagon
and one of them is honking the horn."

*****Texas and Patrianism sent in by Alan:

From a friend in Texas:
Patriotism, Texas and Chris Kyle:

I just wanted to share with you all that out of a horrible tragedy we were
blessed by so many people. Chris was Derek's teammate through 10 years of
training and battle. They suffer / suffered from P T S D to some extent
and took great care of each other because of it. 2006 in Ramada was horrible
for young men that never had any more aggressive physical contact with
another human than on a Texas football field. They lost many friends. Chris
became the armed services number 1 sniper of all time. Not something he was
happy about, other than the fact that in so doing, he saved a lot of
American lives. Three years ago, his wife Tanya asked him to leave the SEAL
teams as he had a huge bounty on his head by Al Qaeda. He did and wrote the
book "The American Sniper." 100% of the proceeds from the book went to two
of the SEAL families who had lost their sons in Iraq. That was the guy
Chris was. He formed a company in Dallas to train military, police and I
think firemen as far as protecting themselves in difficult situations. He
also formed a foundation to work with military people suffering from P T S
D. Chris was a giver not a taker.

He along with a friend and neighbor, Chad Littlefield, were murdered trying
to help a young man that had served six months in Iraq and claiming to have
P T S D.

Now I need to tell you about all of the blessings. Southwest Airlines flew
in any SEAL and their family from any airport they flew into free of charge.
The employees donated buddy passes and one lady worked for four days without
much of a break to see that it happened. Volunteers were at both airports in
Dallas to drive them to the hotel.

The Marriott Hotel reduced their rates to $45 a night and cleared the hotel
for only Seals and family. The Midlothian, TX. Police Department paid the
$45 a night for each room. I would guess there were about 200 people staying
at the hotel. 100 of them Seals. Two large buses were chartered (an unknown
donor paid the bill) to transport people to the different events and they
also had a few rental cars (donated). The police and secret service were on
duty 24 hours during the stay at our hotel.

At the house the Texas D P S parked a large motor home in front to block the
view from reporters.

It remained there the entire five days for the Seals to congregate in and
all to use the restroom so as not to have to go in the house. Tanya, their
two small children and both sets of parents were staying in the home. Only a
hand full of Seals went into the home as they had different duties and
meetings were held sometimes on a hourly basis. It was a huge coordination
of many different events and security. Derek was assigned to be a pall
bearer, to escort Chris' body when it was transferred from Midlothian
Funeral Home to Arlington Funeral Home and to be with Taya.

A tough job.

Taya seldom came out of her bedroom. The home was full with people from the
church and other family members that would come each day to help. I spent
one morning in a bedroom with Chris' mom and the next morning with Chad
Littlefield's parents (the other man murdered with Chris). A tough job.

***George W Bush and his wife Laura met and talked to everyone . The Seal
Team one on one. They went behind closed doors with Taya for quite a while.
They had prayer with us all .You can tell when people were sincere and
caring

***Nolan Ryan sent his cooking team, a huge grill and lots of steaks,
chicken and hamburgers. They set up in the front yard and fed people all day
long including the 200 SEALs and their families. The next day a local B B Q
restaurant set up a buffet in front of the house and fed all once again.
Food was plentiful and all were taken care of.

The family's church kept those inside the house well fed.

***Jerry Jones, the man everyone loves to hate, was a rock star. He made
sure that we all were taken care of. His wife and him was just making sure
everyone was taken care of....Class... He donated use of Cowboy Stadium for
the services as it was determined that so many wanted to attend. The charter
buses transported us to the stadium on Monday at 10:30 am. Every car, bus,
motorcycle was searched with bomb dogs and police. I am not sure if kooks
were making threats trying to make a name for themselves or if so many SEALs
in one place was a security risk. I don't know.

We willing obliged. No purses into the stadium!

We were taken to The Legends room high up and a large buffet was available.

That was for about 300 people.

We were growing.

A Medal of Honor recipient was there, lots of secret service and police and

***Sarah Palin and her husband. She looked nice, this was a very formal
military service. The service started at 1:00 pm and when we were escorted
onto the field I was shocked. We heard that about 10,000 people had come to
attend also.

They were seated in the stadium seats behind us.

It was a beautiful and emotional service.

Bagpipe and drum corps were wonderful and the A & M men's choir stood
through the entire service and sang right at the end.

We were all in tears.

The next day was the 200-mile procession from Midlothian , TX . to Austin
for burial. It was a cold, drizzly, windy day, but the people were out. We
had dozens of police motorcycles riders, freedom riders five chartered buses
and lots of cars. You had to have a pass to be in the procession and still
it was huge. Two helicopters circled the procession with snipers sitting out
the side door for protection. It was the longest funeral procession ever in
the state of Texas . People were everywhere. The entire route was shut down
ahead of us . the people were lined up on the side of the road the entire
way. Firemen down on one knee, police officers holding their hats over their
hearts, children waving flags, veterans saluting as we went by. Every bridge
had fire trucks with large flags displayed from their tall ladders . people
all along the entire 200 miles standing in the cold weather.

It was so heartwarming.

Taya rode in the hearse with Chris' body so Derek rode the route with us. I
was so grateful to have that time with him.

The service was at Texas National Cemetery .

Very few are buried there and you have to apply to get in.

It is like people from Civil War, Medal of Honor winners a few from the
Alamo and all the historical people of Texas . It was a nice service and the
Freedom Riders surrounded the outside of the entire cemetery to keep the
crazy church people from Kansas that protests at military funerals away from
us.

*Each SEAL put his Trident (metal SEAL badge) on the top of Chris' casket
one at a time. A lot hit it in with one blow. Derek was the only one to take
four taps to put his in and it was almost like he was caressing it as he did
it.

Another tearful moment.

**After the service the Rick Perry and his wife, Anita Perry, invited us to
the governor's mansion. She stood at the door and greeted each of us
individually and gave each of the SEALs a coin of Texas (she was a sincere,
compassionate, and gracious hostess). We were able to tour the ground floor
and then went into the garden for beverages and B B Q. So many of the team
guys said that after they get out they are moving to Texas . They remarked
that they had never felt so much love and hospitality. The charter buses
then took the guys to the airport to catch their returning flights. Derek
just now called and after a 20 hours flight he is back in his spot, in a
dangerous land on the other side of the world, protecting America .

We just wanted to share with the events of a quite an emotional, but blessed
week.

*******Today in history by Alan Dicey:

TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Saturday, February 8, the 39th day of 2014.
There are 326 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
On this date February 8, 1974, the last three-man crew of the Skylab space
station, consisting of Jerry Carr, Bill Pogue and Edward Gibson, returned to
Earth after spending 84 days in space.  (Skylab remained in orbit another
five years before plunging to its destruction in 1979.)
On this date: In 1587, Mary, Queen of Scots was beheaded at Fotheringhay
Castle in England after she was implicated in a plot to murder her cousin,
Queen Elizabeth I.
On this date in 1725: Peter the Great dies
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/peter-the-great-dies
On this date in 1777: during the Revolutionary War, Former Prisoner Of War
Timothy Bigelow is named colonel
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/former-pow-timothy-bigelow-is-named-colonel
On this date in 1862, the Civil War Battle of Roanoke Island, ended in
victory for Union forces led by General Ambrose E.  Burnside.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-roanoke-island
On this date in 1904, the Russo-Japanese War, a conflict over control of
Manchuria and Korea, began as Japanese forces attacked Port Arthur.
On this date in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated.
On this date in 1918: U.S. Army resumes publication of Stars and Stripes
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/us-army-resumes-publication-of-stars-and-stripes
On this date in 1922, President Warren G.  Harding had a radio installed in
the White House.
On this date In 1924, the first execution by gas in the United States took
place at the Nevada State Prison in Carson City as Gee Jon, a Chinese
immigrant convicted of murder, was put to death.
On this date   in 1942, during World War II, Japanese forces began invading
Singapore, which fell a week later.
On this date in 1943: during World War 2, Americans secure Guadalcanal  On
this day in 1943, during World War 2, Japanese troops evacuate Guadalcanal,
leaving the island in Allied possession after a prolonged campaign.
Also, on this date in 1943: Britain's Indian Brigade begins guerrilla
operations in Burma
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/britains-indian-brigade-begins-guerrilla-operations-in-burma
On this date in 1949: Cardinal Mindszenty of Hungary sentenced
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/cardinal-mindszenty-of-hungary-sentenced
On this date in 1952, Queen Elizabeth II proclaimed her accession to the
British throne following the death of her father, King George VI.
On this date in 1955: John Grisham, author of legal thrillers, is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-grisham-author-of-legal-thrillers-is-born
On this date   in 1968, three college students were killed in a
confrontation with highway patrolmen in Orangeburg, South Carolina, during a
civil rights protest against a whites-only bowling alley.
On this date in 1973, Senate leaders named seven members of a select
committee to investigate the Watergate scandal, including its chairman,
Senator Sam J. Ervin, D-North Carolina
On this date in 1983: Irish race horse stolen
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/irish-race-horse-stolen
On this date in 1984, the Winter Olympics opened in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.
On this date in 1985: Jaguar founder dies
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/jaguar-founder-dies
On this date in 1986: Spud Webb wins dunk contest
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/spud-webb-wins-dunk-contest
On this date   in 1989, 144 people were killed when an American-chartered
Boeing 707 filled with Italian tourists slammed into a fog-covered mountain
in the Azores.
On this date in 1990: Del Shannon dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/del-shannon-dies-of-a-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound
On this date in 1994: Jack Nicholson smashes windshield in episode of road
rage
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/jack-nicholson-smashes-windshield-in-episode-of-road-rage
Ten years ago:
President George W.  Bush denied marching America into war against Iraq
under false pretenses and said in a taped interview broadcast on NBC's "Meet
the Press" the U.S.  comled invasion was necessary because Saddam Hussein
could have developed a nuclear weapon.
The National Football Conference won the Pro Bowl, defeating the American
Conference 55-52.
In the National Hockey League All-Star Game, the Eastern Conference defeated
the Western Conference, 6-4.
At the Grammy Awards, rap funksters OutKast won album of the year for
"Speakerboxxx-The Love Below" and Beyonce (bee-AHN'-say) took home a
record-tying five trophies.
Five years ago:
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss won five Grammys, including album of the
year, for "Raising Sand.
RandB singer Chris Brown was arrested on suspicion of making a criminal
threat (he was later sentenced to five years of probation for beating his
longtime girlfriend, singer Rihanna).
The NFC rallied to a 30-21 victory over the AFC in the Pro Bowl.
One year ago:
A massive storm packing hurricane-force winds and blizzard conditions began
sweeping through the Northeast, dumping nearly 2 feet of snow on New England
and knocking out power to more than a half a million customers.
Today's Birthdays:
Actor Jack Larson (TV: "Adventures of Superman") is 86.
Composer-conductor John Williams is 82.
Newscaster Ted Koppel is 74.
Actor Nick Nolte is 73.
Comedian Robert Klein is 72.
Actor-rock musician Creed Bratton is 71.
Singer Ron Tyson is 66.
Actress Brooke Adams is 65.
Actress Mary Steenburgen is 61.
Author John Grisham is 59.
Actor Henry Czerny is 55.
The president of the Philippines, Benigno Aquino III, is 54.
Rock singer Vince Neil (Motley Crue) is 53.
Rock singer-musician Sammy Llanas (YAH'-nus) (The BoDeans) is 53.
Former Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa P.  Jackson is 52.
Actress Mary McCormack is 45.
Rock musician Keith Nelson (Buckcherry) is 45.
Retired NBA player Alonzo Mourning is 44.
Dance musician Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (Daft Punk) is 40.
Actor Seth Green is 40.
Actor Josh Morrow is 40.
Rock musician Phoenix (Linkin Park) is 37.
Rock musician Jeremy Davis (Paramore) is 29.
Rock musician Max Grahn (Carolina Liar) is 26.
Actor Ryan Pinkston is 26.
Professional surfer Bethany Hamilton is 24.
Actress Karle Warren is 22.
Thought for Today:
"Health is the thing that makes you feel that now is the best time of the
year."
Franklin P.  Adams, American journalist (1881-1960).

--
- - -

We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”