Menu Correction

Julie Parker

Jan 28, 2014, 5:24:45 AM1/28/14
to daily menu

Menu of Events

Good Morning Members, it’s a Wits and Weights Tuesday on Blind Café!!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

**“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: January 28th, 2014

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
Or if you have any questions for Monica you can e mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.org

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and list to one of Pastor  Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermons.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Island with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy the luck of the Irish.

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials and self defense presentations.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows.  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Rodney Carrington Songs, James Gregory,   Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, Hee Haw Episodes  and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

**BLIND CAFÉ Senior Menu:

7 am Join Julie and the breakfast club crew in the Donut and Coffee shop.

*11am Join Andrew for a game of Pig in the winners circle.

2 pm Join your host Patti W and her computer Sparky for a game of Zilch!

8pm Wits and Weights with Sergeant Rock and Julie P.

9pm Join Scooby for Connect 3

***BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

February 15th. In addition to our talent contest we will be performing our fall auction songs. Please get together with the person who bid on you so you can rehearse the song.

****BLIND CAFÉ’S Classic Menu includes times and explanations of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

Join Julie P this morning for coffee and laughs.

11am Pig in The Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join Andrew for a morning game of Pig.  Just keep rolling the dice until either your luck runs out or you bank your points. This game is like press your luck. If you like frustration, you will love playing this game.

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Join us for lunchtime chat and sandwiches, croissants or try one of our French pastries for dessert.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches

Pecan Pie Squares
3 cups flour
6 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon salt
Filling (see below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15 by 10 by 1 inch pan. Beat flour, sugar, butter and salt in large bowl on medium speed until dry and crumbly. Press into pan and bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Prepare filling and pour over baked layer.
Filling
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Karo syrup
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
Mix all filling ingredients, except pecans until blended. Stir in nuts. Spread evenly over layer and bake until filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
Makes approximately 70.
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables
Spicy Green Beans
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
1/4 cup vinegar
Saute bacon and onion in skillet. Drain. Add green beans and vinegar and heat thoroughly.
_____

Family Breakfast Brighteners
Country Fried Minute Steaks
2 tablespoons shortening
4 or 8 frozen cube steaks (depending on size)
1/2 cup oil and vinegar salad dressing
1/2 cup Gold Medal flour
Melt shortening in 10 inch skillet. Dip steaks into dressing, then into flour, coating both sides. Fry in hot shortening over medium-high heat, turning to brown both sides, about 4 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.

 Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti, for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room.

 I think!

8pm Wits and Weights in Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your hosts Sergeant Rock and Julie P for this game where the team that comes closest to the correct answer, without going over, wins double the points that were bid by the opposing team!  It’s a fun and challenging game. Come on in and let us put you on a team!

9pm Connect 3 In Games R Us:

Join your host Scooby for an interesting game of Connect 3. Do you know what Door, Window and eye glasses could have in common? If you said a frame then this is the game for you. Come on by and let Scooby put you on a team!

11pm Café after Dark Opens. Sponsored by Terra Lee:

  . Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day.

*****BLIND CAFÉ’S what’s for Dessert Members Corner Menu:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food facts of the day:

January 28
 National Blueberry Pancake Day

  **Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for today’s thought of the day.

Buckle up. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.

***Today’s Joke of the day:

Of Course this joke comes from Alan! Only Alan sends me jokes like these. I have to admit this one was funny though! A very angry guy walked into a crowded bar, waving his model 1911 Colt .45
caliber automatic pistol with an 8 round magazine, and yelled, "Who in here
has been sleeping with my wife?"
 A voice from the back of the bar yelled back, "You need more ammo.” Of course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahah

Of course if you want to hear some great funny stuff, visit Sham the man on Friday nights at midnight in his Café Comedy Lounge for open mic night. If you have not met Shammy, he is a barrel of laughs and a whiz at telling jokes! See y’all there!****Bizarre News. Sent in by TG Dragon:

Bizarre News
Spanning the globe for the strange and stupid.

Bizarre News - January 25, 2014

Greetings fellow Bizarros:

Problem: your wife is days away from giving birth but you live at the top of a hill in the middle of one of the snowiest winters in years and you're afraid your car won't make it up the hill in the snow.

Solution: Park at the bottom of the hill and keep a sled handy in case you need to slide your pregnant wife down the hill.

That was exactly the thinking of Philadelphia resident Fabian Bonanni when a particularly heavy snowstorm was predicted on the very day his wife Shirley was due.

Sure enough, as more than a foot of snow was falling on the northeast earlier this week Shirley went into labor.

"The contractions went from 10 minutes apart to, 'Oh, she's delivering right now,'" Bonanni said. "She couldn't walk; she was going into labor with every step."

As the neighbors looked on Fabian started pulling his wife through the snow on his sled, but things began moving faster that he anticipated.

Fabian delivered his daughter right there on the sled, scooping her into his arms as his wife braved the morning's subzero temperatures.

He took her into a neighbor's house where paramedics were called.

"It was like something you'd see in a movie," the neighbor said. "At first, I thought they were having fun. It's probably the strangest thing to ever happen here."

At last report the entire family was doing fine.

*****Sent in by Alan:

C. (January 22, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdani...@nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Sues Department of Transportation Over
Airline Regulations
Regulations on Access to Kiosks Violate Federal Law, Organization Says

Washington, D.C. (January 22, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind people, filed
suit (case number:1:14-cv-00085) in the United States District Court for the
District of Columbia today against the United States Department of
Transportation (DOT).  The suit challenges regulations, issued by the DOT
under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), which purport to require that
airline check-in kiosks be made accessible to airline passengers who are
blind.  The regulations, which took effect on December 12, 2013, require
only 25 percent of airport check-in kiosks to be accessible to blind
passengers by ten years from that date. The NFB maintains that this
requirement fails to implement the ACAA as Congress intended.  The ACAA
prohibits discrimination against passengers with disabilities by airlines.
The legislative record shows that when it passed the law, Congress intended
that the only permissible restrictions on access to air travel would be
directly related to the safety of all passengers.  Among other things, by
allowing continued discrimination against the blind by the airlines on a
matter not related to safety, the agency violated the law, the suit claims.
Kiosks can be made accessible to the blind in the same way that ATMs and
other customer service devices (such as ticket-purchasing kiosks used by
Amtrak and other transit agencies) are already made accessible: by affixing
Braille labels, installing headphone jacks, and adding speech software that
provides audio prompts to the user.  The NFB's president, Dr. Marc Maurer,
and director of advocacy and policy, Anil Lewis, both of whom are blind and
fly frequently on organization business, are also named as plaintiffs.

Dr. Maurer said: "The technology to make airline check-in kiosks accessible
to blind people is readily available; similar technology is already deployed
on ATMs, other kiosks, and similar devices nationwide, and has been for many
years.  Yet the Department of Transportation violated the law by allowing
continued discrimination against blind passengers based on spurious
assertions by the airline industry that making kiosks accessible will cost
too much and take a decade.  Furthermore, the regulations will only require
25 percent of these kiosks to be made accessible; apparently 75 percent
discrimination against blind people is acceptable to the DOT.  The agency
also failed to make the information it gathered from airlines available
until these regulations were issued, which also violated federal law and
denied blind Americans the opportunity to challenge the airline's
assertions. We are therefore asking the court to strike down the regulations
and order the agency to restart the rulemaking process."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most
influential nationwide membership organization of Blind people in the United
States. Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and equality
of blind Americans, and develops innovative education, technology, and
training programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision with
the tools they need to become independent and successful.
- - -

*******Sent in by Ron Nurse:

Most of the world uses 1 of these measuring systems.

Metric or Imperial measurement.

An outline for metric measurements is a system of:
-distance is measured using millimetres,centimetres,metres and kilometres
-weight is measured in milligrams,grams,kilograms and metric tons
-volume is measured using millimetres and litres
-temperature is measured using Celsius

An outline for Imperial measurements is a system of:
-distance is measured in inches,feet,yards and miles
-weight is measured in ounces,pounds and tons
-volume is measured influid ounces,cups,pints,quarts and gallons
-temperature is measured in Fahrenheit

Metric is the most common used measuring system outside the United
States (excluding Hawaii,which I am told uses the metric system).

The US is the only major country still using Imperial measurements.

From:Ron Nurse

Today in History, Today is Monday, January 27, 2014
Today's Highlights in History:
On January 27, 1945, Soviet troops liberated the Nazi concentration camps of
Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland.
On this date in 1302: Dante is exiled from Florence
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dante-is-exiled-from-florence
On this date in 1756, Composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in Salzburg,
Austria.
On this date in 1785: Georgia incorporates the first state university
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/georgia-incorporates-the-first-state-university
On this date in 1832 Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, who wrote "Alice's Adventures
in Wonderland" under the pen name Lewis Carroll, was born in Cheshire,
England.
On this date in 1862: President Lincoln orders armies to advance
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-orders-armies-to-advance
On this date in 1880 Thomas Edison received a patent for his electric
incandescent lamp.
On this date in 1885 Broadway composer Jerome Kern was born in New York
City.
1888: National Geographic Society founded
on this date, January 27, 1888, the National Geographic Society is founded
in Washington, D.C., for "the increase and diffusion of geographical
knowledge".
On this date in 1926: Baird demonstrates TV
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/baird-demonstrates-tv
On this date in 1943: during World War 2, Americans bomb Germans for first
time
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/americans-bomb-germans-for-first-time
Also, on this date in 1943: during World War 2, Reagan serves in film unit
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/reagan-serves-in-film-unit
On this date in 1944The Soviet Union announced the end of the deadly German
siege of Leningrad, which had lasted for more than two years.
On this date in 1951 The era of atomic testing in the Nevada desert began.
On this date in 1965: Shelby GT 350 debuts
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/shelby-gt-350-debuts
On this date in 1967 Astronauts Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom, Edward H. White and
Roger B. Chaffee died in a flash fire during a test aboard their Apollo 1
spacecraft at Cape Kennedy, Florida.
Also, on this date in 1967More than 60 nations signed a treaty banning the
orbiting of nuclear weapons.
On this date in 1970: John Lennon writes and records "Instant Karma" in a
single day
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-lennon-writes-and-records-quotinstant-karmaquot-in-a-single-day
On this date in 1973 The Vietnam peace accords were signed in Paris.
On this date in 1975: Senate investigation of FBI and CIA activities begins
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/senate-investigation-of-fbi-and-cia-activities-begins
On this date in 1991: Somali dictator flees
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/somali-dictator-flees
On this date in 1996: Monica Seles wins first Grand Slam title since being
attacked
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/monica-seles-wins-first-grand-slam-title-since-being-attacked
On this date in 1998 the First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton, appearing on
NBC's "Today" show, said that allegations against her husband were the work
of a "vast right-wing conspiracy."
On this date in 2002: Explosions trigger deadly panic in Nigeria
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/explosions-trigger-deadly-panic-in-nigeria
On this date in 2004: Thirteen-year-old Keisha Castle-Hughes nominated for
Best Actress Oscar
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thirteen-year-old-keisha-castle-hughes-nominated-for-best-actress-oscar
On this date in 2010 Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad tablet computer
during a presentation in San Francisco.
Also, on this date in 2010 J.D. Salinger, the reclusive author of "The
Catcher in the Rye," died in Cornish, New Hampshire at age 91.
Deaths reported during the week ending January 25, 2014:
Saturday, January 18
Sarah Marshall, actress ("The Long, Hot Summer"), of stomach cancer, 80.
Sunday, January 19, 2014
Christopher Chataway, runner (British), of cancer, 82.
Ben Starr, TV sitcom creator and writer ("The Facts of Life"), 92.
Monday, January 20, 2014
Claudio Abbado, conductor, after a long illness, 80.
Today's Birthdays:
Chief Justice John Roberts turns 59 years old today.
James Crom well Actor 74
Nick Mason Rock musician (Pink Floyd) 69
Mikhail Baryshnikov Ballet dancer 66
Mimi Rogers Actress 58
Keith Olbermann TV host 55
Bridget Fonda Actress 50
Mike Patton Rock singer (Faith No More) 46
Actor Alan Cumming turns 49 years old today.
Thought for Today:
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- - -
-

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net