It's a Neva's ABC Sunday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 22, 2014, 11:16:13 PM2/22/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Neva’s ABC. Easy as 1 2 3 Sunday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: February 23rd, 2014

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*By pressing F6 in the Winners Circle you can Download RS Games, Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchen’s Golf. You will need these to play in our Tournaments. Also you can download our bowling game by pressing F6 in the Dragon’s Strike Zone Bowling Alley and then come join our Café League.

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Press F6 In our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermon’s.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and Sail Away to The Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy the luck of the Irish!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny 2012 Christmas play that our Blind Café members starred in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

All in the family

Andy Griffith

Bonanza

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Little house on the prairie

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington’s songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*BLIND CAFÉ Senior Menu:

*2:30pm Join TG Dragon blood for his Texas Hold Em Tournament, in the Winners Circle.

*8PM Join your host Joe for Chain Reaction.

9 pm Join Neva for ABC. It’s as Easy as 1 2 3 in Games R Us!

*10:30 PM Join your host Patti W in The Winners Circle for one last game of Farkle for the week!

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Blind Café Bake Sale!

When: Saturday April 5th, 2014

Time: 2pm

Where: Café Premier Events Room.

Donations by:

Patti W.

1 batch of Cinnamon rolls baked Pitti Pat Style.

1 batch of apple crisp.

Kathy Rose.

1 batch of sugar Cookies

1 batch of Peanut butter cookies

Alicia.

1 batch of oatmeal cookies

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Julie P.

1 batch of English Sausage Rolls

1 batch of Scotch Eggs

1 batch of Ricks famous balls

Karen.

1 batch of Raspberry and cream filled buns

Lorraine.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge your choice if you want Lorraine to add nuts.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge.

Neva.

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Cheryl aka Mrs. TG Dragon

1 batch- approximately 40 plus buckeye's

 1 batch- approximately 40 Buckeye’s

 They are creamy peanut butter fudge type balls dipped in chocolate,   to resemble a buckeye. They are about as big as round as a half dollar or almost as big as a golf ball.

Tiffany will be donating several arts and crafts items and don’t forget to buy some raffle tickets for Lorraine’s homemade quilt. $5 for one and 5 for $20. Imagine a brand new Queen size or your choice of size for $20 you can’t beat that guys!

If you wish to donate something to our bake sale, please send an email to ju...@blindcafe.net with details.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force-Terry and Cheryl

Cool Breezers-Julie and Geoff

Matt and Shawn Country All Stars

Choke a holics-Terra and Kathy

Witches and Stitches-Lorraine and Tiffany

California Crew-Gerald and Kim

Tornado Twosome-Patti and Soo kia

Lucky Strike on Fire!-Kevin and Cynna

Alicia and Connie

Paul and Latice

Scooby needs a partner

Here is Monday and Tuesday’s Bowling Line up:

Monday February 24th, 2014 time: 9 p m eastern

1. cafe's gutter ball alley

Teams:

Tornado twosome Patti and soo keea

 Lucky strike on fire

Kevin and Cyyna

Patti: spotter

2. Cafe king pin alley:

Dragons strike force terry and Cheryl

Cool breezes  jeff and Julie

Terry: spotter

3. Dragons strike zone:

Country all stars

Matt and Shawn

Connie and Alicia

Shawn: spotter

4. Loraine’s lucky lanes:

Witches and stitches

Loraine and tiffany

Paul and lattice

Loraine: spotter

Tuesday February 25th, 2014 time:  11 a m eastern

Dragon’s strike zone

Carter’s California crew Gerald and Kim

chocoholic's terra lee and Kathy rose

Spotter: terry

Spotters need to make sure everyone is: method: aiming and swinging

Skill level: level two

Spotters will need to report team scores to terry or Loraine.

****BLIND CAFÉ’S Classic Menu includes times and explanations of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Join us for lunchtime chat and sandwiches, croissants or try one of our French pastries for dessert.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches. Family Breakfast Brighteners
Family Breakfast Brighteners
Blueberry Kuchin
1 package Betty Crocker blueberry muffin mix
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
1 cup blueberry preserves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking pan, 8 by 8 by 2 inches.
Prepare muffin mix as directed, except stir lemon peel into batter.
Pour into pan. Bake 20 to 22 minutes. Cut into squares. In chilled
bowl, beat cream until stiff. Mix preserves and lemon juice. Top each
square with a dab of whipped cream and preserves.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

_____

2:30 pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join TG Dragon blood for his poker tournament. Terry will be in the room at 2pm to answer any questions you may have. You will need to have Quinton’s Playroom downloaded.

4 pm Senior moments Sponsored by our Vets:

 Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti, for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room.

 I think!

8 pm Chain Reaction In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your host Joe for Chain Reaction the game where the word links above or below!

9pm Neva’s ABC. It’s as easy as 1 2 3 In Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join Neva for this original game that she made up. Can you figure out the word without any vowels? Its loads of fun. Come by and let Neva put you on a team!

10:30 pmFarkle In the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

  Join your host Patti W for one last game of Farkle for the week!

11 pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

Anyone for a late night chat. Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

*****BLIND CAFÉ’S what’s for Dessert Members Corner Menu:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:

February 23rd
 National Almond Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Hey Sharon we can all appreciate this one! > I don't live paycheck to paycheck. I live paycheck to four days before paycheck.

 *** Joke of the Day:

These are great sent in by Mike Tate! Because they had no reservations at a busy restaurant, my elderly neighbor and his wife were told there would be a 45 minute wait for a table."Young man, we're both 90 years old," the husband said. "We may not have 45 minutes.” They were seated immediately.

The reason Politicians try so hard to get re-elected is that they would "hate" to have to make a living under the laws they have just passed.
All eyes were on the radiant bride as her father escorted her down the aisle. They reached the altar and the waiting groom. The  bride kissed her father and placed something in his hand. The guests in the front pews responded with ripples of laughter. Even the priest smiled broadly. As her father gave her away in marriage, the bride gave him back his credit card.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Three friends from the local congregation were asked, "When you're in your casket, and friends and congregation members are mourning over you, what would you like them to say?"

Artie said, "I would like them to say I was a wonderful husband, a fine spiritual leader, and a great family man."

Eugene commented, "I would like them to say I was a wonderful teacher and servant of God who made a huge difference in people's lives.."

Al said, "I'd like them to say, 'Look, he's moving!'"

 Of Course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

****A Healthy Diabetic is an Aware Diabetic sent in by Julie P:

February is Heart Month in More Ways than One

Along with Valentine’s Day on the 14th, February is American Heart Month. You may have seen many ads, public service announcements, or social media items encouraging the wearing of red to support women’s heart health on the 7th. Many of our national landmarks and monuments were decked out in red. The American Heart Association has been celebrating February as American Heart Month for 50 years.

Diabetes and Heart Disease Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States with one in three deaths related to heart disease and stroke. For people with diabetes those numbers increase significantly, as much as twice as often. Cardiovascular disease is not only deadly, but can cause disability, hospitalizations, and increased health care costs.

What can you do to decrease your risk of heart disease? A little knowledge and a bit of action can go a long way.

What to do: ABCS—Talk with your healthcare provider about the targets that are best for you in each of these areas.

A1C- This provides an estimate of your glucose control over the past three months. It is recommended that most people with diabetes should have an A1C less than 7%.

Blood Pressure- Regularly have your blood pressure checked. Most people with diabetes should have a blood pressure less than 130 over 80.

Cholesterol- Most people with diabetes should have an HDL or “good” cholesterol greater than 40 mg/dL for men and greater than 50 mg/dL for women, and the LDL or "bad" cholesterol should be less than 100 mg/dL. Triglycerides are another type of blood fat. They should generally be less than 150mg/dL for people with diabetes.

Note: Smoking-People with diabetes should NOT smoke.

Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease is hardening of the arteries. This causes narrow or blocked blood vessels making it difficult for the heart to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the body.

Heart failure causes the heart to pump less blood. Heart failure may be caused by a number of problems, such as heart attack, coronary artery disease, and high blood pressure. In congestive heart failure, another heart condition, fluid builds up inside body tissues such as the lungs and breathing becomes difficult.

Symptoms of Heart Attack

  • chest pain or discomfort
  • pain or discomfort in your arms, back, jaw, neck, or stomach
  • shortness of breath
  • sweating
  • indigestion or nausea
  • light-headedness
  • tiredness or fatigue

*****Southeastern Guide Dogs:

Deidri Cumbie grew up seeing just fine.

In her 30's, a benign brain tumor stole her

vision completely. Light to darkness, just like

that. Deidri learned to walk with a cane, and slowly adjusted to life without vision.

In her 40's, she received her first Southeastern Guide Dog, Eddie. Eddie helped Deidri gain confidence and regain her independence.

When Eddie retired and Deidri met her next guide, Duke, she'd come a long way. She'd learned to navigate and travel, and was busy raising her family. With Duke, she remembers thinking, "What can I do now?"

Among other adventures, she and Duke hiked

in Yellowstone National Park and ran a 5K race. And just recently, Deidri was paired with her third guide dog, Bopeeper, or Bo. "It just keeps getting better," she says. "I can't wait to find out what I can learn from her!"

At Southeastern Guide Dogs, our graduates have our lasting support through each phase

of their journey. We're proud of Deidri and graduates like her who have overcome so

many challenges.

And we can't wait to hear about Deidri and

Bo's new adventures as they travel forward, together.

GuideDogs.org

*******Another Interesting Beatles Story sent in by Alan:

    The Beatles Song Named for a Woman that was About a Man
Sexy Sadie.
The Beatles were famous for their beautiful, inspired love songs dedicated
to women- "Michelle", "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds", "Eleanor Rigby",
"Julia", "Lovely Rita", "Lady Madonna", "and Dear Prudence".  Even other
Beatles' classics, not graced with titles using proper nouns: "She Loves
You", "She's a Woman", "Girl"; and of course "I Want to Hold Your Hand",
"Love Me Do", "P.S. I Love You" et al were all written about and centered
around different women who had touched the Beatles in different ways
(sometimes literally).

But which Beatles song sounds like it was written about a woman, but was in
reality, written about a man?
In 1968, the Beatles were on a quest, searching, just like many of us- to
find "The Truth".  Yes, they were rich, famous, and materially successful
beyond any of their wildest dreams.  But they all- especially George and
John- felt something was missing.

The Beatles, in their search, came upon an interesting spiritual guide named
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
They traveled to his meditation camp in Rishikesh, India to study, meditate,
and hopefully "become enlightened".
The fab four arrived and spent their days at the Maharishi's retreat, with
their respective wives, girlfriends, pals, and entourage.  After a pleasant
start, the Beatles' spiritual revival stay at Rishikesh started to unravel.
Ringo left first; after only ten days, he packed his bags and declared he'd
had enough (Ringo's excuse cited missing his children in London, plus the
fact that his wife, Maureen, hated the prevalence of insects in their
bungalow).  Paul lasted a few days longer and departed, leaving John and
George- the most sincerely hopeful to find "the answer" at the Ashram.
George and John remained for several more weeks, each meditating several
hours a day.  But a rumor, supposedly started and spread by John's friend
"Magic Alex" Mardas, filtered through to the Beatles' camp.  ("Magic Alex"
was a would-be-inventor and full-time hanger-on (i.e. parasite) of the
Beatles and was accompanying the boys at the retreat).
According to Magic Alex's salacious rumor, the holy Maharishi had made an
overt pass at one or more of the pretty girls studying there.  (Different
sources cite the anonymous girl as being either Mia Farrow, her sister
Prudence Farrow, or another cute short-haired blonde bombshell at the camp).

John Lennon- impulsive, quick-tempered, and trusting of his pal, Magic Alex-
immediately rounded up his wife and friends and decided to leave.  It was
John who confronted the surprised guru, the Maharishi, and told him they
were all hitting the road.  "But why are you leaving?" Maharishi asked.
"If you're so cosmic, you'll know!" Lennon spat.  According to John, the
Maharishi shot him a look of daggers at that point and John immediately knew
he was a fake and a fraud.  And, thus, John, George, their respective wives
and their retinue peremptorily left India.

Upon arriving back in England, John unwrapped the final song he had written
while in India- a disillusioned, angry song called "Maharishi".  Lennon
supposedly scratched out the original lyrics on a piece of wood at the
London apple offices.  (Ringo's wife, Maureen, actually owned the piece of
wood John carved the song on. She later sold the carved, seminal "Maharishi"
song to a Beatles collector years later.)

The original lyrics were incredibly cruel and vile, as Paul remembers John
first playing the tune for him.  "Who the f**k do you think you are?" was
about the mildest of the original lyrics.
John's song referred to the Maharishi in the worst possible sexual epithets.
It was George who advised John to tone the song down and change the title
from "Maharishi" to "Sexy Sadie".  (For legal reasons, but also, George was
not as upset or disillusioned as John. After initially leaving the camp with
John, George returned to India for a few more weeks of meditation, peace,
and quiet).

When "Sexy Sadie" was recorded over four sessions in July and August of '68,
John spent much of the time cursing and sputtering about the whole Maharishi
experience, still deeply hurt and disillusioned.
"Sexy Sadie" was to appear in a few months on the Beatles' legendary "White
Album" later in 1968.  The finished song is a very nice one, like most of
John Lennon's brilliant body of work.  And to this day, I am sure many
uneducated listeners assume "Sexy Sadie" was written about a sexy,
unscrupulous woman who took the writer and other men for a ride and used
them.  The truth is that it was written as an angry, hostile "homage" to a
short, bearded, gray-haired Indian guru.

But why did John so wholeheartedly and immediately believe Magic Alex's
gossip and story about the Maharishi?  After all, Paul, George, and John's
wife, Cynthia, were all to later state that the story was a hoax and was
concocted entirely by the nefarious Magic Alex.  And even if the alleged
story was true, as Paul was to later say, the Maharishi made no claims to
being some god with no carnal desires.  "Don't treat me like a god. I'm a
meditation teacher" was Paul's quote from the guru.  "There was no deal that
you mustn't touch women. There wasn't a vow of chastity involved", Paul
added.

Maybe John just simply bought the malicious accusation, but Beatle scholars
offer up a few different views.  One is that John was just bored and tired
of being the Maharishi's disciple and wanted to return to England.  As a bit
of a stretch, others offer the theory that John even got Magic Alex to cook
up the story so he'd have an excuse to blow the Ashram.
But a more accurate and likely theory lies a bit deeper, under the radar
screen at the time.  Every day he was at the Maharishi's camp, John would
happily hop to the local post office branch, where he was receiving strange,
mysterious letters and postcards from an odd Japanese performance artist
named Yoko Ono.
Lennon had met Yoko Ono previously, but these mailings fascinated and
intrigued him.  The feminine-scrawled mailings contained enigmatic lines of
poetry like, "Look up at the sky and see my face" or "Take your thoughts and
dig a hole and bury them."
These postcards and letters and their "messages" spellbound Lennon and
captured his imagination.  He may have been dying to get back to London to
give this Yoko Ono a call and get together with her. And this is exactly
what happened, almost as soon as John arrived back home.

Cynthia Lennon, John's wife of six years, was unceremoniously dumped and
John cast his lot with Yoko. The Beatles were, after all, just four human
beings.  And human beings look for answers- and find them in many different
places.

Years later, Paul, George, and Ringo were all to publicly state their
gratitude to the Maharishi for what he had given them, and all three were to
indulge in the transcendental meditation he had taught them, throughout
their lives.  The three Beatles (but not John) were to have only kind words
about their old friend and teacher, the Maharishi.  And, ironically, it was
in his beloved Yoko Ono that the earnestly searching John Lennon was to find
his own particular "truth" in life.

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net
clip_image001.jpg