It's a Name that tune Friday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 20, 2014, 11:43:19 PM2/20/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Name that tune Friday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

*We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café!

February 21st, 2014:

 ****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*By pressing F6 in The Winners Circle you can download RS Games, Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchens Golf. You will need these downloads to play some of our tournaments. Also you can download our bowling game for our Blind Café bowling league in the Dragon Strike Zone.

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
or if you have any questions for Monica you can e-mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.orgc

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

* Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermons.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy some luck of the Irish. Coming soon our members Saint Patrick’s Day Limerick’s.

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

*Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Billy Covington songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Friday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join Mike and the breakfast club crew in the Donut and Coffee shop.

9:30am join your host Bill in the Café Fitness Zone for a good morning wake up work out!

*11am Join your host Patti W. Yes! You guessed it. It’s an early morning game of Zilch!

*2:30pm join your host TG Dragon blood in the Winner Circle for an afternoon game of Texas Hold Em! Terry will be in the room half an hour before the game starts to answer any questions.

*4 pm join your hosts Alan for an informative hour all about Chess. Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess! In the Knights of the Round Table room.

5pm Happy Hour in the Pirate’s Cove Room

*8pm join your hosts Julie and Patti W for name that tune. Can you name a tune in 2 seconds for 50 points? How about 3 seconds for 30 points? Don’t worry you can always ask for team help for 20 points. *10 pm join your host Neva for Friday night Café Craps in our Café Craps Dice Room.

Midnight Join Shammy in the Café Comedy lounge for some after hours humor, it promises to be a hoot, and lots of laughs.

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Blind Café Bake Sale!

When: Saturday April 5th, 2014

Time: 2pm

Where: Café Premier Events Room.

Donations by:

Patti W.

1 batch of Cinnamon rolls baked Pitti Pat Style.

1 batch of apple crisp.

Kathy Rose.

1 batch of sugar Cookies

1 batch of Peanut butter cookies

Alicia.

1 batch of oatmeal cookies

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Julie P.

1 batch of English Sausage Rolls

1 batch of Scotch Eggs

1 batch of Ricks famous balls

Karen.

1 batch of Raspberry and cream filled buns

Lorraine.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge your choice if you want Lorraine to add nuts.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge.

Neva.

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Cheryl aka Mrs. TG Dragon

1 batch- approximately 40 plus buckeye's

 1 batch- approximately 40 Buckeye’s

 They are creamy peanut butter fudge type balls dipped in chocolate,   to resemble a buckeye. They are about as big as round as a half dollar or almost as big as a golf ball.

Tiffany will be donating several arts and crafts items and don’t forget to buy some raffle tickets for Lorraine’s homemade quilt. $5 for one and 5 for $20. Imagine a brand new Queen size or your choice of size for $20 you can’t beat that guys!

If you wish to donate something to our bake sale, please send an email to ju...@blindcafe.net with details.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force-Terry and Cheryl

Cool Breezers-Julie and Geoff

Matt and Shawn Country All Stars

Choke a holics-Terra and Kathy

Witches and Stitches-Lorraine and Tiffany

California Crew-Gerald and Kim

Tornado Twosome-Patti and Soo kia

Lucky Strike on Fire!-Kevin and Cynna

Alicia and Connie

Paul and Latice

Scooby needs a partner

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

Join Mike this morning for a cup of brew and a chat.

9:30am Café Fitness Zone:

Hi! This is Bill!
Also known as Mister Fitness Here on the Blind Café!
Join me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the Café Fitness
Zone!
For your morning exercise                          !
We're going to be working out!
We're going to be talking about nutrition!
We're going to be talking about how to put together an exercise program and
live a healthier better life!
The better you look, the better you feel, the better you feel about
yourself.
So Come in, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 9:30,
Right after the Donut shop,
and be ready to sweat and have some fun!
So join me, Bill, Mister Fitness,
and In the Café Fitness Zone.

11 am Zilch Out Room Sponsored by Patti W:

Join your host Patti W and her computer Spanky in our Zilch Out room for a great game of Zilch. All you need to know about this game is don’t Zilch Out.

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and   chat while we serve you a freshly made sandwich, croissant or for dessert try one of our French pastries.  Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Shawn.

Vegetables
Tomato Stack
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 large tomatoes, halved
Cook broccoli as directed. Drain and mix with cheese, reserve 2
tablespoons cheese for top. Add onion. Place tomato halves in greased
baking dish. Place broccoli mixture on each tomato half and top with
reserved cheese. Broil 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes 6 servings.

2:30pm Texas Hold Em In The Winners Circle. Sponsered by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

 Join your host TG Dragonblood for Texas Hold Em. We will be holding tournaments Friday’s and Sunday’s on Quintons Playroom, you need to have the program downloaded. Terry will be in the room at 2pm to answer any questions.

4 pm Chess Chat In the   Knights of the Round Table Room. Sponsored by Alan Dicey:

Today at 4pm. Do you like to play Chess?  Would you like to learn how to play chess? Then join your host Alan and Shammy in their new room “Knights of the round table” Here’s what Alan has to say: "Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
I will tell you How You Can Learn to Play Chess Absolutely free of cost,
including receiving a free full size highest quality "Adaptive Chess Set"!
"The Gymnastics of the Brain" or "The Martial Arts of the Mind" feel the
"Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" or just have lots of fun, a
fantastic hobby, wonderful inexpensive recreation, playing blind or sighted
people alike.
A great way to meet others, take this games of Kings to whatever level you
like!
Each Week, I will be discussing all aspects of this great Sport, from how
to get started, to improving your game if you play already!

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think!

5pm Happy Hour in The Pirate’s Cove Room. Sponsored by Alicia:

Come listen to some great Jimmy Buffet tunes!

8 PM Name that tune In Games R Us Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your hosts Julie and Patti W for Name that tune. Can you name a tune in 2 seconds for 50 points? How about 3 seconds for 30 points? Don’t worry, you can always ask for team 20 points. If you love music, this is the game for you!

10 PM Café Craps in Café Craps Dice Room:

Join your host Neva for our house game. Can you roll the highest score? Or at least 100 to enter this months tournament? Come by and find out.  All you need to know about this game is, don’t Crap out.

Midnight Open Mic Night in Café Comedy Lounge. Sponsored by Shammy Join your host Sham the man for side bursting jokes. Find out this weeks Blind Café Top 10 hilarious do’s and don’t’s on the Cafe, compiled by Shammy himself. This is an adult event.

11pm Café after Dark opens sponsored by Terra Lee:

  Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club. Where they meet every day.

****What’s for Dessert in the Members Corner:

*Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for today:

February 21
 National Sticky Bun Day
 National Biscuits and Gravy Day

**Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

**** Joke of the Day:                                      > While taking a routine vandalism report at an elementary school, I was interrupted by a little girl about 6 years old. Looking up and down at my uniform, she asked, "Are you a cop?"

> "Yes," I answered and continued writing the report.
>
> "My mother said if I ever needed help I should ask the police. Is that right?"
>
> "Yes, that's right," I told her.
>
> "Well, then," she said as she extended her foot toward me, "would you tie my shoe?"

Of Course! Boom Boom!

Don’t forget to come on out to the Café Comedy Lounge tonight and visit with Sham the Man for Open Mic night. Shammy wants to hear your jokes. Don’t forget he purchased Cheryl’s naughty joke book in the Auction so if you want to hear some good one’s tonight, he suggests you come on out and visit with him.. See y’all at midnight!

****What causes migraines sent in by Alan:

What Causes Migraines
Migraines are one of 4 types of primary headaches, and they come in two
forms.  Those with an aura and those without.   The other three primary
headaches are; tension headaches, cluster headaches and, the catch-all type
known as, other primary headaches.  These include things like exercise
induced or cough induced headaches.
No one knows for sure the exact mechanisms that cause migraines.  What we do
know is, there are anatomical differences between migraines with an aura and
those without.
Migraines without an aura were once thought to be caused by a decrease in
blood flow to the brain.  Current research however, has shown those
decreases are likely caused by the pain associated with the migraine and not
the migraine itself.  Aura symptoms before a migraine, however, do have
blood-flow changes associated with their symptoms. To better understand
what's going on with migraines, let's look at headaches in general.
Headaches come in two forms, primary and secondary.  A primary headache is
one where the headache is the problem, and as such, is the cause of your
symptoms.  A secondary headache is one where the headache is the result of
something else, like a stroke or a hangover.  You may have a headache, but
the problem is the bleeding in your brain or the excessive amounts of
alcohol you consumed.
Arguably, the organization most responsible for the job of classifying
headaches, and making recommendations on treatment, is the International
Headache Society (IHS).  Since their inception in 1982, they've had 3
versions of classification and recommendations for treatment.  These
versions being re-written when significant changes in the science and
understanding of headaches occur.
The IHS recognizes migraines as a significant problem world-wide.  In 2010,
the Global Burden of Disease Survey was conducted and recognized migraines
as the 3rd most prevalent disorder.  It was also the seventh-highest cause
of disability.
Whether a migraine, or a headache caused by binge drinking, it's extremely
difficult for medical professionals to differentiate between the different
types.  This is because they all come with very similar symptoms.  The
difference being the exact mechanisms causing those symptoms.  Often times,
the only thing to separate one cause from the other, is what you tell the
doctor.
For your doctor to diagnose you with having migraines, and as such be
treated with medications for them, your headache must meet the following
criteria; you must have at least 5 attacks a year that all have the same
presentation.  The headache lasts 4 - 72 hours, be associated with nausea
and/or vomiting, and come with photophobia (intolerance to light) or
phonophobia (intolerance to sound).
The pain associated with your headache must also meet some criteria.  It
should only be on one side of your head, have a pulsating quality that is
moderate or severe, and is aggravated, or causes the avoidance of, physical
activity.
To say your migraine comes with an aura (a specific sensation that precedes
the migraine), the aura itself has to meet some benchmarks.  Specifically,
it has to be fully reversible, and at least one aura symptom gradually
spreads over 5 minutes or longer, or you have two or more symptoms that
occur in succession.  Each aura must last 5-60 minutes and be accompanied by
a migraine within an hour (although some studies have suggested this time
frame be extended to days).  Common aura symptoms include nausea, fatigue,
difficulty concentrating, stiff neck, and repetitive yawning. The most
common aura is a visual one that can involve sensitivity to light or blurred
vision.
Migraines without an aura were once thought to blood-flow related.  Brain
images of people with migraines have shown this to be, most likely, false.
The only blood-flow changes to any specific brain area, have been to the
brain stem.  It has been suggested these changes are more likely the result
of pain, and not the cause itself.
While no one has definitively shown the exact origin of migraines, it's now
known to be a neurobiological disorder.  Basically meaning, an illness of
the nervous system that's caused by biological factors like genetics or
metabolism.  This is known because of several ancillary findings.
Studies have shown the messenger molecules nitric oxide,
5-hydroxytryptamine, and calcitonin gene-related peptide are involved with
this type of headache.  A class of drugs, known as triptans, has also shown
to be extremely effective in treating this type of migraine.  This drug
class specifically targets the receptor sites for these messenger molecules
and either inhibits them, or helps them.  Researchers have shown that if you
help the messenger molecule for 5-hydroxytryptamine, or inhibit the molecule
calcitonin gene-related peptide, headache symptoms can be greatly reduced.
While the migraine itself isn't blood flow related, the aura's associated
are.  Studies show blood flow to the region of the cortex associated with
the headache is decreased before, or happens simultaneously, with the onset
of aura symptoms.  This decrease tends to start in the back of the affected
area and spreads to the front.  It can also reach levels that indicate the
cells in that area aren't getting enough oxygen and nutrients for normal
function.
Due to the fact no one has nailed down the exact cause of migraines, the
treatment for them revolves around two things.  Prevention and pain
management during an episode.
Prevention can include drugs from many different classes.  Ones that treat
high blood pressure, like Beta-blockers, to ones that treat seizures, like
Depakote.
Medications used to manage the symptoms during an attack can include the
aforementioned Triptans, like Imitrex.  Drugs that affect Seratonin levels
can also be prescribed.  Anti-nausea drugs like Benadryl, and pain
medications, like Codeine, are also extremely common.
In the end, basic neuroscience, as well as clinical research, is advancing
our understanding of migraines and their causes.  With any luck, and a lot
of continued research, migraines will become a thing of the past.
- - -*****My Friday story sent in by Mike Tate:

MY FRIDAY STORY
The Words Of Mother Teresa
Compiled by George Wachirah
The common theme of Mother Teresa words reflect her work with the lonely, the sick,
the dying and the destitute. Her unending love came through in her work and in her
words.
She was forever compassionate towards the loneliness felt by "wealthy" people, who
on the surface had it all. She was also very concerned about the breakdown of families.
Here is a collection of her words which say it all:
Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of
love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.
I have found the paradox, that if you love
 until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more
love.
If we want a love
 message to be heard, it has got to be sent out. To keep a lamp burning, we have
to keep putting oil in it.
Do not think that love
, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to
love
 without getting tired.
Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater developments
and greater riches and so on, so that children have very little time for their parents,
parents have very little time for each other, and in the home begins the disruption
of peace of the world.
It is easy to love
 the people far away. It is not always easy to
love
 those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to
relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring
love
 into your home for this is where our love for each other must start.
If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
Even the rich are hungry for love
, for being cared for, for being wanted, for having someone to call their own.
Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of
love.
Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.
Love
 begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much
love we put in that action.
Peace begins with a smile.
Spread love
 everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.
The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling
of being unwanted.
The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being unloved.
The hunger for love
 is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.
The success of love
 is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in
love
 to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not
does not determine the value of what we have done.
There is more hunger in the world for love
 and appreciation in this world than for bread. We think sometimes that poverty is
only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and
uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this
kind of poverty.
Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much
greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Good works are links that form a chain of love.
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great
love.
Mother Teresa's message of love
 and hope lives on - it is now up to all of us to continue her work and make the
world a better place.

*****Today in history by Alan Dicey:

TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Thursday, February 20, the 51st day of 2014.
There are 314 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
On this date, February 20, 1944, during World War II, U.S. strategic bombers
began raiding German aircraft manufacturing centers in a series of attacks
that became known as "Big Week.
On this date in 1725: American colonists practice scalping
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/american-colonists-practice-scalping
On this date, in 1792, President George Washington signed an act creating
the U.S. Post Office.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/postal-service-act-regulates-united-states-post-office-department
On this date in 1809, the Supreme Court ruled that no state legislature
could annul the judgments or determine the jurisdictions of federal courts.
On this date in 1862, William Wallace Lincoln, the 11-year-old son of
President Abraham Lincoln and first lady Mary Todd Lincoln, died at the
White House, apparently of typhoid fever.
On this date in 1864: during the Civil War, Rebels defeat Yankees at the
Battle of Olustee
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-olustee
On this date in 1902 : Ansel Adams is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ansel-adams-is-born
On this date in 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt signed an immigration act
which excluded "idiots, imbeciles, feebleminded persons, epileptics, insane
persons" from being admitted to the United States.
On this date in 1919: Amir of Afghanistan is assassinated
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/amir-of-afghanistan-is-assassinated
On this date in 1933, Congress proposed the 21st Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution to repeal Prohibition.
On this date in 1938, Anthony Eden resigned as British foreign secretary
following Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's decision to negotiate with
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini.
On this date in 1942: Pilot O'Hare becomes first American World War 2 flying
ace
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/pilot-ohare-becomes-first-american-wwii-flying-ace
On this date in 1950, the U.S. Supreme Court, in United States very.
Rabinowitz ruled 5-3 that authorities making a lawful arrest did not need a
warrant to search and seize evidence in an area that was in the "immediate
and complete control" of the suspect.
Also, on this date in 1950: Dylan Thomas arrives in New York
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dylan-thomas-arrives-in-new-york
On this date in 1962, astronaut John Glenn became the first American to
orbit the Earth as he flew aboard Project Mercury's Friendship 7 spacecraft.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/an-american-orbits-earth
On this date in 1968: Hearings begin on American policy in Vietnam
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/hearings-begin-on-american-policy-in-vietnam
On this date in 1971, the National Emergency Warning Center in Colorado
erroneously ordered U.S. radio and TV stations off the air; some stations
heeded the alert, which was not lifted for about 40 minutes.
On this date in 1974: Atlanta Constitution editor is kidnapped
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/atlanta-constitution-editor-is-kidnapped
On this date in 1976: SEATO disbands
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/seato-disbands
On this date in 1985: Ireland allows sale of contraceptives
in a highly controversial vote on February 20, 1985, the Irish government
defies the powerful Catholic Church and approves the sale of contraceptives.
On this date in 1986: Chunnel plans announced
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/chunnel-plans-announced
On this date in 1987, a bomb left by Unabomber Ted Kaczynski exploded behind
a computer store in Salt Lake City, seriously injuring store owner Gary
Wright.
Also, on this date In 1987 Soviet authorities released Jewish activist Josef
Begun.
On this date in 1992: John Singleton nominated for Best Director Oscar
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-singleton-nominated-for-best-director-oscar
On this date in 1997: Kramer on "Seinfeld" adopts a highway
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/kramer-on-seinfeld-adopts-a-highway
On this date in 1998: Tara Lipinski becomes youngest Olympic figure skating
gold medalist
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tara-lipinski-becomes-youngest-olympic-figure-skating-gold-medalist
On this date in 1999, movie reviewer Gene Siskel died at a hospital outside
Chicago at age 53.
On this date in 2003, a fire sparked by pyrotechnics broke out during a
concert by the group Great White at The Station nightclub in West arwick,
Rhode Island, killing 100 people and injuring about 200 others.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/rhode-island-nightclub-burns
Ten years ago:
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered the state attorney general
to take immediate legal steps to stop same-sex weddings in San Francisco.
(The next month, the California Supreme Court ordered an immediate halt to
same-sex weddings in San Francisco.)
Bypassing angry Senate Democrats, President George W. Bush installed Alabama
Attorney General William Pryor as a U.S. appeals court judge in his second
"recess appointment" of a controversial nominee in five weeks.
Five years ago:
President Barack Obama warned a gathering of mayors at the White House that
he would "call them out" if they wasted the money from his massive economic
stimulus plan.
The Dow Jones industrial average ended the week at 7,365.67, the lowest
level in more than six years.
Israeli President Shimon Peres chose Benjamin Netanyahu to form a new
government.
The WTA fined Dubai Tennis Championships organizers a record $300,000 after
Israeli player Shahar Peer was denied a visa by the United Arab Emirates.
One year ago:
The Obama administration announced a broad new effort to fight the growing
theft of American trade secrets following fresh evidence linking
cyberstealing to China's military.
Former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., entered a guilty plea in federal
court to criminal charges that he'd engaged in a scheme to spend $750,000 in
campaign funds on personal items; his wife, Sandra Jackson, pleaded guilty
to filing false joint federal income tax returns.
Today's Birthdays:
Gloria Vanderbilt is 90.
Actor Sidney Poitier is 87.
Racing Hall of Famer Bobby Unser is 80.
Actress Marj Dusay is 78.
Jazz-soul singer Nancy Wilson is 77.
Racing Hall of Famer Roger Penske is 77.
Singer-songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie is 73.
Hockey Hall-of-Famer Phil Esposito is 72.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, is 72.
Movie director Mike Leigh is 71.
Actress Brenda Blethyn is 68.
Actress Sandy Duncan is 68.
Rock musician J. Geils is 68.
Actor Peter Strauss is 67.
Rock singer-musician-producer Walter Becker (Steely Dan) is 64.
Former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown is 63.
Country singer Kathie Baillie is 63.
Actor John Voldstad is 63.
Newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst is 60.
Actor Anthony Stewart Head is 60.
Country singer Leland Martin is 57.
Actor James Wilby is 56.
Rock musician Sebastian Steinberg is 55.
Comedian Joel Hodgson (HAHD'-suhn) is 54.
Basketball Hall-of-Famer Charles Barkley is 51.
Rock musician Ian Brown (Stone Roses) is 51.
Actor Willie Garson is 50.
Actor French Stewart is 50.
Actor Ron Eldard is 49.
Model Cindy Crawford is 48.
Actor Andrew Shue is 47.
Actress Lili Taylor is 47.
Singer Brian Littrell is 39.
Actress Lauren Ambrose is 36.
Actor Jay Hernandez is 36.
Country musician Coy Bowles is 35.
Actress Majandra Delfino is 33.
Singer-musician Chris Thile (THEE'-lee) is 33.
Actor Jake Richardson is 29.
Singer Rihanna is 26.
Thought for Today:
"I've always believed in the adage that the secret of eternal youth is
arrested development."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth, former first daughter (born 1884, died this date
in 1980).
- - -

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”