It's a Hollywood Squares Wednesday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Apr 16, 2014, 12:24:58 AM4/16/14
to the-dai...@googlegroups.com

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, it’s a Rick Rock’s Jeopardy Wednesday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

Talking of host and hostesses they ask if you would kindly arrive at their games 15 minutes early so they can put you on a team. Thank you.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: April 16th, 2014.

 Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café fill out the form at: http://www.emissives.com

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Some of our games are played in conjunction with RS Games. You need to have this site downloaded in order to play. For your convenience you can go to the winners circle, press F6 and download not only RS Games, but Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchen’s Golf.

*Faith Chapel. Press F6 and listen to Previously Recorded Sermons from Pastor Jonathan Brayfield and Pastor Volly Nelson.

*Press F6 in the Fitness Zone. In this room you will find several different workouts and stretches that Mr. Fitness has put together for you. These MP3's are not only designed to help you lose weight but they will help with keeping things like your hands healthy with all the typing we do. Also our shoulders from all the sitting we do at the computers. So Come on into the Fitness Zone and work out when ever you want to just by pressing F6!

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*The Pirate’s Cove. Press F6 and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet!

*Laughing Leprechaun. Press F6 and enjoy Limerick’s recorded by our members!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Wednesday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join your host Scooby and crew for our morning breakfast club.

9am join your host Bill in the Café Fitness Zone for a good morning wake up work out!

*11am Farkle with Scooby!

2:30pm Texas Hold Em with your host Terry in The Winners Circle.

*

8pm join Rick Rock for Hollywood Squares! Are you going to be on the X team or the O team? Come on in and find out!

9: 15 pm Is it in burst? Outburst? Or Reverse burst? Come on in to Alicia’s Pot Luck Night and find out!

10:30pm Join Neva in the Winners Circle for Farkle. Neva’s Farkle Tournament has moved to Wednesday nights!

11:30 pm join your host Alan in Café after Dark for Late nighttime chat.

**New Events Menu:

New Event:

Kentucky Derby Day.
Yes guys! It’s just around the corner.  Race day!  Kentucky Derby Day is one of my favorite days of the year. I have a house full of people, the pool is full, the Kentucky burgers are on the grill and the mint juleps are on ice. It’s a day I like to share with my virtual friends as well and so I created Blind Café Derby Day just for you. Here’s how it works. Create a name for your horse. Then a name for your jockey and the silk colors you would like him to wear. Then enter him into the Blind Café Kentucky Derby which is run on the first Saturday in May. All entries need to be submitted to   Julie at ju...@blindcafe.netApril 30th is the cut off date for horse entries as we need to determine the number of races on race day. One winner from each race will be entered into the big Kentucky Derby Race at the end of the day. See if your horse and Jockey wins the $50 purse. It's real easy, great fun and a day full of excitement! So get thinking about those horse and Jockey names and see you at the races! Programs are available for this event for a small donation of $3. The program will list each race with horse name, Jockey and colors. For a copy of the program contact ju...@blindcafe.net

*Owners. Horse names. Jockey’s and their colors are listed in our member’s corner below.

****For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all! This morning meet your host Scooby for some chat and morning laughs.

9am Café Fitness Zone:

Hi! This is Bill!
Also known as Mister Fitness Here on the Blind Café!
Join me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the Café Fitness
Zone!
For your morning exercise                          !
We're going to be working out!
We're going to be talking about nutrition!
We're going to be talking about how to put together an exercise program and
live a healthier better life!
The better you look, the better you feel, the better you feel about
yourself.
So Come in, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 9:30,
Right after the Donut shop,
and be ready to sweat and have some fun!
So join me, Bill, Mister Fitness,
and In the Café Fitness Zone.

11am Farkle in the Winners Circle Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

 Join your host Scooby in the Winner’s Circle for a Game of Farkle.You must have RS Games downloaded to play!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and chat while we serve you a freshly made croissant sandwich, French pastry or delicious dessert. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Kim aka Ellendor

You can easily expand the recipe to what you want. Also, you can vary the recipe if you have leftover rice, or have cooked chorizo or sausage, but generally, the essential ingredients for me are the following:

1 can refried beans (I prefer the traditional one, but you can change it if you like)

A few handfuls of Mexican-blend already-grated cheese (here again, you can probably get grated sharp cheddar if you like, and I said “a few handfuls” because you can make the casserole very cheesy or less so, it’s a judgment call. I like mine very cheesy.)

2 tbsp to ¼ cup medium salsa (again, this is a matter of taste. You may want more or less. Also, if you wish, you can use mild or hot salsa according to which tastes better. But if you do get salsa, I like it chunky so you can taste the bits of onion and pepper in it.)

Tortilla chips or a couple of corn tortillas sautéed in oil so they’re browned.

Method: Open beans and drain them. If you have tortilla chips, you can break them up into smaller pieces or leave as is. If using sautéed tortillas, place one in the bottom of your casserole. If using tortilla chips, fully cover the bottom of your dish with as many as will fit. Cover tortilla or chips with beans. Add salsa and some cheese. Mix so the beans are flavored with the cheese and the salsa. If you have cooked rice or chorizo or sausage, add to bean mixture and mix. Place a corn tortilla or tortilla chips over beans to completely cover them. Cover with cheese. Place in a preheated dg350 or thereabouts and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until beans are hot, cheese is melted and the tortillas are browned. This will serve me. But again, do vary the proportions to your taste to serve more people. Let me know how you like this. Regards, Kim Friedman.

.

_____

2:30pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Terry for his Tournament game. If you have a poker face you will be great at this game. Terry will open up the room at 2pm to answer any questions and to give instructions on how to play! You will need Quinton’s Playroom downloaded in order to participate.

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think! Join our special host of the day Alan for afternoon tea and chat.

8Pm Hollywood Squares In Games R Us:

Join Rick Rock for this game of X’s and O’s.

9: 15 pm Outburst in Games R Us:

Join your host Alicia for pot luck game night. You never know what game Alicia will have up her sleeve for you!

10:30pm Farkle in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join Neva for her Farkle Tournament Game.

11 pm Café after Dark opens Sponsored by Terra Lee:

  . Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day.

*****What’s for Dessert in our Members Corner?

**Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:

National Eggs Benedict Day

***Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

~ A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

*** Today’s Joke of the day:

Ø      "
~ A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.
Of course! Boom! Hahahahahaha****I’m going to Disney World by Alan:

Ø      How the "I'm going to Disneyland/Disney World" saying got started
In January of 1987, CEO of Disney, Michael Eisner, and his wife were having
dinner with Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager.  Rutan and Yeager had just recently
become the first to fly an aircraft around the world without re-fueling or
stopping.  At a certain point in the dinner, Eisner's wife, Jane, asked
Rutan and Yeager what they were going to do now that they'd achieved this
momentous milestone.  The response she got was, "Well, we're going to
Disneyland."
Jane Eisner thought this would make a great slogan in an advertising
campaign and suggested it to her husband, Michael.  Michael Eisner liked it
and decided that Disney would use this slogan in a commercial following
Super Bowl XXI, in 1987 in which the New York Giants defeated the Denver
Broncos 39-20.
The athlete they got to star in this commercial was the quarterback for the
Giants, Phil Simms.  During the game, Simms completed one of the better
performances by a quarterback in Super Bowl history, going 22 for 25 in pass
completions for a total of 268 yards.  Even more remarkable was the fact
that two of the three incomplete passes were good throws, dropped by the
receivers. He also set the record for most consecutive pass completions in a
Super Bowl game.  For this outstanding performance, Simms was named the MVP
of Super Bowl XXI and offered $75,000 by Disney to appear in their
commercial, with his part filmed directly after the game. During this, he
was to say "I'm gonna go to Disney World!" with alternate takes having him
say "Disneyland" instead of "Disney World".
Disney then followed this up with making three more such commercials in
1987, following other major sporting championships.  These included hiring:
yachtsman Dennis Conner, after winning the America's Cup; NBA star Magic
Johnson, after the Lakers won the NBA Finals, and MLB player Frank Viola,
after the Twins won the World Series that year.
For the record, many of the athletes and others who have uttered those words
for Disney really do go to Disneyland or Disney World shortly after doing
the ad spot.  Disney gives them an "MVP" all-expense paid trip, flying them
on a private jet to Disneyland or Disney World and then puts their family up
in a suite for the duration of their vacation.  They also are made the Grand
Marshall of a parade and take part in various events for Disney during their
stay.
- - -

Ø      *****Whey the insides of Apples turn Brown:

Ø      Why the Insides of Apples Turn Brown When Exposed to Air
the insides of apples turn brown when exposed to air thanks to a built in
defense mechanism against bacteria and fungus. The trigger for this is
damage to the cells, such as when you cut the apple, which then results in
certain enzymes within the cells being exposed to oxygen. When this happens,
the enzymes react to the oxygen creating an oxidized layer that provides
some protection against foreign bodies.
More technically, an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase (also known as
tyrosinase), which is comprised of monophenol oxidase and catechol oxidase
enzymes, when exposed to oxygen will result in phenolic compounds in the
apple tissue turning into ortho-quinones or "o-quinones." O-quinones are
what is providing the protection from bacteria and fungi as they form a
natural antiseptic.  The o-quinones themselves have no color, but they
further react with amino acids and oxygen to produce melanin, which is how
we get the brown color on the cut cells of the apple.

If you want to keep cut open apples from going brown quickly as they do when
just sitting on the kitchen counter, simply place them in a refrigerator.
This will drastically slow the chemical reactions and thus the oxidation
process. You can also, of course, limit the apple's exposure to air via
sealing it in an airtight bag or jar. Another option here is to put the cut
apple in water for a similar effect.

If you don't mind a lemony flavor, spray the exposed area in pineapple or
lemon juice.  This will stop the polyphenol oxidase from reacting to oxygen
thanks primarily to the acidity of the juices which denature the browning
enzymes. (This also works with avocados, potatoes, etc. for the same
reason.) If you don't like the taste of lemons, a similar method involves
rubbing the surface of the apple in salt, sugar, or some form of syrup.
Yet another method of stopping the browning process is to heat the apple to
extreme levels, which if the temperature is high enough is another way to
denature the polyphenol oxidase. This is commonly done when making things
like apple pie by dropping the apples in boiling water and leaving them
there for a few minutes.
Bonus Facts:
Cocoa, tea, apple juice, and coffee are all varying levels of brown for the
exact same reason a freshly cut apple's pulp turns brown- polyphenol
oxidase.
Polyphenol oxidase also is needed in the browning of humans, once again
involved in the process of creating melanin.
- -- -******Today in history by Alan Dicey:

Ø      TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Tuesday, April 15, the 105th day of 2014. There
are 260 days left in the year.
Today's Highlights in History:
On this date: In 1764, Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, Marquise de Pompadour, the
highly influential mistress of France's King Louis XV, died at Versailles at
age 42.
On this date in 1783: Congress ratifies peace with Great Britain
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-ratifies-peace-with-great-britain
On this date in 1850, the city of San Francisco was incorporated.
On this date in 1865, President Abraham Lincoln died, nine hours after being
shot the night before by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater in Washington;
Andrew Johnson became the nation's 17th president.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-dies-from-an-assassins-bullet
On this date in 1874, an exhibition of paintings by 30 artists, including
Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Paul Cezanne, opened in
Paris. (A critic derisively referred to the painters as "Impressionists," a
name which stuck.)
On this date in 1894: Bessie Smith is born in Chattanooga, Tennessee
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bessie-smith-is-born-in-chattanooga-tennessee
On this date in 1912, the British luxury liner RMS Titanic foundered in the
North Atlantic off Newfoundland more than 2-- hours after hitting an
iceberg; 1,514 people died, while less than half as many survived.
"Unsinkable" Titanic sinks
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/unsinkable-titanic-sinks
On this date in 1914, Mooseheart, Illinois, held its "Good Roads Day,"
organized by the Moose Lodge, in which Illinois Governor Edward F. Dunne
used a shovel to ceremonially start work on paving a two-mile section of the
Lincoln Highway by volunteers using state-loaned equipment.
On this date in 1918 : during World War 1, British evacuate Passchendaele
Ridge
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/british-evacuate-passchendaele-ridge
On this date in 1920: The Sacco-Vanzetti case draws national attention
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-sacco-vanzetti-case-draws-national-attention
On this date in 1940: English author and politician Jeffrey Archer is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/english-author-and-politician-jeffrey-archer-is-born
On this date in 1944 : during World War 2, Soviets capture Tarnopol in
Poland
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soviets-capture-tarnopol-in-poland
On this date in 1945, during World War II, British and Canadian troops
liberated the Nazi concentration camp Bergen-Belsen.
On this date in 1947, Jackie Robinson, baseball's first black major league
player, made his official debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers on opening day.
Jackie Robinson breaks color barrier
Jackie Robinson, age 28, becomes the first African-American player in Major
League Baseball when he steps onto Ebbets Field in Brooklyn to compete for
the Brooklyn Dodgers.  (The Dodgers defeated the Boston Braves, 5-3.)
On this date in 1959: Fidel Castro visits the United States
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/castro-visits-the-united-states
On this date in 1964, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connecting Virginia's
Eastern Shore with Virginia Beach was opened to traffic.
On this date in 1967: during the Vietnam War, Antiwar protests held in New
York and San Francisco
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/antiwar-protests-held-in-new-york-and-san-francisco
On this date in 1970: during the Vietnam War, U.S. 1st Infantry Division
withdraws from Vietnam
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/us-1st-infantry-division-withdraws-from-vietnam
On this date In 1974, members of the Symbionese Liberation Army held up a
branch of the Hibernia Bank in San Francisco; a member of the group was SLA
kidnap victim Patricia Hearst, who by this time was going by the name
"Tania" (Hearst later said she'd been forced to participate).
On this date In 1986, the United States launched an air raid against Libya
37 people, mostly civilians, were killed.
On this date in 1989, 96 people died in a crush of soccer fans at
Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, England.
Also, on this date In 1989 Students in Beijing launched a series of
pro-democracy protests; the demonstrations culminated in a government
crackdown at Tiananmen Square.
On this date in 1990 : Greta Garbo dies
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/greta-garbo-dies
On this date in 1998 : Pol Pot dies
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/pol-pot-dies
On this date, April 15, 2013, two bombs packed with nails and other lethal
metal shards exploded at the Boston Marathon finish line, killing two women
and an 8-year-old boy and injuring more than 260 people. (Bombing suspect
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR'
tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges, including the
use of a weapon of mass destruction; his brother and alleged accomplice,
Tamerlan Tsarnaev (TAM'-ehr-luhn tsahr-NEYE'-ehv), died in a shootout with
police.)
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/three-people-killed-hundreds-injured-in-boston-marathon-bombing
Ten years ago:
In an audiotape, a man identifying himself as Osama bin Laden offered a
"truce" to European countries that did not attack Muslims, saying it would
begin when their soldiers left Islamic nations; key European nations,
including Iraq war opponents Germany and France, vigorously rejected the
overture.
Iraqi militants freed three Japanese hostages after holding them about a
week.
In the finale to the first edition of the NBC reality show "The Apprentice,"
Donald Trump "hired" Bill Rancic (RAN'-sihk) over Kwame Jackson during a
segment that was telecast live.
Five years ago:
Whipped up by conservative commentators and bloggers, tens of thousands of
protesters staged "tea parties" around the country to tap into the
collective angst stirred up by a bad economy, government spending and
bailouts.
A U.S. Army master sergeant was convicted of murder at a court-martial in
Vilseck, Germany in the 2007 killings of four bound and blindfolded Iraqis.
(John Hatley initially received life in prison, but had his sentence later
reduced to 40 years.)
Pirates released the Greek-owned cargo ship Titan that had been hijacked off
the Somali coast on March 19.
One year ago:
Venezuela's electoral council quickly certified the razor-thin presidential
victory of Hugo Chavez's hand-picked successor, Nicolas Maduro.
North Koreans celebrated the birthday of their first leader, Kim Il Sung, by
dancing in plazas and snacking on peanuts.
The Denver Post won a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of the movie theater
massacre in Aurora, Colo., while The New York Times captured four awards for
reporting on a harrowing avalanche, the rise of a new aristocracy in China
and the business practices of Apple and Wal-Mart.
Adam Johnson's "The Orphan Master's Son" won the Pulitzer for fiction, while
Ayad Akhtar's "Disgraced" won the drama prize.
Today's Birthdays:
Country singer Roy Clark is 81.
Author and politician Jeffrey Archer is 74.
Rock singer-guitarist Dave Edmunds is 71.
Actor Michael Tucci is 68.
Actress Lois Chiles is 67.
Writer-producer Linda Bloodworth-Thomason is 67.
Actress Amy Wright is 64.
Columnist Heloise is 63.
Actress-screenwriter Emma Thompson is 55.
Bluegrass musician Jeff Parker is 53.
Singer Samantha Fox is 48.
Olympic gold, silver and bronze medal swimmer Dara Torres is 47.
Rock musician Ed O'Brien (Radiohead) is 46.
Actor Flex Alexander is 44.
Actor Danny Pino is 40.
Actor Douglas Spain is 40.
Actor Luke Evans is 35.
Rock musician Patrick Carney (The Black Keys) is 34.
Actor-writer Seth Rogen is 32.
Actress Alice Braga is 31.
Rock musician De'Mar Hamilton (Plain White That's) is 30.
Actress Emma Watson is 24.
Thought for Today:
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
Jean-Paul Sartre

      “We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”