It's a Rick Rock's Musical News Wednesday on Blind Cafe

1 view

Julie Parker

Jan 29, 2014, 12:07:47 AM1/29/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, its A Rick Rock’sMusical News    Wednesday on Blind Café!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

Talking of host and hostesses they ask if you would kindly arrive at their games 15 minutes early so they can put you on a team. Thank you.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: January 29th 2014.

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*Blind Café recommends Cavi courses. If   you are interested in any Cavi courses you can visit:
www.cavitraining.com
Or if you have any questions for Monica you can e mail her at:
mon...@ciscovision.orgc

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*The Pirate’s Cove. Press F6 and Sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet

*Laughing Leprechaun. Press F6 and enjoy some luck of the Irish!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny Christmas play that our Blind Café members acted in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder In the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

Andy Griffith

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*Wednesday’s Senior Menu:

*7 am Join your host Scooby and crew for our morning breakfast club.

*9:30am Join your host Bill in the Café Fitness Zone for a good morning wake up work out!

*11am Farkle with Scooby!

*2:30pm Texas Hold Em with your host Terry in The Winners Circle.

*8pm Musical News with Rick! Come join in this new game. It’s all about news, music and trivia.

9:15pm Alicia’s Pot Luck Night! Come by and see what game Alicia has up her sleeve tonight.

  *10:30pm Join Neva in the Winners Circle for a Game of her choice. After all it’s potluck night!

11:30 pm Join your host Alan in Café after Dark for Late nighttime chat.

**New Events Menu:

New Event:

February 15th. In addition to our talent contest we will be showcasing our auction songs. Please get with the person who bid on you and find out what song they would like you to sing.

****For our Classic Menu including times and explanation of games, please read below. All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all! This morning meet your host Scooby for some chat and morning laughs.

9:30am Café Fitness Zone:

Hi! This is Bill!
Also known as Mister Fitness Here on the Blind Café!
Join me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the Café Fitness
Zone!
For your morning exercise                          !
We're going to be working out!
We're going to be talking about nutrition!
We're going to be talking about how to put together an exercise program and
live a healthier better life!
The better you look, the better you feel, the better you feel about
yourself.
So Come in, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 9:30,
Right after the Donut shop,
and be ready to sweat and have some fun!
So join me, Bill, Mister Fitness,
In the Café Fitness Zone.

11am Farkle in the Winners Circle Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

 Join your host Scooby in the Winner’s Circle for a Game of Farkle.You must have RS Games downloaded to play!

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

 Share your lunch hour with us. Come by and chat while we serve you a freshly made croissant sandwich, French pastry or delicious dessert. Fresh on the Menu today. Sent in by Peaches.

Scalloped Apples
10 cups sliced peeled tart apples, about 8 medium
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cubed
Place apples in a 2 1/2 quart microwave safe bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Dot with cubed butter. Cover and microwave on high for 15 minutes, or until apples are tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Vegetables
Bush's Broccoli Salad
3 cups broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Combine all ingredients. Best when used with the following dressing.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

2:30pm Texas Hold Em in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join your host Terry for his Tournament game. If you have a poker face you will be great at this game. Terry will open up the room at 2pm to answer any questions and to give instructions on how to play! Quinton’s Playroom will need to be downloaded to participate.

4 pm Senior moments sponsored by our vets.  Join Willie, Alan, Julie or Patti for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room. I think! Join our special host of the day Alan for afternoon tea and chat.

8pm Musical NewsIn Games R Us:

Join Rick Rock for a brand new game, Musical Bingo! It’s about the news, trivia and music. Come by and let Rick put you on a team!

9:15pm Alicia’s Pot Luck Night:

Come by and see what Alicia has up her sleeve

10:30pm Pot Luck in the Winners Circle. Sponsored by Chris and Cheryl Spencer:

Join Neva for an impromptu game of her choice. After all it’s Pot Luck night on Blind Café.

11 pm Café after Dark opens Sponsored by Terra Lee:

  . Anyone for a late night chat? Let’s see who can stay awake the longest. If we survive until 7am we can always go down to the Donut and coffee shop and join the breakfast club where they meet every day.

*****What’s for Dessert in our Members Corner?

**Tiffany’s Interesting Food Facts for the Day:
January 29
 National Corn Chip Day

***Thought of the day:

Thanks Sharon for today’s thought of the day:

60 is not old. If you're a tree.

*** Today’s Joke of the day:

Here are some real groaners from my friend Mike. I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.

Did you hear about the cross eyed teacher who lost her job because she couldn't control her pupils?

When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Of course! Boom! Hahahahahaha

Don’t forget Friday night with Sham the man in our Café Comedy lounge. Shammy says see you at midnight for a barrel of laughs

****Why the Beatles split up:

Why the Beatles Split Up
Why did the Beatles break up?
Well folks, most failed marriages didn't end because "I found Bill wearing
my dress," or "Sam lost the kids' college fund in a poker game," or "I
discovered Amy in bed with my best friend Rick." Some do, I'm sure, but most
breakups, on any level, occur over a period of time, whether short or
protracted.
Let me clarify right now: only four people could ever explain exactly why
the Beatles broke up as a band, each probably had his own reasons, and two
of these guys have passed on. As for the other two, I'm sure they have said
all they ever will about their band splitting up.
I am just a major Beatles fan who has read many, many Beatles books,
articles, interviews, watched Beatles film clips, and happily lived the past
almost 40 years as an extremely devout student of the Beatles and their
history.  O.K., that said, I'll answer your question by starting with a
quick look at the beginning of the Beatles and then I'll outline the major
known events that led up to the Beatles breakup.
By mid-1957, John Lennon had started a band called the Quarrymen and on July
6, 1957, he met Paul McCartney at a church fete.  Paul officially joined the
band on October 18, 1957.  George Harrison joined the band a few months
later on February 6, 1958.  And four and a half years later, the Beatles
unceremoniously dropped their luckless drummer, Pete Best, with Ringo Starr
brought aboard as the band's new drummer.  Ringo took over for Pete on
August 19, 1962.
From mid-1962 until the end of 1964, the Beatles released records, albums,
played scores of gigs, came to America, toured various countries, made a
very successful movie, made several great TV appearances and became the most
popular, successful, influential band in rock music history.
But by early 1965, the rot started setting in- very slowly, almost
imperceptibly.  On George's 22nd birthday, February 25, 1965, the boys were
in the Bahamas filming their second film Help! When an Indian cycled up to
the Beatles out of nowhere and pressed a book on his religion on each of
them.  Three of the boys dismissed the book instantaneously, but for George,
this was a clue directing him to "the way".  Later on during the Help!
filming, the boys were in an Indian restaurant and George cast his eyes on a
new instrument he saw in the scene: a sitar.  George's mind was astir, and
slowly but surely, the wheels of the Fab Four's split were turning.
After returning to London following the Help! shoot, John and George, along
with their wives, were having a quiet, casual dinner with George's dentist,
when, for dessert, he slipped some L.S.D. into their cups of coffee.  This
first totally unexpected L.S.D. trip was to have huge repercussions on both
George and John.
Over the next two to three years, John became a full-fledged acid head,
taking "thousands of trips" (probably an exaggeration on his part), but the
figure is indicative of his acid-taking frequency during these years.  For
George, taking acid was "the first time I wasn't conscious of ego".
By 1966, George didn't even want to tour as a Beatle anymore, but was
convinced to go along, as the dates had already been set.  Although George
was the first Beatle to sow the seeds of dissatisfaction, by the end of
August 1966, the Beatles had played their last official concert together.
Each was to go his own way and the merry days of all four wearing the same
suit and having the same "Beatle haircut" were over forever.  John left to
film a movie called How I Won the War.  While shooting on location in Spain,
John got his Beatle locks shorn down, wrote his classic song "Strawberry
Fields Forever" and later admitted that even then, "I was looking for a way
to get out."
Arriving back in London after his film shoot, John wandered into the Indica
Art Gallery and looked over the bizarre works of art in an exhibition being
given by a petite, very strange Japanese avant-garde artist named Yoko Ono.
John was looking for his "calling" in life, and he may not have realized it
at the time, but he had found it that night.
George's later obsession with Indian culture and religion would soon be
matched in ferocity by John's overwhelming passion for his soon-to-be
beloved Yoko.  Meanwhile, George left London to study sitar with his
soon-to-be mentor Ravi Shankar, a virtuoso sitar master.  George, like John,
got his world-famous Beatle hair cropped and he also grew the first official
Beatle mustache.  George's strong interest in Eastern culture and religion
grew and he fell madly in love with everything Indian; he was hooked for
life.
In June of 1967, the boys released their landmark album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band, an album based on Paul's idea of the Fab Four becoming a
fictional band instead of "The Four Mop Tops".  George was estranged from
the others during a good part of the album's recording and only contributed
one song, his mediocre "Within You, Without You".  John, although he
contributed some great songs to Sgt. Pepper was to say he was "going through
murder" during this period.
At George's suggestion, the boys went to India to study with the Maharishi
Mahesh Yogi in August of 1967. But just as they'd arrived, shocking news
came to them in a phone call: their manager Brian Epstein had died of a drug
overdose.  According to John: "I knew we were finished" as soon as he heard
the news.
After Brian's death, Paul tried to take over as the band's ersatz-leader and
dreamed up the TV film Magical Mystery Tour as well as rallying the others
into recording new albums.  John and George would both grumble, each in
their own way, but the projects got done mainly because of Paul's force and
insistence.
By 1968, when the four gathered together to start recording their new album
The Beatles (later better known as The White Album) Paul, George and Ringo
were completely surprised to find Yoko Ono sitting beside John in the
recording studio throughout the many weeks of recording.  There had always
been an "unwritten" rule between the Beatles, that none of their wives or
girlfriends were to be allowed into the recording studios while the boys
were working.
John was very "in your face" about his love for Yoko and almost flaunted his
breach of agreement with the others.  Much dissent and a clear lack of
harmony soon ensued and oddly enough, the most easy-going Beatle, Ringo, was
the first to actually "quit" the group.  On August 22, 1968, Ringo left for
a "holiday in Sardinia", leaving the remaining Beatles drummer-less. (Paul
was to fill in for Ringo on a few White Album songs during Ringo's absence.)
Ringo was convinced to return in a few days and the catastrophe of a Beatle
break-up was avoided.  But John was still "The Chief Beatle" and the others
barely tolerated Yoko's intrusive presence everywhere and anywhere.
By January of 1969, the band gathered together to film their documentary
film Let It Be.  But tired of Paul's bossiness, intrusiveness, lack of
getting to record his own songs and actually sick of the whole Beatle trip,
George became the second Beatle to leave the band.  (It was later revealed
that by 1969, John and Yoko had become heroin addicts and this too
contributed greatly to the band's accelerating disharmony and disaffection.)
Right in the middle of shooting, on January 10, 1969, after an on-camera
tiff with Paul, George curtly told the others he was leaving and said
goodbye, adding "See you 'round the clubs."  John unsympathetically said
that was fine and recommended getting Eric Clapton in to replace the now
missing George.  However, after intense negotiations, George was convinced
to return on January 15th and Let It Be was completed.
Paul was to marry American photographer Linda Eastman on March 12, 1969.
(John quickly followed suit and eagerly hitched up with Yoko eight days
later.)  Next, Paul recommended his father-in-law and brother-in-law, Lee
and John Eastman, take over management of the group.  John thought this was
too close to home and pointed out that Paul would be the favored Beatle by
his new relatives, giving he and the others short shrift.  Instead, John,
George and Ringo signed on with Allen Klein as their manager. (Klein had
been hungry to take over the Fab Four since Brian's passing.)
The boys recorded their final album Abbey Road during mid-1969 and it was
released in September of that year.  George, at this point deeply entrenched
in his Indian journey, composed what most consider to be his two best-ever
Beatle songs, "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something".  George had always
resented taking a back seat to the brilliant songwriting team of Lennon and
McCartney and the success of these two songs undoubtedly gave George more
confidence that he could go it alone and have success as an individual
songwriter and musician.
But on September 13, 1969, probably the final straw that broke the camel's
proverbial back occurred.  It happened when John and Yoko joined fellow
musicians Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard and several others for
the "Toronto Rock and Roll Revival Festival" concert in Canada.  John played
and had the time of his life, feeling liberated from the constraints of
being a Beatle and finally gaining confidence that he could, indeed, go out
on his own.
On September 20th of '69, John, Paul, and Ringo (George was not present) and
several friends and business associates gathered together in a meeting to
discuss the band's future.  Paul, as usual, spoke at length, and put forth
his idea of the boys "going on the road" as perhaps a new entity, taking a
new identity, and call themselves something like "Ricky and the Red Streaks"
and "get back to their roots" by playing small out-of-the-way venues.  "I
think yer daft!", countered John angrily.  "I want a divorce."
John, Yoko and manager Klein then left the shocked onlookers to have a meal
at a local restaurant.  Paul and the Eastmans later convinced John to keep
his decision to leave quiet and he did.  Finally, on April 10, 1970, Paul
made the official announcement that the Beatles were finished as a unit and
that he was leaving the band.
John was reportedly furious at Paul getting credit this way when he knew it
was "his band" and he had started it and he should be the one ending it.
But although John had, in reality, ended the Beatles as a working unit,
Paul's public announcement really made it official.
The above is, in a slightly large nutshell, a synopses of some of the events
that led to the Beatles breaking up.  I am sure I have omitted some factors,
some incidents, other "reasons" for the Beatles breakup. But just as I said
in the introduction to this article, only four people could ever truly
explain why and how the most popular and beloved band in rock music's long
history had to split up.  And each of them probably had their own specific
reasons, leaving countless writers and amateur psychologists to wonder about
the roots of said split.
But I guess I could neatly sum up the Beatles break-up by quoting one of my
comedy heroes, Mr. Jerry Lewis.  Following Lewis' break-up with his partner
Dean Martin after ten hugely successful years together, someone told Jerry
he loved him and Dean together and asked how the two could possibly have
split up.  Jerry answered with parable: "A man said 'those are beautiful
shoes you're wearing' to another man and the second man answered back, 'yes,
but I'm the only one who knows how much they hurt'."
- - -

*****Fran Wins the 2013 Blind Café  Zilch Championship:

Subject: [BlindCafeChat] 2013 Blind Café Zilch Champion is Fran from Hollywood Florida!

2013 Blind Café Zilch Champion is Fran from Hollywood Florida!
The Zilch Warriors who won the Monthly Championship Tournaments during 2013 all met Saturday Morning to decide who was the best, of the best on Blind Café in a Great Game of Zilch!
Listed in alphabetical order they were:
Alan, Carrie, Fran, Gerald, Kathy Rose, Matt, Neva, Terry
That Hostest with the Mostest, and her dice rolling computer “Sparky” hosted this First Annual Yearly Championship Tournament, and what a an incredible event it was!
Gerald from Sacramento, California was first to reach a game point of 4250, and since all the other players were so far behind, well, it looked to this writer like he had won this game!
But
Fran from Hollywood, Florida had an incredible come back from behind round and scored 1800 points to pass him with a score of 4300, a new game point, and won this Championships of Championship game!
Congratulations Fran, Fantastic win!
You have won the Title of Blind Café Zilch 2013 Championship, the crown, and a $25 gift card!
Well Done!
Extremely Well Done!

****It’s Tax Season:

Dear Friends,
Passing this along!
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida
- - -
Hello and Happy Tax Season!
Another tax season is at our door! below is a web article that provides
information about the online tax products and services available through the
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for taxpayers with disabilities. Can you send
this information to your members to let them know what accessible tax
information is available?

We are proud to announce that last year with your help, more than one
million accessible forms and publications were downloaded, in large part
because organizations such as yours actively promoted them. We still need
your assistance connecting our resources with the people who can use these
services.

Please tell your members they can go to the IRS Accessibility
http://www.irs.gov/accessibility/index.html?portlet=113

page to download forms, publications and other products they might need and
to check out tax-related videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el-xueE-ZDY&list=PL634968897EAEA4FD&index=3

in English and American Sign Language. We highly recommend checking our
website often as we are continually growing the number of products available
for persons with disabilities.
Thank you for helping us spread the word about all of the online products
and services the IRS provides people with disabilities.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any
additional information.

Sincerely,
Maureen Goulder
Chief, Alternative Media Center
maureen....@irs.gov<mailto:maureen....@irs.gov>
804-916-8850 (office)

*Stripe*Stripe*Stripe Vetran’s Corner*Stripe*Stripe

****Sent in by Geoff Krizan:

I got this from the widow of an Army Colonel

 Another Military Dismissal

4_282013_dooley8201_mugshot_four_by_three_s266x200

Lt. Col Matthew Dooley, a West Point graduate and highly  decorated combat veteran,  was an instructor at the Joint Forces Staff College at the National Defense University. He had 19 years of service and experience, and was considered one of the most highly qualified military instructors on Radical Islam & Terrorism. He taught military students about the situations they would encounter, how to react, about Islamic culture, traditions, and explained the mindset of Islamic extremists. Passing down first hand knowledge and experience, and teaching courses that were suggested (and approved) by the Joint Forces Staff College.

The course, "Perspectives on Islam and Islamic Radicalism",which was suggested and approved by the Joint Forces Staff College, caught the attention of several Islamic Groups, and they wanted to make an example of him.  They collectively wrote a letter expressing their outrage, and the Pro-Islamic Obama Administration was all too happy to assist.

The letter was passed to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Martin Dempsey. Dempsey publicly degraded and reprimanded Dooley, and Dooley received a negative Officer Evaluation Report almost immediately (which he had aced for the past 5 years). He was relieved of teaching duties, and his career has been red-flagged “He had a brilliant career ahead of him. Now, he has been flagged.”

Richard Thompson, Thomas More Law Center "All US military Combatant Commands, Services, the National Guard Bureau, and Joint Chiefs are under Dempsey's Muslim Brotherhood-dictated order to ensure that henceforth, no US military course will ever again teach truth about Islam that the jihadist enemy finds offensive, or just too informative."

Former CIA agent Claire M. Lopez (about Lt. Col. Dooley)..." The Obama Administration has demonstrated lightning speed to dismiss military brass that does not conform to it's agenda, and not surprisingly, nobody is speaking up for Lt. Col. Dooley.

Col. Dooley has now been added to the 9 generalsthe Obama administration has summarily dismissed for no other reason than they are great American military citizens."

IT'S A SAD DAY FOR THIS COUNTRY WHEN GOOD LOYAL MEN LIKE THIS GET THROWN UNDER THE BUS BECAUSE NOBODY HAS THE COURAGE TO STAND UP!

Share this if you would.  Let’s bring some attention to this.

************Today in history by Alan Dicey:

Today in History, Today is Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Today's Highlights in History:
On this date January 28, 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds
after liftoff from Cape Canaveral, killing all seven crew members.
On this date in 1547 England's King Henry VIII died.
On this date in 1777: British plan to isolate New England
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/british-plan-to-isolate-new-england
On this date in 1813 the novel "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen was
first published anonymously in London.
On this date in 1828: Confederate General Thomas Hindman is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-hindman-born
On this date in 1853 Cuban revolutionary Jose Marti was born in Havana.
On this date in 1855: First train crosses the Panamanian isthmus
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-train-crosses-the-panamanian-isthmus
On this date in 1871 France surrendered in the Franco-Prussian War.
On this date in 1909 The United States ended direct control over Cuba.
On this date in 1915 The Coast Guard was created by an act of Congress.
Also, on this date in 1915: during World War 1, before the United States
entered it, Germans sink American merchant ship
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/germans-sink-american-merchant-ship
On this date in 1916 Louis D. Brandeis was appointed by President Woodrow
Wilson to the Supreme Court, becoming its first Jewish member.
On this date in 1917 : U.S. ends search for Pancho Villa
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/us-ends-search-for-pancho-villa
On this date in 1945 During World War II, Allied supplies began reaching
China over the newly reopened Burma Road.
On this date in 1959 Vince Lombardi was named head coach of the NFL's Green
Bay Packers.
On this date in 1964: Soviets shoot down U.S. jet
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soviets-shoot-down-us-jet
On this date in 1973 A cease-fire officially went into effect in the Vietnam
War.
On this date in 1980 Six U.S. diplomats who had avoided being taken hostage
at their embassy in Tehran flew out of Iran under false identities.
On this date in 1985 : American recording artists gather to record "We Are
the World"
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/american-recording-artists-gather-to-record-quotwe-are-the-worldquot
On this date in 1997 : Afrikaner police admit to killing Stephen Biko
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/afrikaner-police-admit-to-killing-stephen-biko
On this date in 1999 Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan, honoring a personal
request for mercy from Pope John Paul II, spared a triple murderer from
execution.
On this date in 2003 President George W. Bush said in his State of the Union
address that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had sought uranium from Africa.
(The claim was later disputed by former ambassador Joseph Wilson, who had
been asked by the CIA to investigate.)
On this date in 2006: Clint Eastwood honored by Directors Guild of America
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/clint-eastwood-honored-by-directors-guild-of-america
On this date in 2009 in a swift victory for President Barack Obama, the
Democratic-controlled House approved an $819 billion stimulus bill.
Also, on this date in 2009 : "Shuttin' Detroit Down" debuts
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/shuttin-detroit-down-debuts
On this date in 2010 Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke won Senate
confirmation for a second term.
Today's Birthdays:
Actor Alan Alda ("MASH") turns 78 years old today.
Jeanne Shaheen U.S. senator, D-N.turned 67
Barbi Benton Actress 64
Nicolas Sarkozy Former president of France 59
Nick Price Golfer 57
Sarah McLachlan Rock singer 46
Kathryn Morris Actress ("Cold Case") 45
Joey Fatone Jr. Singer ('N Sync) 37
Rick Ross Rapper 37
Rosamund Pike Actress 35
Nick Carter Singer (Backstreet Boys) 34
Actor Elijah Wood ("Lord of the Rings" movies) turns 33
Thought For Today:
"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to
be bought and sold are legislators."
-          P. J. O'Rourke  (1947- ) US
humorist, journalist, &a! mp; political commentator
- - - Gladys

“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net
clip_image002.gif