It's a Rick Rock's Millionaire Monday on Blind Cafe

Julie Parker

Feb 24, 2014, 7:56:12 AM2/24/14
to daily menu

MENU OF EVENTS

Good Morning Members, It’s a Rick Rock’s who wants to be a Millionaire Monday on Blind Café!!

*Thanks to all our hosts and hostesses who work very hard to entertain our members.

“We hope you enjoy your day on Blind Café”

Date: February 24th, 2014:

****On the Menu every day is for our new members as it has instructions on how to subscribe to our chat list and Menu. Also it gives a description of what can be found in a room by hitting F6. All other members can skip this section and go down to our Senior Menu to find a quick guide to today’s events. Our next section The Classic Menu gives a description of how our games are played. Finally our Dessert Menu is at the bottom of the page and is filled with articles from our members.

*BLIND CAFÉ’S Menu Favorites on the Menu every day:

*Check out our recipe on today’s menu in the Bistro, if you have a recipe that you would like to submit, please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*Located at the bottom of the menu you will find our Members Corner. Here we post Tid bits about Medical updates, Financial News, Today in history, zilch replays, Jokes, and other interesting articles sent in by our members.

. If you would like to submit an article please send it to ju...@blindcafe.net

*To chat to your friends on Blind Café go to blindcafech...@yahoogroups.com

*By pressing F6 in The Winners Circle you can Download RS Games, Quinton’s Playroom and Jim Kitchen’s Golf. You will need these for our Tournaments. Also you can press F6 in the Dragon’s Strike Zone and download our bowling game and join our league.

*Mystery Theatre.  Press F6 and listen to one of our very own produced mini who dun nit plays, starring our very own Blind Café Members.

*Press F6 in our Faith Chapel and listen to one of Pastor Jonathon or Pastor Volly Nelson’s Sermon’s.

*Press F6 in The Pirate’s Cove and sail away to the Islands with Jimmy Buffet.

*Press F6 in Laughing Leprechaun and enjoy the luck of the Irish!

*Gadget’s Tech Room. Hit F6 and hear instructions on how to use I Phone Ap’s.

*I didn’t know that learning Centre. Hit F6 and listen to our learning tutorials.

*Café Premier Events Room. Sit back, hit F6 and get ready to listen to our full length, hilariously funny 2012 Christmas play that our Blind Café members starred in. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”

* Blind Café’s 2013, Murder in the Café Manor Halloween Horror Production by Julie P and Patti Woodworth

**Our 2013 Café Expresso Christmas Play, starring Willie and Jeannie Wilson as Santa and Mrs. Claus. See how our members turned into rogue toys and elves. Laugh along as poor Sweet P gets hit with the white stuff that she hates so much and last but not least, see how Lorraine runs Grandma over with the reindeer. For some reason Confetti and crew seem to have a hard time with getting Willie off the ground. Written and Produced by Julie Parker and Patti Woodworth, it’s definitely a must to listen to.

*T.V Land. Kick back, put your feet up, relax on one of our comfortable couches,   hit f 6 and watch one of our old time classic T.V shows such as Alf

All in the family

Andy Griffith

Bonanza

Brady Bunch

Dragnet

Gilligan’s island

Green acres

Highway to Heaven

Jefferson’s

Leave it to beaver

Little house on the prairie

Mash

Mork and Mindy

Mr. Ed

The Munsters

The Walton’s

W.K.R.P in Cincinnati

  We have more shows coming soon.

*The Café Comedy Lounge. Hit F6 and get ready for some great comedians like Jeff Dunham, Roy D Mercer, Bill Cosby, James Gregory, Rodney Carrington’s songs, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Cosby, Jeanne Roberson, He Haw episodes and our very own John Harris and Willie in the Copper Clapper! Enjoy a great laugh whenever you want to get happy!

*Movies, Movies, Movies:

We have over 600 described movies for your enjoyment. Come in to Willie’s cinema and watch the movie of your choice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press F6 from the main room window, and choose the movie you would like to play. Happy movie watching, and don’t forget to bring the popcorn.

*BLIND CAFÉ Senior Menu:

*7 am Join Patti W in the Donut and Coffee Shop for our breakfast club get together. Start your week off in a state of confusion as that is where she puts me every week!

9:30am join your host Bill in the Café Fitness Zone for a good morning wake up work out!

*2pm In the I didn’t know that learning center,  Join your host Alan for Tips and Tricks for making living with blindness easier.

4 pm Join Matt for afternoon tea and chat in Senior moments.

8 pm join your host Rick Rock, in Games R Us; for a challenging game of who wants to be a Millionaire? Rick has created a real life TV version of this game including Ask the Audience! Do the 50/50 Or Call a Friend. We will post our winners in the menu each week. Rick is a great host, so please come out and support him tonight.

9pm Dragons Strike Zone. Last chance to join our bowling league for this year. Our league starts next Monday night.

Midnight: Join Matt in Café after Dark for late night chat.

**BLIND CAFÉ’S New Events Menu:

New Event:

Blind Café Bake Sale!

When: Saturday April 5th, 2014

Time: 2pm

Where: Café Premier Events Room.

Donations by:

Patti W.

1 batch of Cinnamon rolls baked Pitti Pat Style.

1 batch of apple crisp.

Kathy Rose.

1 batch of sugar Cookies

1 batch of Peanut butter cookies

Alicia.

1 batch of oatmeal cookies

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Julie P.

1 batch of English Sausage Rolls

1 batch of Scotch Eggs

1 batch of Ricks famous balls

Karen.

1 batch of Raspberry and cream filled buns

Lorraine.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge your choice if you want Lorraine to add nuts.

1 batch of Lorraine’s famous Fudge.

Neva.

1 batch of chocolate chip cookies

Cheryl aka Mrs. TG Dragon

1 batch- approximately 40 plus buckeye's

 1 batch- approximately 40 Buckeye’s

 They are creamy peanut butter fudge type balls dipped in chocolate,   to resemble a buckeye. They are about as big as round as a half dollar or almost as big as a golf ball.

Tiffany will be donating several arts and crafts items and don’t forget to buy some raffle tickets for Lorraine’s homemade quilt. $5 for one and 5 for $20. Imagine a brand new Queen size or your choice of size for $20 you can’t beat that guys!

If you wish to donate something to our bake sale, please send an email to ju...@blindcafe.net with details.

New Event:

Our Bowling League will start Monday night at 9pm. If you wish to sign up, please contact Terry or Lorraine and let them know your team name. You will have to purchase the Ten Pin Bowling Alley Game at the address below.

If you click on the link for windows it will take you to a page for audio games.

www.dracoent.com

There is a $150 Gift Card to be split between the winners. For more details see Terry or Lorraine.

Team Names:

Dragon Strike Force-Terry and Cheryl

Cool Breezers-Julie and Geoff

Matt and Shawn Country All Stars

Choke a holics-Terra and Kathy

Witches and Stitches-Lorraine and Tiffany

California Crew-Gerald and Kim

Tornado Twosome-Patti and Soo kia

Lucky Strike on Fire!-Kevin and Cynna

Alicia and Connie

Paul and Latice

Scooby needs a partner

Here is Monday and Tuesday’s Bowling Line up:

Monday February 24th, 2014 time: 9 p m eastern

1. cafe's gutter ball alley

Teams:

Tornado twosome Patti and soo keea

 Lucky strike on fire

Kevin and Cyyna

Patti: spotter

2. Cafe king pin alley:

Dragons strike force terry and Cheryl

Cool breezes  jeff and Julie

Terry: spotter

3. Dragons strike zone:

Country all stars

Matt and Shawn

Connie and Alicia

Shawn: spotter

4. Loraine’s lucky lanes:

Witches and stitches

Loraine and tiffany

Paul and lattice

Loraine: spotter

Tuesday February 25th, 2014 time:  11 a m eastern

Dragon’s strike zone

Carter’s California crew Gerald and Kim

chocoholic's terra lee and Kathy rose

Spotter: terry

Spotters need to make sure everyone is: method: aiming and swinging

Skill level: level two

Spotters will need to report team scores to terry or Loraine.

****BLIND CAFE’S Classic Menu includes times and explanations of games, please read below.  All times are Eastern Standard:

7 am The Donut and Coffee Shop opens:

 Join our breakfast club and find out about world events and what the weather is like in each others neck of the woods. If you are an early riser you will find one of us lingering around our freshly brewed coffee. If you like to dunk your donut, you had better grab one quick before Willie eats them all!

Join your host Patti W for morning Chat and confusion today!

9:30am Café Fitness Zone:

Hi! This is Bill!
Also known as Mister Fitness Here on the Blind Café!
Join me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the Café Fitness
Zone!
For your morning exercise                          !
We're going to be working out!
We're going to be talking about nutrition!
We're going to be talking about how to put together an exercise program and
live a healthier better life!
The better you look, the better you feel, the better you feel about
yourself.
So Come in, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 9:30,
Right after the Donut shop,
And be ready to sweat and have some fun!
So join me, Bill, Mister Fitness,
In the Café Fitness Zone.

11:30 am the Bistro Opens Sponsored by Chris Spencer:

  Join us for lunchtime chat and sandwiches, croissants or try one of our French pastries for dessert.  Fresh on the Menu today: sent in by Shawn.

Broccoli Casserole
2 (10 ounce) packages broccoli spears, frozen
1 (2 ounce) package slivered almonds
1 stick garlic cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
Buttered bread crumbs
Cook broccoli in salted water until barely tender. Drain and place in baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Slice garlic cheese and combine in saucepan with soup. Heat through until cheese is melted and pour over broccoli. Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly. Before serving, top with bread crumbs. Return to oven until crumbs are brown.
Main Dishes, Casseroles And Meats
_____
The 4 Ingredient Cookbook:
Main Dishes
Poor Man Steak
3 pounds ground beef
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 cup water
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine ground beef, cracker crumbs and water. Season to taste. Form into serving size patties and brown in skillet. Remove browned beef and put in oven roaster. Spread soup on top and bake, covered, for 1 hour.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.

2 pm Tips and Tricks In the I didn’t know that learning Center:

Join your host Alan and learn tips and tricks on making living a blind life a little easier.

__

4 pm Senior moments.  Sponsored by our Vets:  Join Willie, Alan, Patti or Julie for happy hour. Of course that’s if you can remember where the room is! If you have to hold the key down for an extra second because you can’t remember what you were going to say, don’t worry, you’re in the right room.

 I think! Join our special host Matt for afternoon tea and chat.

8pm who wants to be a Millionaire in Games R Us. Sponsored by JB Heart:

Join your host Rick for this challenging game. Rick will include ask the audience, 50/50 and phone a friend. Rick is a great host so come on out and support his newest game. The highest winners will be posted in the menu.

9pm Dragons Strike Zone Café Bowling League:

Join Terry and Lorraine for our Monday night bowling League. All bowlers need to report to the pre determined lanes and start bowling. Good Luck everyone!

Midnight:   Café after Dark opens Sponsored by Terra Lee:

Join your host Matt. Anyone for late night chat?  You are welcome to stay until the wee hours of the morning and then move down to the Donut and Coffee shop where our breakfast club meets everyday.

*****BLIND CAFÉ’S what’s for Dessert Members Corner Menu:

*Tiffany’s Interesting food facts for the day.

February 24
 National Tortilla Chip Day

**Thought of the day.

Thanks Sharon for the thought of the day.

Life doesn’t get better by waiting for it to happen. You need to make it happen!

****Today’s Joke of the day: Here is another one of Mike’s funnies! Thanks Mike! ------------------------------------------------------------
Smith climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God. Looking up, he asks the Lord. "God, what does a million years mean to you?"

The Lord replies, "A minute."

Smith asks, "And what does a million dollars mean to you?"

The Lord replies, "A penny."

Smith asks, "Can I have a penny?"

The Lord replies, "In a minute."

Of course! Boom Boom! Hahahahahahahahaha Don’t forget to come out to Sham the man’s Comedy Lounge this Friday at midnight! Shamster is always a barrel of laughs.

****Remarkable man sent in by Alan:

Remarkable Blind Man Raises Money To Rebuild Pianos, Reminds Us Anything Is
Possible
The Huffington Post | by Karin Swanson Updated:  02/12/2014
Blind Vancouver man rebuilds pianos
"I'm totally blind," says John Furniss, "But if you put your mind to
something, you can do what you want to do."
John Furniss is an exceptional man. The 32-year-old from Vancouver,
Washington, is one of the few piano technicians who rebuild pianos, in
addition to tuning them.
What makes this even more remarkable is that Furniss is entirely blind.
At age 16, Furniss survived a suicide attempt, but was left sightless,
according to KGW. He turned his life around -- discovering a passion for
rebuilding pianos in the process.

Furniss moved to Vancouver to attend the Emil Fries School of Piano
Technology for the Blind after he was unable to find employment in the
woodworking industry in Utah, according to the Vancouver Vector.

"People love their pianos. When they sit down and play and when it sounds so
beautiful and nice, that is like gold to me," he told KGW.
While enrolled in the School of Piano Technology for the Blind, Furniss
found a mentor in Rick Patten, a piano rebuilder who designs tools
specifically for blind technicians.
Patten told KGW that Furniss has proven critics wrong by showing that a
blind man can be a successful technician.

"I wouldn't be where I am without Rick," Furniss told KGW.
As Patten prepares to retire, Furniss hopes to fill his mentor's shoes. With
his partner Anni Becker, Furniss is trying to raise $15,000 through an
Indiegogo campaign in order to purchase Patten's piano repair shop from him.
According to the Indiegogo video, Furniss has successfully repaired four
major pianos under Patten's guidance over the last year.

Furniss belongs to an elite group of blind technicians, and despite the
challenges of his profession, he remains optimistic.

"I'm totally blind," Furniss said to KGW. "But if you put your mind to
something, you can do what you want to do."
- - -

*****The founder of Fed Ex Saves the company by gambleing their last $5000 sent in by Alan:

The Founder of FedEx Once Saved the Company by Taking Its Last $5,000 and
Gambling
Written on June 2, 2011
The Founder of FedEx Once Saved the Company by Taking Its Last $5,000 and
Turning It Into $32,000 by Gambling in Vegas
Today I Found Out the founder of FedEx once saved the company by taking its
last $5,000 and turning it into $32,000 by gambling in Las Vegas.
The man is Frederick W. Smith who is the founder and current CEO of FedEx.
In 1971, Smith took his personal fortune of around $4 million and raised
around an additional $90 million to found a delivery company structured such
that it could potentially deliver packages overnight to anywhere in the
world.  This is something that, at that time, had never been done.
Smith had first outlined how such a company would operate in a 1962 paper he
wrote while at Yale University.  The paper was written for an economics
class and was specifically on an "overnight delivery service in a computer
information age".

Unfortunately, three years after the company began, thanks largely to
rapidly rising fuel costs, Federal Express was on the verge of bankruptcy,
losing over $1 million a month, with no one willing to give them any
additional loans nor any investors interested in contributing capital.

At its low point, all the company had was $5000 to its name, which wasn't
enough to continue operating as their planes needed fuel and that wouldn't
cover it. Smith made a final pitch to General Dynamics for more funding, but
was refused, leaving FedEx more or less dead on the ground when they'd not
be able to fuel their planes the following Monday.

Not to be dissuaded, instead of taking a flight home to Memphis, Smith took
the $5000 and flew to Las Vegas and played Black Jack that weekend with the
remaining company funds.  By Monday, to the shock of other higher ups in the
company, FedEx had $32,000 in its bank account, which was just enough to
cover the fuel for their planes and to continue operating a few days more.
When asked what he'd been thinking taking a chance like that with company
funds, he stated: "What difference does it make? Without the funds for the
fuel companies, we couldn't have flown anyway."

It turns out, a few days more was all he needed.  Shortly thereafter, Smith
successfully managed to raise $11 million to keep the company afloat and, by
1976, Federal Express made its first profit of $3.6 million.  Four years
after that, the company's profits were up to nearly $40 million with gross
revenue near half a billion dollars.  Today, FedEx is estimated to be worth
in the vicinity of $25 - $35 billion, with Smith himself currently worth
around $2 billion.
Bonus Facts:
On April 7, 1994 a FedEx flight was nearly hijacked by a former employee,
Auburn Calloway, that had been recently fired.  Calloway had planned to
crash the plane into FedEx's headquarters.  However, the crew on board was
able to stop Calloway, though, they sustained severe injuries in the
process.
Surprisingly, to date, FedEx has only lost a handful of planes and only once
has one of their planes crashing resulted in the death of the pilots.  That
flight was on March 23, 2009 when one of their flights crashed while landing
in extremely windy conditions with the plane bouncing a couple times on the
runway before the wing clipped the ground with the result of the plane
flipping over and catching on fire, killing the pilots.
While in college, Frederick Smith was a member of the same fraternity as
George W. Bush and was also a member of the Skull and Bones society. Bush
and he became friends in college, which subsequently lead to Bush offering
him the position of Defense Secretary in his administration, which Smith
ultimately turned down twice, once due to his own health, and the second
time, during Bush's second administration, due to Smith's terminally ill
daughter.
Smith was also good friends with John Kerry.  The two shared a love of
flying and would often fly together.  One can only imagine the awkwardness
when Smith endorsed Bush over Kerry in the 2004 presidential elections.
Smith also served two tours of duty in Vietnam in the Marines, earning a
Silver Star, a Bronze Star, and two Purple Hearts, eventually being
discharged with the rank of Captain in 1969.
Fred Smith's father died when he was just 4 years old.  His father made his
fortune by founding the Smith Motor Coach Company in 1925, which was
purchased by Greyhound in 1931.  At this point, he founded the Toddle House
chain of restaurants.
The Toddle House restaurants were somewhat akin to Denny's today in that
Toddle House was a national diner style restaurant chain that specialized in
breakfast.  What made this chain unique, though, was that each restaurant
contained no traditional tables, but just had one long row of stools at a
bar table.  Not surprisingly, most of the orders were take-out.  Another
unique aspect of this chain was that, in its early days, customers paid on
the honor system, depositing the money for the meal in a box on their way
out.
You'll often hear Smith received a C for the paper he wrote in 1962
outlining how an overnight delivery company could operate, but this isn't
necessarily accurate.  In fact, nobody knows what grade he got on the paper,
not even Smith.  The rumor was started by Smith himself who couldn't
remember what he got on the paper so he told a reporter "I don't know what
grade, probably made my usual C".
The $95 million or so that was initially raised to found Federal Express is
equivalent to around half a billion dollars today.
Federal Express was later renamed FedEx in 1994.  The company's "express"
services, which used their fleet of planes, by 2000 became "FedEx Express".
Interestingly, since 2001, FedEx Express has handled all Express Mail and
Priority Mail for the U.S. Postal Service.  Their current contract for that
ends in 2013.
FedEx Express is currently the world's second largest airline in terms of
number of planes, with 697 planes to date with an additional 49 planes
ordered.
Certain FedEx Express planes were the first commercial planes to be
outfitted with anti-missile systems when they partnered with Homeland
Security and Northrop Grumman to test such a system, with FedEx supplying
two of their planes for the testing.     In 2006, three years after the
system was tested on two of their planes, FedEx began deploying the system
on some of their in-use planes for continued testing (the system is
currently on nine of their planes).  It is expected that if the continued
testing goes well, the system will begin being deployed on all commercial
air craft within the United States.
FedEx is currently the 21st largest political campaign contributor in the
United States, officially donating $21 million since 1990 to various
campaigns, with slightly more going to Republicans than Democrats (55% /
45%).   On top of that, they spend millions annually lobbying the government
towards various ends.  In 2010, that number reached just shy of $5 million
in the first quarter alone.
- - -

*****New Chemical restores vision in mice sent in by Alan:

Newly developed chemical restores light perception to blind mice
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140219124724.htm
Source: Cell Press
Credit: National Eye Institute, NIH
eyes -- causes blinding diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa and
age-related macular degeneration. While there are currently no available
treatments to reverse this degeneration, a newly developed compound allows
other cells in the eye to act like photoreceptors. The compound may be a
potential drug candidate for treating patients suffering from degenerative
retinal disorders.
Progressive degeneration of photoreceptors -- the rods and cones of the
eyes -- causes blinding diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa and
age-related macular degeneration. While there are currently no available
treatments to reverse this degeneration, a newly developed compound allows
other cells in the eye to act like photoreceptors. As described in a study
appearing in the February 19 issue of the Cell Press journal Neuron, the
compound may be a potential drug candidate for treating patients suffering
from degenerative retinal disorders.
The retina has three layers of nerve cells, but only the outer layer
contains the rod and cone cells that respond to light, enabling us to see
the world. When the rods and cones die during the course of degenerative
blinding diseases, the rest of the retina remains intact but unable to
respond to light. Even though the innermost layer's nerve cells, called
ganglion cells, remain connected to the brain, they no longer transmit
information useful for vision.
Dr. Richard Kramer of the University of California, Berkeley and his
colleagues have invented "photoswitch" chemicals that confer light
sensitivity on these normally light-insensitive ganglion cells, restoring
light perception in blind mice. An earlier photoswitch required very bright
ultraviolet light, making it unsuitable for medical use. However, a new
chemical, named DENAQ, responds to ordinary daylight. Just one injection of
DENAQ into the eye confers light sensitivity for several days.
Experiments on mice with functional, nonfunctional, or degenerated rods and
cones showed that DENAQ only impacts ganglion cells if the rods and cones
have already died. It appears that degeneration in the outer retina leads to
changes in the electrophysiology in the inner retina that enables DENAQ
photosensitization, while the presence of intact photoreceptors prevents
DENAQ action.
The selective action of DENAQ on diseased tissue may reduce side effects on
healthy retina, exactly what is desired from a vision-restoring drug.
"Further testing on larger mammals is needed to assess the short- and
long-term safety of DENAQ and related chemicals," says Dr. Kramer. "It will
take several more years, but if safety can be established, these compounds
might ultimately be useful for restoring light sensitivity to blind humans.
How close they can come to re-establishing normal vision remains to be
seen."
“We hope you enjoyed your day on Blind Café. Where the members matter most”

*******Today in history by Alan Dicey:

TODAY IN HISTORY, Today is Sunday, February 23, the 54th day of 2014.  There
are 311 days left in the year.
Today's Highlights in History:
On this date February 23, in 1945: the U.S. flag is raised on Iwo Jima
During the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E
Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of the 5th Division take the crest of
Mount Suribachi, the island's highest peak and most strategic position, and
raise the U.S. flag.
On this date: In 1633, English diarist Samuel Pepys (peeps) was born in
London.
On this date in 1778: during the Revolutionary War, Friedrich von Steuben
arrives at Valley Forge
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/friedrich-von-steuben-arrives-at-valley-forge
On this date in 1836, the siege of the Alamo began in San Antonio, Texas.
On this date in 1848, the sixth president of the United States, John Quincy
Adams, died in Washington, D.C., at age 80.
On this date in 1861: President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrives in Washington
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-arrives-in-washington
On this date in 1863, British explorers John H.  Speke and James A.  Grant
announced they had found the source of the Nile River to be Lake Victoria.
On this date in 1868 : W.E.B. DuBois is born
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/web-dubois-is-born
On this date   in 1870, Mississippi was readmitted to the Union.
On this date in 1885: A remarkable reprieve for a man sent to the gallows
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/a-remarkable-reprieve-for-a-man-sent-to-the-gallows
On this date in 1887: Earthquake strikes Mediterranean
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/earthquake-strikes-mediterranean
On this date   in 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt signed an agreement
with Cuba to lease the area around Guantanamo Bay to the United States.
On this date in 1917: during World War 1, Germans begin withdrawal to the
Hindenburg Line
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/germans-begin-withdrawal-to-the-hindenburg-line
On this date   in 1927, President Calvin Coolidge signed a bill creating the
Federal Radio Commission, forerunner of the Federal Communications
Commission.
On this date in 1934, Leopold III succeeded his late father, Albert 1, as
King of the Belgians.
On this date in 1940: Guthrie writes "This Land is Your Land"
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/guthrie-writes-this-land-is-your-land
On this date in 1944, during World War 2, U.S.  forces secured Eniwetok
Atoll from the Japanese.
On this date   in 1945, during World War 2, U.S.  Marines on Iwo Jima
captured Mount Suribachi.
On this date February 23, 1954, the first mass inoculation of schoolchildren
against polio using the Salk vaccine began in Pittsburgh as some 5,000
students were vaccinated.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/children-receive-first-polio-vaccine
On this date in 1955 : First council meeting of SEATO
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-council-meeting-of-seato
On this date in 1958: Formula One champ kidnapped
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/formula-one-champ-kidnapped
On this date in 1966: during the Vietnam War, Desertion up in South
Vietnamese army
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/desertion-up-in-south-vietnamese-army
On this date in 1970, Guyana became a republic within the Commonwealth of
Nations.
On this date in 1971: during the Vietnam War, South Vietnamese advance
stalls
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/south-vietnamese-advance-stalls
On this date in 1978: It's a tie for Song of the Year at the 20th annual
Grammy Awards
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/it39s-a-tie-for-song-of-the-year-at-the-20th-annual-grammy-awards
On this date in 1980 : Eric Heiden speed skates into Olympic history
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/eric-heiden-speed-skates-into-olympic-history
On this date in 1981: Spanish rebels storm Parliament
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/spanish-rebels-storm-parliament
On this date in 1989, the Senate Armed Services Committee voted 11-9 along
party lines to recommend rejection of John Tower as President George H.W.
Bush's defense secretary.  (Tower's nomination went down to defeat in the
full Senate the following month.)
On this date in 1997 : Schindler's List shown uncut on network television
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/schindlers-list-shown-uncut-on-network-television
Ten years ago:
The Army canceled its Comanche helicopter program after sinking $6.9 billion
into it over 21 years.
Education Secretary Rod Paige likened the National Education Association,
the nation's largest teachers union, to a "terrorist organization" during a
private White House meeting with governors.  (Paige later called it a poor
choice of words, but stood by his claim the NEA was using "obstructionist
scare tactics.")
Five years ago:
President Barack Obama pledged to dramatically slash the skyrocketing annual
budget deficit as he started to dole out the record $787 billion economic
stimulus package he'd signed the previous week.
One year ago:
Some 30 NASCAR fans were injured when rookie Kyle Larson's car was propelled
by a crash into the fence at Daytona International Speedway, and large
chunks of debris including a tire flew into the grandstands.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship held its first women's bout as Ronda
Rousey beat Liz Carmouche on an armbar, her signature move, with 11 seconds
left in the first round of their bantamweight title fight at UFC 157 in
Anaheim, California
Today's Birthdays:
Actor Peter Fonda is 74.
Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Fred Biletnikoff is 71.
Author John Sandford is 70.
Singer-musician Johnny Winter is 70.
Country-rock musician Rusty Young is 68.
Actress Patricia Richardson is 63.
Rock musician Brad Whitford (Aerosmith) is 62.
Singer Howard Jones is 59.
Rock musician Michael Wilton (Queensryche) is 52.
Country singer Dusty Drake is 50.
Actress Kristin Davis is 49.
Tennis player Helena Sukova is 49.
Actor Marc Price is 46.
Actress Niecy Nash is 44.
Rock musician Jeff Beres (Sister Hazel) is 43.
Country singer Steve Holy is 42.
Rock musician Lasse (loss) Johansson (The Cardigans) is 41.
Actress Kelly Macdonald is 38.
Actor Josh Gad (Film: "Jobs") is 33.
Actress Emily Blunt is 31.
Actor Aziz Ansari is 31.
Actress Dakota Fanning is 20.
Thought for Today:
"If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror."
Francois Rabelais (ra-beh-LAY'), French satirist (1494-1553)
- - -

JB Heart
Author of Children's Books and Novels
www.jbheart.net