View this page "Discussion - New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (05-08-09 - 05-14-09)"

Maria

May 8, 2009, 3:03:34 PM5/8/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Ladies, we have a new discussion on the forum for New Moon. Come
join in.

Click on
http://groups.google.com/group/the-cafe-corner-book-club/web/discussion---new-moon-by-stephenie-meyer-05-08-09---05-14-09?hl=en
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

Maria

May 8, 2009, 3:04:41 PM5/8/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Please click on the link above to reveal the discussion questions and
page or view the "page" below in the page section titled "Discussion
-
Twilight Book 04/30 - 05/07

On May 8, 12:03 pm, Maria <CardInspi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ladies,  we have a new discussion on the forum for New Moon.  Come
> join in.
>
> Click onhttp://groups.google.com/group/the-cafe-corner-book-club/web/discussi...

Maria

May 8, 2009, 3:06:10 PM5/8/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
If you would to see all the replies to this discussion, click "expand
all"
located at the top left corner of the page.

To view only the most current reply, click "collapse all".

To view the sequence of replies as a tree, click "option" at the top
right corner and click "view as a tree" which will open a box to the
left of the discussion. This allows you to see the names of those
who
left a reply, click on the name and it will pull up their message.

Click on "x" to the right of the box, to close the box to view
without
the tree.

You may "hide the quote" by clicking "hide quote" at the bottom of
each reply.

When replying, if you don't the quote appearing in your message,
highlight the quote and click "delete" from your key board. This
will
"erase" the quote from your message.

tabergen

May 9, 2009, 9:28:37 AM5/9/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Not sure if this is the right place to discuss New Moon...
I'll be quick because I have to clean for Mother's Day (everyone is
coming here)
OH...and by the way, my husband and I had a movie date for the first
time in years last night...The new Star Trek is AWESOME. I can't say
enough about it...highly recommend it.
New Moon: For me this was the hardest book to get through in the
series. I didn't like the way Edward left...I thought he was so
foolish to think Bella would be better off that way and not hurt. I
also thought she was foolish not to realize his true motivations...but
then I guess this is typical of teen angst.
I am conflicted over who would really be better for Bella. The
relationship she could have with Jacob is so much less obsessive than
the one with Edward. If my daughter took up with a boy to the
exclusion of all her other friends, family and interests, I would be
very worried. That is not a healthy relationship in real life, but it
makes for a better storybook romance.
I also felt terrible for Jacob at the end of this book...poor jilted
kid.
I don't think the imprinting stuff is discussed until Eclipse, but I'm
not sure.

Maria

May 9, 2009, 3:54:14 PM5/9/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club

Hey Theresa! I want to see Star Trek. . the reviews were good.
Can't wait to see it!!

Why was the book the hardest for you? Because of the storyline or
because it was boring? LOL!

Yeah, poor Jacob . . .he sure got the bad end of the stick I
agree. . .her relationship with Edward wasn't healthy but it does make
for a good story.

Ooop, was the imprinting stuff in Eclipse? LOL! I thought it was
covered in New Moon and elaborated further in Eclipse. I think I have
to re-read the book. LOL!

Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Theresa Bergen

May 9, 2009, 4:16:01 PM5/9/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
No, I didn't find it boring at all. The first time I read through it, I kept
waiting for Edward to realize his idiocy and come back. With every chapter
that passed without his return and profuse apology to Bella for breaking her
heart. It just seemed to take forever and I really felt awful for Bella the
whole time she suffered.
The second time I read through it, I knew what was coming, so I paid more
attention to the good stuff along the way, like her friendship with Jacob.
It was still difficult because of all the misery, but now I know everything
turns out OK in the end, LOL.
Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Maria and all the other ladies out there :)
We just unloaded the haul from Costco for tomorrow's festivities and now
it's back to cleaning for me :)

Theresa Bergen,
Check out my Blog: http://goingscrapbooky.blogspot.com/

JJ

May 9, 2009, 8:47:21 PM5/9/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hello! I am not sure I am doing this correctly....but here it
goes....oh, and I answered more than the 3 questions, too...

1. What was your general impression of New Moon? Did you like the
book? Was it a good sequel to Twilight? Overall, I loved the book
(and the series!). I did not expect Bella's deep depression, which
when a book keeps me quessing, it's a good thing. And I feel in love
with Jacob.

2. What were your feelings about Bella in this book? Many critics
criticized Bella in this book as being a bad influence to young
impressionable teenagers because of her recklessness, suicidal
tendencies, and overall weakness. Do you agree? I never saw her as
reckless, suicidal or weak. She was taking back her life. Learning
to live without the one that completes her. Sometimes that means that
you do things that seem out of character. It seemed that she wanted
to feel again and start experiencing life again.

3. Do you think Edward made the right decision to leave Bella in the
way that he did or do you think he could have done it a different
way? I believe that he did not believe he had a choice but to leave
to keep Bella safe. Was it the right decision, probably not, but hind
since is always better.

4. Do you think Bella was right for seeking Jacob's friendship to
fill a void after Edward left her? Do you think she was leading him
on? In the state that Bella was in, she needed a bond to pull her
out, an emotional connection. Was it fair to Jacob, no. I do not
believe she ever intended on leading Jacob on. To be fair to Bella,
Jacob had already fallen for her when he first saw her in Twilight, I
believe. With Jacob's age, any attention paid would have probably
been taken in the wrong way. Also, Bella believed that Edward was
gone, she had to move on at some time in the future possibly.

5. I had asked this question in the Twilight discussion and this
discussion may have been a more appropriate question in this
discussion. Do you think Jacob would have made for a better partner
for Bella than Edward? I fell in love with Jacob's loyalty and
friendship qualities. But, learning about imprinting with the wolves,
Bella would have been heart broken eventually.

6. Why do you think Bella was so eager to have sex with Edward
considering she is a teenager in this book? I think Stephenie Meyer
could have been drawing a distinction between social life during
Edward's time and social life now. It was not proper to have sex
prior to marriage when Edward was human.

7. What are your feelings of Bella not wanting to get married but
still want to have sex? Do you think this is a right message for
teenagers (considering they are the intended audience)? The right
message, probably not. Analyzing from the book's perspective though,
given Bella's home life, separated parents, not big on marriage
anyway, it makes sense.

8. Do you agree with Edward that vampires have no souls? Do you
think there's an afterlife for vampires? I thought this was one of
the books most interesting points. No one knows if vampires have
souls, but does that mean that you disregard trying to be the best you
can be. Even though Edward said that vampires are condemend, he lives
as though he could be wrong. Kind of like keeping hope alive alittle.

9. For New Moon, Stephenie Meyer has said Romeo & Juliet was the key
inspiration. Beyond the main characters and the theme of forbidden
love, what other similarities did you notice between the stories?
That they both would die for each other. Edward does not want to live
without Bella. Clearly Bella feels the same, being that she is
willing to end her human exsistance to live with Edward forever.

10. Did you feel Edward appeared a bit disconnected or a little
indifferent towards Bella in this book, even when they reunited? I
liked that Edward felt disconnected or indifferent towards her. I
started seeing Edward as someone that cared so much for her that he
never wanted to hurt her, but felt that just his presence would hurt
her. In Twilight, it seemed to be an infatuation, something new and
different. Where now it was actually life to him.

11. Why was Jacob so in love with Bella when it appeared that Bella
was not his imprint? I don't think Jacob fully believed the
imprinting worked all the time for every wolf. Jacob is two years
younger than Bella, so she's his first crush! :0)

12. What are your impressions of the Volterra? Do you think they are
needed to keep the vampire world in proper order? My first
impressions of the Volterra is that they take want they want, when
they want. I truely believed that they are the ultimate bad. The
"proper order" thing I truely believed was a cover so they could do
what they wanted.

13. What do you think Stephenie Meyer's vampires are made of? If
they are hard as stone, how are they able to make themselves whole
after being torn into pieces? They regenerate, they do not die, so if
the pieces are close enough together they will heal. As to what they
are made of, well they sparkle life diamonds??

14. Why do you think Vampires need human blood to survive? What
would happen to them if they don't drink blood? They don't need human
blood to survive, they can survive on animal blood. Although, human
is the ultimate craving. I think of it as to donuts and eclairs for
me, if I smell them, I have to run or I will eat them! :0) Now,
this is my theory, but if vampires didn't drink blood they would
shrivel up like raisins and go into a coma like state, but not die.
Any blood would rehydrate them eventually.

Theresa Bergen

May 10, 2009, 8:40:27 AM5/10/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
There is also a whole chapter where Bella parallels her life to the classic
and wonders what would have happened if Romeo left Juliet, never to return.
Could Juliet have found happiness with Parrish (Jacob?) She is trying to
talk herself into moving on with Jacob, but then snaps out of it when she
realizes Alice is in her house.

Maria

May 12, 2009, 1:57:55 PM5/12/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Joy,

I'm team Edward! LOL! As much as I thought Jacob was a sweet person
and his friendship was important to Bella, I prefer the "in love"
relationship that Edward and Bella have for one another. I think
eventually with time, Edward and Bella will develop a less intense
relationship and become "friends" as well. I think with Jacob, Bella
would eventually become bored of him. In the long run a relationship
that incorporates a good friendship is important to sustain a
relationship but a strong physical attraction is needed initially to
"bond" two people.

LOL! I love your response to question #14. I've always wondered what
would happen to a vampire if they don't have any blood to sustain
them. I agree, I think they'll shrivel up but don't die. The
question is how do they "rehydrate"? Through blood transfusion? LOL!

Thanks for answering the questions. . love all your responses. I'll
come back and respond to a few more later.

Maria

May 12, 2009, 2:21:46 PM5/12/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Here's my take on few of the questions:

What was your general impression of New Moon? Did you like the
book? Was it a good sequel to Twilight?

Of all the books in the series, I actually liked New Moon the least.
It doesn't mean I didn't like it. . .I did like it but not as much as
the others. I did feel the book helped answer questions about the
werewolves and their history. I did find the book a little slow in
the beginning. I like Edward and Bella's relationship and their
interaction with one another which was minimal in this book so I did
find the book a bit boring at times.

What were your feelings about Bella in this book? Many critics
criticized Bella in this book as being a bad influence to young
impressionable teenagers because of her recklessness, suicidal
tendencies, and overall weakness. Do you agree?

I somewhat agree with the critics. I felt Bella could have handled
the loss of Edward in a better way rather than "falling apart". I
think young teenagers are impressionable and being destructive or
reckless is not a good message to young teenagers. I would rather
have preferred that a message that it's NOT the end of the world to
lose a boyfriend.

Bella did try to move on somewhat but at the expense of Jacob. She
did continue to be destructive despite her attempt to move on with her
life. I did not see the "strong" qualities that she possessed in the
first book. On the otherhand, it wouldn't make for a good story if
she didn't fall apart the way she did.

Do you think Edward made the right decision to leave Bella in the way
that he did or do you think he could have done it a different way?

I believe Edward could have "explained" to her why he had to leave.
Leaving cold turkey (although it was for Bella's best interest) was
cruel. I believe Bella would have understood eventually and it would
have saved her the "torture" that she had experienced. Edward could
have still moved to somewhere far a way and Bella wouldn't have been
able to find him but it wouldn't have left Bella feeling abandoned and
unloved.

Do you think Bella was right for Bella to seek Jacob's friendship to
fill a void after Edward left her? Do you think she was leading him
on?

I do think Bella gave Jacob mixed messages. On one hand she would
tell Jacob that she didn't feel the same way for him but she kept
seeking him out as if she was. I think she did use him to help her
deal with the loss of Edward but it was Jacob's fault to some degree.
He kept "hoping" that Bella would like him the same way. . .and maybe
was in denial somewhat. I don't think it was fair for either Bella
and Jacob. It wasn't fair for Bella as well because she did love
Jacob for his friendship . ..it was just unfortunate that Jacob felt a
different way.

Okay, that's it for now. I'll answer a few more later today!!

Maria

May 12, 2009, 2:42:24 PM5/12/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hey Theresa,

Gosh, I can't remember the story of Romeo and Juliet. I remember
parts of the book but I think the last time I read the book was in
high school and the movie when I was in my 20s which was a long time
ago. LOL!!
> willing to end her human exsistance to live with Edward forever.- Hide quoted text -

Maria

May 12, 2009, 2:45:53 PM5/12/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hey Theresa,

I agree. . .Edward was foolish to think that by leaving the way he did
was the right way to do things. Didn't he think that Bella would feel
extremely bad and fabandoned? I think he was being selfish. It made
things easier for him without considering Bella's feelings. He is
avampire so maybe his views of the world is a bit different.
Technically he is an old wise man rather than a teenager so maybe his
"age" clouded his judgement somewhat.

Theresa Bergen

May 12, 2009, 3:04:43 PM5/12/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
LOL, I think it was required High School reading, followed by viewing of West Side Story to draw parallels. I wonder if English teachers make students read New Moon now for the comparison.
Now I may have some of this mixed up, but:
Basically it's two feuding families (which I guess could be the Quilleutes vs. the Cullens)...Romeo is from one, Juliet from the other. Juliet's family is trying to get her to accept betrothal to Paris when she and Romeo meet and fall in love. Romeo & Juliet get married in secret.
To escape marriage to Paris, Juliet pretends to kill herself. Romeo hears the 'news' and really thinks Juliet is dead and so kills himself...definitely a parallel there between Edward's attempted suicide after thinking Bella died jumping off the cliff.
Juliet finds Romeo dead and then kills herself for real. Oh, and somewhere in there with all the other deaths, Romeo fights with and kills Paris.
I'm glad New Moon didn't end with Edward, Bella & Jacob dead.
Theresa

Maria

May 12, 2009, 7:23:36 PM5/12/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hey Theresa,

My daughter had told me that her English teacher discussed Twilight in
his class. He is actually a fan of the Twilight books. LOL! She
said that one of their required reading was Bram Stoker's Dracula and
they had a discussion of Twilight and Dracula.

From your analysis, I see a few similarities between New Moon and
Romeo & Juliet. I know I loved the movie (Romeo & Juliet). . .I loved
Romeo . . .I thought he was so handsome. Juliet was so pretty too. I
loved her voice and pretty long hair.
> ago.  LOL!!- Hide quoted text -

amanda...@gmail.com

May 19, 2009, 11:39:47 AM5/19/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
*What was your general impression of New Moon? Did you like the
book? Was it a good sequel to Twilight?

To be completely honest, I was not a HUGE twilight junkie to begin
with (I know, I should be shot for even saying it right?) . . . I read
it but it was not my favorite book ever. I decided to read New Moon
after watching the Twilight movie because some thing intrigued me
enough to want to know more. That said,I thought New Moon started off
REALLY SLOW. All the good action did not start until more than
halfway through the book. I did enjoy the book though. Very
interesting. It was a decent sequel to Twilight.

*I had asked this question in the Twilight discussion and this
discussion may have been a more appropriate question in this
discussion. Do you think Jacob would have made for a better partner
for Bella than Edward?

NO. *enough said*

*Was Bella really hallucinating that Edward was talking to her or do
you think he was actually present during times when she was
endangering herself?

I think she was actually hearing him. It is interesting and will be
interesting to see how this is portrayed in the movie. I think if he
is actually speaking to her it is better, otherwise, she is just crazy
and that would really change a lot of things I think in the story.