View this page "Introduce Yourself"

Maria

Apr 26, 2009, 2:58:16 PM4/26/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/the-cafe-corner-book-club/web/introduce-yourself?hl=en
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

Maria

Apr 26, 2009, 3:27:15 PM4/26/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
My name is Maria Bell and the administrator of this book club!

I've been an advid book reader since I was a teenager. I was an only
child and many times, to preoccupy myself, I would read a book. It
helped time go by quicker.

Since my college years, I've been reading primarily non-fiction and
reference books. My favorite subjects are the sciences, history,
supernatural, psychology and religion. I would occasionally read
novels. It's not because of my lack of interest in fiction books;
it's primarily due to lack of available time to read them. I like to
be totally immersed in a good book. . I'm the sort that will read a
novel from start to finish in a day. It's like watching a movie. I
can't put a book down once I start reading it. Unfortunately, with
life obligations I no longer could find the time to read a book the
way I would love to do it.

After reading the Twilight books recently, I found the enjoyment of
reading again and found a way to balance my life in a way that I can
include reading without having to compromise my life duties! LOL!

I started this club because I love discussing a good book and I
thought that starting an online club will be a great way to find
others who have the same interest in reading and are willing to gather
together and participate in discussions.

I have two kids, one in high school and another just graduated last
year. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a husband. LOL! Professionally,
I'm an RN specializing in OB/GYN, high risk pregnancy, and GYN
Oncology (cancer). I'm currently a SAHM until my daughter graduates
from high school. I'm planning to return to college in January to
obtain a second Bachelors degree. This time I'm planning to obtain an
Bachelors in Arts degree with an emphasis in photography.

I love to craft, specifically card making and scrapbooking,
photography (duh!), blogging, and reading. I have two blog sites
besides the book club:

www.stampininspirations.blogspot.com
http://photoinspirationsbymaria.blogspot.com/

I'm also on Facebook, add me as a friend: http://www.facebook.com/people/Maria-Bell/1528955012

Maria

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

stampin....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2009, 5:31:23 PM4/26/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi my name is Tracy. It is funny that I am a member of a book club. I
did not actually start to read for enjoyment until I graduated from
High School. But I fell in love with good books! Then I had my kids
and got away from it for awhile. But since reading the Twilight
Series...well you know. I have actually read through the whole series
3 or 4 times now in the 9 months that I have owned them!!

I am 38 yrs old and been married for almost 8 yrs...however, we have
been together for almost 19 yrs! We have two beautiful daughters who
are 6yrs and 7yrs. I currently work parttime for my in-laws. They own
a lottery booth at a local grocery store. I am a HUGH Disney fan and
have been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld. Disneyworld is my
favorite though...feels like I have come 'home'. ;0) Our family are
big camping fans and have our 3 trips booked for the summer already! I
am a crafter as well...mostly cardmaking, but I have done a bit of
Scrapbooking as well. I am really looking forward to reading some
books that I might have not necessarily picked out for myself.

Here is my blog if anyone wants to pop in...
http://tracyshappyplace.blogspot.com/
> www.stampininspirations.blogspot.comhttp://photoinspirationsbymaria.blogspot.com/

tabergen

Apr 26, 2009, 8:35:41 PM4/26/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi, my name is Theresa. I've loved to read since I was a kid, but
after 9-11 (when I stopped commuting via public transportation into
NYC) and the birth of my daughter a couple months later, my book habit
slowed to a crawl. Then, like many others, I picked up the Twilight
series and rediscovered my love of reading. I got the Kindle back in
February which allows me to continue with a story during the many
hours I spend in the car each week (it has a read-aloud feature that
makes any book an audio book.)
I tend to fixate on a genre for a while. For example, after I read
Clan of the Cave Bears, I read every novel set in pre-historic times
that I could get my hands on. Since Twilight, I've been reading a lot
of paranormal fiction. I prefer fiction over non-fiction...non-fiction
just feels too much like homework to me.
Anyhow, I'm happy Maria started this group because I do like to
discuss what I've read with others, but just don't have the time to
start something like this in the neighborhood.
I'm off to curl up with my Kindle and The Host now...

taylo...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 10:04:03 AM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi everyone! My name is Taylor and I am an avid reader - my husband,
Skip, is a manager at a bookstore so that helps feed my habit! We've
been married for six and a half years, together for eleven. We have a
three year old daughter, Ava Grace, two dogs, Cooper and Will, and two
cats, Darcy and Knightley -- who were named after characters from Jane
Austen novels, lol.

I will read just about anything, although I tend to head towards the
non-fiction (I *love* British History, and any other medieval to
Renaissance history), reference and religion genre. I do love a good
thriller, and sometimes a lighthearted "summer read" is perfect.

In addition to reading, I am on several design teams and write for
Craft Crtitique and Christian Papercrafts magazine. My blog is
Http://musingsofanaddict.wordpress.com if you'd like to check it out!

I'm really excited about this book club!!!

Heather

Apr 27, 2009, 12:05:21 PM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hello everyone! My name is Heather and I love to read and am so happy
to be in this book club. My love of reading come straight from my
mother- she read to me until she was hoarse when we was a kid. I
think she was happy when I learned to read myself! I love thrillers
and mysteries best but I do enjoy Christian, romance, beach reads and
anything else that catches my fancy. How fun it will be to discuss
books with so many opinionated women.

I have been married for 15 years and our daughter is 8. I enjoy
cooking, baking, crafting, reading, blogging, FaceBook and creative
writing. Right now, I'm not working outside the home (but I expect
good news this week). I am a card designer for SheetLoad (http://
sheetload.blogspot.com/) and I am a senior reporter for Craft Critique
(http://www.craftcritique.com/). As a cardmaker, I think it is
invaluable to have a place to get constructive criticism about your
work so I created Stamping Critique (http://
stampingcritique.blogspot.com/) to have a place to post cards and
receive feedback from fellow card makers. And lastly, I have my own
craft blog (http://stampdetails.blogspot.com/).

OK back to The Host. I might be the person here who hasn't read any
of the Twilight books.

tabergen

Apr 27, 2009, 12:18:49 PM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Heather,
I started reading the Host last night and you don't need to be
familiar with Twilight in the least...completely different worlds from
what I can see.
Theresa

tabergen

Apr 27, 2009, 12:21:05 PM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club

Tracy,
I am a Disney fanatic as well, although we haven't been back to WDW
since Jan 2007 :(
Now that my daughter is in school, it's tough to go at off times and I
really don't want to go in the summer.
Theresa

amanda...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 2:51:23 PM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi girls, (we are all girls right?)

My name is Amanda but I usually go by Mandy with close friends. I am
a SAHM of three small children, Girl (6), Boy (4) and Boy (4 months).
I have been married to Michael for 7 years and he works as a database
administrator. We have a dog named Dobby (and yes, we are big Harry
Potter nerds). I graduated with a bachelors degree in Communications
(Broadcasting and Interpersonal relations).

I have always LOVED to read and really just don't understand people
who don't read at all. It baffles me. I like to read the whole
series when there is one and hate waiting for books to be published.
I am super impatient that way. I love chick lit. (Yep, I admit it) I
recently read Emily Giffin obsessively and I am currently reading
"Love the One You're With" by her as well, because it just came out in
paperback. YAY! I also love to read parenting books. Heaven knows I
can use all the help I can get. I love hearing other peoples
perspectives on parenting. I usually don't just read one book at a
time, so I will have to try really hard to get through our monthly
books and put the others down until I finish it. Current reads:
Certain Girls (Jennifer Weiner), New Moon (Stephanie Meyer) - yep,
still have not finished this series - I am reading it with my hubby so
it is taking longer because we read aloud, Love the One You're With
(Emily Giffin), Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
(Dan Kindlon), The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje) and now The Host
(Stephanie Meyer). Yep, pretty much I have book readers A.D.D.
*giggles*

I love to stamp and paper craft as well. I am not a big scrapbook
girl, but from time to time I will create a themed scrapbook of a
specific event. I find that satisfying -- I am a finisher, so I have
trouble with scrapbooks because of this -- I can't have a project on-
going for that long. I also love to blog. My blog:
http://www.inkspirations.blogspot.com and I am on facebook as well.
(http://www.facebook.com/people/Amanda-Gauer-Sewell/814310410)

Nice to "meet" you all!

amanda...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 2:53:12 PM4/27/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Oooh and I forgot to write, I am totally a DISNEYLAND addict. We had
passes last year, but this year with the new baby and all, we decided
not to get them, and wait until he is older and we are going through
some MAJOR missing disneylanditis. Glad that there are others who
love it as much as we do.

Mandy

Tracy

Apr 27, 2009, 4:47:21 PM4/27/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
I agree! No need to worry about that. I just started it today...OMG! I am
lovin' it!

Tracy :0)
http://tracyshappyplace.blogspot.com/

Tracy

Apr 27, 2009, 4:49:09 PM4/27/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
Hey Theresa,

I know what you mean. But you know what? Depending on how old your daughter
is...it's worth taking them out. We took our daughters last year during the
first week of May. It was not busy...it was not super hot either...just
perfect really.

Tracy :0)
http://tracyshappyplace.blogspot.com/
Apr 27, 2009, 4:52:14 PM4/27/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
Oh to live close enough for a yearly pass!!! ;0)

Tracy :0)
http://tracyshappyplace.blogspot.com/
Apr 28, 2009, 12:37:33 AM4/28/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi everyone! My name is Margie and I am a book-a-holic! I am so happy
that Maria has started this Book Club!
I remember falling in love with books in 1st grade! I read every "Dick
and Jane" book that my teacher could find for me, lol! From then on, I
was a regular at the library...
After I graduated and jumped into the real world, I didn't have time
to read, many years passed by, until I became sick with Lyme's and was
home for 3 months with absolutely nothing to do... During that first
week, I dragged myself to pick up some groceries and went by the
magazine isle and found "Stir of Echoes" by Richard Matheson (the
original first release hardcover) and started reading again! It was
like finding my long lost friend! I have fallen in love quite a few
times with different books and authors, but I was never a "saga" or
"series" type of person until I met Richard Paul Evans' books and
Harry Potter! Now add Twilight to the mix and I have been one very
happy girl! I just got caught up with the whole Sookie Vampire/
Charlaine Harris books - I'm not 'head over heels' about them, but it
has been a good storyline to follow in between other reading.
I have been married for 5 1/2 years and we have two yummy lil boys,
Nicky is 5 and Matt will be 3 in June. My family totally knows and
supports my book addiction! I have recently started collecting Baum's
'Oz' books and other classic stories written in it's original
entirety. I've also been trying to build up a mini-library for my
boys, who I hope will love books as much as I do (since Dad won't read
anything other than the newspaper!) - right now we've been going
through all of Dr. Suess' books; and I already have Harry Potter,
Narnia, and The Spiderwick Chronicles waiting for them to get older.
Right now I'm looking into Limony Snicket's - A Series of Unfortunate
Events, I'm not too familiar with that storyline and what I do know
about it - I don't like much, lol! There are 13 books! If anyone has
any info, I'd greatly appreciate it ;)
Oh, and I do have other interests! lol! Even though I haven't been
able to since Matt was born, I love to draw! My fave medium is pencils
and chalk. I'd like to get back to that sometime soon... I also love
to scrap! and blog! and doing my challenges with my sister and the
Twilight gals! If I have a lil spare time, you can also find me on
Facebook and Twitter ;)

It's so wonderful to see so many people here! I pick up my book
tomorrow! I cannot wait to get started!!!

:*) Margie

Blog: http://ohbumbleismemargie.blogspot.com

tabergen

Apr 28, 2009, 1:10:05 PM4/28/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
I love Charlaine's Southern Vampire series. Book 9 is set to be
delivered to my Kindle next Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be done with
The Host by then. I don't know how far into it you've gotten, but the
4th book (Dead To The World) is my favorite so far.

On Apr 28, 12:37 am, "Margie (MeSc...@rocketmail.com)"

mimi...@comcast.net

Apr 28, 2009, 3:06:46 PM4/28/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Ladies,
It's nice to meet all of you. My name is Mary and I live in NH with
my husband of almost 11 years. All of our children are grown so it's
just Wayne and I. :) I used to be an avid reader. Once I became a card
desigener for Cornish Heritage farms, I found that I had very little
time to read. I no longer design for CHF. I am a stay at home wife. I
do volunteer work, blog, design cards and alter items. I cook, clean
etc. I keep very busy.

I have only read the book Twilight so far and really liked it. I have
the other three books from the series waiting for me to read. I like
reading fiction,non-fiction, thrillers and Mystery books to name a
few. I just started reading The Host last night. It seems like it will
be a good read.
Have a great day.

Mary
http://www.itsallaboutthejourney.typepad.com/

stephie...@yahoo.com

Apr 28, 2009, 5:06:42 PM4/28/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hello book club members! My name is Stephenie (with an E) and I
actually found the Twilight saga because I googled myself. I am so
happy that I did! I have read them 8 times each, sometimes I leave out
the parts that are not my favorite like the Jacob stuff! =0) I am an
avid reader. I read in junior high stuff like Sweet Valley Twins and
High and The Babysitter Book Club. I met friends who read and
introduced me to things like The Chronicles of Narnia and books like
that. In college I found out I loved Pat Conroy and others. When I was
pregnant with my first son I was crazy about the Harry Potter series,
what fun was that! I am married to my husband Troy, we have two son's
Austin (7) and Cody (3). We live in the Lexington, KY area. I am
originally from Virginia and do miss home. I work for the University
of Kentucky and also attend college there, I'm working on my RN. I
have a Bachelors Degree from ODU in Marketing but with the job market
the way it is it is pretty useless around here. I absolutely love to
cook and experiment in my kitchen. I love the Food Network seriously!
I love to craft, I make cards and love to rubber stamp. I also love to
knit, make jewelry and play around with crafting with my kiddos!
Anyways I am so excited to have this book club! To be able to share my
thoughts on books with other women is awesome! Thanks Maria, your a
book reading rockstar!

Theresa Bergen

Apr 28, 2009, 6:06:46 PM4/28/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
LOL, Stephenie---I am on my second read-through of the Saga. I was so on
Team Jacob the first time around, but am slowly starting to appreciate
Edward a little more this time. If I can just get past the part in New Moon
where he ticks me off...

Theresa Bergen,
Check out my Blog: http://goingscrapbooky.blogspot.com/

Margie (MeScrap@rocketmail.com)

Apr 29, 2009, 3:16:58 AM4/29/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
I just finished Book 8 two days ago :)
Book 4 and 8 are my faves!!!
Will Sookie ever find true love?
I'm excited to see that Charlaine Harris is contracted to do 10
books...
but I don't think she'll be able to tie up all the loose ends by
then!
I keep forgetting to order Book 9 - going to do that now! LOL!
> > has been a good storyline to follow in between other reading.- Hide quoted text -

Margie (MeScrap@rocketmail.com)

Apr 29, 2009, 3:18:36 AM4/29/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
LOL! I agree! New Moon was a toughie!
But after the {ahem} 4th read... I like the book!
... but Twilight is my fave ;)
> the parts that are not my favorite like the Jacob stuff!  - Hide quoted text -

Theresa Bergen

Apr 29, 2009, 7:36:49 AM4/29/09
to the-cafe-cor...@googlegroups.com
I liked 8 too, although it was trashed in the reviews for not being focused enough on one major plot. I feel it was setting the stage for important things to come in 9 and 10.
I'm still holding out hope for Eric, as far as Sookie's love life goes.
I wonder if 10 will be the last, or if that's just as far as the contract goes. Maybe she will re-sign with the publisher and keep it going, although on her website she does say she has a definite ending in mind for the series.
--
Theresa Bergen,

Apr 29, 2009, 11:19:19 AM4/29/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this type of forum so I hope I'm posting right! LOL

It's so great to be among avid readers like myself. However, I don't
read as much as I used to when I was younger. Kids, work and stamping
take precedence over that now! I remember always loving to read from
an early age. In elementary school I read all the Judy Blume books.
LOVED Are you there God, It's me Margaret...omg, I can't remember how
many times I read that book!!! There was another one of hers I read
over and over but can't remember. You know books to me in my early
teen years were like my bible to life....I could always find an escape
in a book (and sometimes in my house growing up I desperately needed
that escape) Anyhoo, other books I loved were The Babysitters Club & I
did read some of the Sweet Valley High but didn't get too into it.

When I read a good book by an author, I tend to then read every book
that author has ever published. Some examples, Anne Rice (I even went
so far as to find books she wrote under different names, LOL),
Nicholas Sparks, & Francine Rivers (now I'm reading books by Danielle
Steel I love her books as an easy read after a more thought provoking
book, LOL). There was another author that I read all her books when I
was in jr high but I can't remember her name. She wrote interesting
books about psychic abilities, paranormal type activities, murder
mysteries. I loved them but can't remember her name which is totally
irking me! One book I remember distinctly was about a girl who was
able to travel outside her body and when she was doing this one time,
another spirit acutally inhabited her body and it turned out to be her
twin sister that had died or something like that I think.....If anyone
knows who I'm talking about I would be so thrilled! LOL

Anyway, I'm excited about this. I hope I can keep up! The first book,
The Host is awesome. I actually got to meet Stephanie Meyer at a book
signing last year in denver. It's the only book I have personally
signed so I'm pretty proud of it!

stephie...@yahoo.com

Apr 29, 2009, 8:05:06 PM4/29/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Edward was so desperately in love with Bella that he was willing to
let her go if it meant saving her life. I am a huge Edward fan and
actually hate Jacob, lol=0) Yeah, I almost quit reading the books when
he left!!!! Err I was so angry! =0) I love those books though,
Stephenie M. is amazing!!!!

Wendy Gorton

Apr 30, 2009, 4:04:29 PM4/30/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Mary, I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your
blog. You're such a welcoming person. So glad we are going to get to
know each other through the book club.

Wendy

On Apr 28, 12:06 pm, "mimih...@comcast.net" <mimih...@comcast.net>

litl...@shaw.ca

May 4, 2009, 7:43:49 PM5/4/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi, Gals!

I know this is a bit late - but here I am! My name is Dianne and Live
in Calgary with my hubby. I love reading - I didn't get a chance to
get in on the first book - Twilight - but have heard amazing things
about it. I've started reading June's book and look forward to
joining the discussion groups!

I've been card making for the past couple of years and love it! I
have blog: www.littledcreations.blogspot.com

Margie (MeScrap@rocketmail.com)

May 4, 2009, 11:41:28 PM5/4/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi Diane!!!
It's great to see so many people joining in!!! Maria's has done an
awesome job setting everything up for us!!!

The first book is for May - "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer...

Those who have read Twilight are just chatting away until we're ready
to chat about "The Host" :)

amber...@gmail.com

May 14, 2009, 4:30:19 PM5/14/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hi everyone!

My name is Amber and I live in sunny San Diego. I love to read and
have always loved to read. I have spent nights reading until 3 in the
morning if I am reading a good book or even if I am at the end of an
okay book. I am currently into Sci-fi but I frequently switch between
genre prefrences. My main book intrests are Romance, Young Adult
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Thriller and Self-Help books. I also love cookbooks
but you can't quite read them the same way as the other genres.

My other hobbies include; cooking, scrapbooking, blogging(a new thing
for me), yoga and geocahceing. I look forward to getting to know
everyone in the group!

helm_...@yahoo.ca

May 16, 2009, 12:26:45 PM5/16/09
to The Cafe Corner Book Club
Hey Everyone,

My Sister told me about this site and I thought I would join. My name
is Paula and I am and elementary librarian, and I love to read. Look
forward to reading with you all.