Open source C++ implementation?

Joseph Lisee

Sep 6, 2013, 9:56:53 AM9/6/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
Will you be releasing an open source C++ implementation of blink?  Are you open to an official high performance open source C++ blink implementation?

This is mainly in my own self interest here, if I were to use Blink I would need a C++ implementation.

-Joe L.

Anders Furuhed

Sep 6, 2013, 12:03:45 PM9/6/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

an open source C++ implementation is an obvious next and required step for many potential users.
We (Pantor) are considering providing such an implementation.
The time required to create, release, and support that work is currently spent on a number of commercial Pantor activities.
We had commercial reasons to get a Java implementation in the hands of our clients, so that's why we started there.
On the Java side, what we have made available is sufficient for integration needs but there is a lot more to do performance and completeness wise.
We do have an internal C++ implementation, but not with the programming interface that we would target in an open source version.
I wish I could make a more clear commitment including a time plan, but we are not there just yet.

Kind Regards,
Anders

Joseph Lisee

Sep 9, 2013, 4:40:24 PM9/9/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
Anders,

Thank you for the prompt response.  I figured as much about your internal implementation not being applicable for open consumption.  I will be watching this project closely.  Avro is the only other project that comes close to Blink in trying to offer a high performance (in both time and space) serialization format, without tons of baggage.

-Joe L.