Creating new decoder and encoder

Thomas Lo

Sep 17, 2013, 8:48:19 AM9/17/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
I would like to create new decoder and encoder. Instead of using the compressed, I would like to create fixed length encoding. I am wondering what would be the easiest way to achieve that. For the existing Java based decoder and encoder, you probably have a code generator generating the compact encoder and decoder in runtime. Is that something I can use and modify on? If so then it would be much faster for me. Thanks.

david.rosenborg

Sep 20, 2013, 7:47:11 AM9/20/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
If you intend to support the same POJO-style interface that is used in the compact codec, I suggest you take a similar implementation approach for a native format codec. Much of the code in the CompactReaderCompiler and CompactWriterCompiler would look very similar in the native case. At some point it would probably be worthwhile generalizing it so that much of the code would work independently of the target encoding, but for now, you could use it as a starting point and modify copies of them to suit new NativeReader and NativeWriter classes.

Thomas Lo

Sep 21, 2013, 8:34:33 AM9/21/13
to the-blink...@googlegroups.com
Thanks