Recipe: Tuna and cannellini salad

Jenna

Jan 9, 2013, 9:15:33 PM1/9/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Figured I'd kick this off with one of my go-to recipes for when I'm making lunch for work. It's pretty simple/fast, and it's got some protein and fiber. I know there are concerns about mercury with regards to tuna, so I try not to make it too frequently, but it's nice every once in a while. (It also freezes well, at least by my standards.)

Tuna and Cannellini Bean Salad
1 (5-ounce) can water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans (or about 2 1/3 cups), rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (or I just use 1/8 tsp garlic powder, making sure that it's distributed well)
2 tablespoons chopped basil or parsley
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/3 cup of some kind of vinaigrette
Optional: sliced red onion rings, kalamata olives, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, oregano

Combine the tuna, beans, garlic, basil or parsley, ground pepper, and any of the optional ingredients. Mix in the vinaigrette and toss to combine; chill. Good on top of a salad or on flatbread.

hotelst...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2013, 5:49:22 PM1/10/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking we could post about this on the Hairpin Friday Open Thread? I suppose I might as well reveal now that I comment as rimy over there :)

Jen

Jan 10, 2013, 10:26:31 PM1/10/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I was thinking the same thing! The timing works out well for that, so I'll see you at the FOT. :)

Emma Peel

Jan 11, 2013, 2:21:28 PM1/11/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Hee! I just did, but please post again!

Jen

Jan 11, 2013, 2:44:22 PM1/11/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting, Emma Peel!

Camelia Stan

Jan 18, 2013, 4:48:08 PM1/18/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Honestly I make something like this at least once a week. In my mind, the necessities are: tuna in olive oil + oil from the can/jar, beans, kalamata olives, some kind of onion (usually shallot), and the juice of one lemon. Negotiable and usually added: tomato, cucumber. If on hand: other crunchy stuff (kohlrabi!) or salad greens.

This makes two meals for me, dinner + lunch. YUM!