Money-Saving Tips

Karen Bowness

Jan 14, 2013, 11:23:11 AM1/14/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Aside from choosing cost-effective recipes, my favourite trick is to go to a website like Punchfork and use the search bar to find a recipe that uses an ingredient I have leftover from something else -- that half-block of queso fresco can have a second life in a new recipe, not wither away and die in the fridge.

Elise Nussbaum

Jan 19, 2013, 4:05:49 PM1/19/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Yes! The Whole Foods iPhone app does that as well.

Adrienne

Jan 21, 2013, 10:45:22 AM1/21/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I like to take advantage of the freezer if I know I'm not going to eat all of something.
Most leftovers freeze well, and can be put in portion-sized containers for taking for my lunch at work! Way better than all my coworkers' frozen processed meals, and super fast for getting my lunch ready rather than resorting to going out to eat as a result of a busy morning.
If I have too many peppers/squash/zucchini/whatever that I know I won't be able to eat all of, I chop them up and put them in a freezer bag for future recipes.
I also freeze cooked meat for easy meals in the future. Shredded or ground meat can be put in a freezer bag and smushed out flat, so that you can break off the amount you need later to be heated up for a taco, sandwich, noodles, added to a salad, whatever! Pieces of meat can be wrapped separately, or be put in so that they don't touch, and thrown all together after they are completely frozen.