Barefoot Evening with Christopher McDougall (author of Born to Run)

Bryan

Jun 11, 2010, 3:37:46 PM6/11/10
to The Barefoot Savages
Hey fellow barefooters, minimalists, and those interested,

I wrote about the event on my blog: http://barefootrunning365.blogspot.com

It was a great presentation - Chris is really running the talk!

art brennan

Jun 11, 2010, 4:34:22 PM6/11/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bryan. I've gone over to VFFs because of the problems I've had with
glass and very sharp crushed stone that is used in my area (New England,
USA) for roads and road shoulders. I'll be running the Mt. Washington Road
Race in New Hampshire on the 19th of June with my wife, Nancy. We've run
the race many times and will find it interesting to do it again this year
with the VFFs and the new gait that you described in your blog. Thanks
again for the message.
Art

Bryan

Jun 13, 2010, 9:20:50 AM6/13/10
to The Barefoot Savages
Good luck running in your FFs Art - what got you started in barefoot /
minimalist running?
Were you a runner before?

art brennan

Jun 13, 2010, 10:02:31 AM6/13/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bryan. I started running when I was drafted into the Army in 1969.
Nancy (my wife) and I have been running ever since. I've run the Chicago
Marathon and Boston Marathon and have run the Mt. Washington many times.
An old friend of mine stopped by to see my mother (who is 90 and diagnosed
with terminal cancer, although you'd never know it) to discuss their mutual
atheism. He was wearing FFs and gave me a copy of "Born to Run." I read
the book twice and decided to give minimalist running a try. It really
works for me! I've had problems with plantar fasciitis for years and the
necessity of landing closer to the ball of my foot when running barefoot or
with the FFs has made a great difference for me.
And you, what got you started?

Jun 13, 2010, 10:20:54 AM6/13/10
to The Barefoot Savages
Impressive with the marathon running. Born to Run is a great read,
especially for anyone having trouble running. I was in a similar
situation - I ran cross-country in high school and continued running
through university. Heel-striking in modern running shoes led to pain
in my IT bands over the years. I heard the same things that Chris
heard: "You're not built to run." Also, like Chris, I am 6'4" and 200+
lbs. I've only just started barefoot running but I don't have any pain
yet.

art brennan

Jun 13, 2010, 10:31:16 AM6/13/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
That's great. 6'4" and 200+ really is a test for barefoot running! I'm
5'10 and 145 and don't have the same challenge. I'm a retired superior
court judge and I used the running to keep me sane, or at least somewhat
sane, through those years. My nephew just started running barefoot
yesterday. He's your size and reported back with blisters and bruises from
sharp stones. It's all part of the process! Are you still in university?

Jun 13, 2010, 10:53:15 AM6/13/10
to The Barefoot Savages
I'm just out of university (whoo hoo!). Tell your nephew to check out
my blog:

http://barefootrunning365.blogspot.com

I have posts after each barefoot run I've done and some pictures as
well - but to sum it up: with correct form your nephew shouldn't be
developing blisters or bruises (basically a direct quote from Chris
from the barefoot seminar). With that said, I ran with improper form
in the beginning - I landed on the front of my foot, but not enough on
the 4th and 5th metatarsals. I also pushed off (cause of blisters)
instead of simply pulling my feet up off the ground and letting
gravity pull me forward. It's fun to learn! Also, from what I
understand, our feet don't get thick and callused like I originally
thought, "they stay as soft and supple as ever" - Chris

Running on sharp rocks is always going to hurt. Again, this is just my
perspective right now. The guy who ran across the US and creator of
this group, Tellman, probably has some good insight about brusing and
blistering. Maybe he'll read this and respond?

art brennan

Jun 13, 2010, 12:59:43 PM6/13/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'll have him check it out! Good luck and I'll be checking out your
blog as well!

Jun 13, 2010, 7:03:43 PM6/13/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
Nice thread guys!
I'm heading out in just a few minutes on the hot hot pavement in Washington State (here visiting family) to bang out an hour or so.

Enjoy you're runnin' today too!

SHABAMBO!
-Tellman
--
SHABAMBO!
-Tellman

P.S. check out how many miles I ran today at http://www.RunTellmanRun.com

JUDr. Šteffeková Iveta

Jun 16, 2010, 3:05:21 PM6/16/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com
Congratulation, You are out of University !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today my son have don BC. Exam but i tis not finish of studium only one
finished step :

Arthur Brennan

Jun 16, 2010, 9:08:48 PM6/16/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com, JUDr. Šteffeková Iveta
Good luck to your son on his continuing studies! I think barefoot running helps!

JUDr. Šteffeková Iveta

Jun 17, 2010, 1:13:24 AM6/17/10
to the-barefo...@googlegroups.com

Before i seeing it i say thank you for Your greeting to my son. Great Thank you to You.

Please take also good luck by Your studium :) Iveta not great mum yet