MONETARY HISTORY CALENDAR: July 12 - 18

Greg Coleridge

Jul 12, 2020, 10:18:59 AM7/12/20
to The American Monetary Institute
MONETARY HISTORY CALENDAR
July 12 - 18
--------------------------------

JULY 12

1804 – DEATH OF ALEXANDER HAMILTON, FIRST SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY
He was a major proponent of First Bank of the United States - a privately owned national bank. The name was to deceive people into thinking that money creation was done by the government instead of corporate banks. The nation's money was created out of thin air and loaned to the government - at interest - and to private individuals. Eighty percent of the stock was privately held. Hamilton called the public debt "a public blessing" because of his belief that it would tie the wealthy (who would own the government bonds) of the country to the government, and they would, in turn, provide political support for higher taxes, to make sure that there was enough money in the treasury to pay off their principal and interest.
[Note: We must not be confused. While the musical about his life is a tremendous artistic production, it sugarcoats Hamilton’s efforts to centralize government, deter small “d” democracy and create a privately-owned central bank that enriched already rich investors.]

1895 – BIRTH OF BUCKMINSTER FULLER, AMERICAN ARCHITECT, SYSTEM THEORIST, AUTHOR, DESIGNER, INVENTOR, AND FUTURIST
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
That’s what the National Emergency Employment Defense (NEED) Act does.

2012 – GREEN PARTY USA CALLS FOR MONETARY REFORM IN PARTY PLATFORM
Green Party Platform:
“Democratize Monetary Policy and the Federal Reserve System: Place a 100% reserve requirement on demand deposits in order to return control of monetary policy from private bankers to elected government. Selection of Federal Reserve officers by our elected representatives, not private bankers. Strengthen the regional development mission of the regional Federal Reserve Banks by directing them to target investments to promote key policy objectives, such as high-wage employment, worker and community ownership, ecological production, and inner city reconstruction.”

JULY 13

1832 – CONGRESS FAILS TO OVERRIDE PRESIDENT JACKSON’S VETO TO RENEW THE CHARTER OF THE SECOND NATIONAL BANK OF THE UNITED STATES
In his veto message to renew the misnamed “national bank” (it was actually a private bank controlled/owned by stockholders, a majority of whom were foreigners), Jackson stated: “Controlling our currency, receiving our public monies, and holding thousands of our citizens in dependence…would be more formidable and dangerous than a naval and military power of the enemy.”

1956 – QUOTE OF J.R.R TOLKIEN, AUTHOR (THE HOBBIT AND LORD OF THE RINGS) AND UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD PROFESSOR, IN CONDOUR MAGAZINE
“The main mark of modern governments is that we do not know who governs, de facto any more than de jure. We see the politician and not his backer; still less the backer of the backer; or what is most important of all, the banker of the backer. Enthroned above all, in a manner without parallel in all past, is the veiled prophet of finance, swaying all men living by a sort of magic, and delivering oracles in a language not understood of the people.”

2011 – “GREENING THE DOLLAR,” POSTED ARTICLE BY STEPHEN ZARLENGA
“Real progress on monetary reform is being made. Don’t swallow the widespread negativism spread, out of error or by design, which tries to convince people that there’s no use in fighting for justice.
“That strategy was taught by the Taoist philosopher Sun Tzu in The Art of War. He advised that the best way to defeat opponents is to convince them to surrender by convincing them that victory is impossible. Rather than falling for it, steel yourself! Progress on solving our monetary problems does take time, yet it is being made and will continue to be made.
“For example, I was invited to give a talk at the 2007 US Green Party Convention to explain the need for monetary reform. On advice of an old friend, I called my talk “Greening the Dollar.” Now, four years later, thanks to Dee Berry and Ben Kjelsus of Kansas City, MO, the US Green Party has come forward with a marvelous monetary reform plank for its economic platform! For the first time in our nation’s history, a national party has proposed an effective solution to our malfunctioning monetary system! We applaud their remarkable courage and intelligence to present a genuine alternative to our malformed and unjust money system.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/greening-the-dollar_b_897727?fbclid=IwAR03-w4EvLxwyyiCU_syM7YOW-TPnj5USqVmKDxZtULVWvG4UaDt1LVtpts

2013 – PUBLICATION OF ARTICLE, “EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS ARE PRIVATE…EXCEPT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE”
Most Americans Still Don’t Know that Federal Reserve Banks Are Private Corporations
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/07/everyone-knows-that-the-federal-reserve-banks-are-private-except-the-american-people.html

JULY 14

1833 – DEATH OF WILLIAM M. GOUGE, ADVISOR TO PRESIDENT ANDREW JACKSON, EDITOR OF THE PHILADELPHIA GAZETTE, PUBLISHER OF THE “HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN BANKING SYSTEM” AND A “FISCAL HISTORY OF TEXAS”
"The large extent of bank influence is not easily seen.  We seldom see an identified bank or a money corporation candidate running for office; but when questions arise which affect them, the banks have agents at work, whose operations are the more effective because they are unseen."

JULY 15

2012 – PUBLICATION OF ARTICLE, "ASSET HOLES: US 'LEADERSHIP IN MONEY, CREDIT, CAFR SURPLUS TRILLIONS" BY CARL HERMAN
"The great news is that economic solutions are obvious:
Monetary reform: the US doesn’t have a money supply, but its Orwellian opposite of a ‘debt supply.’ Banks and the Fed create what we use for money as debts, then charge the 99% interest for its use. Monetary reform has government transparency (yes, unimaginable without total Occupy victory) to create debt-free money for direct payment of public goods and services. This has game-changing triple benefits of full-employment as government becomes the employer of last resort, optimal infrastructure, and falling prices because infrastructure contribute more to productivity than cost."

JULY 16

1979 - FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF SAN FRANCISCO AD FOR COMPUTER PROGRAMMERS IN "COMPUTERWORLD MAGAZINE"
"Some people still think we're a branch of the Government. We're not."
[Note: You can’t get any clearer or more succinct than this!]

JULY 17

1862 – PASSAGE OF POSTAGE CURRENCY ACT
The act authorized the issuance of 5, 10, 25, and 50-cent notes – which were needed to substitute for gold, silver and copper coins, which were hoarded. This fractional currency US debt-free notes, sold in perforated sheets like stamps, were redeemable by the US Post Offices at face value in postage stamps until 1876.

JULY 18

BIRTH OF STEPHEN ZARLENGA, DIRECTOR, AMERICAN MONETARY INSTITUTE, AUTHOR OF “THE LOST SCIENCE OF MONEY”
Several quotes….
"I am suggesting that the nature of human affairs requires the government to have four branches, not three, the fourth branch to embody and administer the monetary power."
"When society loses control over its money system, it loses any control it might have had over its destiny."
"One thing we have found is that all serious monetary reformers come to very similar conclusions, whether they start from a Pagan, Jewish, Chirisitan, Islamic or Secular viewpoint. These call for elimination of the Fractional Reserve System – for stopping the use of debt for money, whether public or private."
"Over time, whoever controls the money system controls the nation."
"True monetary reform must take a better path. AMI’s research indicates that money, properly defined, is a legal institution of society and government; not a commodity or economic good of the markets; that if money is a legal institution, then the control of monetary systems can be rightfully viewed as a proper function of government; much as the law courts are.”
“…money is an abstract social power – an institution of the law, becoming money because government receives it in taxes, and having value because of people working in a supportive legal and social structure producing values for life.”

Why this calendar? Many people have questions about the root causes of our economic problems. Some questions involve money, banks and debt. How is money created? Why do banks control its quantity? How has the money system been used to liberate (not often) and oppress (most often) us? And how can the money system be “democratized” to rebuild our economy and society, create jobs and reduce debt? Our goal is to inform, intrigue and inspire through bite size weekly postings listing important events and quotes from prominent individuals (both past and present) on money, banking and how the money system can help people and the planet. We hope the sharing of bits of buried history will illuminate monetary and banking issues and empower you with others to create real economic and political justice. This calendar is the original project of the Northeast Ohio American Friends Service Committee. Adele Looney, Phyllis Titus, Donna Schall, Leah Davis, Alice Francini, Deb Jose and Greg Coleridge helped in its development. It is currently updated by Greg Coleridge. Please forward this to others and encourage them to subscribe. To subscribe/unsubscribe or to comment on any entry, email monetarycalendar@yahoo.com
To see the calendar year-to-date, go to https://monetarycalendar.wordpress.com/
A second historical calendar, the REAL Democracy History Calendar, in many ways complements this calendar. For information, go to https://realdemocracyhistorycalendar.wordpress.com/about/