MONETARY HISTORY CALENDAR: April 12 - 18

Greg Coleridge

Apr 12, 2020, 9:03:18 AM4/12/20
to The American Monetary Institute
MONETARY HISTORY CALENDAR
April 12 - 18
---------------------------------

APRIL 12

1866 – CONGRESS PASSES THE CONTRACTION ACT
The Act authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to begin retiring Greenbacks (public debt-free money first issued by the Lincoln Administration) in circulation and to contract the money supply. By 1876, two-thirds of the nation's money had been called in by the bankers. A contraction of the money supply when demand is high causes depressions, which is what happened from 1873-79.

1910 – DEATH OF WILLIAM GRAHAM SUMNER, PROFESSOR, YALE UNIVERSITY, MONETARY THEORIST
"For as the currency question is of first importance and we cannot solve it or escape it by ignoring it.  We have got to face it and the best way to begin is not by wrangling about speculative opinions as to untried schemes but to go back to history and try to get hold of some firmly established principles."

1945 – DEATH OF PRESIDENT FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
 “The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the Government ever since the days of Andrew Jackson … The country is going through a repetition of Jackson’s fight with the Bank of the United States – - only on a far bigger and broader basis.”

APRIL 13

1743 – BIRTH OF THOMAS JEFFERSON, THIRD PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
"This institution (the Bank of England) is one of the most deadly hostility against the principles of our Constitution…suppose an emergency should occur…an institution like this…in a critical moment might overthrow the government."
“And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
“Bank-paper must be suppressed, and the circulating medium must be restored to the nation to whom it belongs.”

2015 – DEATH OF EDUARDO GALEANO, URUGUAYAN JOURNALIST, WRITER AND NOVELIST
Great quote for monetary reformers: "The system steals with one hand what it lends with the other."
[Note: This is never more true than the present time. The $450 billion corporate slush fund bailout given to the Treasury Department in the recent economic “stimulus” bill was handed over the Federal Reserve, which in turn handed it over to several major banking corporations to distribute to “needy” mega corporations. These banks will profit from the administration of the funds.]

APRIL 14

1948 – RETIREMENT OF MARRINER S. ECCLES AS CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF THE US FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD
"That is what our money system is. If there were no debts in our money system, there wouldn't be any money."

2018 – WORKSHOP, “’WHAT’S MONEY GOT TO DO WITH IT?’ WOMEN AND MONETARY REFORM” AT 3RD ANNUAL 4W SUMMIT ON WOMEN, GENDER AND WELL-BEING AND 41ST WISCONSIN WOMEN AND GENDER STUDIES CONFERENCE, MADISON, WI
“As Earthlings and females, we understand the need to protect habitat and future generations. But doing so requires monetary and economic stability for caregivers, their families and communities. Unfortunately, due to a flaw in how legislators institutionalized it 105 years ago, our money system systematically and increasingly impoverishes most living creatures to serve the interests of the very few. Ironically, habitat collapse and economic instability caused by our monetary system imperil rich and poor alike. It is crucial to understand this flaw and how our money system currently works, who benefits from and who pays for it, and how we can correct it. This interactive session with friends of the American Monetary Institute (AMI) will help participants to explore these issues and how to become part of a growing national and international movement for sovereign money reform. We will tell you about a suite of three concrete monetary correctives that together will create a level playing field from which we can eliminate poverty, end debt slavery, and sustainably rebuild our earthly commons for a thriving future.”
Facilitators/speakers were Susan Peters, Lucille Eckrich, Mary Sanderson and Bo-Young Lim – all affiliated with the American Monetary Institute

2019 – "JESUS & THE MONEY SYSTEM - A PALM SUNDAY REFLECTION" BY REV. DELMAN COATES ARTICLE PUBLISHED
“Debt-based money and not simply the need for more financial regulations create the conditions for the moral hazard and speculative activity of Wall Street. Their power over the money supply, and the power to create what is used as money out of nothing give them almost divine power to control society…
“Dr. King said, “If a soul lives in darkness sins will be committed. But the guilty one is not the one who commits the sin, but the one who causes the darkness.” The nation’s debt-based money system is the cause of the darkness, and it is not until we have the prophetic courage to envision an alternative world that we will create a monetary system that benefits the many rather than the few. It has been done before. It will take knowledge and courage to do it again, but we must be willing to be like Jesus and overturn the tables of today’s moneychangers.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jesus-the-money-system-a-palm-sunday-reflection_us_58e2a7eae4b09deecf0e18f1

APRIL 15

1865 – ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT ABRAHAM LINCOLN
Under Lincoln’s administration, the US Government issued 450 million “Greenbacks” – interest and inflation free money. They weren’t government bill, bonds or any other debt-bearing note. This was money not borrowed from banks, but created (as authorized in the US Constitution, Article 1, Sec 8) by the government to meet the nation’s needs.

Normally every year, though  extended until July 15 in 2020 — TAX DAY
Why are taxes so high? Why does it feel we aren't getting back in programs and services what we put in? Part of the reason has to do with the hundreds of billions of dollars we spend every year paying interest on the national debt. That interest goes disproportionately to the very wealthy. And that interest would not exist if instead of borrowing that money (including from banking corporations), we created interest-free and inflation-free money as stipulated by Congress in Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution. Why be enslaved by debt when we could be liberated by democratic money?

APRIL 16

1804 – DEATH OF WILLIAM MACLAY, SENATOR OF PENNSLYVANIA IN THE 18TH CENTURY
"Bank bills are promissory notes, and, of course, not money. I see no objection in this quarter."

1915 – DEATH OF NELSON ALDRICH, LEADER OF REPUBLICAN PARTY IN THE US SENATE
Aldrich was a key proponent of the Aldrich-Vreeland Act, a bill creating a National Monetary Commission in 1908, which studied the problem of monetary instability following the financial Panic of 1907. The Commission played a pivotal role in calling for “reform” of the US monetary system. The Act also established the “Aldrich-Vreeland system” which through the Comptroller of the Currency authorized some banks to issue new money. This helped the US deal with the financial crisis associated with WWI. The expanded money power of the government, however, was meant to be short-lived. The final volume of the Commission’s report called for a privately owned central bank, the “National Reserve Association,” in which “[c]ontrol was to be exercised completely by private bankers.” Passage of this Act was a stepping-stone to passage of the Federal Reserve Act in 1913.

APRIL 17

1790 – DEATH OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
Franklin printed the paper money for several of the American colonies, most of which developed their own currency – separate from British money. This was an important revolutionary step toward independence, as well as essential to conduct economic transactions in the colonies since British money was in short supply.
“In the colonies we issue our own money. It is called Colonial Scrip. We issue it in proper proportion to the demands of trade and industry to make the products pass easily from the producers to the consumers. In this manner, creating for ourselves our own paper money, we control its purchasing power, and we have no interest to pay to no one."
[Note: This from Geri Perry, author of “Climate Change, Land Use and Monetary Policy: The New Trifecta”: Franklin made his statement without acknowledging the fact the the British government returned to the colonies their right to coin money in 1773 via an "Act to explain and amend" the 1764 measure. The amendment said that the colonies would henceforth be able to issue money "for the publick Advantage" which could be made "a legal Tender to the publick Treasuries" in payment of taxes and other dues. That is why this complaint was left out of the long list of complaints contained in the Declaration of Independence.]

1837- BIRTH OF JP MORGAN, US FINANCIER AND BANKER
John Pierpont Morgan dominated corporate finance and industrial consolidation during his time. His empire consisted of banks but also hundreds of other corporations via interlocking corporate directors and financial investments. The “House of Morgan” was also one of the key players in organizing politically and backing financially the campaign to pass the Federal Reserve Act in 1913, creating the largely private Federal Reserve System.

APRIL 18

2012 – PUBLICATION OF DAILY CENSORED ARTICLE "CARL HERMAN EXPLAINS WORKING WITH THE CRIMINAL 1%: TWO UN SUMMITS, MONETARY REFORM”
"The 99% must achieve factual command of the basic facts how money and credit are created, or else continue their debt-damned existence under an oligarchic and Robber Baron-era structure.
Monetary and credit reform can be understood with three simple areas of facts that are taught in basic economics and easily verified:
1. The US does not have a money supply; we have its Orwellian opposite as a debt supply. This is because the US leading banks won legal right through passage of the 1913 Federal Reserve Act to have private banks and the Fed create debt for what we use as money, and then charge the 99% for its use.
2. The policy choice of a debt supply compounded with interest cause ever-increasing aggregate debt that can never be repaid....
3. Monetary reform creates debt-free money that extinguishes the debt, and allows government to become employer of last resort for infrastructure investment (hard and soft....
Obviously, monetary and credit reform benefits 100% of humanity because it guarantees full employment, optimal infrastructure, and no government debt/interest cost...
Americans cannot be responsible citizens without understanding this fundamental structure of money."
http://www.dailycensored.com/carl-herman-explains-working-with-criminal-1-two-un-summits-monetary-reform/

Why this calendar? Many people have questions about the root causes of our economic problems. Some questions involve money, banks and debt. How is money created? Why do banks control its quantity? How has the money system been used to liberate (not often) and oppress (most often) us? And how can the money system be “democratized” to rebuild our economy and society, create jobs and reduce debt? Our goal is to inform, intrigue and inspire through bite size weekly postings listing important events and quotes from prominent individuals (both past and present) on money, banking and how the money system can help people and the planet. We hope the sharing of bits of buried history will illuminate monetary and banking issues and empower you with others to create real economic and political justice. This calendar is the original project of the Northeast Ohio American Friends Service Committee. Adele Looney, Phyllis Titus, Donna Schall, Leah Davis, Alice Francini, Deb Jose and Greg Coleridge helped in its development. It is currently updated by Greg Coleridge. Please forward this to others and encourage them to subscribe. To subscribe/unsubscribe or to comment on any entry, email monetary...@yahoo.com
To see the calendar year-to-date, go to https://monetarycalendar.wordpress.com/
A second historical calendar, the REAL Democracy History Calendar, in many ways complements this calendar. For information, go to https://realdemocracyhistorycalendar.wordpress.com/about/