Green Bees?

Phil Stob

Jul 26, 2024, 5:38:44 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 26
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
Ok, I have never seen this before.   I have colony that moved into some boxes a couple weeks ago.  When going through them and sorting it out, I saw green bees.  About 5 of them.  They seem normal in every other aspect of their being.   Anyone seen anything like this?   Of course the photo doesn't do it justice, as it was a glowing antifreeze green color.

Pondering life's odd inconsistencies.

Cheers, Phil
IMG_4702.jpg
IMG_4701.jpg
IMG_4697.jpg

Paula Breen

Jul 26, 2024, 5:44:18 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 26
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com

I am guessing that is pollen on their bodies from either kanuka or Chinese tallow trees. I see the bees all over them right now and it even turns the nectar a weird antifreeze sort of color. Not sure which tree is the culprit but I'd bet it's one of those.  We are in a full blown nectarnflow in my neighborhood. Wish the honey tasted good.