Link to BeeHero survey about hive sensor stuff if anyone's interested

Rob Mathews, 2024 ACBA President

Jul 10, 2024, 6:55:53 PM (7 days ago) Jul 10
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
I was talking to someone at a commercial company, BeeHero, that currently makes hive sensors and such for commercial growers. They want to get into the hobby beekeeper market, and they're trying to collect info with a survey. If you'd like to participate in it, here you go:

They're giving away ten $100 Dadant gift cards to random people who fill it out. (They seem fairly reputable, and the only personal information the survey collects is your email address via Google forms, but I can't vouch for them otherwise.)

Out of interest, do people use sensors in their hives, and if so, is it useful? I feel like I'm the target market for this (I do a lot of web and Arduino type stuff), but I like my beehives analog and paper-based. I even stopped using an app to keep inspection data: I find looking back at the paper notes is soothing, getting me in a slower mindset to inspect.

ralp...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2024, 1:32:04 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
I have tried two  hive monitors and I did not like either of them. I like using paper and pencil. I find it less cumbersome than trying to look up an app and link to the Wi-Fi, etc., etc..
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2024, at 3:55 PM, Rob Mathews, 2024 ACBA President <r...@tigertech.com> wrote:

[...]

Maryly Snow

Jul 11, 2024, 1:51:59 PM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
I like paper documents, but I imagine a hive monitor might tell me the internal temperature, which would be a sign of hive health. If an electronic device could also tell me hive weight that would be cool too.

I have a new ceiling fan in my house. The only off-on switch is an app on my iphone. Sure, it took me a little fiddling around to get accustomed to it, but now it’s easy. Much easier than walking upstairs to turn it off and off. With the app I can control the speed and check the air temperature too.

Maryly