More bees for the beeless

Paula Breen

May 11, 2024, 7:46:49 PMMay 11
to Alameda County Beekeepers Assn.
Anyone still with no bees? I just had another bait hive move in. It is 4 good  frames of bees. They are very excited and can't wait to meet you!  Text me if interested. I'll just need my stuff back, no rush. We are in San Leandro.

Paula

Paula Breen

May 11, 2024, 8:54:48 PMMay 11
to Alameda County Beekeepers Assn.
Bees have been claimed. Thanks!

Philip von Furstenberg

May 12, 2024, 1:21:43 AMMay 12
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
I don’t have any yet.

Jon Reining

May 14, 2024, 7:48:08 PMMay 14
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
I committed the cardinal sin of accidentally killing my queen bee.  Looking for a queen/hive.  Happy to trade equipment.  I live in Piedmont.  Thanks!  Jon 510.684.6946

Mimi Edwards

May 14, 2024, 9:28:19 PMMay 14
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
Jon, its still prime mating season.  If your hive has open brood (aka wet brood, aka eggs and larvae) and 2 frames of bees then it will reQueen in 16 days (probably less as they often take eggs that are 2-3 days old).  In 10 days check hive to see if there are capped Queen cells.  Then a month from today you should have a laying Queen.  The upside to reQueening now is 1) no new brood for nurse bees to take care of so more of them are converted to foragers and you should get HIGHER honey yield 2) It forces hive into brood break - breaking up cycle of mite reproduction and lowering mite rates without any chemicals 3) Newly mated Queen most likely won't swarm this season but next year.

If you don't see laying Queen in a month and you have a second hive then you can put a frame of open brood and try again as long as you have enough nurse bees.

Mimi