Can you water the pollinator garden this week?

Phil Stob

Jun 20, 2024, 12:18:28 AMJun 20
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
...Or next.   I am traveling for 2 weeks, and would hate to see some of those tender young sunflowers perish in the solstice sun.    Jennifer is going on the 26th or so, but need someone there this weekend if you can spare some time in the garden.  The number of bees and the diversity is increasing.  The Cardoons should start blooming, and that will bring a bunch of different bees.

Call or write.

Cheers, Phil

J R

Jun 20, 2024, 11:38:46 AMJun 20
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
How many do you need ?
By the way I found a new way to clean them up no chemical , no hard work , it is dirty , use an air compressor sorry guys the small pancake type does not have enough compressed air to be viable I have one , keep the frames on the sun , if in doubt put clear plastic film on top of it and blast the cell clean , rewax and reuse , if your frame have a dirty origin bleach them out and rince well . Phil you are welcome to borrow my air gun .
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2024, at 9:18 PM, Phil Stob <phil...@gmail.com> wrote:

...Or next.   I am traveling for 2 weeks, and would hate to see some of those tender young sunflowers perish in the solstice sun.    Jennifer is going on the 26th or so, but need someone there this weekend if you can spare some time in the garden.  The number of bees and the diversity is increasing.  The Cardoons should start blooming, and that will bring a bunch of different bees.

Call or write.

Cheers, Phil

Robert L Mathews

Jun 20, 2024, 1:01:44 PMJun 20
to Bee Talk
Hi Phil! No worries, I'll be there this Saturday and next and will take care of it. Thanks!

--
Robert L Mathews

Phil Stob

Jul 6, 2024, 2:42:56 AM (11 days ago) Jul 6
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
Thanks all who watered the garden the past weeks.   I visited today, and the garden is growing very well.  Most of our "weeds" have receded with the lack of rain and hot weather.  that is of course, except the bindweed, which seems to flourish this time of year.  It will be our battle in this garden.

The sunflowers and lavender are growing up at a steady rate, the lilly pad bloomed beautifully today, as have the Mullien, and Scabiosa.    The maximilian sunflowers are now 4 feet tall, and are going to be fantastic in a couple of months.   The cardoons (close relative to the artichoke) is now in bloom, and attracting lots of bees, including the bumbles.

We will hold off on planting much more for the next few months, and work on adding compost, and battling the bindweed.    We will resume planting in September as the weather cools a bit more.

As I look more at pollinator plants, I notice different plants that have lots of bees on them. Some of my new HOT plant picks are:
- Cilantro that has been let to bolt.   It puts up a great bloom of flowers about 2 foot high and lots of pollinators love it. Then you get some tasty coriander seeds. (try them green right off the plant, its pretty good)
- Catmint, (Nepeta mussiniiis a tough as nails sub-shrub that flowers for a long time throughout summer, and attracts a wide range of pollinators.   If you buy one, make sure it's in bloom when you buy it to ensure that it has lots of flowers, as the plants are a bit variable in their blooming.  Lots of different varieties out there, and blue flowers are best for bees.
- Vitex, or Chaste Tree is just coming into bloom now, and attracts a wide range of pollinators.  I've taken a lot of cuttings, so we won't have them in the garden until next year.

Our next work day in the garden is scheduled for July 20.

Cheers , Phil

MLuskin

Jul 6, 2024, 12:21:16 PM (11 days ago) Jul 6
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
That’s great that the garden is doing so well. Thanks very much. Is for all your work. Just one thing - please no cilantro. The plant smells so strong that it can be detected at quite a distance. I for one wouldn’t be able to get anywhere near the garden. Thanks!
Merry