Join the County Fair Committee! (And beekeeping is not a crime)

Rob Mathews, 2023 ACBA President

Mar 17, 2023, 3:56:46 PM3/17/23
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
Hi folks,

At the in-person meeting on Tuesday, Norma Brooks signed up several people to be on the county fair committee. But she still needs other volunteers: If you're willing to help, please email fa...@alamedabees.org to sign up.

If you're not sure what all this county fair talk is: every year, the club hosts a booth at the Alameda County Fair, with live bees! The county fair committee plans the booth and organizes volunteers to staff it. This year's fair theme is Summer Vibes... Just what we need after a long winter. (Volunteers get free fair tickets, too!)

While I'm thinking of the in-person meeting, that reminds me that Phil Stob announced some good news there, which is that beekeeping laws have been significantly improved in Fremont. As I understand it, Fremont beekeepers are no longer required to register their hives (which few people did anyway), and if there's a problem, the Fremont authorities will turn to the Fremont beekeeping group for help resolving it. If Phil reads this, maybe he can chime in here with details I've missed. In honor of this accomplishment, I've temporarily put a picture of Phil's excellent BEEKEEPING IS NOT A CRIME bumper sticker on the website homepage. Thanks and congratulations to Phil and everyone involved for their efforts.