Audio story about beekeepers

Julia Haney

Jun 25, 2024, 2:56:05 PMJun 25
to The Alameda County Beekeepers Association
Hello Alameda beekeepers,

I'm a reporter with KALW and am exploring doing an audio story on beekeeping.

I'm looking to speak with people who either have overcome a fear of bees or are carrying on a beekeeping legacy (e.g. had parents or grandparents who were beekeepers).

If you're open to talking, please reach out!

Thank you,
Julia Haney

Jerry Przybylski

Jul 1, 2024, 12:36:38 PMJul 1
to the-alameda-county-b...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay replying. I didn’t notice your email until today.
Many beekeepers have a family member, parent or more distant relative, who kept or keeps bees.
Two of my nephews in the area took it up after I did (me in 2011 when I retired from a job at a national lab).
My dad kept bees on a dairy farm in Wisconsin from the early 1930’s until we moved off the farm in 1960 I was 10 years old in 1960).  (51 year gap)

Since 2011 there seems to have been the popping of an urban beekeeping fad. (Some neighborhoods have too many beekeepers, and that has negative consequences).
The bee club had fewer than 100 members in 2011. There are over 400 now. There was a COVID spike in membership too.

If you had a mortal fear of bees, why would you take up beekeeping in the first place?  Surely not voluntarily.

The ACBA BeeTalk google group isn’t closed. You could join it and send out a request like the one below.

eb3df701-07d9-4ea1-a611-21c03d748d28.jpg [ACBA BeeTalk] Discussion Group Link:

ACBA has a Google-group for members to talk about bees, share information, and ask beekeeping questions of each other. It is a great way to learn from each other. It can be accessed through the Alameda County Beekeepers Association website or these links:
For those who are using Gmail:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/the-alameda-county-beekeepers-association
Those not using Gmail email addresses can subscribe to the list by sending an email (using the email account they want to use for the list) to: the-alameda-county-beekee...@googlegroups.com

(If you want to join the club, the dues are $10. Https://alamedabees.org/membership )
A club meeting is a place where you can meet beekeepers in person, or the upcoming club picnic (in Sunol).

The club has a booth in building Q at the alameda county fair, and will have a spot at the solan-stroll.

BTW, our club for our county, I was told, handles more honey bee swarm calls than the state of New Jersey. Unfortunately I don’t know how to verify that because the person who told me passed away a couple of years ago.

If you want to talk, call this afternoon. 510-407-1146
Jerry

Btw, there is a reporter named Horowitz who is a member, and then there’s Mea McNeil.

There are many story ideas in this hobby.

-- Siri apologizes 4 autocomplete errors...

On Jun 25, 2024, at 11:56 AM, Julia Haney <juliah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Alameda beekeepers,