THATCamp SE Applications Open

Brian Croxall

Dec 1, 2010, 12:01:09 AM12/1/10
to thatcamp-southeast
Hi all,

Just a quick note to mention that the applications for THATCamp Southeast are now officially open at http://southeast2011.thatcamp.org/apply-to-attend. We're accepting applications until 9 January, but don't let that lead you to procrastinate!

Also, we have yet to receive any ideas or requests for BootCamp sessions. What would you like to see featured at TC SE?

Finally, we'll be asking all of you to help us with marketing of the Camp to your departments, campuses, and local libraries, museums, and arts/cultural heritage institutions. If you've got a hankering to make a flyer, go for it. Otherwise, we hope to have one to distribute very soon. (Hopefully before everyone is off for the winter holidays.)

Thanks!
Brian

Katy Crowther

Dec 1, 2010, 9:53:54 AM12/1/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brian

I'll be applying asap.  Although I missed the planning meetings, I'd also be very willing to help with any planning/organizing/running of THATCamp if you need it.  If not, I'll just be a happy participant.  I'd also like to do the Boot camp, so I'll do some brainstorming on things I'd like to see.

Oh, and I'd be happy to put up flyers at Tech.  You know you have a very interested and willing bunch of volunteers amongst the Brittain fellows...

best
Katy

Ted Friedman

Dec 1, 2010, 11:02:49 AM12/1/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian -

I just submitted my application, but I'm not sure it went through - after I clicked Submit the screen just went blank and the URL (http://southeast2011.thatcamp.org/apply-to-attend) didn't change. Did it go through?

Re: BootCamp: I'd love anything on game design. Specifically, what are the bare-bones tools that might make it possible for a non-programmer to put together a game - whether Mac, iPhone, browser-based, or via Facebook.

-- Ted Friedman

Mark Sample

Dec 1, 2010, 11:19:26 AM12/1/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Ted,

Game design a great idea for a bootcamp session. Maybe something with MIT's Scratch or Inform 7, both of which are relatively easy to get started with.

Mark

Sherman Dorn

Dec 1, 2010, 11:36:30 AM12/1/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
As someone who was addicted to the Hitchhiker's Guide text game in its early incarnation, I definitely appreciate Inform 7 -- but I wouldn't exactly call it easy. I suspect CubePoints would be easier to dig into for someone thinking about "gamifying" a course or part of a course.

Sherman

Michael J. Altman

Dec 1, 2010, 11:21:36 PM12/1/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
As a newbie to a lot of the DH stuff I would definitely be interested in something on content management systems--Wordpress, Omeka, etc. I think such a session would be useful to a lot of people in the area who aren't quite sure how to use or incorporate digital technologies into their teaching/work.

-Mike

Michael J. Altman
PhD Student, American Religious Cultures
Graduate Division of Religion
Emory University

Susan Wells Parham

Dec 2, 2010, 11:44:09 AM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Do you want us to distribute info about THATCamp applications to various email lists?

Susan
--
Susan Wells Parham
Research Data Librarian

Miriam Posner

Dec 2, 2010, 12:54:50 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Susan,

Yes, and thanks so much for asking! We're finalizing the flier as we speak and should get that and a suggested email to you very soon -- but feel free to spread the news however you'd like.

All best,
Miriam

Miriam Posner

Dec 2, 2010, 12:56:06 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
One addendum: if you post info to a list, could you email me or Brian (bc.ro...@gmail.com) to let us know? We're trying to avoid double-emailing people.

Miriam

Brian Croxall

Dec 2, 2010, 1:11:45 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Katy,

Thanks for the offer of help. We'll be sure to let you know if we need anything. We will certainly call on you to help spread the word at Tech and we're hoping, as Miriam indicated, to get that information out as soon as possible.

Brian

Brian Croxall

Dec 2, 2010, 1:20:34 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted,

Thanks for your email. I can confirm that we've got your application in the spreadsheet. But thanks for letting us know about the screen going blank. The URL shouldn't change; instead, you should get a confirmation message after submitting. We actually got you twice in the spreadsheet, so maybe you saw that the second time?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Croxall

Dec 2, 2010, 1:22:10 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
I agree that game design would be something interesting for a discussion. The key would be to make sure that the conversation was introductory enough to make it fit the BootCamp paradigm.

Does anyone have the requisite skill set for such a class or can recommend someone who could tackle it?
Brian

Brian Croxall

Dec 2, 2010, 1:22:47 PM12/2/10
to thatcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

We've been getting a lot of requests for the CMS workshop. I think we can say for sure that that one will happen.
Brian