[Take Action] February 11: The Day We Fight Back

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Feb 4, 2014, 12:18:59 AM2/4/14
to Thai Netizen

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Take Action] February 11: The Day We Fight Back
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:27:04 -0800
From: Katitza Rodriguez | EFF International Team <kat...@eff.org>

Dear colleagues,
As you may have heard, Access, the Electronic Frontier Foundation,
Privacy International, the Center for Internet and Society India, and
hundreds of other groups worldwde are building up for a major day of
action on February 11th—The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance
(https://thedaywefightback.org). Bloggers, organizations, companies, and
websites will be publicly demonstrating their opposition to unchecked
Internet spying. A key part of the day’s campaign will be to encourage
Internet users to join you as signatories of the 13 Principles.

We hope you can join us in making your own mark on the day, and joining
our worldwide coalition.

As a coalition participant, there are seven actions you can take:

1. Join the coalition: Point to the Day We Fight Back (DWFB) website
from your own website. The DWFB site will allow people from around the
world to sign onto our 13 Principles, demonstrating their opposition to
mass surveillance by the NSA, GCHQ, and other intelligence agencies. If
you and your colleagues sign up on the main website
(https://thedaywefightback.org), you will receive information on the
day’s events.

2. Sign the Principles: Tell your friends to sign the 13 Principles! We
will be revamping our global action center at
http://en.necessaryandproportionate.org/take-action to align the message
with the DWFB day of action. We’ll continue to use the Principles to
show world leaders that privacy is a human right and should be protected
regardless of frontiers.

3. Send an email: If you need an excuse to contact your members or
colleagues about this topic, February 11th is the perfect time to tell
them to contact local politicians about Internet spying, encourage them
to take their own actions, and understand the importance of fighting
against mass surveillance.

4. Social media: Tweet! Post on Facebook and Google Plus! We want to
make as big of a splash as possible. We want this to be a truly global
campaign, with every country involved. The more people are signing the
Principles, the more world leaders will hear our demands to put a stop
to mass spying at home and overseas.

5. Tools: Develop memes, games, social media tools, educational
materials, and infographics: whatever else you can to encourage others
to participate.

6. Be creative: plan your own actions and pledge. Take to the streets.
Promote the Principles in your own country. Then, let us know what your
plan is, so we can link and re-broadcast your efforts.

7. Join the conversation in Reddit and tell your fellow friends your
plans for Feb. 11.
http://www.reddit.com/r/thedaywefightback/comments/1wbx05/the_day_we_fight_back_a_call_to_the_international

All 7 (or more!) would be great, but honestly the movement benefits from
everything you do. Let us know your plans and actions by emailing
rig...@eff.org.

To stand a chance of stopping mass surveillance, we all—organizations,
platforms, and individuals from around the world—need to mobilize as
aggressively as Internet users have in the past, to fight against
censorship. Let me know if you're interested in joining us.

Kind Regards,

Elonnai Hickok, Center for Internet and Society India
Tamir Israel, Staff lawyer, CIPPIC
Katherine Maher, Director of Strategy and Engagement, Access
Carly Nyst, Legal Director, Privacy International
Katitza Rodriguez, International Rights Director, Electronic Frontier
Foundation

Supporters

Access (International)
Amnesty International USA
Asociación por los Derechos Civiles (Argentina)
Asociacion de Internautas - Spain (Spain)
Asociación Colombiana de Usuarios de Internet (Colombia)
Bolo Bhi (Pakistan)
CCC (Germany)
Centre for Internet and Society (India)
CIPPIC (Canada)
ContingenteMX (Mexico)
Digitale Gesellschaft (Germany)
Digital Courage (Germany)
Electronic Frontier Foundation (International)
Electronic Frontiers Australia (Australia)
Global Voices Advocacy (International)
Hiperderecho (Peru)
ICT Consumers Association of Kenya
La Quadrature du Net (France)
Open Rights Group (UK)
Oficina Anti Vigilancia (Brasil)
OpenMedia.org (Canada/International)
OpenNet Korea (South Korea)
Panoptykon Foundation (Poland)
Privacy International (International)
PEN International (International)
TEDIC (Paraguay)
RedPaTodos (Colombia)
ShareDefense (Balkans)
Unwanted Witness (Uganda)

Electronic Frontier Foundation
815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 USA