Please set TT_NAME_ID_PREFERRED_FAMILY for Arundina

Richard Hughes

Apr 23, 2014, 12:20:30 PM4/23/14
to thai-linux...@googlegroups.com
At the moment the family is not common for the different files, for instance:

ArundinaSans-Oblique.ttf = "Arundina Sans"
ArundinaSansMono-Oblique.ttf = "Arundina Sans Mono"
ArundinaSerif.ttf = "Arundina Serif"

As I understand it, TT_NAME_ID_PREFERRED_FAMILY is supposed to be the same for all files in the same high-level family, and this seems to be what most other fonts do in Linux. For the next release could you please set the PreferredFamily key to just "Arundina" in all three files. This allows component installers like gnome-software to group the fonts together rather than showing them as separate entries.

Thanks,

Richard.

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan

Apr 24, 2014, 2:43:10 AM4/24/14
to thai-linux...@googlegroups.com, Richard Hughes
Changes have been committed to SVN. Thanks for the suggestion.

http://linux.thai.net/websvn/wsvn/software.fonts-sipa-arundina?op=comp&compare[]=%2F@97&compare[]=%2F@98

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/

Richard Hughes

Apr 24, 2014, 3:39:01 AM4/24/14
to Theppitak Karoonboonyanan, thai-linux...@googlegroups.com
On 24 April 2014 07:43, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changes have been committed to SVN. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great, thanks for the speedy fix!

Richard.

Richard Hughes

Apr 24, 2014, 3:57:12 AM4/24/14
to Theppitak Karoonboonyanan, thai-linux...@googlegroups.com
Ohh, I think this is the right list also for:

TlwgTypist-Oblique.ttf
TlwgTypo-Oblique.ttf
TlwgMono-Oblique.ttf
TlwgTypewriter-Oblique.ttf

Could these also have a TT_NAME_ID_PREFERRED_FAMILY set please?
Something like "Tlwg" or "Thai Tlwg" would allow them to be grouped
together as a family. Adding this for any other fonts you maintain
that you think belong in the same family would be welcome indeed.
Thanks!

Richard.

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan

Apr 24, 2014, 5:30:00 AM4/24/14
to Richard Hughes, thai-linux...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Richard Hughes <hugh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ohh, I think this is the right list also for:
>
> TlwgTypist-Oblique.ttf
> TlwgTypo-Oblique.ttf
> TlwgMono-Oblique.ttf
> TlwgTypewriter-Oblique.ttf
>
> Could these also have a TT_NAME_ID_PREFERRED_FAMILY set please?
> Something like "Tlwg" or "Thai Tlwg" would allow them to be grouped
> together as a family.

This case is questionable. The term Tlwg here historically reflects
the foundry, but it doesn't apply any more as more fonts are added
to the suite. No Tlwg prefix is added ever.

However, there are some relations in this set:

- TlwgMono and TlwgTypewriter are of the same exact shapes,
except that TlwgMono is purely monospace, while TlwgTypewriter
is monospace with zero-width combining characters.
They are split by the use cases.

- TlwgTypo and TlwgTypist are similar, except that TlwgTypo (the
purely monospace counterpart) also features kerning & anchoring
for controlling combining character advancement, so that it
behaves as a TlwgTypist equivalence. For this pair, TlwgTypo is
an experimental replacement of TlwgTypist, and the replacement
may take place in the future when it's technically sound enough.

- In fact, TlwgTypo/TlwgTypist was originally a redesign of
TlwgMono/TlwgTypewriter for more elegance. So, the former could
finally replace the latter in the end, depending on users' feedbacks.

So, in a sense, they are related somehow. Meanwhile, they also
compete one another to be the best candidate for users.
Thus, whether they should be treated as a single family is still
questionable to me.

> Adding this for any other fonts you maintain
> that you think belong in the same family would be welcome indeed.

I'll consider this for the rest fonts.

Richard Hughes

Apr 24, 2014, 6:02:29 AM4/24/14
On 24 April 2014 10:30, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - TlwgMono and TlwgTypewriter are of the same exact shapes,
> except that TlwgMono is purely monospace, while TlwgTypewriter
> is monospace with zero-width combining characters.
> They are split by the use cases.

Right, I don't know the history, but they certainly looked like they
belonged in a "style set".

> - In fact, TlwgTypo/TlwgTypist was originally a redesign of
> TlwgMono/TlwgTypewriter for more elegance. So, the former could
> finally replace the latter in the end, depending on users' feedbacks.

Right, that would be awesome to do. Less is more :)

> I'll consider this for the rest fonts.

Thanks.

Richard

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan

Jan 9, 2019, 5:15:51 AM1/9/19
to thai-linux...@googlegroups.com, Richard Hughes
Hi,

Sorry for digging this old issue, as I recently found a problem due to it.
This commit appears to cause GTK+ font selector list all Arundina's
different faces under the same family, without distinguishing Sans,
Sans Mono, and Serif from one another. See the attached screenshot.
I don't know when the problem began. I've just found it today.

Removing the TTF Preferred Family does fix the problem.
So, I think I'll revert it. Or do you have a better solution?

Note: As we have moved to GitHub, the commit URL has become:
https://github.com/tlwg/fonts-arundina/commit/5fd33990b56ad50894d3faebc30fe60c243e3474
20190109-arundina-chooser.png

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan

Jan 9, 2019, 11:55:21 PM1/9/19
to thai-linux...@googlegroups.com, Richard Hughes
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
Update: I've committed the change:
https://github.com/tlwg/fonts-arundina/commit/72f31aa80699bb4864457b6f34c1eb2455302591

Instead of removing Preferred Family, I've set the Preferred Family
separately instead, as oblique/italic renaming is still useful here.