Unable to convert this text!

omn...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2024, 8:26:17 AMFeb 15
to TextSoap
Hey and good day,

As a daily user of TextSoap, I've always been able to convert texts into plain text or otherwise, not this time.

Font is STIX Two Math, whatever this is.

Copied this from twitter/X

Sentence starts with: ”Exposing Shari Mendes: … ”

What is this?

I don't know how it will turn out on this medium-.
/
with best regards,
Omar KN, Stockholm, Sweden,

⚡️𝗘𝘅𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗶 𝗠𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝘀: 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗜𝘀𝗿𝗮𝗲𝗹𝗶 𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗭𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗥𝗮𝗽𝗲 𝗛𝗼𝗮𝘅 ⚡️

Mark Munz

Feb 15, 2024, 9:57:23 PMFeb 15
to text...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to convert the Lightning bolts to plain text? Is that the question?
How does pasting work when you try it with TextEdit?

Are you starting with a Rich Text document, or using a plain text document/clipboard workspace?

Mark Munz
unmarked software
https://textsoap.com/

omn...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2024, 9:19:00 AMFeb 16
to TextSoap

No, I cannot convert the text itself (which is between the Lightning bolts) to plain text.

So if I paste the text into TS and apply the Plain Text Cleaner, nothing much happens.

or
If I then try >Format > Make Plain Text, nothing much happens.

If I chose another font for it in TS … , nothing much happens.

In BBEdit any text thrown at it, usually resolves to plain text, not so with this string!

Also strange when I paste it into Terminal!

Maybe I should ask the person who put it into his twitter post (Link in 1st post)

/
with best regards,
Omar KN, Stockholm, Sweden

Jason Pratt

Mar 13, 2024, 10:12:51 PMMar 13
to TextSoap
The reason that TextSoap can't convert the text is because it's not really text.  It's a string of homoglyphs (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homoglyph).  These are characters that LOOK like text to your eyes, but they are really a wide assortment of Unicode glyphs like "Mathematical Bold Capital C" (https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+1D402).

It's easy for a human to look at the glyphs and figure out what they mean.  But it's incredibly hard for computers to do the same thing.  That's why you get so much spam that looks like "𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤_𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫_𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭".  Big email providers like Gmail are starting to use AI to "translate" these homoglyphs to plain text so that they can be filtered appropriately.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any products available right now that will "translate" homoglyphs into plain text.  Sorry!

Omar KN

Mar 14, 2024, 2:49:59 AMMar 14
to text...@googlegroups.com
It’s not even a text, so they are *homoglyphs* - who would have thought!

Now we’ll keep away from such stuff - and thank you !

/
with best regards,
Omar KN, Stockholm, Sweden