Justin's Law: update

StopBSL

Jan 10, 2011, 9:43:07 AM1/10/11
to Texans Against BSL
A recent news report indicates that Justin's Law (the proposal that
would make felons out of all Texas "pit bull" owners) supporters have
not yet found a legislator who will sponsor the proposal. They intend
to start shopping around for a sponsor.

The Texas legislative session begins tomorrow (Jan 11). Tomorrow,
please send an email to your state representative and senator (find
yours here: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/) asking them not to
support Justin's Law.

This can be a VERY short email--all you have to say is that you don't
support the proposal called "Justin's Law," and you do not want your
legislator to sponsor or support it.

Thanks very much for your continued concern!

For those who have recently joined the mailing list, here is a run-
down of the legislative process and our position in it.

---Steps for a bill to become law---
1. A group or individual approaches a state legislator (Senator or
Rep) with a proposal. (WE ARE HERE)
2. The legislator decides whether or not to turn the proposal into a
bill.
3. If the legislator supports the proposal, he or she will file a
bill. (by mid-March, 2011)
4. The bill is assigned to a committee.
5. The bill must be heard and approved in a public committee hearing
to move on. Most bills die here.
6. If approved by the committee, the bill is then voted on by the
House and Senate, etc--I'll provide more details if and when we get
here. (by end of May, 2011)

As you can see, we are at the beginning of a prolonged process.

While we watch and wait for an official proposal, please check out the
following groups and free resources.

---Groups---

Love-A-Bull, www.love-a-bull.org (also on Facebook and Twitter)
StopBSL, www.stopbsl.com (also on Facebook and Twitter)
Stop Texas Pit Bull Ban (Facebook), www.facebook.com/#!/StopTexasPitBullBan
No BSL In Texas (Facebook), www.facebook.com/#!/pages/No-BSL-in-Texas/128396560551263
E. Texas for NOT banning dogs (Facebook), www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_162668880440173

---Free Resources---

"The Pit Bull Placebo: The Media, Myths, and Politics of Canine
Aggression" - FREE BOOK ONLINE - http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ncrc-publications/
National Canine Research Council information on Texas fatal dog
attacks: http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/in-your-state/texas/dog-bite-fatalities/
NEW! NCRC 2009 fatal dog attack report--well worth the read:
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/dog-bites/types-of-dog-bites/fatal-dog-attack-reports/

Countless additional resources are available online. If you have any
questions or if you need additional information, please feel free to
ask me.

Thanks as always for your support for the dogs and dog owners of
Texas.

Until the next update--

Jennifer Thomas
www.stopbsl.com