Wichita Falls - BSL in the news

StopBSL

Feb 22, 2012, 10:27:17 AM2/22/12
to Texans Against BSL
A Wichita Falls dog attack has prompted the victim to state that she
intends to pursue a statewide ban on "pit bulls." The attack involved
two loose dogs that apparently had multiple prior complaints. The
victim approached city council for breed-specific restrictions, and
city council told her that changes would have to occur at the state
level (Texas state law does not allow cities to pass BSL).

I have seen quite a few news reports out of Wichita Falls over the
last few years that follow this same pattern: loose dogs +
irresponsible owners + unenforced laws + unresponsive animal control =
a dog attack + a request that the city pass BSL.

The city's response to these incidents is particularly frustrating.
Rather than address the reasons why these dog attacks occur, or
consider how officials could improve dog law enforcement and public
safety, the council shrugs, says their hands are tied, and tells their
residents to ask the state for a breed ban.

Ideally, Wichita Falls probably needs a proactive group of citizens
that can push council for improvements in dog owner education,
ordinance enforcement, and safety. If you live in or near Wichita
Falls, please consider forming a group or becoming active on these
topics. A safer community is a good thing in itself, but will also
reduce calls for state-level breed-specific laws.

The most recent news article can be read here:
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2012/feb/21/victim-dog-attack-speaks-out/

You can contact Wichita Falls council here:
http://www.wichitafallstx.gov/index.aspx?NID=516
glenn....@wichitafallstx.gov; dorothy.roberts-
bu...@wichitafallstx.gov; michae...@wichitafallstx.gov;
annett...@wichitafallstx.gov; rick.h...@wichitafallstx.gov;
tim....@wichitafallstx.gov; mary...@wichitafallstx.gov

The Texas legislative session does not begin until Jan 2013; bill
prefiling will start at the end of 2012. So we have quite a while
before this could become a legislative issue, if at all. I will
certainly let you know if it actually does become a state-level
problem. At this time, I'm hopeful that a proactive local group can
get a handle on the situation in Wichita Falls.

Thanks for being a part of Texans Against BSL!

J. Thomas
www.stopbsl.com
Texans Against BSL alert list, http://groups.google.com/group/texans-against-bsl