Hydrogeology and Horse Hydration in El Dorado Canyon

Robert H. Sydnor

Jun 26, 2013, 2:32:31 PM6/26/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tevis Colleagues:

     Attached please find an updated edition of my report on Tevis Horse Hydration in El Dorado Canyon, with emphasis on Poor Mans Creek.  Hope that you will find this useful.  The Tevis Trail Maintenance Committee has spent many days performing difficult work in El Dorado Canyon to restore, maintain, and preserve the trail, and to improve the springs for horse hydration purposes.  Greg Kimler worked extensively at Kaput Springs, along with Joe Larkin, Chuck Mather, and Mike Shackelford.  I worked at Poor Mans Creek.

        This is a drought year, with almost no precipitation in January and February 2013 and minimal snow-pack,  so stream-flow in the Sierra Nevada is significantly diminished by summertime.

       In this revised edition, I removed one clause on page two (at Deadwood Vet-Check) which suggested how many minutes to hydrate your horse at the water-troughs.  This is a "No-Hold" Vet-Check, so riders should depart in a timely manner, after properly hydrating your horse.   Experienced endurance Veterinarians and Tevis Cup Committee members are right there to assist you.

Respectfully submitted, Robert H. Sydnor

Tevis Trail Maintenance Committee  (under Greg Kimler, WSTF Governor)
Tevis Ride Committee (under Chuck Stalley, Ride Director)
AERC Trail Master
California Certified Hydrogeologist #6

Tevis Horse Hydration in El Dorado Canyon by Robert Sydnor, 6-21-2013.pdf