Legacy Buckles

Barbara White

Mar 12, 2012, 10:29:06 AM3/12/12
to teviscup google
Share the journey and share the buckles!  A new Tevis Program is starting this year, announced at the AERC Convention.  It's challenging enough to ride 100 tough miles.  To pay the additional $150.00 for your buckle seems unfair.  Generous riders from decades ago are donating their buckles back to WSTF so that first time finishers can choose, at no charge, to win one of these Legacy Buckles.  Each buckle will be engraved with the year and the name of the horse and rider that earned it.  It will become the silver representation of not just one, but two, journeys over the mountains.

M Paul Latiolais

Mar 12, 2012, 2:54:01 PM3/12/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Oooh! I want one!!!  Besides finishing this year, what else will I have to do?

-Paul

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Barbara White <barb...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Share the journey and share the buckles!  A new Tevis Program is starting this year, announced at the AERC Convention.  It's challenging enough to ride 100 tough miles.  To pay the additional $150.00 for your buckle seems unfair.  Generous riders from decades ago are donating their buckles back to WSTF so that first time finishers can choose, at no charge, to win one of these Legacy Buckles.  Each buckle will be engraved with the year and the name of the horse and rider that earned it.  It will become the silver representation of not just one, but two, journeys over the mountains.

Barbara White

Mar 12, 2012, 3:27:46 PM3/12/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
If you have never finished the Tevis before, it is simple.  Enter the ride, ride your horse 100 miles, and show up at the awards banquet.  :) Since it is a new program and the applications don't indicate it, do not pay the buckle fee of $150.00, even though you want one.  The legacy buckle comes at no charge; you will have earned it by successfully challenging the mountains.  It doesn't matter how many times you may have entered in the past, as long as you haven't finished, you are entitled to the buckle on your first completion.

Mar 12, 2012, 6:07:37 PM3/12/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
I already paid. I suppose I could still ask for a legacy buckle.

Sent from my iPhone

Barbara White

Mar 12, 2012, 6:13:08 PM3/12/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry.  You will get a refund.

Jun 9, 2013, 10:39:45 PM6/9/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
I'm sending in my entry form - I've never done the Tevis ride - I am paying the $150 for the regular buckle - but I'm not sure I understand the Legacy buckle deal - do you have to pick the reg. vs. the legacy or if you're a first time finisher is it automatic?

. o o o o
. o_ \ \____ o_ \_\
. (*)~(*)\_______/
. / \
. \______/ /
. \_______/\ /-
. o-- /_/ \ /
. / \ / /
. o o o-- /
. / \
. o o
heidi larson

Barbara White

Jun 9, 2013, 10:55:51 PM6/9/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Heidi,

I was just going to write to you!  First of all, Legacy Buckles are free (as long as you ride 100 miles :)) for first time finishers.  They are buckles earned by someone else, and they have the name of the rider, horse and year engraved on the back, with plenty of room for your own data, if you want to engrave it later yourself.  If you would, in fact, prefer your own buckle then you pay $150.00 for a brand spanking new buckle.  It's your choice and either way, you get to keep the buckle.  Last year 42 Legacy Buckles were awarded.  One rider wanted to purchase a new one but did not finish, so that means all first time finishers went home with Legacy Buckles last year, free of charge.  It's all up to you.

I wanted to comment on a FB post about water above the swinging bridge.  Yes, there is water up a little ways after you cross the bridge.  I was up there last week and it is still flowing.  However, it's been a very dry year and I intend to make sure it is still flowing come ride day.  That said, if the ride weather is very hot and your horse is feeling it, I recommend going down into the river before crossing the bridge.  There is plenty of room down there and you can get a good cool down on both your horse and yourself by going in a ways.  I believe a partial submersion can do wonders for the body's core temperature, much more so that scooping from a shallow creek.  It's a long, hot ride out of there to Devil's Thumb.  Again, just like the Legacy Buckles and going over Cougar Rock, it's rider choice.

Barbara

Jun 10, 2013, 12:56:13 AM6/10/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Barbara - I am sending out my paperwork today and had sent in the $150 as well as marked that I'd be a first time finisher so wasn't sure which had priority - I would imagine you can't get both!  Good to know about the river/bridge area too!  Thank you for the extra info. The Tevis website doesn't make Cougar Rock look to fearsome, but the youtube video is a bit daunting!  I guess we'll just wing it!  :)  I do live in the cooler temp Pacific Northwest and am wondering how to heat train.  Should I blanket all the time or ride with a rump rug or ???  Sometimes I pasture chase, I suppose I could blanket for that.  He's on a bit of down time now after a fairly fast and technical 75 miler last weekend.

. o o o o
. o_ \ \____ o_ \_\
. / \
. / \ / /