Tevis Crossing at Poverty Bar of the Middle Fork of the American River

Robert H. Sydnor

Jun 14, 2013, 10:41:23 PM6/14/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tevis Colleagues:

     During the Tevis Cup, the Middle Fork of the American River is crossed during the nighttime at Poverty Bar.  There is a rope stretched across with glow-sticks to guide the horses and riders at the optimum location to ford the river.

    The river will be at low to moderate flow for July (because of the drought in the Sierras).  Furthermore, the Placer County Water District will temporarily restrict the volume and velocity of the water at the upstream dam during Saturday, July 20th (keeping only enough water for the fish).

    Local Tevis riders in the Auburn area have opportunity for practicing the river crossing.  During the Tevis Educational Ride on Saturday, June 1st, three dozen riders practiced the river crossing.  And we thank Terryl Reed for her leadership in organizing the Tevis Educational Ride.

    However, the attached report is not written for the "local" riders who are already familiar with Poverty Bar.  Instead, it meant to assist Tevis riders who may be travelling from other states and other nations.

    The geological report emphasizes the fluvial geomorphology of the gravel sandbar, the deep hole of water in the middle of the river (do *not* cross there), and the influence of the downstream bedrock on the morphology of the thalweg of this fluvial system.

     (Sidebar comment:  in the University of California, young geology students spend many years taking academic course work on precisely how a river cuts its channel.  This academic term is called fluvial geomorphology.  So, yes, we are especially qualified in this academic endeavor.... and Tevis benefits.)

     The photographs were taken in the daylight during Tevis Trail maintenance.  You will be crossing at night-time, so presciently study the photos.  The virtual reality is meant to assist experienced AERC riders coming from afar so that they can visualize the crossing and perform it safely.

Epilogue:  Yes, there was a serious incident at the river crossing on Wednesday afternoon, June 12, 2013.    That is precisely why the Tevis Trail Crew is reposting a scholarly geologic report written last year.

        Respectfully submitted,

        Robert H. Sydnor
        AERC Trail Master
        Member, Tevis Ride Committee (under Ride Director Chuck Stalley)
        Member, Tevis Trail Maintenance Committee (under WSTF Governor Greg Kimler)
        Member, American Endurance Ride Conference
        California State licensed Hydrogeologist #6
        California State licensed Engineering Geologist #968
        California State licensed Professional Geologist #3267
        Fellow, Geological Society of America
        Life Member, California Academy of Sciences

River Crossing at Poverty Bar for the Tevis Cup, 24Feb2012.pdf

Kathy Sherman

Jun 16, 2013, 3:43:37 PM6/16/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report, Robert. It explains why I always feel like my horse is going downriver then heading back upriver to the shore as that is just what he should be doing.  Here is a link to the scheduled water releases from Oxbow, however we know that this schedule is not guaranteed.  Here's some advice from a person who has spent a lot of time on the river for years: The "bubble" of the water release reaches the area of the crossing at about 1:30 PM daily raising the water by several feet and making the crossing dangerous for horses and humans there is a secondary release in summer but the high water is after midnight.
Kathy

Steve Elliott

Jun 16, 2013, 4:10:30 PM6/16/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Its from the gold dredging every hole in most  rivers, gold seekers

Sent from my iPhone