Barefoot Tevis Horses

Diana Hiiesalu

Aug 16, 2012, 2:22:40 PM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
I read somewhere in my Tevis pile o' papers and believe it said that if a horse had veterinary documentation of rides finished the last 12 months barefoot with no issues, the Tevis group (vets?) would look at the data and decide on if they would allow the riders to keep their horses bare. I might have tossed the paper, so can't help other than that.

Diana Hiiesalu Bain

Crysta Turnage

Aug 16, 2012, 2:31:34 PM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
You're right Diana - It's in the Tevis Rules found here, Rule 1.e:

  1. Barefoot horses: Riding a barefoot horse/mule 100 miles over rocky ground is not recommended and will not be permitted unless special approval to do so is granted by the WSTF Head Veterinarian not later than one week prior to the date of the Ride. An exception requesting that a horse/mule be allowed to enter the ride barefoot will not be considered unless the request is received at the WSTF Office at least 30 days before the Ride an is accompanied by written proof, satisfactory to the Head Veterinarian, that the horse/mule has successfully completed multiple endurance rides of at least 50 miles or more, without shores or protective footwear, and without injury, within the previous 12 months.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Diana Hiiesalu <ent...@earthlink.net> wrote:
I read somewhere in my Tevis pile o' papers and believe it said that if a horse had veterinary documentation of rides finished the last 12 months barefoot with no issues, the Tevis group (vets?) would look at the data and decide on if they would allow the riders to keep their horses bare. I might have tossed the paper, so can't help other than that.

Diana Hiiesalu Bain

~ Crysta
http://dreammakker.blogspot.com/

"Those of us who finish near the back, make the rest of you look good."
<\__~

Diana Hiiesalu

Aug 16, 2012, 2:32:51 PM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com