2 riding barefoot at Tevis 2012

roger_and...@yahoo.com

Aug 16, 2012, 8:44:02 AM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what was the procedure used to grant permission to these two riders.  This sets a dangerous precedent.  Can you imagine the field day the animal rights groups would have had if the horses were pulled for a foot related issue?   I understand that these horses had a proven history of barefoot rides, that hoof armor was used, and that there was requirement for evidence from prior rides.

Is there a written procedure in place that defines how exceptions to rules are granted?  If yes, where can the procedure be found?

What happens when someone decides to make a name for themselves by riding bare back or with out head gear?  You say that would never happen, well who would have thought someone would want to intentionally ride barefoot over the Sierras? How is this going to be handled next year when 20 barefoot zealots want to prove that barefoot is the way for all horses?

Roger Ward

Crysta Turnage

Aug 16, 2012, 9:48:21 AM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Someone has already ridden without headgear.  I believe her name was Tracey Falcone and she rode the 50th Anniversary ride in 2004 if I recall correctly.  She rode with only a Parelli neck rope and I only heard about how wonderful her horse was, no issues.  I've also heard stories of riders in years gone by that rode at least a portion of the trail bareback due to a saddle sore or other issues with their horse.  Wasn't it Dru Barner (or one of the young Tevis girls?) who rode the entire ride without a girth on her saddle due to a gall??

Neither of these was the end of the world and I sincerely doubt many riders would want to risk their completion just to try to ride it barefoot.

--
~ Crysta
http://dreammakker.blogspot.com/

"Those of us who finish near the back, make the rest of you look good."
<\__~
 ((  ))...........

Roger Ward

Sherman

Aug 16, 2012, 11:59:06 AM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know saddles are not a requirement either. I can't remember her name right now, but there was a rider that rode many rides bareback. Horses get lame at rides, they get sore sore backs, girth galls, dehydrated, etc, regardless of equipment or supplements we use or how much water we offer them at rides. It can happen on a trail ride or a 25, 50, or 100 mile ride. We have the vets and ourselves to monitor our horses' conditions and stop when we need to. I have a horse that if she were younger would be a candidate for barefoot 50s and even Tevis. She's never taken a tender step.

As Crysta says, these riders were not trying to prove anything, they just wanted to ride Tevis and their horses do all their rides barefoot, including 3-days of 50s, they didn't want to change what works for their horses for Tevis. That's what makes sense. Their horses have a good completion records of doing 50s barefoot and they are accustomed to riding on rocky terrain. It works for them and its not a problem or issue.

Ride managers  determines whether hoof protection is required at a ride. Many rides allow barefoot horses to participate. Tevis ride management made a good decision to allow proven barefoot endurance horses to enter the Tevis ride. The proof is in the results.

Kathy

Steve Elliott

Aug 16, 2012, 7:08:56 PM8/16/12
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
I'll pick the insurance to use hoof protection,   beiieve me, iv'e studied this a bit  and the ones that are barefoot say thier horse's are sore after the ride .  so protect the horse damn it !

 for helmets  im for riding the way with or wthout,  and saddles and other things are optional

Steve Elliott Farrier Services
      HoofWorks USA
        916-217 2379
Last Chance Productions  Media