following riders online day of race

san...@bigbend.edu

Jun 27, 2013, 10:03:48 AM6/27/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Is there someone who can tell me where the link will be posted to follow riders' progress online during race day? Many thanks!
Sandy Cheek

Barbara White

Jun 27, 2013, 10:13:29 AM6/27/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
Sandy,

It should be pretty obvious on the website when the time comes.  One caveat - please tell your "viewers" that there are many challenges to keeping the webcast up to date and accurate due to the location of the trail.  The webcasters do the best they can, but it's not perfect.  So...if you disappear for awhile, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem.  More likely a small glitch in communications...

Barbara

xo

Jun 27, 2013, 10:42:58 AM6/27/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com
though i'm personally against using mobile technology while riding, having a cell phone in a water resistant bag is a great backup device for your rider to have in case something happens. if it is an apple product, you might even be able to find out where your riders are using the "find my iPhone" or "find my friends" app/feature when they come out of the no reception canyons. however, i have found that the ride is very adept at keeping crew and spectators up to date especially given the challenges most these volunteers face during the ride.
--
-|o

Cheek, Sandy

Jun 27, 2013, 1:03:55 PM6/27/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye out…

Sandy

Sandy Cheek

Director of Basic Skills and Japanese Agricultural Training Program

Big Bend Community College

50th-anniversary-logo-final-email%20sig

7662 Chanute St. NE

Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

509.793.2305

1.877.745.1212

Fax 509.762.2696

san...@bigbend.edu

elsietee

Jun 27, 2013, 7:30:14 PM6/27/13
to tevi...@googlegroups.com, Barbara White
As Barbara says - they do their best (I've been there, done that, and you've no idea how hard it is to NOT transpose numbers when you've been awake 20 hours and input sheet after sheet after sheet of rider numbers). Some check points only report the first 20/last 20, while others report the whole field (in and out - that can be 400 numbers). And keep in mind it's easy to miss a rider # if they all come in in a big group. If your rider shows up pulled or in a strange place - check again later and don't automatically assume it as gospel. The mistake may be found and rectified at the next update.

Also keep in mind that just because your rider stops at a particular location for longer than usual/planned, it's not necessarily significant. Last year when Fergus (16:2 hh TWH/arab - so a big boy) got to Last Chance, the vet was concerned about quiet gut sounds. So we stayed at LC for maybe an extra 20-25 minutes for him to munch (during this time, I was working on padding a rub problem I was developing on my calf, so nothing significant, but something that needed taking care of). And then again at Deadwood, I stayed an extra 10 minutes to let him scoff down a big pan of bran mash. There wasn't anything *bad*, per se, going on, but I know my husband was quite concerned (not sure if for me, or for his horse :)  ))

And lastly - even though many location don't have cell coverage, there are many places where you can get a txt out to let your crew know what's going on - if you do get pulled f'instance. Worth doing, since the more remote your pull, the longer it could take to get you and your horse trailered out of there, so your crew might appreciate knowing that they have time to get something to eat/move your rig/take a nap, etc.

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:13:29 AM UTC-7, Barbara White wrote:
It should be pretty obvious on the website when the time comes.  One caveat - please tell your "viewers" that there are many challenges to keeping the webcast up to date and accurate due to the location of the trail.  The webcasters do the best they can, but it's not perfect.  So...if you disappear for awhile, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem.  More likely a small glitch in communications...

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Cheek, Sandy

Jun 27, 2013, 8:26:14 PM6/27/13