Using tethys3 portal_settings.yml

Riley Hales

Mar 3, 2020, 6:11:54 PM3/3/20
to Tethys Platform
Tethys community,

I have a production instance of tethys3. After making changes to the portal_config.yml with the tethys settings command, do i need to run another command to make the settings in the yml start getting used? I dont see any changes to my portal after modifying portal_config.yml. i've tried supervisorctl restart all.

Thanks,

Riley Hales

swainn

Mar 3, 2020, 6:15:52 PM3/3/20
to Tethys Platform
A supervisorctl restart all should be sufficient. What were the settings?

Riley Hales

Mar 25, 2020, 2:16:24 AM3/25/20
to Tethys Platform
Sorry for taking a long time to get back to this. Yeah i was guessing i just needed to do a supervisor restart which is why i was surprised.

The particular keys i've spent some time on were settings.TETHYS_PORTAL_CONFIG.ENABLE_OPEN_SIGNUP and .ENABLE_OPEN_PORTAL. The cli command for editing the yml works fine. I can manually type it and use the cli and get the same result in the file. I just doesn't seem to change all the settings i would expect. I've had some issues both locally and in production. The open sign up i've made work on my laptop but not on the server. I just can't seem to find the pattern for why it works sometimes and not others.

Has anyone else found problems with using the portal_config.yml keys? Does the portal log any kind of messages for the file somewhere? I'm wondering if i can check a log and see if its not being read correctly or something like that.

Thanks for you help!

Riley

Scott Christensen

Mar 25, 2020, 8:30:35 AM3/25/20
to Riley Hales, Tethys Platform
Riley,

Unfortunately there are some bugs with the settings. I went back and forth on the implementation and ended up being inconsistent. See issues #527 and #539 (https://github.com/tethysplatform/tethys/issues/527https://github.com/tethysplatform/tethys/issues/539). PR #532 fixes the documentation for #527, but what you need to do is just set ENABLE_OPEN_SIGNUP and ENABLE_OPEN_PORTAL directly under the settings key (i.e. don't use the TETHYS_PORTAL_CONFIG key).

The right way

settings:
  ENABLE_OPEN_SIGNUP: True
  ENABLE_OPEN_PORTAL: True

The wrong way

settings:
  TEHYS_PORTAL_CONFIG:
     ENABLE_OPEN_SIGNUP: True
     ENABLE_OPEN_PORTAL: True

Riley Hales

Mar 25, 2020, 12:53:55 PM3/25/20
to Scott Christensen, Tethys Platform
Scott,

Thanks for the help. I’ll read those issues on GitHub. I’m just happy that there’s an explanation and its a known issue. I was going crazy trying to figure out what the pattern was in the config file working sometimes and not others. I’ll try using the keys you showed and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks again

Riley