Some random thoughts

Deering, Brian R.

Jun 30, 2007, 11:47:16 AM6/30/07
to tet_p...@googlegroups.com
Fred

A collaborative effort, like what we're undertaking, could be really cutting edge stuff that wouldn't require you to become a digital guru. And there are things we can do that could make this perhaps different than anything that's ever taken place at Whittier. And, I think, we can have some fun with it along the way.

I believe that you have at your disposal many resources that you're not aware of. For instance, if we open this effort to a broad group like your students, or anyone on campus, or anyone with an interest in the project regardless of their location, life situation, or ability a couple of things will happen. Some of the people will be observers and lurkers who offer little or no input but can be carried with no burden. These are the people who want to be aware of everything but not involved. There will be some who have a tangential interest but will sometimes surprise with innovative and insightful observations and suggestions. There will be people who are willing to help, to provide content, to locate resources, in short, to do leg work. There will be still others who have first-hand knowledge waiting to be tapped. If we do this with openness and transparency I think we'll be surprised by how willingly people will self-organize and participate. Immediately, I can think of two people I want to invite in. Both are Army (NG and Reserve) who would be interested in the work and have great insights into the more technical aspects of this effort.

For students who just want to observe there will be insight into how to conduct a substantive, scholarly research program, how to tap into, or create, a collaborative team of disparate individuals that will be so valuable in the next 50 years. If we carry this effort into a longer term project they'll gain further insights. And, we're doing this in the medium that college students understand. It's a whole new paradigm

Using the Listserv we can include thousands of people as easily as we can just 20. We also have administrative controls we can use to moderate the immoderates who might want to stray from the subject at hand and submit unproductive rants, we can blacklist anyone who abuses the List or we can lock the List so no one gains entry without being invited and approved.

With a Wiki, which is incredibly easy to use, we can author stuff in the open inviting comment at every stage, or not, it's our choice. The Wiki also makes it easy for others, like those who have first-hand knowledge of the events but lack the wherewithal or fortitude to write their own book, to contribute content to the project.

I suggest we proceed sort of this way:

  1. We scope this effort so we know where the boundaries of effort are. We make this a brainstorming activity where we assume unlimited resources.
  2. We do a loose work break down and assess the level of effort required for the various tasks.
  3. We determine the tasks required to achieve the minimum acceptable outcomes.
  4. We determine project feasibility given the minimum  level of effort required and available resources, which initially may be just the three of us.
  5. Execute the plan.
  6. Bask in the glory of a well done project
  7. Receive the inevitable and innumerable accolades.
  8. Depart on the world-wide speaking circuit and explain to the "lessers" how we did this.
I'd like the initial scope to be expansive. We execute the project we're capable of and, if more resources become available, we'll have a pretty good idea where they can be applied.

Perhaps we want to break the scoping into two segments. One, an "effort" to get us to the 40th anniversary, and a "project" to carry the work into something larger if we decide to do so.

Thoughts, anyone?

Brian