TestNG 7.6.0 released !!

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

May 17, 2022, 11:32:44 PM5/17/22
to testng-users

Hello everyone,

On behalf of the TestNG Dev team,I am pleased to announce the availability of TestNG 7.6.0 org.testng:testng:7.6.0

TestNG 7.6.0 is now available in Maven Central.

This is the first of the TestNG releases that now has a minimum JDK dependency of JDK11.

So if you are not on JDK11 yet, now is a good time and a good reason to upgrade your project to JDK11.

Contributors who helped make TestNG become better in this release:

  • Dzmitry Sankouski
  • Nan Liang
  • Adam Kaczmarek
  • Martin Aldrin
  • Andrei Solntsev
  • Anton Velma

Special thanks go to:

  • Julien Herr for helping out with all the code reviews
  • To all the other contributors who made this release possible.

In this release, we spent time squashing some bugs (Please see below for a full list of issues that were fixed)

Complete list of bugs that were fixed are as below:

  • GITHUB-2741: Show fully qualified name of the test instead of just the function name for better readability of test output.
  • GITHUB-2725: Honour custom attribute values in TestNG default reports
  • GITHUB-2726: @AfterClass config method is executed for EACH @Test method when parallel == methods
  • GITHUB-2752: TestListener is being lost when implementing both IClassListener and ITestListener
  • GITHUB-2724: DataProvider: possibility to unload dataprovider class, when done with it
  • GITHUB-217: Configure TestNG to fail when there’s a failure in data provider
  • GITHUB-2743: SuiteRunner could not be initial by default Configuration
  • GITHUB-2729: beforeConfiguration() listener method should be invoked for skipped configurations as well
  • assertEqualsNoOrder for Collection and Iterators size check was missing
  • GITHUB-2709: Testnames not working together with suites in suite
  • GITHUB-2704: IHookable and IConfigurable callback discrepancy
  • GITHUB-2637: Upgrade to JDK11 as the minimum JDK requirements
  • GITHUB-2734: Keep the initial order of listeners
  • GITHUB-2359: Testng @BeforeGroups is running in parallel with test-cases in the group
  • Possible StringIndexOutOfBoundsException in XmlReporter
  • GITHUB-2754: @AfterGroups is executed for each “finished” group when it has multiple groups defined

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

Mark Derricutt

May 18, 2022, 6:50:26 PM5/18/22
to testng...@googlegroups.com
First up - congrats on the release.

Now for a bitch and moan.

Changing the minimum JDK is a MAJOR BREAKING CHANGE.

The website ( no longer maintained it seems, says JDK 8 required).

A minor version change should NOT introduce such a breaking change.

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree

Krishnan Mahadevan

May 18, 2022, 9:38:48 PM5/18/22
to testng...@googlegroups.com
Mark

Thanks for the feedback.

The website is maintained. Just yet to be updated. Will be done today.

The JDK upgrade has been really long due. The last release announcement explicitly called it out.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

May 19, 2022, 1:47:06 AM5/19/22
to testng...@googlegroups.com, Mark Derricutt
Mark does have a point that maybe this release should be called 8.0 and not 7.6.0...

--
Cédric

Mark Derricutt

May 19, 2022, 3:40:04 AM5/19/22
to testng...@googlegroups.com
I’ve already seen several dependabot changes pop up on various github repos I follow with failing builds due to this.

I’m not opposed to the JDK update ( even if I’m still stuck on JDK8 - but finally I have that on track to switch ). And I do recall seeing the announcement mentioned on the last release, I just assumed that change would have landed with a suitable version change - not everyone follows mailing lists and announcement notes.

It’s a problem we’ve had for a long time in Java/Maven land, and Maven has no real means to provide a graceful solution for that.

I keep getting flashbacks to Scala version issues.

Mark

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree