Java virtual threads

Максим Семисенко (7isenko)

Oct 21, 2023, 2:10:01 PM10/21/23
to testng-dev
What about jumping to java 21 and start using virtual threads for tests? Maybe optional.
Could be a good solution for IO-bound testing.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Oct 21, 2023, 11:51:52 PM10/21/23
to testn...@googlegroups.com
Given the fact that testng is still on JDK11 and the slow pace in which our users are able to upgrade JDK on their side, not sure how soon we can get to JDK21.

We have seen a lot of dissatisfaction from users when it comes to upgrading the minimum JDK version for testng.

We could look at saying that testng v8.0 ( currently we are on 7.8.0 which uses jdk11) will start with jdk21.

But personally speaking i am not very keen on maintaining parallel versions because from the maintainers perspective its a bit of challenge. Also the dev community of testng has been constantly shrinking.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Oct 22, 2023, 5:48:54 AM10/22/23
to testn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

TestNG supports the 2 last LTS.
As JDK21 was just released weeks ago, the support of JDK <17 will be dropped soon.
Once saying that it will take years before JDK21 and its virtual threads will be the base JDK.

Alternatively, it could be possible to write an extension for thread management using virtual threads instead of thread pools.
I just don't know If the current SPI allows this kind of replacement.