Handwritten math formula(symbol) recognition

Artur Avetisyan

Apr 26, 2018, 6:45:26 AM4/26/18
to tesseract-ocr
   Hi.

   I'm working on my bachelor thesis about 'Handwritten math formula recognition'. I need to create an Android app which will be used to recognize math formulas from captured images. I have training data (about 100.000 (45x45) images of handwritten math symbols) from Kaggle. I think I need to create something similar to this (I understand that there is much work to be done. Maybe performance can be worse or some symbols can be not recognized).

   I read topic about training Tesseract and I still a little bit confused. I wonder is it possible to use my training data by creating TIFF files? Or is there a way to fine-tune already existing equ.traineddata by adding those new handwritten symbols (from images)?

   Thanks in advance.